Sat, Sep 21, 1:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Contest Announcements

Welcome to the Contest Announcements Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Contest Announcements F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 1:44 am)

Subject: when will holiday contest results come in?

3rdimension ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 6:12 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 1:32 AM

I'm confused, because we were told we would see the results today. whats going on? has the final judging been postponed for another day?

Prufrock81 ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 7:08 PM

Today has been extended to last until Midnight - any complaints should be forwarded to Chronos - the God of Time.

3rdimension ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 9:18 PM

ok thankyou.

chrislenn ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 9:32 PM

granting the extension to submissions by a day may also delay the results

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away

Prufrock81 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 12:07 AM

Oh the tension outside is frightful anticipation has filled the nightful and soon to bed we must go Let us know ! Let us know ! Let us know! =O)

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 1:59 AM

Hard to top that Prufrock81 so I will only say lmao Congrats to all the winners

chrislenn ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 2:06 AM

3d contest page is showing results

Pee on it and walk away

Prufrock81 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 2:14 AM

OMG!

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 2:55 AM

OMG x 3 /O.o

Candid ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 3:55 AM

why is that bitter taste in my mouth?

PixelPizzazz ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 8:46 AM

Congrats to all! - such wonderful contibutions! And, thanks to Renderosity for a fun contest! Looking forward to more in the future. Happy Holidays to all!

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 10:24 AM

it will b my last one

miharo ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 12:03 PM

well... i don't know what to say.... happy holidays everyone....

EmeraldSpider ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 12:19 PM

Now to be perfectly honest I didn't join in this one, I thought Hmmmm tough contest, past, present and future stated in the forum had to be featured in EVERY entry, not impossible but tough. Rather than enter I thought I'd take a step back and I see how this was judged, wether I thought the criteria was met, if I felt that it was judged fairly, what other people thought of the decisions etc. I am so very glad I didn't, this has shown me that from now on I will only use Rendo to buy things and maybe enter some member run contests. I'm not sure what has happened here and no disrespect is meant to any winners at all, but I can only see Past,Present and Future in one or two of the winning entries. In fact those that have made great efforts to incorporate all you have asked have indeed not been rewarded for their considearable efforts. Maybe in future to save wasting of artists time you should STATE that the criteria you set is a flimsy guildline at best maybe then they wouldn't expel so much effort to include all that you ask? Ele

ghatihan ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 12:41 PM

Ele, Miharo, Dinart
I am totally agree with you.. It is incredible.. And definately this one was the last of my entries.. It is too sad to see how we spent our time and afford for such tasteless judge. What about the theme, where is it??
however, if they wanted to give away prizes, why there is a contest??
I have a good enough eye and very fair criteria of art, this is very disappointing..
Now, happy holidays..
Gulcin

Candid ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 1:24 PM

I am one of the winners. I am returning my prize as a protest! The contest wasn't fair!

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 1:26 PM

me too, am "one of the winners" (losers) and i will return the prize

ghatihan ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 1:41 PM

dear candid and dinartfilho, the most unfair judge was in 3D and 2D section i think.. and i really would like to let you know, i do not have any problem with who won and who did not.. i am questioning the judge.. such a big contest in here should do better i think.. you know better what to do ofcourse, but really i don't think it is neccessary to give anything back..

Candid ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 1:46 PM

ghatihan, I am thinking the same as you about this contest. It doesn't matter if I won or not. For me the contest wasn't fair and I don't want a prize, that would be self insult for me. It is not 'I am giving it back because someone doubts the jury' it is 'I am giving it back because I doubt the jury'. And I am not the only one!

Teferis ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 2:14 PM

I think that the judgement failed, Im sad with the contest results (not all, but have many "winners" that not deserve the qualifications), Im disapointed with this forum. Bah.

Prufrock81 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 2:25 PM

You guys should read the requirements a little closer Contest Rules states: "Contest Theme: "Holiday Greetings from the Past, Present & Future": Create a November/December holiday greeting animation that incorporates at least 1 element from the past, present or future." It's pretty clear to me...don't see how that could be misinterpreted. says the same thing for 2D and 3D Hard job to judge these things I bet....however I WOULD expect that incorrect spelling would bump you WAY down the list. I mean the chosen members represent the values of this Website yes? Well a certain top winning animation had some pretty GROSS and OBVIOUS misspellings in his text....really looked bad even though the animation work ROCKED. So anyway - Season's "Greetingses" to everyone!

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 2:58 PM

about "the point" it can be correct but about the quality of the works i still think that it was strange failfull, so strange,is not about just opinion, technical values are watched too, many people are chocked with the results, something are happening is not about winners, losers, bad losers, misunderstandings, or pride

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 3:02 PM

one thing that noone explained is about the formats, the rules are clear "Animation formats: DivX, .avi, .mpg OR standard .mov. " not .wmv

AlfRaMusic ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 3:10 PM

Sorry for my bad English, but the only word i was'nt sure to translate was "Grse" and my translationsoftware is the meaning that it is "Greetingses". Right now, again.:) So, and now, I wait further, on my probably deserved price!!!: -) whether one grants it to me, or not. Greetingses Allibaba

Only 3D and Bryce, comes at my pictures!!!

AlfRaMusic ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 3:14 PM

Formats would have been disqualified, at which cannot be looked by the jury. This can happen also with a codec, that one for an Avi. use. But whoever read and can interpret clearly is at the advantage!!!

Candid ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 3:43 PM

Allibaba don't make me comment your animation please :-). Believe me, you don't want that :-)

AlfRaMusic ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 3:56 PM

Oh yes please comment it.:-) I am sure i can live with it!!!:-) It changed nothing to me. I please to have won me something and that to even know without somebody here. Seem to be normally important. And only this counts for me. I cannot understand the excitement frankly said. If I would not have won anything, I would be to the agenda over gone spares again, but so it is interesting to see, to which there is everything for reasons, to become excited. I will watch this another while.: -)

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 3:58 PM · edited Wed, 21 December 2005 at 4:01 PM

Counsciousness is not for everyone, everything is clear here, dont need to hit anybody, everyone has your own level and the judges supouse to choose the better, so i think that noone is a child here, something really strange, weyrd and bad is going one here and many people are desapointed, if you are conscient or not you dont have any guilty.

Message edited on: 12/21/2005 16:01

Candid ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 4:09 PM

ok, let's go through it. 1. Everything is gray. It is not christmas, it is funeral (yes or no?) 2. This snow is not a snow. Have you seen a snowy street? You know, with path through the snow, where it is stamped with shoeprints, and where snow is untouched - it's nice and blue. Yours is just....dirt (yes or no?) 3. One of the scene has no snow falling. Snow snow snow - wow, no snow, though the camera is still on the street (yes or no?) 4. Many, many typing errors. Not knowing the language is not an excuse, you could consult with someone (yes or no?) 5. Where is the story? Old town outside - sci fi interiors inside? Where is the connection?! Or this sci-fi interior was put because of the theme? (yes or no?) 6. Character animation inside the sci fi interior is very poor. This figure is walking like it needs to go to the toilet (yes or not?) 7. Overall there isn't much point in this animation. If you remove the words and the santa at the end there's no way to know it is about christmas (yes or no?) To the guys that will be annoyed that I am commenting someone elses work - note that I asked for permission and received it.

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 4:33 PM

Fakeosity

AlfRaMusic ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 4:34 PM

You are right and I the second place.: -)

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 4:39 PM

and will b for aaaalll your life , merry xmas!

EmeraldSpider ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 4:42 PM

"Contest Theme: "Holiday Greetings from the Past, Present & Future": Create a November/December holiday greeting animation that incorporates at least 1 element from the past, present or future." It's pretty clear to me...don't see how that could be misinterpreted. Sorry but this was stated in the contest rules yes, but several artists asked for clarification at the beginning of the contest and it was stated very clearly by and Admin that the contest rules were misrepresented and that you had to include ALL THREE concepts in your finished piece. Now a lot of artists on here actually make a living doing this, and it's not always about the winning but also a case of professional pride. Some will have turned down work to place considerable effort into entering a piece here, and when asking an Admin to clarify rules should be given the CORRECT answer. Not led up the garden path to spend multiple hours adding elements that not only are not needed, but ignored and don't gain you any reward for your efforts, while judging takes place. In fact the rules should be clear to begin with, yet some of the winning entries plainly DON'T include ANY elements. So my argument stands. To be honest not only should the winning entries at least included ONE element, the overall winner most definitley should have included ALL THREE. It's not as if you were short of entries including one or all three entries. Why mislead artists, for an art community that places so little regard for the time and effort taken to achieve what you ask, only to kick them in the teeth and disregard it come judging time. Why not simply if it was your intention to judge it this way, call it the Holiday Contest-and leave it at that. I will add this isn't about technical merit, art in it's self is down to perception. But when it states that certain elements are required, and you can plainly see for yourself that they HAVE NOT been included, how can we sit back and understand your judging. Now as I said winners can dismiss my arguments as sour grapes, and had I entered they would have been I suppose. But I didn't, I read the rules and took a step back to see how it would be handled, I was dissapointed, art communities that make money from artists should have more regard for our time and effort than they plainly do Ele

DinartFilho ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 5:06 PM

it is enough for me, i will not hit to the wall, noone asked where the musics are from, noone asked the technical requiriments , the judgement is clearly "strange" many people had solid works and desappeared in poor works, many people used already models, scenes etc and it was not looked at, many people didnt follow any concept etc etc etc you look at the winners and clearly see that something is wrong, in all visual entrys and now we have this torrent of deceptions with competitors and non competitors, the position of the forum is clear too, they will not make anything about, is a shame , nobody cares abut effort, the animation contest the animation doesnt matter ( what kind of judge is it? ) the rules are bended , the 3d contest was a complete joke , many ready models the winners are clearly not the best ones, the 2d is tooo strange because they used photos , there is a photos contest, well, a complete mess, all the contest is just a number, brandys are highlighted, there are many entrys, there are expensive prizes, there are artists, there are judjes and there are rules, i think that it is enough for them, now we have another number, the deceptions, well, it doesnt count anyway... numbers... numbers... numbers, i wanna know what the brandys will think if they see it... if Renderosity say that they are wrong it will be very bad for then, if not.... is bad for us and them, so my conclusion, it is not inteligent to participate anymore, the forum is doomed for me

EmeraldSpider ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 5:10 PM

Have to say Dinart, myself and my husband LOVED!!! your entry, I especially liked the concept of the time machine to speed up present production and both me and my other half liked the future Santa with the Jordy La-Forge visor. Well done!! it was an inspired piece :) Ele P.S I also liked the drunk elf at the end

Prufrock81 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 6:22 PM

I don't know if anyone is refering to my 3rd place animation or not - but I feel I deserve exactly what I got. My animation contained a melding of The original Christmas and the Present way we celebrate the season. The music I used was PROVIDED to me by the composer and recording artist Tom Wood - he lives in Indiana and is easy to find on the web - he is a Rock Violin Player. I worked my ass off on this and UNLIKE some of you I DO NOT do this for a living. I am a chef that works 10-12 hours a day - 6 days a week. I have horrible insomnia and have taught myself Bryce and Poser in the last 4 years to occupy my sleepless nights. It actually helps me. My Animation had a frame size of 524 x 640 as stated in the rules - but I was told later that any framesize is OK - just the still needs to be that size. Had I known THAT I could have spent all that render time tweaking the animation itself. Also I complained about an animation that was using copyrighted music - the admin addressed it - and the entry was pulled and resubmitted. BEFORE the judging is when to make you complaints- not afterwards....because even though you guys state it is not a case of sour grapes - It certainly comes off that way. And another thing - I am gald to see the judges stayed away form the CLIQUE CULTURE that is here. And you guys know exactly what I mean - The cliques that result in 50 "EXCELLENT VVVVV*" comments in the galleries when the ART SUCKS! meanwhile I'll see some REAL KNOCKOUT ARTWORK get posted by someone that doesnt hang out with members here and it gets all but ignored. Member judged contests dont work here or any other community with long standing members. They are too easily manipulated. Ive been a member for years now but probably no ones knows me here - so it's pissing you off? I sure hope that's not the case.

Candid ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 6:45 PM

I really don't want this to be turned into "I won and I deserve it because....'. I myself don't blame any of the artists. Everyone gave what he can and I know what I've been through to finish it in time. It's just that there are entries that are far better than some of the winners. I am not for member judged contests, no way. But the jury must do its work, allowing entries with mistakes in them (not just in typing words) to be in the win list is wrong. BTW Prufrock81 yours was one of my favorite. I see style and art in it, not just objects thrown in and rendered.

JLyons ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 6:48 PM · edited Wed, 21 December 2005 at 7:00 PM

In my case, I didn't pay attention to the animation since it isn't my thing. So you animation guys can hammer that out amongst yourselves, I have nothing to add in that department

I did however pay close attention to the 3D and 2D category and I can tell you for a fact that something went wrong with that judging. I don't think that anyone can look through those categories and tell me that the best images won, are there some good images in the winners brackets, yes. Are the best images there, not really, but since art is subjective this basically is just my opinion, but I know a thing or two about art and I don't seem to be the only one who is thinking along these lines. I don't have a thing against the artists in this contest, they haven't done anything wrong in this thing. If they won a prize, I say enjoy it! This whole situation is stemming from the judging.

As for sour grapes, I already admitted that there were images on there that blew mine right out of the contest, but the thing that gets me hot under the collar is the fact that none of them were even mentioned.

Just doesn't seem right.

Message edited on: 12/21/2005 18:58

Message edited on: 12/21/2005 19:00

There Is No Exit From The Flame, You Are Simply Transformed Into The Language Of The Fire!

Prufrock81 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 7:18 PM · edited Wed, 21 December 2005 at 7:20 PM

I've always said - on every community contests like this that the Judges (who probably take notes for thier own sake while judging) should post a SHORT blurb with each winning choice just to 'encapsulate" what it was that put it over the top for the judges.

NEVER will everyone be happy and professional and kind - art is labor of passion for most and when u put your heart into something you just dont like it to be deminished in anyway.

Blurbs would go a long way towards showwing the community that some thought really really went into the decisions (Im sure that it did - but others are not so sure) Judges - you should consider that as a great learning tool also - I mean someone qualified enough to judge should be able to briefly state the winning qualities of the piece.

I can see why every choice was made (at least I can GUESS) - not necessarily MY choices but I certainly dont think there was favoritism or laziness involved. By-the-way , if anyone gave up a PAYING GIG for this contest - well that's on them. Talk about counting your chickens....

Message edited on: 12/21/2005 19:20

JLyons ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 7:38 PM

I agree with everything you said! Blurbs would probably go a long way to clear quite a few things up.

There Is No Exit From The Flame, You Are Simply Transformed Into The Language Of The Fire!

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 9:21 PM

Congrats to all the winners!!! Personally having entered into many of these contests and never won I guess I've gotton use to the fact that my art sucks but still I join in just for the sake of participating in the community Personally candid and dinartfilho I'd like to say congrats to you both but I'd keep your winnings as they are deserved Blurbs would probably help to explain a lot as well as help future artist see where they need improvement for all contestants great job and Merry Christmas Past Present & Future

nightsong ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 9:35 PM

I know this is going to come out completely mercenary, but rather than returning the prizes you won, why not simply pass them on to someone else who can use them? I didn't see anything in the rules about others being bumped up on the list or new winners chosen simply because the prize is declined. Nor do I believe that simply returning your prize will change the personal opinions and criteria by which the contest was judged -- but it may make it so that some of the sponsors are not so willing to sponsor more contests in the future. Some of those prizes would make really nice Christmas presents, too. I know that some of the pictures I had thought would place -way- above me didn't get chosen, but I simply chalk that up to the fact that no two people will ever come away from looking at any one piece of artwork in the same way. Their own experience and preferences are what they'll depend upon in making what is believed to be the best judgement call, and with so very many entries submitted it must've been a tough decision for each of the categories. I for one was very, very happy and proud to make 9th runner up in the 3D area and was planning on stowing my $10 GC away so I could either get my best bud something for Christmas, or get something to help me make a really spiffy surprise picture for her. :) - Mary PS: Allibaba, how did you get the snowfall to look so pretty? I've always wanted to learn animation and the way the snow was falling looked very much like what you see in movies. (It doesn't snow here, so I rarely see it for real.)

chrislenn ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2005 at 1:11 AM

my son has played basket ball since he was 8 when he grumbles about what he sees as a bad call I tell him the refs can only call it as they see it - same with the judges here the rules said an "image that incorporates at least 1 element from the past, present or future." not "must include all three" though when I entered i was sure it said preferably all three. the judges could only judge on the info they were given I entered - didn't win lol never do but I keep entering as these contests force me to do something I wouldn't normally do

Pee on it and walk away

nightsong ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2005 at 3:22 AM

"I entered - didn't win lol never do but I keep entering as these contests force me to do something I wouldn't normally do" Same reason I keep entering. :) It makes me stretch my mind in ways I normally wouldn't, and have fun while doing it. Glad to hear someone else has a similar turn of mind.

EmeraldSpider ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2005 at 8:44 AM

I would just like to clarify here that I am not haveing a pop at ANY of the artists, it's not my call to say what is a worthwhile piece of art or not. I havve only been painting a year and while my work is in demand, possibly because I am cheap and also can code and make websites, I don't consider it something I do for a living. So to be honest I am not the most qualified judge. My anger is directed not even at the judges but at the people who organised this contest, not only have they misled ALL artists participating, they have obviously changed the terms and rules THREE times since the contest started, hardly professional. The rules were the same as stated here to begin with, several artists asked for clarification of the rules at the contest start in the Community Forum and were told something different. Only for it to be changed back to the original rules sometime after it seems, no doubt when obviously quite a lot of artists had broken there back to include them. Now let me just point out the title states Holiday Greetings from the Past, Present & Future" Not Holiday Greetings for the Past, Present OR Future. Yet still I see entries for first place on 3D and Phtography that don't contain ANY of the aforementioned elements. While ones that have tried to get all three in have been blatatntly ignored. Come on please, they even state preferably have all three in.... Now to be honest I don't know why I'm fighting so hard here, I certainly have had my eyes opened the last contest was blamed on members voting, this was just judged no names apparently by impartial judges. I am just si glad I didn't spend 200 plus hours on a piece of work that I thought I was being asked for, only to find at the late judging stage that any old christmas or holiday picture would do. No doubt some of this artwork showcase some awesome talent, but at the outset of this contest artists were led to believe not only talent and technical skill would be judged, but also concepts and imagination too. I just think someone, even if they weren't involved especially as they weren't involved has to say/air their thoughts and opinions. Maybe the nexy contest will STATE that the title and asked for content is a guideline not a RULE. And that extra effort and hardwork to implement them does not offer you any advantage over a general holiday picture. It's the least you can do to instill good faith in your members and artists, am I not the only one who relised how tough the premise was of this contest and exactly how much effort went into a lot of this artwork.... Rather than say dash of a pic of a christmas pudding with a sprig of holly on top and call it Merry Christmas? Ele

Marathon ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2005 at 11:25 PM

Y'know, I wondered if I was doing the content of my entry correctly also. At first I started to conceptualize something that had all 3 elements. Then I saw, "Create a November/December holiday greeting animation that incorporates at least 1 element from the past, present or future.", and took 'at least 1 element' and OR as literal, so only chose one aspect. Kinda like choosing the soup, potato OR salad with dinner. You can only have one, not all! =) Heh, I probably should have surfed the forums for clarification as well. In any case, I'm not sure the chosen winners all qualify either, if it was supposed to be all three. Asthetic considerations aside. -Mara

Marathon ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2005 at 11:50 PM

Alrighty then... I surfed the Forums some looking for the "clarification" on the rules, and I'll be jiggered. I can't find any such thread. Could someone point me to it? I'm curious.

EmeraldSpider ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2005 at 8:17 AM

Thats because it isn't there now, this forum seems to be unique in a sense that it onlt vere has 2 pages of threads and then the other ones dissapper. The upside of this is when ever anything remotely troubling/bothersome/unflattering happens it only has a very short shelf life. The only downside is when you need to actaully point out a great gaping error, you can't as the information has long since been removed. I am sorry Marathon I can't show you, in future I most certainly will be taking screenshots of all such threads and keeping them in a file. The thing about this is some people on here will cretianly remember the thread as it wasn't me that asked for clarification in the first place, I just gave some concept ideas for people who maybe would have difficulty. And of course the Admin in question will certainly remember. Maybe in future such threads should be preserved till the contest is over, mind you judging by the way the rules were changed again maybe this is not a realsitic expectation. Ele

DinartFilho ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2005 at 9:28 AM

Is useless to protest, they will change nothing here, i think that it is a polytical/geographic problem...... and a dirty spot for then. anyway merry xmas

DinartFilho ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2005 at 9:28 AM

Is useless to protest, they will change nothing here, i think that it is a polytical/geographic problem...... and a dirty spot for then. anyway merry xmas.

Marathon ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2005 at 4:27 PM

Well,that's too bad. Contests should be fun to enter, not a slap in the face. Fortunately there are other communities beyond Renderosity that run contests and challenges, prizes or no. I think I'll just post my entry in the Gallery so there's a name attached to it, and be on my merry way. Not that anyone will see it after a day or two; I think the Gallery filters are broken. None of my pictures are coming up under Carrara/RDS. :-(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.