Sat, Sep 21, 3:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: Help with Poser 7 crash, please...

JenX ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 9:23 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 1:03 PM

Ok, I haven't quite seen this description for the crash yet, so I don't know how to go about fixing this problem, but it's gone beyond pissing me off, LOL.  I'll start up Poser 7, load a figure...and then mouse over the figure, and Poser dissappears.  Nothing.  Nothing's in the processes in Task Manager, nada.  So, what do I do?  Here are my system Specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
2.21 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram
Microsoft XP Professional SP2
GeForce 7900GT/GTO

What do I need to do?  

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 9:31 AM

First thing to try is to switch the preview to SreeD.

If the crash no longer happens, then it's an OpenGL driver/settings problem.

If you still get a crash, is it only one figure (which one ?) or does happen no matter what figure or prop you load ?

originalkitten ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 9:51 AM

Jen I had the exact same prob when I updated my NVIDA graphics card. It is an openGL prob.  Either roll back ur driver if you just updated or switch to SreeD. It drove me nuts!

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

JenX ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 9:54 AM

I'm pretty sure it was the OpenGL settings.  I'm not going to touch them, as hubby has them tweaked to perfectly work with his games (no, I don't ask, I just save for my own PC, LOL), so I'll just work with SreeD for now.  It's actually running pretty well.

Thanks, nruddock.  I never even thought to change the preview!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

JenX ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 9:56 AM

lol, thanks, originalkitten  :)   I think it's working great in SreeD.  I don't know the last time the graphics driver was updated, but I'll let him deal with it when he gets home tonight ;)

originalkitten ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 9:58 AM

lmao yw Jen

I updated driver and a prob i had with open gl stopped but then poser would crash like u said. I was livid!

Hugs
Lou x

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 12:03 PM

Quote - I'm not going to touch them, as hubby has them tweaked to perfectly work with his games  ...

Some drivers let you save profiles for particular programs.

There are also a few options that affect the OpenGL preview in Poser, "Accumulation Buffer". "Hardware Shading", "Enhance multilayer transparency", and "Preview texture resolution".
The last three are the more likely suspects in a non-rendering crash, IIRC.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 3:41 PM

Quote - > Quote - I'm not going to touch them, as hubby has them tweaked to perfectly work with his games  ...

Some drivers let you save profiles for particular programs.

There are also a few options that affect the OpenGL preview in Poser, "Accumulation Buffer". "Hardware Shading", "Enhance multilayer transparency", and "Preview texture resolution".
The last three are the more likely suspects in a non-rendering crash, IIRC.

How do you adjust these or should I say what should these be set at.  Mine are as follows in the preview tab:

Accumulation Buffer set to software
Hardware Shading  box is not checked
Enhance multilayer transparency box is not checked
Preview texture resolution is set at 512
Are there other recommended settings for the above?

I also have this same problems using a GeForce 8600 and I have to use SreedD to stop the crashes.

My Facebook Page

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 5:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

> Quote - Are there other recommended settings for the above? > > I also have this same problems using a GeForce 8600 and I have to use SreedD to stop the crashes.

Those settings are as low as you can get.

Double check your using the latest drivers (maybe even reinstall, as Windows updates can disturb the OpenGL libraries).

Most likely you'll need to goto the NVidia settings app and adjust a few things.
Unfortunately I don't have an NVidia card, so I've no idea what the options / settings are called.
As mentioned before, you may be able to create a profile for Poser, in which case you can experiment without affecting other programs.
Windows has it's own setting for the hardware acceleration level, which you can try tweaking down a step at a time to if the crashes stop (unfortunately this is a global setting, but if lowering it helps, it probably indicates that tweaking the driver specific settings will also help).

The attached link has some documentation on a (older I think) version of of the NVidia CP applet which might help if you don't have anything more helpful.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2008 at 4:22 AM

My driver was updated and it still crashed.  Wish I did not have to use the spree setting though, it is alot slower.  Sharen

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2008 at 7:57 AM

Quote - My driver was updated and it still crashed.  Wish I did not have to use the spree setting though, it is alot slower.  Sharen

I feel your pain Sharen because some items in the Sree preview look terrible before you render them. I will look at the Nvidia site. I am getting a new machine this week and I am hoping the GeForce 9600 card in it will not have the same issues as the 8 series cards and drivers.

My Facebook Page

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2008 at 8:39 PM · edited Mon, 08 September 2008 at 8:41 PM

Quote - I'll start up Poser 7, load a figure...and then mouse over the figure, and Poser dissappears.

Been having that same problem as well. I also have an nVidia card (Geforce 7300GS). Its something with the most recent nVidia releases—175. I downgraded to an earlier release (93), and the problem seemed to stop but I ended up going back to 175 because the gamma, contrast and brightness settings were all off, and no amount of readjusting seemed to help.

Now, seeing that people who have Poser 7 are having this problem, its not a Poser Pro problem; which is what I thought at first.

Now, whats weird is that since re-installing the recent update, I don't seem to have the problem anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed, though.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 3:34 AM

I opened up the Nvidia Control Panel and under Manage 3D Settings I added Poser to the list. I didn't change anything, just left it all at default settings.  Now Poser 7 is stable.  I can also now use the open GL.  Everything working great.   Sharen

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 2:13 PM

Quote - I opened up the Nvidia Control Panel and under Manage 3D Settings I added Poser to the list. I didn't change anything, just left it all at default settings.  Now Poser 7 is stable.  I can also now use the open GL.  Everything working great.   Sharen

I wonder if that's what I did wrong, before I re-installed the drivers. I did the same thing but then I decided to get creative and tweak some settings :D And so I still had some problems and I just thought that the driver-batch was faulty. But on the second re-install, everything seems to work fine.

Gets rather irritating when you start working on something—haven't even gotten to the rendering part—and then it just crashes on you. I think I wanted to punch the computer after about the fifth time (in a row) that happened.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 4:21 PM

Quote - I opened up the Nvidia Control Panel and under Manage 3D Settings I added Poser to the list. I didn't change anything, just left it all at default settings.  Now Poser 7 is stable.  I can also now use the open GL.  Everything working great.   Sharen

I just did this I went to the Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, clicked "Add" and navigated to the efrontier folder and clicked on the Poser.exe and then saved the changes, rebooted and then opened poser.  In poser I went to the preview tab and checked the box for hardware shading and switched the buffer setting from software to hardware and it seems to be working. When in GL and moving body parts, spining dials and the cameras poser doesn't just crash to desktop now. I will have to see how well this works as I am working on full scenes and not just experimenting with one figure. I hope it continues to to work!

My Facebook Page

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 5:21 PM

This infor was all MikeJ's info he gave me in another thread here at Renderostiy that seemed to appear the same time this one did, he is a life saver and a great researcher/tester.  Thanks again MikeJ...Sharen

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 5:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2749419&page=2#message_3297219

If interested, this is the other link to the thread we talked about this in.  It may shed more light on some of your questions.  Sharen

Willber ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 6:47 PM

file_413615.JPG

Yup...OpenGL issue. Does not occur using ScreeD. Poser7Pro Nvidia driver issue (9600GT) I get the following error. Will try the above and let you know if it works for me

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 6:56 PM

Here's another one that might be related to the crashing issue: strange artifacts appearing in the preview screen when its in OpenGL mode. What I mean by strange artifacts is things like vertical and/or horizontal bars showing any open windows behind the Poser window, or the desktop.

So far, so good, I haven't tinkered with anything since the last re-install and things seem to be working alright. Although there is another Windows update waiting to be installed; will have to wait and see after that.

oddbob ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 12:25 AM

The Open GL preview is badly broken in P7/Pro on some Nvidia cards. It broke about 5 driver revisions back, pre Poser Pro. I've talked to SM about this and we've seen P7 Sr3 and Pro Sr1 since and no fix...
I've been watching forums and it seems to crop up most with GeForce 8 and 9 series cards and Vista 32 or 64 bit. Usually shows up as a crash to desktop when moving the camera after loading a figure. I've also seen reports of it happening part way through a session but I suspect that's something else. I've spent hours prodding and fiddling various things and the easiest fix I've found is to load a simple prop first before attempting to load anything complex with lots of mat zones. Rotate the camera to make sure that Poser and the OpenGL driver have lined up their ducks and it isn't going to quit. Now load your scene or start a new one. Repeat when relaunching the program. I do this when I start playing and I can't remember the last crash I had. The preview settings in the program don't affect stability for me, just the usual speed/quality trade off.

Klebnor ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 8:51 AM

I had this problem on and off for months.  Usually when I tried to re-open a saved scene, but sometimes when loading a character in a new scene (nothing else loaded).  Once these crashes started, I'd frequently have 5 or six in a row, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I did to stop them.

I read in another post that someone had luck with clearing the cache.  Hit control K to open general preferences, hit the "clear cache now" button - answer OK, then load your scene again or start your new scene.

I now clear the cache every time I start, and haven't had the "pop back to windows" crash since.

It appears that there can be a conflict with the cache from a prior session, and everything dumps.  Interestingly, this even happens when I start back to the saved version of the last thing I was working on - one would assume the "undo/redo" files for the current scene would not conflict - but they do!

I also reduced the number of "Undo/Redo" from 100 to 10 levels ( I typically don't need to go back more than one step, so 10 is overkill for me ).

Hope this helps.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Klebnor ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 8:59 AM

BTW, I tried Sree3d and it just made preview look like I was drunk.  Went right back to Open GL.

As stated, no recurrence of the mouse over crash since I started clearing the cache each time.

I think an option for "clear cache on close" would be helpful, given this problem.

Also, I have the latest Nvidia driver installed.

System:

Intel Quad Dual Core Processor 2.66 GHZ
4.00 GB of Ram, 1 TB Raid 5 array
Microsoft XP Home SP3
GeForce 8600GT

Poser 7 SP3

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 4:02 AM

Klebnor
Did you try the above method for Nvidia, it really worked great for me.  No more crashes.  Sharen

Klebnor ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 7:32 AM

Sharen:

Do you mean open the Nvidia Control Panel and add Poser to the list under Manage 3D Settings?  If so, I will try that ... although, clearing the cache seems to keep poser stable for me.

Vielen Dank!

Klebnor Geschwindigkeit
Darmstadtfindet ob der Taube

morphious ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 7:52 AM

I have a different crash. More of a freeze. Only on my laptop. I load a figure or two, then decide to delete one, and after I click "OK" to delete figure, the program freezes. Or if I render, it will freeze. Happens 90% of the time. Why it works ok sometimes is beyond me. Antone have a simular issue? Thanks.

Morphious.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 2:47 PM

yes, that is what I mean.  Sharen

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 4:18 PM

Quote - More of a freeze.

One potential cure that I've seen mentioned is to lower the number of undos.
What's happening, while it appears to be a freeze, it isn't, Poser is saving the figure's state in case you undo the deletion.
If you have a high number of undos set, Poser has to keep track of them, which can be a lot of work and so cause a significant unresponsive period.

Willber ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 5:11 PM

Morphious......after a load of a figure or scene or start up of a render, Poser will load texture files. Sometimes Poser can not find a texture and a dialog box appears....however, for some reason this dialog box is burried under the Poser application.
This appears as a freeze or a hang.
Do the CRTL+ALT+DEL and select Poser in the APPLICATIONS box then select SWITCH TO button.
If this is the problem, the looking for texture dialog will pop to the front. Worth checking.

OpenGL still stable after setting "Let Application Control OpenGL" in the Navidia control panel. 
Three days now no crashes....!

morphious ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 8:24 AM

Well, first, CRTL + ALT+DEL promps the computer to shut down, funny, haha. Poser is not trying to load textures during a delete. As far as undo's go, that's not the case either. From more reading, I have concluded, the nvidia card in my laptop sucks, and is not fully compatible with OpenGL, and 3D apps. Same thing happens with Cinema 4D. After switching to hardware shading in C4, it fixes the problem, but not with poser. Boo on nvidia.

Klebnor ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:59 PM

Wow.   CTRL+ALT+DEL prompts the computer to shut down ... are you kidding?  Only if you're running windows 95 (and even then, you would have to do it twice).  In every MS OS since NT (or 2000 or XP) CTRL+ALT+DEL opens the domain log on, or the task manager, depending on configuration.

I really don't think Wilber was trying to get you to self crash - the description to switch running apps is correct.

Klebnor von der Kuche

morphious ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 1:18 PM

I'm running Vista, and that's what it does on my laptop.

Klebnor ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 8:03 PM

Sorry, morphious.

Next time I am in Sverdlovsk I will check out this Vista.

Did you know Morpheus was god of dreams to early Greeks?

Klebnor der Grosse

nico4 ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2008 at 11:35 AM

Ok, I have read through this thread. The fixes suggested here seem promising. I'm going to try them when I get home. I just wanted to share my issue. The problem I have with Poser crashing is when I launch Poser 7, everything loads correctly at that point. It's when I try and delete Mr. Simon character from the scene is when it crashes. Recently I changed out my ATI Fire GL video card for a GE Force 8800 GT Nvidia. Everything was working fine for a few days until I installed the latest service pack, and then made changes to my paging file. This is when all the crashing started. I also updated my video card to the latest Nvidia drivers. So, having said all that do you all think the same fixes will apply?

Thanks!

Willber ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2008 at 4:50 PM

Suspect the Nvidia driver.....I have had no problems since letting the Application control the OpenGL blah blah blah.....Two weeks of trouble free Poser....knocking on wood now.
By the way...Nvidia released a new driver and that may also help.

nico4 ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 12:05 PM

So let me give you all the latest on my crash problem. Someone mentioned in one of the threads about clearing the cache everytime they go into Poser 7. That seems to be the only thing that works for me, even though I have the application control the Open GL settings.

Hmmmmmm, very strange. I am really dissapointed now that I have to do this because before I upgraded to Poser 7, installed the new service pack and upgraded my ATI Fire GL video card to the Geforce 8800 GT nvidia card, my Poser application was very stable. Now I have all these problems. I'm kinda waiting for it to crash on me again once the cache thing stops working. I am saving my changes every couple of minutes because of this, what a joke!

Klebnor ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 3:25 PM

nico4:

I use the "clear the cache" method, and it works well for me.  I find I only have to do it once, at the beginning of a session.  Once I load a figure and move it, I do not have a problem from then on.  If Poser is going to dump me out, it does it then or not at all.  I save before rendering (if I've made substantial changes) but that's just a habit.

I use P7 SP3 and believe the crashes are related to either video card memory addressing problems or page file conflict caused by the confusing undo information in the cache from a previous session.

I also made the setting change to let the application control Open GL settings, but didn't see any change in the problem.  I run a Geforce 8600 GT.

Once you load a figure (and apply texture) see if you can move it without crashing.  If so, I don't have a problem from then on.  At least that's my experience.  If I'm going to crash, it generally happens when I try to zoom or move the camera, or touch the character after loading.

Good luck.

Klebnor

nico4 ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 3:37 PM

Hello Klebnor,

I haven't had much time to tinker with this but it seems that the way you described it is exactly the way it works for me too. It seems like what your saying (again I haven't had much time to try this) is that when you open Poser, clear the cache and do all your work in Poser, it won't crash on you. This is what I experienced, but what if you close Poser and start all over again? At this point don't you have to clear the cache again? I'm going to say yes because your starting a whole new session of Poser. Again, I haven't had much time to try this out but this seems like  this is how it's going to be until someone fixes the issue.

I have the same setup as you except for the video card, I have the 8800 GT. As long as I can do my thing while in Poser and render and animate I will be happy.

Thanks for all your input.

flibbits ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 11:24 PM

I was having the error before updating the drivers.  Only certain figures would crash Poser as soon as they were loaded and I moved the mouse.  It would always crash three times, then on the fourth try the program wouldn't crash again even if I started a new doc and loaded one of the figures that cause it.

After updating to the latest driver the crash would keep happening, so I had to switch to software.  But now I've added Poser to the manage 3d programs and it stopped crashing.  Now I can use OpenGL preview again, hurrah.

rowlando ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 2:18 AM

Please someone explane what ScreeD  is and how to use it on PC.

I have had so many troubles and reinstalled P7 too many times to  remember this last month

Thanks Rowlando

Seek what you can never loose

Klebnor ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 7:11 AM

Rowlando:

Use Render>Render Settings to get to the Render Dialog
Select the Preview Tab
Your choices for Display Engine are ScreeD (software only) or OpenGL

With OpenGL you can choose hardware acceleration if your card is up to it.

ScreeD is a software only solution, and painfully slow on most systems.  Unless you have a really old video card, or one with very little onboard memory, this is not a usable option.

I would try the options above (application control for OpenGL settings, clear cache before starting) rather than go to ScreeD.  Then again, maybe it will work acceptably for you.

Regards,

Klebnor unter den Menschen

johnjdesigns ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 2:55 PM

How do i clear the cache in Poser 7?

JohnJDesigns - Digital Fabrics for 3D
Commercial Portfolio
Poser Art Portfolio
Renderosity Store

johnjdesigns ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 2:57 PM

OK I found it in preferences, thought there would be a button in the menu.

JohnJDesigns - Digital Fabrics for 3D
Commercial Portfolio
Poser Art Portfolio
Renderosity Store

jartz ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 2:26 AM

Hmm, I just now came to this thread, and read all the information posted here -- it's quite interesting -- for a 'now' Vista user.  I did  made a thread not to long ago about Poser going into a freeze/close on me while using SP3 of SM's Poser 7, after finding out what's going on with that, I went back to e-f's SP2 of Poser 7 and had a few hiccups.  

I tinkered with the NVidia Control Panel and changed the Treaded Optimization to off and most of the other Options to Off.  From then on, no problems as of yet, and using SreeD.

Now I found out that you can clear the cache, and add Poser to the list in your NVidia Control Panel.  Wow, it seems it's a lot of things you can do to get Poser up and running - from compatibility issues to driver issues (Kinda makes me wish I was still in XP - oh well, live and learn).

How's everyone faring with cleaning the cache and adding Poser 7 to the Nvidia Manage 3D list?

I'm glad to have seen this thread.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

rowlando ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 7:43 AM

thanks Klebnor

I will follow your advice.

Rowlando

Seek what you can never loose

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.