Mon, Sep 23, 5:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Want critiques?

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 9:07 AM

And here's the latest version ... another one with a modified atmosphere is rendering right now and, I think, may end up being close to the final version but we'll wait and see.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1477987&member

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

jjroland ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 11:17 AM

When I first got a commercial image.  I thought - meh - what the heck.  But when I recieve an ebot for the SAME commercial image more than once (ie the artist uploaded it - then took it down then reuploaded it) - now that kind of ticks me off.  The comments are off on the image - so it wasn't revised, it seems to me the only purpose can be for spamming the advertisement.

1 person in the group posts renders with knees popping through long flowing dresses and gets 3 pages worth of "excellent work".  NOBODY says "hey there is a knee popping through that dress that you couldn't have possibly missed".  Why?

I really try to look and comment as much as I can but I feel so many people who truly want those comments to grow as an artist (the actual purpose of the group) are getting left out by me because of the flood from everyone.  

Again here is my vote for FORUM.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

AnAardvark ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 12:43 PM

Here are my views:

I overall like the gallery system. It would be nice if we could have a "private" gallery for critique group purposes only. Once one of us was satisfied with the artwork, we could move it to the main gallery. (Question to gallery mods, if you move an image, do the comments move with it?) This would allow us to concentrate on constructive criticism as opposed to adulation and/or commiseration. As a viewer, I find it interesting to see other peoples comments on someone elses work, but get tired after a page of "ooh, shiny!". Sometimes images are related to real-world things. (Deaths, births, relationships etc.), and these works often tend to acrete page after page of non-artistic commentary.

I also wish there were a way (maybe there is) where you can look at the most recent images by your favorites. There are some favorite artists who I always want to see their works, and an overlapping set who I always (time permitting) would like to comment on. I want the option of browsing other critique group artists, even those who's work isn't usually to my liking. Currently, one can either be notified each time a given artist uploads a work, or not notified. If you want to keep up with works by the others, you have to visit their galleries individually.

I personally try to make at least a few critiques each week, and at least five to ten for every image I post. (I've been too busy the past few months to actually create anything.) 

My attitude in this group is generally pretty much founded on "if you don't have anything bad to say, don't say anything" :) If I can't offer a recommendation of how to improve an image, or a possible alternative to how part of the image is done, I generally won't say anything. The exception is if I think something is really good, and has something technical or aesthetical which is well worth pointing out to others. (And which comment will, hopefully, not get buried by pages of "ooh!, shiny!")

I think that the "closeness" of the gallery has dissipated a bit, because of the size, but I really don't think that it is a problem.

Anniebel ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 12:45 PM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote - When I first got a commercial image.  I thought - meh - what the heck.  But when I recieve an ebot for the SAME commercial image more than once (ie the artist uploaded it - then took it down then reuploaded it) - now that kind of ticks me off.  The comments are off on the image - so it wasn't revised, it seems to me the only purpose can be for spamming the advertisement.

No I am not spamming the group I am advertising the current sale that is on-going! I am a merchant & that is what the product gallery is for!!!

As I said, I am a merchant & I make no appologies for that, I put the commercial tag so that no one could complain that I was trying to gain views, to warn people in the group they need not view it, yet people are still petty enough to complain - sheesh!!!

I cannot stop e-bots going out in the product gallery or I would.

Please remove me from the group, I dislike this kind of pettiness, if & when there is a forum, I will rejoin.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 1:01 PM

I've made myself clear in the past with a preference for the foprum - I think.
I think it will work pretty well.

There's another thing that I've observed, that seems to be more specific to the galleries then forms... When posting in a forum, I don't think lot of people have the expectation opf a 'whole critique group' chiming in and counting responses.

Seems that in galleries there is much greater expectations of getting comments then one would have in the forum.

I can tell you, I've looked at many more images then I have commented on, simply because pretty often I have a hard time coming up with something to say, without the artist seeking specific input. Each one of us has projects and times issues too. I hate seeing good people leave critique group because someone has made them feel they're not participating enough, and they feel like they're falling back on their obligations, or being accused of being a part of some sort of a clique.

Good valuable critique takes time and effort, and often it takes some getting to know the artist to offer them something valuable. Not every preson willing or able to critique will be able to offer it evenly to everyone else in the group. Folks, that's to be expected, and a normal course of things. Also, when those critiquing get feedback on what they've said, it helps them continue, or offer sopmething more valuable.

Another thing that makes it hard to offer valuable critique is with people whom post one, or eevn more images per day, often with same flaws over and over and over... Sometimes critiqie that is given addresses item that may take time and practice to refine. So, when there's no feedback from the artist, and image per day with identical flaws continue, guess what, critiquing of those will go on the back burner, and the time will get rationed to thoise whon the critiquer notices is actually responding and taking it in.

For one, I think that some peoples expectation of getting a high number of critiquinbg comments upon joining the group needs to be dispelled, and actual seeking critique process should be more active process. More active then uploading an image-a-day or there abouts and expecting people will come flocking with great advice.

What Victoria Lee has done recently is an excellent example of avtive critique seeking, and also of getting really good suggestions by a number of people. 
This is a good exercise not only for herself, but those critiquing and for those following the evolution of the image. There's a lot that can be learned from the process. Often people post links to other learning materials, and sometimes new ideas are spawned. One is developing in art theory forum right now, about small workshops. Stemming out evaluating Victoria Lee's image.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

AnAardvark ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 1:02 PM

In perusing a couple of popular CG images, most of the gushing but non-substantiative comments came from non-CG people, and that about half of the CG people's comments were substantiative. Furthermore, most of the CG people who gave non-substantiative comments on one image were likely to give a substantiative comment on another image. So I would guess that probably most of the CG people give critical advice a fair amount of the time.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 1:14 PM

I  feel like an echo again - everything jjroland said - me too.
However can I just add - I appologize to those I rarely/never comment on. If  the image doesnt speak to me at all, if I think they didnt listen to critics before, if they post so frequently I cant keep up, if they already have lots of comments,  if they havnt commented on my images ever - these are some of my reasons not to comment.

I never mean  not commenting (and for that matter, the comments I do leave) as a judgement on the person. I dont even think that aiming at  being a better artist is such a superior reason for posting or critiquing. If you(or me)  do it because there is  nothing better on TV, to escape the kids for a bit, to find something to do all this hours freed upon retirment, a physical or emotional therapy - who says that's any less than 'improve as an artist' ? So I just try not to preatch too much...:)

If you feel left out because it look like 'cliques' are developing - I'll confess to taht a bit. I have found a small group of people whose work I really like, whose comments are very enlightening, and who I like to talk to. I'll comment on their postings first. Guilty as charged. I look/comment on other/newer members posts, but if I dont find their work inspiring a comment, they probably wont find mine interesting either, so where is the problem? Find/form your own clique! Its a good thing!

I never objected to a forum for discussing critic group posts. With a less pompous title it will work fine. However, mostly I dont want long discussions on my images. Just what you feel/think when you see it. So gallery comments are still better for me. An AUTOMATICLLY generated link between the two would make it realy usefull.
I still would like multiple gallery assignments (Poser&critique) and or multiple genres. I am not giving up my current gallery/genre selection for a critique classification.
Sorry - too long a post. Blame the length of this 'final' render for may next post...
I'll shut up for awhile again

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

Deadline_Imaging ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 2:39 PM

The only real complaint that I have about anything to do with the critique group is, the fact that when I have been given negative comments about something that I do not know how to correct, I ask the person how to you fix it or how do you prevent that?  99% of the time I get the answer of "I don't know."  It kinda bugs me to get a negative critique and then the person not even know how to correct it when you ask.  shrugs doesn't help out too much.  Some of the people I get critiques from ALWAYS give me great revues wether they are negative or not.  They are usually the ones who write a small novella for thier response, those are the critiques I love.  I have been an art student for going on 7 years now (no smart ass comments please lol)  acting as both a student and also an assistant.  The best critiques I have ever received, the person takes the time to not only tell me exactly what they do or don't like but also tell me how they see how it  can improve upon it.  Thats what a Critique is about, informing the person on what is good or bad and then giving them your insite about how it can be further improved.  It is then the Artists responsibility to take those comments and decide which of the comments coincide with thier vision and which ones don't.  Usually in these cases if the person is given an informative critique they are more likely to concider the changes and improvements suggested.

jjroland ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 4:15 PM

Anniebel,
I apologize for being so specific in that post - I had no intention of calling people out personally which is why I left names out.   I should have read the title of the image before going directly to the gallery - but I usually don't - I just go.  
That's my fault - and also another indication of why I think a forum would be better than favoriting people.

Please accept my apology - I did not intend to offend.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 6:03 PM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 6:06 PM

"The only real complaint that I have about anything to do with the critique group is, the fact that when I have been given negative comments about something that I do not know how to correct, I ask the person how to you fix it or how do you prevent that?  99% of the time I get the answer of "I don't know."  It kinda bugs me to get a negative critique and then the person not even know how to correct it when you ask.  shrugs doesn't help out too much.  "

I agree with you there. Those kind of comments are more like unhelpful judgements then constructive critique - of the type that helps each other grow. 

Sidney said : "Some of the people I get critiques from ALWAYS give me great revues wether they are negative or not.  They are usually the ones who write a small novella for thier response, those are the critiques I love.  I have been an art student for going on 7 years now (no smart ass comments please lol)  acting as both a student and also an assistant.  The best critiques I have ever received, the person takes the time to not only tell me exactly what they do or don't like but also tell me how they see how it  can improve upon it.  Thats what a Critique is about, informing the person on what is good or bad and then giving them your insight about how it can be further improved.  It is then the Artists responsibility to take those comments and decide which of the comments coincide with thier vision and which ones don't.  Usually in these cases if the person is given an informative critique they are more likely to consider the changes and improvements suggested."

YES YES YES, so well said... I just had to highlight it!

Anniebel ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 6:38 PM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 6:39 PM

Quote - Anniebel,
I apologize for being so specific in that post - I had no intention of calling people out personally which is why I left names out.   I should have read the title of the image before going directly to the gallery - but I usually don't - I just go.  
That's my fault - and also another indication of why I think a forum would be better than favoriting people.

Please accept my apology - I did not intend to offend.

I was very mindful that I would still need to upload these images when I joined the group, which is why I turned off comments & added the commercial tag. It is very upsetting to be seen as a spammer, I have no wish to solicite comments from anyone.

I would still like to leave the group.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 6:51 PM

Quote - I was very mindful that I would still need to upload these images when I joined the group, which is why I turned off comments & added the commercial tag. It is very upsetting to be seen as a spammer, I have no wish to solicite comments from anyone.

I would still like to leave the group.

:(  I wish you didn't leave.
I can understand It could be upsetting to be seen as a spammer, but I don't think you are seen as such. It looks like it was a misunderstanding.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 8:09 PM

Understandable.  When I get an ebot with a9Commercial) tag, I just click it off and go to the next one.  It doesn't take me more than 5 seconds.

I plead guilty to novella writing. LOLOLOL  As time permits and as I am moved to do so, I write a short review. If someone does something outstanding, IMHO, I praise'em.  I try hard to NOT say "this and so really sucks--burn it."

If someone usually does great work, hands in a lazy, substandard piece of ....work--I WILL call them to task. LOL  People who post loads of stuff should never be seen as spammers in this venue. 

Of course, this "shoot your mouth off on the wrong thing, you get poked in the nose" is what I was talking about in a previous post.

SOmetimes I wish we artists weren't SO volatile and passionate sometimes! :lol:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Deadline_Imaging ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 8:39 PM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 8:40 PM

bows to ConnieKat thank you, thank you verah much.

LMAO feel free to leave me a novella anytime Joel AND shoot off your mouth while your at it too!  

When I get a critique I want passion, yah love it or yah hate it and you aren't afraid to say so.  That's the nature of the beast right there for me at least.

Hehe and a little bit of volatility (is that even a word? lol) can sometimes drive us to levels that we have never attained before.   

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 1:25 AM

Anniebel I am sorry you were (accidentally) shown up. I can delete those posts if necessary.

Just to note, I am not removing or adding anyone right now until we have a consensus on where we're going with the group. Since it looks as if we'll probably be moving away from the "list" format, it's kind of pointless me updating it, especially since it takes ages because this damnable forum software can't handle the length of the list in HTML
:rolleyes:

Anyway keep the thoughts coming peeps, especially if you're lurking around not saying anything, we want to hear from you!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Anniebel ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 4:18 AM

Quote - Anniebel I am sorry you were (accidentally) shown up. I can delete those posts if necessary.

Just to note, I am not removing or adding anyone right now until we have a consensus on where we're going with the group. Since it looks as if we'll probably be moving away from the "list" format, it's kind of pointless me updating it, especially since it takes ages because this damnable forum software can't handle the length of the list in HTML
:rolleyes:

Anyway keep the thoughts coming peeps, especially if you're lurking around not saying anything, we want to hear from you!

I don't think there is any point in deleting, I think it is better staying as a warning for any other merchant joining the group.

It would be helpful if when uploading a picture if you had the option of turning off e-bots for an image, just like you have the option of stopping comments.

Helen Keller

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 6:03 AM

I agree with Annibel on the Ebots.  If you're doing a commercial image, or for whatever reason, the poster should have the option to turn it off.

Volatile is a real word:
 1vol·a·tile
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'vä-l&-t & l, esp British -"tīl
Etymology: French, from Latin volatilis, from volare to fly
1 : readily vaporizable at a relatively low temperature
2 : flying or having the power to fly
3 a : LIGHTHEARTED , LIVELY b : easily aroused <volatile suspicions> c : tending to erupt into violence : EXPLOSIVE
4 a : unable to hold the attention fixed because of an inherent lightness or fickleness of disposition b : characterized by or subject to rapid or unexpected change
5 : difficult to capture or hold permanently : EVANESCENT , **TRANSITORY **

Of course I am talking about the SECOND meaning. LOLOLOL  :lol:  I'd forgotten the second meaning actually!   LOL, I LOVE English!  It's such a silly language! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela

Sivana ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 6:36 AM

Dear Karen,
when I joyned this group I thought to be a member shows that someone can write critical words and can give me suggestions without to fear that I´ll run hysteric through the city. Also that I can do the same at other members. But now it seems that the critique group must write a critique to all other members? So that is not possible for me also not nescessary becourse another member has just wrote about a technical mistake.

I can remember when I posted my first few renders, I often read "there is no shadow" 20 x under my image, but nobody told me how to do a shadow ;-)
In our german render-forum a new artist asked why 50 viewers are writing the same "there is no shadow" becourse it would be enough to read it twice. The ansers have been: "If I don´t see a shadow I want to say it too, alike if 49 persons already have mentioned it". From my point of view this is childish and such things nerphes an artist only.
So I also don´t think that the whole critique group has to write "change the light on the left".

I also don´t want to make 3 re-posts of the same image as it is boring for me and certainly to all other viewers who are not in the critique group.
So I only try to make it better next images ;-)

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 8:03 AM

Thank you, Sivana.

When we originally set up the group we definitely said that people must not feel they have to critique EVERY image. It is too much to do, as we have so many members. 

I think that it the reason many of us are feeling "burned out" - because we tried to critique everything, and we got tired. Nobody realised how many members we would get :-)

I agree with you that if someone has already mentioned something, I won't talk about it again. I might say "I also agree with John about the light" but I will try to talk about another aspect of the picture. Otherwise it is not helpful.

Anniebel, I will put forward a suggestion to stop ebots going out on individual images. That's a good thought.

"you are terrifying

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 5:33 PM

Overdoing it is #1 reason for burn out!  That's why I'm not.  My comments are like money (IE: Time,too)  and I spend 'em where they might do good.  You just have to use a little reason and judgement.  Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do I have experience with the software they're using? 
  2. Did I notice something out-of-whack that no one else mentioned?
  3. Have I done the very same bad thing I'm looking at right now?
    4)Did I just remember a thread mentioning fixes for this problems?

Yes to any of the above--comment away!
There are a couple of other reasons in my book,too.

A) Is this the most realistic looking render you've ever seen?
B) Did this affect you like a punch in the gut?
C) Did this piece have an element in it you always wanted to do and never did successfully?
D) Did this make your eyes bug out, or drop your jaw?

Yes to any above--blather away!

I've only commented on less than maybe 30% or less of all the ebots, I've ever recieved.  They're simple questions going from my criteria, not yours.  I'm not burned out because I set up my own rules and have tried to live by them.  Meh on complex rules! SImple rules, rule my day and comments. :lol:

Anniebel ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 5:36 PM

Thanks Karen.

I will retract my decision to leave the group for the moment, I was upset yesterday. I can see how some could be irritated by these images, but at the moment I have no choice, so I do my best to notify that the image doesn't need viewing by the group.

I apologise for calling people petty.

Helen Keller

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 5:42 PM

Don't worry about it.

Didn't you read one of my previous posts?

"Volatile is a real word:
 1vol·a·tile
3 a : LIGHTHEARTED , LIVELY b : easily aroused <volatile suspicions> c : tending to erupt into violence : EXPLOSIVE"

We're all artists here, and we're all volatile,too. :lol:  

I kept you on my list.

Deadline_Imaging ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 7:38 PM

hehehe I know volatile is a word, i meant the concoction I came up with Volatility.   Not sure if that one is a real word or not... Don't make me go 3.C on yah.  =D  

I happen to agree with Joel on his thoughts on what you should look for when prepping to do a critique.  I think thats the best way to keep what little sanity us artists have.  If you went thru the e-mails of new postings for hours on end you would start to feel more like a teacher giving grades than an artist who genuinely wants to help people suceed.   I can post comments as much as i want normally, I dont have the sanity to lose to begin with. =D   

Personally I do not mind which direction that the group takes as long as it stays intact, I think it is far too valuable tool for everyone.  We have a very broad mix of mediums and skill levels here and thats something that should be taken advantage of.  

I think this is the most I have posted to any forum in the last 5 years lol.  anyways thats my next two cents.

giorgio_2004 ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 6:14 AM

The idea of a forum is very good. I had suggested to allow for multiple responses in image comments, and a dedicated forum would be essentially the same thing.

Giorgio

giorgio_2004 here, ksabers on XBox Live, PSN  and everywhere else.

Charles_V ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 7:09 PM

I put my vote in for our own form and gallery : )  

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2007 at 2:03 PM · edited Sat, 14 July 2007 at 2:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry that I have not been here much. I have just returned from one show and have several more lined up thru this summer/fall.

I have to agree with the remark on if you give a critigue, be prepared to give an explaination of how you might fix the problem. Also, I have noticed that the little acronym WIP, is not clearly understood by all (*not here, as much as in general) that it is not completed, or is being further explored. I see some of the WIP's, they get comments as to it isn't complete looking? :/  Or that something obvious is in need of change. I guess that is why it is posted as a WIP?!

On Criteria for the Critique process: 

On leaving a critique as to myself. I remember in the early days of my membership, I had made a suggestion to fix an obvious (*at least to me) problem in a photo (*many of the same photos, with the same quirks). Well...it turned into a hate war, and to this day I hesitate to give critiques. Because even tho my comment was said kindly, and from experience, plus honestly  wanting to help. It was the most horrible 3 weeks after the comment I could ever remember. SO.....  I always think once, twice and then again, before saying what my gut tells me.  Because even if you ask for a critique, often you might not like the result, or the suggestion. One thing I think is important to remember is that an artist has a vision of the image in thier head, and sometimes it does not have to focus on the "Obvious".  Well my point being, *if you are thinking of leaving a critique for the artist, cruise back by the pic *to revisit the scene and  rethink your critique before posting. Often I have seen critiques that didn't think through the scene/pic, before they are given. That can sometimes lead to frustration, and perhaps misunderstanding. If there isn't a solution to fix it provided.

Thank you for reading my comment.

Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

Deadline_Imaging ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2007 at 2:57 PM

I Agree with DarkePhaze on the hesitancy to give a negative critique even when you do approach it in the nicest manner posible.  Some people just explode from a negative critique and suddenly see you as thier arch nemesis.  Why be in a critique group in the first place if you don't want to see the bad and the good?  If all you want is high praise give your friends the URL of the website and tell them to get names and you will have your own little fan club.   Sorry if that sounds a little bit sarcastic but it's the truth.

The other thought I wanted to address is, if you are showing at a real gallery as opposed to a virtual gallery, you are going to attract at least one art critic to the scene.   Thats the game of showing at galleries, You send out your invites to who you want to come and the gallery sends its invites out to critics and also to buyers.  They want to attract business for themselves, you are really just thier tool to make that happen.  And when the Critic writes up thier revue of the show, it's not as if you can go ballistic and scream at the critic.  That would pretty much be commiting professional suicide as by the end of the week you will have another write up about your lack of professionalism.

Ok enough chatter from me. 

Scott

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2007 at 3:14 PM

Maybe THAT'S why I'm so laizze faire about critiques.  I've HAD gallery shows, long long ago, and got art reviews written about me.  The reviews of the time were scathing and I wrote off art for years, when I should have just blown it off.

The old cliche IS cliche because it is so true:

**You can't please ALL the people ALL the time.
**No one can.  If you don't want anyone to have a bad reaction to your art--STAY OFF THE INTERNET! LOLOLOLOL :lol:  SOMEONE,, SOMEWHERE in the world will absolutely HATE whatever piece you did.  Blow it off and go on!  You have to, for your own survival.

Even if someone puts up a negative comment--they STOPPED and LOOKED.  Even if they blasted you later--something you did STOPPED them cold in their tracks and made them LOOK.  That's a positive, even if results in a  negative when they start typing their response.

Eye-catching is something that advertising companies will sell their first-born for to get!

You just have to maintain a light-hearted point-of-view about the whole process and NOT let it all get to you!  ^__^ V,,

RoseMoxon ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2007 at 10:55 PM

well said joel!  ive had many negative comments, some useful, some silly, some via private message (which i think is odd) but ive also had many many positive comments.  the comment i cherished most was one (no names!!) who said nothing needed changing, and this person had been the most critical of all previously.  its important not to take comments to heart, just take them on board for next time.  cheers, rose

KarenJ ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 3:59 AM

Just to let you guys know.

As the prevailing "votes" are for having a new forum AND gallery, that's what I've put in for with the admins.

Just waiting for them to get back to me now, but it's looking positive so far :-)

"you are terrifying

Anniebel ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 5:50 AM

Woo Hoo - glad to hear.

Thanks Karen for your support.

Helen Keller

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 8:57 AM

Wow Karen! Way to bust your butt for us! ;)

Ariana

Deadline_Imaging ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 3:32 PM

Very cool Karen, I agree with anything that will help this group continue so yah have my backing (as if that means anything lol).  Glad to see you don't have demonic eyes anymore and GREAT qoute, love that movie.

Scott

Charles_V ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 6:04 PM

Yay Karen!

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 6:59 PM

Sounds good!  I hold off seeing more until I hear more.  Don't want to jinx it!

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 10:21 AM

Looking forward to it. I had to turn the ebots off awhile ago because they, and the JUNK mail
were overwhelming my mailbox. :( And I just couldn't keep up with the gallery postings. If I
saw a member post, I commented if I noticed something, or complimented if I liked something.
With so many members though, I can't remember who is, and who isn't. The forum and 
gallery idea is a good one. The only problem I can forsee is that members of the Buddies
Club, or the 'Cut 'n Paste Cabal, may post there to try for more comments and whine when 
they get constructive critiques instead. But that is a minor irritation compared to the benefits.

Anniebel; I missed the trouble you had, but I don't mind commercial postings because how
                  else will I know if something I might REALLY want comes out? Most items are on
                  sale when they first hit the store, and I've missed a few I liked over the years because
                  I don't always have time to check the store. :) So, cheer up and let any offensive
                  comments roll off you like water. Life is too precious to get agitated by the trivial.

^_-

Greywolf

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 11:48 AM

Cut'n-paste cabal wants comments from us--we should give 'em! If peeps ask for it--give it too 'em!  WIth both barrels if needed! :lol:  Don't be nasty, helpful.  Of course they might feel helped to death........LOLOLOLOLOLOL :lol:

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 11:35 PM

Wow Joel, I don't know just how serious you mean that!

BTW, that comment "Cut'n-paste cabal wants comments from us--we should give 'em! If peeps ask for it--give it too 'em!  WIth both barrels if needed!   Don't be nasty, helpful.  Of course they might feel helped to death........LOLOLOLOLOLOL " Is probably why many don't want critique....very mean of you! *wags finger

Be a good bot and play nice!

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 2:02 AM

LOLOLOLOL  I REALLY meant about the "Don't be nasty--helpful!"  If someone posts wanting advanced critiques, or joins up the critique group--I'll look and get out my list of things to look for--I'll comment as per the list of things mentioned in a previous post (on this page or previous) of mine.

Then I'll comment away!  My nature is to give as much help as I can, which may be LOADS more than they might expect.  I praise what I like and what is done very well.

If the emporer's new clothes aren't up to snuff--I will point out, "He's nekkid!"

A lot of render-posters settle for flat,lifeless, expressionless renders that not only give THEM a bad reputation for below-par art, but leaves the whole of CGI renderers with a bad taste in their mouth.

If they need their Poser car pushed, I'll push it up the hill and down the next hill to boot! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :lol:

Trying to help people be better people and better artists is what I want to do in life.  I'm very serious about that. ^__^ V,,

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 12:25 PM

Oh Oh! Joel! Go critique me!!! I love lots of caustic, nasty comments! Uh, I mean help! LOL! I have come to the conclusion that good or bad an honest observation often makes you think harder the next time you work...(*hence why I joined!)  I have a new render I am working on right now that is just blatant Sexist dribble! I hope to do a wonderful Barbarian scene....I am going to be a bit ambitious with it, so look out! Should have loads of flaws and chinks to point out! Gads! Why I am so happy today is beyond me. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php   OK, I trimmed my gallery out and it only has 3 images. The work today is with V4 and a V3 together.

ThanX and good critiquing!

Ariana

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 1:32 PM · edited Tue, 17 July 2007 at 1:34 PM

To link to your gallery, you have to go through your homepage, click on 'browse my gallery', a link to your gallery is written at the bottom. The link you put there load every people who click on it to its own gallery.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=372461

here is the link to your gallery   ;)

My Store

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 1:39 PM

Aha! Well here it is,

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=DarkePhazeGraphiX

don't hurt me.....

Ariana

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 2:32 PM

@___@ Why would I want to hurt you?  I left comments on your last two pieces.  On the whole, you have oodles of talent , and have produced some fine work.  A couple of minor tweaks here and there and you could be among the greats!  You have great color sense, you just need to work a little on your poses.

Poses can be learned--color sense can't be. Have pride in what you've done and push to be as great as you CAN be! :tt2:

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 2:51 PM · edited Tue, 17 July 2007 at 2:52 PM

Joel....I was being sarcastic! you know a smarty pants...

LOL! I loved your critiques and every bit of them was very useful. I never realised that the look on "ShariaAsen~ Assassin, Friend and Lover Returns" was so emotionless and cold. I see that she should be more soft and loving. I look forward to fixing this one! On the  "SunSet Lighting" I was truly less concerned with her than the light effects I had created. Now as I re-examine this piece, it has very good potential! 

Your comments are very helpful and I appreciate them! You are OK too! LOL!!! I actually love ya bunches! :)  For a very honest and helpful post(s)!

HuggerZ!

Ariana 

ArtPearl ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 4:30 PM

If I can digress from these private conversations for a minute to add some final words/questions about the new direction of the critic group in general:
-Will we be able to chose  the 'special gallery'  in addition to the another gallery (eg poser)?
-Is there going to be an easy link between the  gallery and the forum? What I mean is , would we be able to upload an image to the gallery and click a button to indicate we want critiques and that will automatically create a thread and a link to the forum?
Although I 'm not happy with the current format, and probably would have been saying goodbye at the moment I'm not sure if  the new direction would help me.
I dont see myself using the critique forum by itself  significantly. If I have a technical questions I can ask them in the general forum. I dont post WIP, and  I dont want my images to be designed by a committee. I just wanted comments/thoughts/feelings  on my 'final' creation. If there are blatant errors of course I would like it pointed out/discussed, and that's when a link from the gallery  to a forum would be useful.
I have gained a lot from joining the group, and I'm happy that I did, but unfortunatly now I predominatly  seem to benefit only from communications with people who are not in the group.

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 5:28 PM

@ ArtPearl--

"Design by commitee' isn't what the Critique group is about.  If errors are spotted, they should be mentioned to the one who made them. I, for one, have NO interest in putting 'my stamp' on anyone else's art!  Especially your's or Rutra's or Ariana's or anyone's.

Helping people to use their tools better is the main focus of this group (Unless I'm dead wrong.) and I want that too.  If people want to make suggestions about reposing, or moving lights, they are ONLY suggestions--not mandates.

My arty bottom line is simple--If I love what I made, and I get that feeling in my gut that it is ready to take wing, everyone else's opinion can go to hell!  To be blunt.  I appreciate critiques that examine what I do, or HOW I do it--but when people start into the WHY of anyone--that's too much.

If someone takes exception with the spirit of art, if you don't want to trouble yourself with them--point 'em my way!  I'll straighten them out!  

You have a real talent for the extreme, the bizarre, the surreal and it really touches me.  You do your art, YOUR way and to hell with all the committees!

@Ariana--if you hadn't posted a link--I'd have known of your sarcasm! :tt2:

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 5:43 PM

LOL! *ducks and runs from the fire......

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 5:44 PM

@Ariana--

LOLOLOLOL Ya big chicken! :lol:

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 5:45 PM

No-oooooooooo.....just waaaay smarter than to open my yap at this point! hehehehe......

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 11:50 PM

Actually Joel,
Your critiques are always spot on, and based on technical issues that need to be corrected.
When the comments are based on things that are more subjective, you change the tone
of your critiques to suggestions on improvement. This is the way critiques are SUPPOSED
to be. I can do without the 'cut 'n paste' crowd as those idiots are so busy pasting their
comments on as many images as possible, in as little time as possible, that they likely
don't even look at the picture! One kept posting; 'WOW, she is very beautiful!', even when there
were several people in the image, or none at all. (snicker)

Greywolf

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.