Sun, Oct 6, 4:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Texture Tutorials

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 1:00 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 4:18 AM

I look through all the stores and see so many people making textures for all kinds of clothes, hair and figures.

I'm bored out of my skull with Poser 5. All I can do is play dress up doll using bought clothes, hair, poses, lights. Sometimes I can get the clothes to fit, sometimes not. Usually a change of poses works, which means mostly standing and shoeless poses.

I'm sick of pressing buttons and turning dials and working with stuff other people have made. I don't find any satisfaction in anything I render because of that.

I really love working in PSP and can do all kinds of things in it, and find it fun, challenging and interesting, unlike Poser which i find challenging, but not really fun or interesting to work with.

I don't know anything about any room but the Pose room. I tried the material room, and frankly the few times I opened it up I was totally freaked out by all the buttons and controls and am frustrated enough with the rest of the program that I'm not really up to trying to even figure it out.

What I really want to do is work in PSP and make textures for stuff, but have no idea how or even where to begin.

Where do people get the templates to work with? Are there tutorials out there to teach how to work with the templates?

Message edited on: 03/30/2005 01:05

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

stupidest_login_ever ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 1:41 AM

Hey Acadia, If you want make your clothes fit your models without too much fuss and without having to compromise your poses try this http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=677 it REALLY works. Templates for stuff ya buy is often offered on the product page. I don't know what kinds of problems you have in the material room. You can preview what does what in the window at the bottom of the screen so a little experimenting should give you an idea. Textures are easy to make. GOOD textures are harder to make. Great Textures can get very time consuming. Textures like Vali's are still a mystery to me, I just dunno how he makes such great stuff! I am still learning how to map (and it's not going well thus far) and I am confused as hell (especially when I import an obj into Poser and find that the positioning is allllll kinds of different) but I am going to keep trying. Eventually I will get the hang of it and my models will start to resemble that which they are intended too :P If you are looking at the things the top sellers (or even the not-so-top-sellers) on this site are making and hoping to learn how to make things equal to thiers in a day or two.... well......... I suggest you allocate a little more time and patience :) By the way there are all kinds of tutes right here on this site @ http://www.renderosity.com/tut.ez?Sectionid=12356 There are also some good (but less advanced tutes) here: http://www.daz3d.com/support/tutorial/index.php Good Luck and i hope you stick with it!

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 1:42 AM

I wanted to add that I love to "create", and I don't feel like I'm creating anything in poser with what I'm doing. I'd appreciate any help in the creating textures area that anyone can give me.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 1:56 AM · edited Wed, 30 March 2005 at 2:02 AM

Quote - I don't know what kinds of problems you have in the material room. You can preview what does what in the window at the bottom of the screen so a little experimenting should give you an idea.

The problem I have is that it is too confusing. Nodes, buttons galore... I think I stand a better chance at learning how to fly the Discovery than I do in learning the Material room; I haven't even figured out what the material room is for actually. I thought it was a place to apply textures, but it turns out you do that in the Pose room. I do everything in the Pose room. The material room and cloth room just have way too many dials and windows and 'stuff' in them.

I have patience galore when it comes to stuff I'm interested in. I can spend hours and hours in PSP and need to force myself to close it up when I realize I've been engrossed in it for 5 hours or more sometimes. On the other hand I have to force myself to open up Poser and after 1/2 an hour and a render I've had enough. It's just not fun for me :(

I don't get any joy out of playing dress up dolly. I want to make stuff, not stick stuff on a figure and render it.

I've heard people here saying that some people figure that poser is pretty much 'press a button and make art', and frankly that's what I'm feeling it is; at least to me. Press a button add someone's clothes, turn a few dials and make it fit. Press another button and add someone's texture to the clothes. Press another button and add a pose, turn a couple of dials to adjust the clothes. Click another button and someone's hair. Click a button and add someone's lighting. Click a button and render the image. I don't find that fun...or creative.

I spent 2 days trying to pose a figure from scratch and it ended up like a pretzel. I looked at some tutorials for posing; I even have that book called "Secrets of Figure Creation". I think the reason I can't figure a lot of stuff out in Poser is because I'm not really interested in figuring it out. I want to make stuff and Poser doesn't "make" stuff.

i realize that making good textures takes time and effort and practice. I'm not looking to be good in it over night; I realize it will take time, but I want to try it. I want to learn how to do it. I love to make stuff, and I have a great eye for colour and design, and want to create things instead of just playing Barbie. Message edited on: 03/30/2005 02:02

kyraia ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 1:58 AM

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=677 it REALLY works.

Well ...
it depends. For some reason I have not figured out yet, all my Victoria 3 und Michael 3 characters have all their morphs included. That means even the little finger has hundreds of morphs, none of which actually does anything.
So, if I load such a figure into The Tailor, it
is virtually impossible to figure out which of the morphs are the ones I need, making The Tailor virtually useless.

I hope to receive my Poser 6 package soon. Then I will
work throug this problem. Maybe it even solves itself within Poser 6.

stupidest_login_ever ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 2:08 AM

kyraia, I know where you are coming from with that. It can be confusing knowing what does what and why untill you get familair with the .obj for the model you are using. But there is an easy way to use the tailor, just Import your figure and dress and then go up to the top and choose morphs, then choose to add all FBM (full body morphs) in Q. Just make sure you do NOT have the "all morphs are like one body morph" option checked. The result is an article of clothing with ALL the full body borphs available to it. If your system can handle Morph heave figures and you really can't tell that all you need is the breast size 8 and pbm pinup morphs then you can always delete any morphs that you have at zero after you get the clothing to fit right. I used to use magnets to make the clothes fit................. I am hooked on the tailor now! Acadia, you may want to read the p5 manual if you haven't already. It gives a pretty good description on how to use the Material and Hair Rooms. Not so good of a description on the other rooms.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 2:09 AM · edited Wed, 30 March 2005 at 2:14 AM

That Tailor program.... I don't understand... from what I read it looks like you take a figure, add all the clothes and accessories, run that program and it makes everything fit your figure without having to turn dials. Is that correct?

I want to make my own textures for clothes and to give them away to people for them to use. Other than footware, I can pretty much get anything to fit a figure.. unless it's sitting of course.

Quote - Acadia, you may want to read the p5 manual if you haven't already. It gives a pretty good description on how to use the Material and Hair Rooms.

I'm such a nerd that I did read the manual in it's entirety when I got Poser 5. My head was spinning. Sine? Cosine? I felt like I could build my own Poser program after reading the manual. It was more a lesson in higher mathematics than it was a user friendly help guide to a new Poser user. The first lesson is a hair tutorial?!!! That's probably the hardest thing in Poser to do...hair. The manual is way too confusing. It starts to talk about something, then says for more information go "here". Next thing you know you are jumping all over the manual and you have no idea what you were originally trying to figure out. At least that's how it was for me. For the first month I didn't know how to do anything because when I would try to load something, it replaced it; turns out they made a mistake telling you how to add figures, and instead gave you instructions on how to replace them. Sorry, but I gave up on that manual as a lost cause. Message edited on: 03/30/2005 02:14

stupidest_login_ever ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 2:24 AM · edited Wed, 30 March 2005 at 2:32 AM

file_210597.jpg

Nope not correct. There are still lotsa dials to trun when you use tailor :P

It maps the vertices in the clothing to match the vertices in the Model it is meant for, and it is not a one click wonder............... like almost everything it has a learning curve (though VERY slight)

If you have a vector editor (anything that is capable of outputting .ai (adobe illustrator) or eps (encapsulated post script)files you can import .ai and .eps files into almost any 3d editor and use simple commands like extrude and bevel, and a little lateral thinking and some primitives to come up with some nifty stuff in a hurry. No your not going to be making clothes like BVH but ........

Well I made a toilet :D

It takes time to learn Acadia.

Message edited on: 03/30/2005 02:32

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 6:00 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, when you said you can't always get the clothes to fit, stupidest_login_ever thought that you were not matching morphs on the figure. That's what the Tailor is for.

For the material room, here's a beginning tutorial on how to apply textures to a figure in the material room. http://poserpros.daz3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6969
When you apply in the Pose room, you're using MAT files someone else has prepared. That's fine for something quick, but you're losing a lot of power and you're at the whim of the creator. Furthermore, if you want to make textures yourself, you're going to have to know how to apply them, and if you want to distribute you should know how to make MAT files.

Stew has a material room FAQ here http://www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/firefaq.html which you might look over as well.

If you want to make something in Poser (an image, a new clothing design, a new character for a figure, whatever), you have to know what you're trying to make, just like PSP. If you treat it as "just doll theater" and refuse to learn any of the advance capabilities because they're too hard, it's not really fair to blame the program.

Francemi ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 7:12 AM

Acadia, I searched for a good tutorial on creating textures for Poser models but all I found is this one: http://www.raingod.com/angus/OtherWorlds/Resources/Tips/Poser/TextureMaps.html (not that it is not good but it is for a body/head texture and those are not the easiest to achieve).Anyway, it might not hurt to have a look. I have created textures but mine are not the best (far from that). Still, if you want to, you are welcome to modify my textures. It might help you understand how it works. If you want to do that, go to my website http://www.jalberts.net/francemi/, download a few clothes textures and use the jpgs in PSP to change the design/color/etc. to make your own texture out of them. After that, go in Poser, load the model you made the texture for, go in Material room and assign the texture to the model. Sorry, that's all I can do to try to help you.

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

geep ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:00 AM

file_210598.jpg

Hi Acadia, Here is a [ Material Room Tutorial](http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1663563) . Read (view) it in good health. cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:04 AM

file_210599.jpg

Hi (again) Acadia, Texture mapping is alot of fun. What you need to get is the UVMapper software. Get a free copy from [UVMapper.com](http://www.uvmapper.com/) cheers, (again) dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:16 AM · edited Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:18 AM

Yeah! What FyreSpiryt said. Start with a vision of an image you want to create and you'll give purpose to "pressing buttons and turning dials." It's more fun that way.

Message edited on: 03/30/2005 08:18

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 2:48 PM

Quote - Unless I'm mistaken, when you said you can't always get the clothes to fit, stupidest_login_ever thought that you were not matching morphs on the figure. That's what the Tailor is for.

Ahhhh,I misunderstood :). I put that program in my wishlist to buy with my April Poser budget. > Quote - When you apply in the Pose room, you're using MAT files someone else has prepared. That's fine for something quick, but you're losing a lot of power and you're at the whim of the creator.

Yes, I realize that, which is why I'm so bored with Poser. I'm used to having free reign in what I do from working in a graphic program. At the moment I find Poser stifling and limited; largely because I use other people's items, and my lack of understanding of all rooms other than the Pose room...and even then I don't use everything in that room either. Poser is a very hard program to learn. > Quote - Furthermore, if you want to make textures yourself, you're going to have to know how to apply them, and if you want to distribute you should know how to make MAT files.

Yes, you're right. While I would be able to add colour and texture in PSP, I have no clue on how to save the files in the right format. That's something else that confuses me. These file extensions are foreign to me and while I know where to put them so Poser can find and use them, I really have no understanding of the files themselves; how they work, or how to make them. Someone had made a post but I see they have deleted it :( It did give some very good advice. Essentially suggesting that I'm not doing anything with what I do render in Poser. That I should be looking to see how Poser can be used to accentuate other means of artistic creativity in 2D graphics. He/she is right. I'm so bored with Poser at the moment that it doesn't spark any creativity within me, so I just render the images and distribute them to some graphic groups as PSP tubes. They're all ecstatic to have Poser images to work with, I'm happy that they're happy, but I'm left unsatisfied because I'm not using the left side of my brain; the creative part. > Quote - Here is a Material Room Tutorial . Read (view) it in good health.

blinks wow! Lots of arrows. I'm going to print that off and spend some time looking at it and working along with it this evening. It looks like a very thorough overview of the material room, and I'm glad to see based on the attendance in that thread, that I'm not the only one who finds that room mind boggling :) > Quote - Texture mapping is alot of fun. What you need to get is the UVMapper software.

Is that how you make the templates to texturize (like those offered at daz's site on the items' pages?) Thank you for all of the replies. It's given me a number of solutions and some things to think about that I hadn't considered. I'm not going to give up on Poser yet, but I do need "more" than what I'm doing now because I feel like I'm working on an assembly line and just doing the same thing over and over and over...

unzipped ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 3:41 PM

1st read Dr. Geep's tutorials (all of them when you get a chance) on your topic of choice. Then reread them. Secondly, making custom textures (the mechanics, not the artistic part) is pretty easy. 1) Secure a texture template for the figure/prop you have in mind. This can be done either by getting one from the creator of the object (eg. the V3 texture template you can get from the V3 product page at DAZ) or using UV mapper to create one yourself. I believe Snow Sultan has placed MANY excellent texture templates in the free stuff section here as well - you may want to check those out. 3) Bring the texture template into your image editing software of choice (I guess PSP for you). 4) Create your texture however you normally work in your image editor. The template serves as a base, a guideline for how the texture will line up, or arrange itself, when applied to the object in Poser. In some cases it's easy to see the areas of interest - like a mouth, or eye for example, in some cases it's harder, especially making things join properly at the edges of the template. Trial and error is usually the best you can do there. 5) Save your texture as a jpg. Well actually save it in your image editor's native format first, then make copies of it in jpg format. Experiement with different resoutions and compressions depending on your detail vs. performance needs. 6) Apply your texture in poser. In Poser 5+ this happens in the material room to start with - this is where you need to at least learn the basics of that area. That's really all there is to it in a nutshell (except actually painting the texture), hope this helps some Unzipped

SWAMP ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 4:04 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=Pharie82

Acadia, Just reading your post and scrolled up and see it was my post that is missing. Sorry...I had gone back to edit the link but didn't check that the edited version appeared. As I use Word I have a back-up copy so Ill repost *Reposted due to SWAMP's stupidity* "I'm bored out of my skull with Poser 5." "I really love working in PSP...." Well are you waiting for someone to tell you how wrong that is? Or that Poser is the coolest thing going and you have to force yourself to love it? So you make some textures for clothes and then what? Youre right back in Poser again. Why fight what you have a better feel for and really want to do? Stay out of the Poser gallery for a while and spend your time in the 2D and Mixed Media galleries. Look how people use Poser (and other 3D apps) only as a start, to bring elements into PSP, PS, or Painter. Or look at artists like gunsan that uses photos of people as a start for a lot of her work (in PSP), and imagine how a very simple Poser render could replace the photo. Look at the dark gothic work by artist like Pharie82 (link). The surreal Poser work ofdavidho. The Poser related paintings of BlacKeri. Use Poser as an aid or supplement to your work. dont let it use you. SWAMP

queri ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 6:42 PM

I was just thinking, if you're more comfrotable in PSP, you can render your models naked and then paint the clothes on however you want. That should solve the feeling of just dressing up dollies and be very creative. Hair painting is a bit tougher, but still lots of people do it. There are plenty of ways to use Poser as a base and not be stifled with your creativity. You just don't have to use it the way everyone else does, that's all. Emily

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.