Sat, Sep 21, 6:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Okay, enough Vicki- what about Judy and Don?!

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:18 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:30 PM

Sorry if this is old news, but I just need to air my annoyance. Why is NOBODY making clothing for the Judy and Don figures from Poser 5? In all my searches, I've come across a pair of strap heels for Judy. That's it. That's the only clothing I've seen made for her. I know a lot of the designers out there have P5, and its been out for months, but I've seen virtually nothing for the included models, which are very good and highly detailed. Then Vicki 3 comes out and within hours, new stuff for V3 starts pouring out from everywhere. I don't own Vicki, nor do I want to pay for a model when I've got perfectly good ones that are highly morphable and totally compatible with the P5 face room. But I need armor and other props for them- I could build some of it myself, but I don't have the time to do all of it. WHY is there such an aversion to Judy and Don? It frustrates me to no end :(

alamanos ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:38 AM

Probably cause she's butt ugly and looks like and alien took a poop in hear head. I tried seriously for a whole month to come up with some nice characters for her. But I failed, so I went back to Vicky after a few weeks, witch is what I figure most people did. The face room is nice, but the fact that they limited it to 512x512 for texture mapping pretty much rendered it a toy. Curious labs designed the face room and Judy as a throw away to get people to buy poser. You can't do any serious work with them, not enough body morphs and the geometry is too weak. Curious labs had an opportunity to surpass Daz with Judy and Don, but they blew it. Too bad, becuase Judy had potential. alamanos

tasquah ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 11:06 AM

LOL @ alamanos Well that more than answered any questions I had about judy .

queri ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 11:13 AM

Nobody's making much for Posette and Dork either. Serge Marck has made dynamic clothes for Judy and gives a tutorial on how to fit clothes between Judy and Vicki with the cloth room www.poserfashion.net Emily

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 11:33 AM

Attached Link: http://www.philc.net/freestuff.htm

I've been watching this trend also. You may like to view the free clothing I currently have on my site for Judy. Also this week's ["almost freestuff"](http://www.philc.net/P5wrap1.htm) item is for her. On that page I have put a link there for you to give feed back regarding the Judy/Vicki thing.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

jarm ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 12:58 PM

The Poser 5 figures, IMHO are not a patch on Daz's figures, they don't look right, have poor morphs available to them and I cannot get anything worthwhile out of them. Add to this the fact that most vendors have casted their votes by not supporting them has pretty much made them throwaway characters. The absurd low res of the face room textures and the none Mike/Vicki issue also gives me little enthusiasm to support Curious Labs Poser 5's figures. Dynamic hair just isn't worth the effort either, it can't be exported to anything else if you render elsewhere and it's far too much of a task to get something good out of it. The only reason Poser 5 has remained on the system is because it's library mangement is marginally better than Poser 4. Roll on Daz Studio, that's all I can say at the moment. Sorry, turned into a rant...oh well...haven't done one for ages. best wishes Jody

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 1:42 PM

file_39711.jpg

I beg to differ about the Face Room being useless. This render was done in Poser 5 with no post-work, the face shape being entirely made in the face room. I resized the texture to 1024x1024 and did color adjusting and minor touch up in PSP 5.1, then re-imported it in the Materials room. The eyes are the Judy MAT pose eyes from Poser 5. The point is, Judy and Don are fine if you work with them a bit. Seems like few people are willing to try.

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 1:47 PM

Oh, and thanks for the link, PhilC! Those costumes look great!

MaterialForge ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 2:06 PM

file_39712.jpg

I agree EsnRedshirt, playing with them can make some cool things. See these test renders I posted about a month or so ago of Don. The Face Room rocks, it is more versatile than appears on the surface. Like a lot of things, you just gotta dig a little deeper to get good results.

MaterialForge ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 2:07 PM

file_39713.jpg

And this...

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 2:50 PM

EsnRedshirt, I'm in a state of shock (and I'm getting a bit old for that, so if I'm carted off to hospital it will be all your fault) But is that really Judy? I'm stunned. I've tried hard to get Judy to stop looking like ET. Without any joy. I've bought Judy-Plus (which is a really great product, but still left me with the feeling that while it's a great improvement, it still shows that you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear). But if you can make Judy look like that, then I might start to like her after all. Thanks for posting that pic. Morph

morganah ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 2:58 PM

I wish someone, with more talent and patience than I, would make a whole bunch of full face morphs for Judy. I like her body... just not her face, and I haven't come up with anything in the face room that I've been satisfied with. I think something like this would be worth buying for most poser 5 people out there.

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 3:25 PM

I like her body... just not her face<< That's been my feeling exactly. With respect to Judy's creator(s), I'm slightly mind-boggled that they gave her such a wide and varied selection of genital morphs, but a face (and facial morphs) that make Barbie look good. :) But Morgana, you should at least have a look at the blurb for Judy-Plus in the store. You might find it's what you're looking for.

MachineClaw ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 3:48 PM

EsnRedshirt, CL has a LOT of free stuff for the poser 5 models on their web site. Runtime DNA did the textures and there is about 150mb of downloadable clothing for Don, Judy, Will, and Penny, all the new poser 5 character models. Its all stuff that didn't make it to the CD2 content cd so CL put it on their web site for free download. Also check the freestuff sections here and at ALL the major poser sites. There is a LOT of free clothing for Don and Judy out there, hires textures for free etc. When I got Poser 5 I was downloading all the free stuff related to Poser 5 and I think I'm at 4 cds of Poser 5 specific stuff. It's out there, just have to search a bit.

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 4:17 PM

Morphy- Yes, it's Judy ;) Like I said, I re-sized the face-room skin, and did touch up. Since the Face Room tries to blend the head to the standard body skin, I will admit I touched up the body skin as well, so it would match. To get the eyes to look like that, I followed most of the steps right off the "Wet Look" tutorial on CL's website, and the hair is the Hmann "Silky" hair, with a slight rescale to better fit the head. I also rescaled the body itself, though you can't see it in the picture. Judy's got wide hips, but a simple reduction of those to around 90% scale, plus a slight reduction in chest size, gave her a much more Asian-looking frame. Maybe I should release it as a full-body morph target, and release the head as a morph target as well; the trick is finding someone willing to host it. Judy may not have many built-in full-body morphs, but some careful tweaking and rescaling of specific body parts can make a lot of difference. Heck, by resizing her to adolescent and scaling the chest, hips, and head, I made her into a halfling so I could do a render of one of my D&D characters. MachineClaw, thanks, I'll do some more hunting around; though I already got the stuff off the CL homepage- it's only new textures, not new clothes. Maybe I should be more specific- I'd really like to see some conforming armor/clothes for Judy and Don in various medieval styles. There's a ton out for Vicki, but tight conforms aren't easy to re-tool to fit Judy's figure.

Philodox ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 4:40 PM

file_39714.jpg

Kinda human looking for an alien, but then again, I've never seen a real alien, so I couldn't tell you... this is just minor tweaking on one of the face room presets (actually the first one that comes up) for Judy...

pdxjims ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 4:55 PM

Sorry, Don and Judy just aren't V2, M2 or V3. Lower res, lots fewer morphs, bad design in many ways. Set Don's muscular controls and see how strange he can be. Rough edges, body parts that don't fit. Yes, with a lot of effort they can be made acceptable, even good. But why should I waste my time trying to get Don to look good, when I can use Mike or even V3 as a man and get a much better start to something that can look great (at least by someone with more talent than me)? And yes, the face room is fun, but the small design screens and lack of fine control make it very difficult for me to use. CL isn't going to allow us to resize the windows like in all the other rooms, so it looks like improvements there are at an end. I'd rather use my P5 time making new materials and hair. To me until the basic specifications and method of use of the face room is consistant with the interface in the other rooms, it's a toy added to increase sales, not anything for real work. I'd love to be able to use it, but my eyes and hand control can't go that fine with those hard to place little dots on that tiny little picture. I had real hopes for Don and Judy. I had hopes for the face room. I'm not really happy with them. However, the materials room and the setup room more than make up for it for me. I'll stick to the Millenium figures for now, and hope that someone does more high quality figures, but except for an exercise on how to get the most out of something not as good, Don and Vicky just take up space.

fls13 ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 5:42 PM

I like the P5 figures a lot, mostly because of the face room. It's fast and simple to get rid of the stock look, unlike the DAZ figures and the P4s. I think that feature is awesome. If the figures are clothed, you just don't need anything else. But, the body morphs are lacking. Get busy, somebody, on body morphs for Don and Judy.

EmpressZario ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 7:02 PM

I like Judy's body better than Victoria's... It's more realistic and more average than Vicki's

fls13 ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 7:40 PM

file_39715.jpg

She's crying out for more body morphs. Don prefers to stay clothes. I can understand that.

Velen ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 7:41 PM

I dont know where you have looked for clothing. But PhilC for one puts stuff out for Judy and have seen a fer others here on Rosaty for her. hmmmm

hmatienzo ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 7:42 PM

They take up no more space than did Dork and Posette at first, or the (gasp) ugly P2 dolls, or even Vicky1 when she first came out! Until people started designing great stuff for them, they all were just ugly plastic nothings. Remember all the complaints Vicky got not too long ago? I like Judy and Don... just wish I had the talent to design for them.

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:24 PM

file_39716.jpg

Here's one of my butt ugly Judy's.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:26 PM

file_39717.jpg

and another

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:28 PM

file_39718.jpg

and my first attempt at judy.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:30 PM

file_39719.jpg

and this

fls13 ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:33 PM

file_39720.jpg

A vertex is a vertex. A mesh is a mesh. It's the artist who can make it, and then, the beauty of this arena, another artist can expand upon the original great work. Dynamic draping makes any mesh that is shaped like clothing fit right to P5s. I'd like to see more good tutorials on how to convert those .objs into conforming clothes for the P5s.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:35 PM

file_39721.jpg

or this

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:37 PM

file_39722.jpg

but since you say she's butt ugly, then all mama can say is "Come here, sonney, let me adjust your glasses"

STORM3 ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 8:46 PM

Bottom line is that CL have largely blown/damaged their cred with the Poser community for an extensive range of reasons.
JuDy is a re-engineered version of Posette 4 for CL by leading members of RunTime DNA (and largely crap IMHO). Divorce yourself from the politics of the various sites that seek to profit from your dilemma and look at the realities.

Ask yourself what you want a model to do for you in terms of resolution, diversity, market product, adaptability and usability in terms of your system power.

Poceed from there.

Regards
STORM

shelly ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 9:57 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_39723.jpg

I have all the "Vic's" and all the "Michael's" and they are great chars to work with but don't over look Judy and Don. I find them easy to work with, and the face room allows many possibilities. The above is the stock Judy with minor tweaks and some custom butt morphs I created and bts Vic texture (modified by me).

fls13 ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:10 PM

Who's playing politics and who's playing for profit? The whole Poser 5 app is a couple hundred bucks, give or take, upgrade or new purchase. The only money I ever feel I wasted on 3D is for a Mike package I bought for $20 from DAZ. I never used it. P5 came out. The genius of Bill Gates is he figured thar there was more money to be made by building software rather than hardware. DAZ is making more money by making support products for software that is for people too lazy to really get into 3D. It's not that they make poor products, it's just that they make products that are irrelevent if you know 3D.

AprilYSH ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:10 PM

file_39724.jpg

my Judy character above :) I paid particular attention to the nostrils... right STORM, and with that in mind I personally have decided to keep using Judy and Don AND Vicki and Mike :) There's a lot more ready made stuff available for Vicki and Mike so I would use them for convenience, but for the joy of playing with figures myself, I go back to Judy and Don. :) I didn't realise RDNA made Judy and Don? Where did you read about that?

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

AprilYSH ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:12 PM

nice character shelly, do you have a closeup of the head? :)

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:16 PM

To me, the most prominent feature of the model are also the worst parts. The hip-shoulder ratio looks significantly off, and the eyes are strangely sloped. If I'm doing a full figure, I notice the overly wide shoulders immediately. If I'm doing a face shot, those eyes bug the hell out of me. Yeah, V1 wasn't that great out of the box, but I waited until people started playing with her before buying her myself, and even out of the box, there were some obvious advantages over Posette. By the time most people get P5, they've already gotten Vicki, so there isn't as much inclination to use Judy. New users come in and see mostly posts about Vicki, so they run over and get her, then let Judy slide. Vendors see everyone buying Vicki products, so they make more Vicki products. With mostly Vicki products available, everyone Judy slides even more. It's a bit of a circle, really.

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:47 PM

A lot of stuff for P5 was made by the RDNA team. Look at the readme's with the bonus disk. You can also see the RDNA logo almost all the P5 textures (well, the new ones anyways). As far as clothing is concerned, just us the Vicky clothing & the cloth room. Import the base clothing object, and export as a single object with welded vertex. Import back in, and scale to the figure, then clothify. Most Vicky clothing (the non-dental floss kind anyways) will usually fit Judy rather well. The toughest part is with the chest. If the chest doesn't line up right with Judy's, and you clothify the object, It looks kinda funky. That can usually be taken care of before exporting the object, though... Happy rendering! ~DM

fls13 ( ) posted Sun, 05 January 2003 at 1:29 AM

Clothify works fine for a figure or two, but if you want more in a scene you need to be able to convert clothified .objs to conforming figures. As far as politics goes, it's all sales. CL developed the app, but has a bad rep. DAZ developed . . . . . .????? But has a great rep. . . . . .???? They developed meshes. . . . .???

duanemoody ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2003 at 2:48 PM

This is what happens when CL doesn't release a MacOS version of P5. Otherwise, I would have had at least ten character head morphs for Judy by now...

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 6:02 AM

file_353877.jpg

> Quote - I beg to differ about the Face Room being useless. This render was done in Poser 5 with no post-work, the face shape being entirely made in the face room. I resized the texture to 1024x1024 and did color adjusting and minor touch up in PSP 5.1, then re-imported it in the Materials room. The eyes are the Judy MAT pose eyes from Poser 5. The point is, Judy and Don are fine if you work with them a bit. Seems like few people are willing to try.

As a long time Pro Pack user, and having at last succeeded in downloading P5, I find myself meeting Judy for the first time.  I light of such, the content of this thread is highly pertenant to what I seek to know.
Question: Having creatd a personalized face in the fac e room, is it possible to spawn a morph target to the head and preserve the face for future posterity and animation?  Logic would tell me yes, but some have said that such is not the case.
Any and all enlightenment will be highly appreciated.

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 7:06 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=18683

file_353885.jpg

Well, it is possible to de-ugly Judy, there is a commercial package called Farrah by Quarker who is drop-dead gorgeous....

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 7:20 AM · edited Mon, 11 September 2006 at 7:27 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity, violence

Shelly: If that's not gorgeous it will do. Any plans for the Judy Butt Pack?

AprilYSH has an excellent package for Judy called Jocosa which includes texture, morph, clothes and even, I think, hair. I bought it at PoserPros, and it's one of my two favorite purchases (other is Tamara by CWShorty, also there).

I've waded into this squabble a dozen times over the years, each time demonstrating that Judy has versitility and potential people refuse to see. Nice that some newbies are doing that work for me. I can just say, "SEE???" The truth is, Judy and Don suffered for the collapse of CL, both in that they inherited the hatred of the community and in that they needed a round of finishing/debugging comparable to (but not as thorough) as the G2 process. And it never happened. I've always felt that RDNA dropped a ball here, in that they could have done a morphpak of fixes and sold a ton of it.

I have most of the DAZ MacMeshes, and I go back to Judy and Don whenever I'm serious about getting something done. By the way, those of you new to Poser might like to know that at least two of the "Judy is ugly" posters are moderators from the DAZ Forum. Think I'll drop by and trash The Freak or something.... Nothing like an unbiased opinion and sales-promoting rumors.

Merchants might want to consider: The reason this thread exists is that there is suddenly a huge new body of P5 users who haven't been taught the CL-hater mantra about Judy and Don. They will want things. Time to fire up Wardrobe Wizard and do some quickie conversions. And wouldn't it be nice if Colm over at RDNA would apply his morph skills to creating a body pack for Judy. My credit card is ready.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 7:23 AM

I know Judy and V2 share the same Texture(s) Mapping.

/me hopes nobody mentioned that one.

=  )

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 8:01 AM

If you are looking for a quick stock of textures, pick up some V2/M2 items in the freestuff. You will have to dig back, because V2 and V3 use different textures, so V2 items will be old. But there are undoubtedly thousands of free V2 textures available.

Also, if you are new to the community, check out PhilC's web site. He's one of the most reliable and positive voices in the Poser business, and his Judy stuff is first-rate. Take a look at Poserworld and see if Steve Shanks has any Judy stuff in his freebies. His subscription site is the bargain of the merchant world. If you are willing to spend money, my first investment would be a short subscription there, which I can guarantee you will renew until you lose interest in Poser.

Finally, drop by RuntimeDNA and join me in asking Colm Jackson to whip up those morphs. He's done miracles with old Jessi, James, and Miki, enough that I am continuing to spend on these characters even though they are all being replaced. Judy needs body extensions. Give her those and learn how to use the Face Room for morphs, and you are on your way.

Short commercial: My Face Room Tutorial.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 4:51 PM

For more quick textures try the Daz3D Universal Texture Converter, to get V3 texture into V2 mapping!

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 8:11 PM

Shelly, that figure is BEAUTIFULL. I always thought Judy was the most realistic female Poser body there was but why they put that moster head on her when the default Face Room head is so pretty eludes me. I am sure the figure died because of that dumb Judy head! I need to see if I can bring the body morphs from Eternal Judy by 3Dream over to the standard Judy so I can use the Face Room. The Face Room is great but I wish you could bring in a morph and I wish there were more basics like Nose Size but I guess that is what magnets are for...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.