Thu, Sep 19, 5:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Blank window. Poser 8

MuonQuark ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 9:09 PM

Well the library for mac users with Snow Leopard is totally hosed.  It never displays the correct content.  When you refresh, the number of items always changes.  Also if you refresh long enough, Poser 8 will crash.

Any mac users out there have a possible fix?  I've uninstalled and reinstalled flash 10 but the library is still hosed.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 9:29 PM · edited Sat, 05 September 2009 at 9:29 PM

Sigh. Why do you not contact SM?

THIS IS A BUG. It has been discussed. I know you can't read every thread. Nor can SM. YOU should talk to THEM.

It would be good if they know every single person who has this problem so they can verify with each and every one that SR1 fixes it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

MuonQuark ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 9:39 PM

Quote - Sigh. Why do you not contact SM?

THIS IS A BUG. It has been discussed. I know you can't read every thread. Nor can SM. YOU should talk to THEM.

It would be good if they know every single person who has this problem so they can verify with each and every one that SR1 fixes it.

Why would you assume that I had not contacted Smith Micro?  As a matter of fact I have, I've opened a ticket.  I was checking here to see if anyone had any work around until a fix has been released.

I appreciate you're feeling stressed this week but that is no reason to snap my head off.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 7:56 AM · edited Sun, 06 September 2009 at 7:57 AM

I assumed you had not talked to them because they know its a bug and there is no workaround, other than to have less folders inside a single folder. If you heard that from them, then you wouldn't ask here. Since you asked here, I assumed you had not heard that from them.

I didn't snap your head off. If I'd snapped your head off, you would be running to the mods demanding I be banned.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

adegner ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 8:28 AM

What worries me the worst now is the SM and poser 8 will be broken every time now that Adobe flash updates itself and of course IE never updates.  It makes perfectly good sense to rely on 2 external programs that have a history of poor coding and being broke.

so count on poser 8 being broke on and off.  Maybe time to put in requests for poser 9 before the
coding starts.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 8:36 AM

....well as you said IE never updates. so that's not a variable is it?

MuonQuark ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:23 AM

Quote - I assumed you had not talked to them because they know its a bug and there is no workaround, other than to have less folders inside a single folder. If you heard that from them, then you wouldn't ask here. Since you asked here, I assumed you had not heard that from them.

I didn't snap your head off. If I'd snapped your head off, you would be running to the mods demanding I be banned.

You think so?  Hmmmm.  I don't think you're a very nice person.  You're rude and disrespectful to people and you're taking your frustration out on me.  I don't deserve it and I'm done with you.

If anyone hears of a resolution/work around for the library problem in Poser 8 on the mac, could you please post it here in this thread?  I'll monitor this thread for updates.
Thank you.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:33 AM · edited Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:33 AM

Wow, somebody help me out here.

"22 posts" thinks I'm rude and disrespectful.

Hey, 22 posts, you want me to write you a love letter every time you need help with a problem? LOL.

I spend at least 20 hours a week on this forum helping people. I'm a consultant. In 20 hours I earn $4000. You obviously are unaware of that and expect me to devote extra time to you. Pay up.

Terse, short and to the point, is not the same as disrespect.

Dirtylooks ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:37 AM

I just wish someone had the answer.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:55 AM · edited Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:56 AM

Answer to what?

I just got done telling you that it's a bug.

Look, the piece of code inside that collects file and folder names has a buffer in it. This buffer initially is sized at 50 items. When it gets over 50 items, the buffer is supposed to be re-allocated to a larger one, move the already found items over, and then release the original buffer. A mistake was made in this particular piece of code, which is unique to the Mac. As soon as Poser examines a folder with more than 50 items, it starts to trash its own memory. This can lead to crashes, data loss, etc. This mistake was not in my part of the Library, the Flex part, but in the C++ part. So I can't tell you any more than that because that's all the developer involved told me.

The only workaround, until SR1 is released, is to not have 50 items in a folder.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 10:17 AM

Quote - Wow, somebody help me out here.

"22 posts" thinks I'm rude and disrespectful.

Hey, 22 posts, you want me to write you a love letter every time you need help with a problem? LOL.

I spend at least 20 hours a week on this forum helping people. I'm a consultant. In 20 hours I earn $4000. You obviously are unaware of that and expect me to devote extra time to you. Pay up.

Terse, short and to the point, is not the same as disrespect.

BB it's a waste of time. Once people has made up their mind you can do anything and they'll still be convinced that you're disrespectful and bit their head off. Terse = rude. People want to be mollycoddled.

If it's any consolation, train passengers are like that, too. If they get the wrong ticket for somewhere (because they can't be bothered to LOOK at what their ticket says) - it's 110% the Railway company's fault.

And yes, they MAY initially have gotten the wrong ticket. People at ticket offices are HUMANS. They hit the wrong key from time to time. But that's why people should CHECK THINGS FIRST - Just...people find it easier to scream bloody murder than to look into things themselves.

I find it amusing.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Dirtylooks ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:07 PM

I don't have a mac. I have been in constant contact with smith micro trying to solve my particular issue. And I wasn't bitching to you. Thanks for all your help. or wait... not your help.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:10 PM · edited Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:12 PM

You don't have a Mac?

You said "I just wish someone had the answer". When you said "the answer", you didn't mean "the answer to the problem being discussed in this thread?"

Because that's what I thought you meant.

I'm not a mind reader. I did reply with "answer to what?" I didn't think you were bitching.

I'm popping in at odd times for a minute or two between things I'm doing for my family and my job, and I'm supposed to be drinking and partying.

Everybody needs to relax. I type fast, I don't think, but I do give answers and info nobody else has.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:39 PM · edited Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:44 PM

I'm sorry but I have to step in here and agree. Terse DOES EQUAL Rude.

Thesaurus.com:

Quote -
Main Entry: terse Part of Speech: adjective Definition: brief, short Synonyms: abrupt, aphoristic, boiled down, breviloquent, brusque, clear-cut, clipped, close, compact, compendiary, compendious, concise, condensed, crisp, cryptic, curt, cut to the bone, elliptical, epigrammatic, exact, gnomic, in a nutshell, incisive, laconic, lean, neat, pithy, pointed, precise, sententious, short and sweet, snappy, succinct, summary, taut, to the point, trenchant

Quote -
Main Entry: rude Part of Speech: adjective Definition: disrespectful, rough Synonyms: abrupt, abusive, bad-mannered, barbarian, barbaric, barbarous, blunt, boorish, brusque, brutish, cheeky, churlish, coarse, crabbed, crude, curt, discourteous, graceless, gross, gruff, ignorant, illiterate, impertinent, impolite, impudent, inconsiderate, insolent, insulting, intrusive, loutish, low, obscene, offhand, peremptory, raw, savage, scurrilous, short, surly, uncivil, uncivilized, uncouth, uncultured, uneducated, ungracious, unmannerly, unpolished, unrefined, vulgar, wild

Nobody's asking to be mollycoddled that I can see, they're just asking for answers given with a little more respect from what I can see. I understand BB gives of his time freely and man, that is FAN-Effin-Tastic! I applaud that! But he does come across quite harshly at times and I've noticed it myself. I still respect him for what he does and what he knows. I just wish he'd take a little constructive critiscism when it comes to his interpersonal skills. You don't have to be abrupt/terse/rude to make your point.

Frankly, calling someone "22 Posts" is blatantly rude! Post count should not be a factor in how we treat people around here. If you look you'll see MuonQuark has been a member here since 2007. Hardly a newbie, and even if he was, you don't treat newbies with disrespect do you?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:45 PM

Well it's semantics. To me, terse = to-the-point.

And when people whine about getting To-the-point messages, well...

Dunno. It's probably because I'm a lot like that IRL myself that BB's replies doesn't strike me as neither rude nor abrubt. They're clear and concise. So some people don't like that? Fine. But noobs (in any foras ect) should put a finger in the ground before calling well-estimed members names ect.

I'm not sayinhg that long membership in itself gives you the right to be rude or anything. But people should learn what to expect perhaps...

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:48 PM

Quote - I'm sorry but I have to step in here and agree. Terse DOES EQUAL Rude.

Frankly, calling someone "22 Posts" is blatantly rude! Post count should not be a factor in how we treat people around here. If you look you'll see MuonQuark has been a member here since 2007. Hardly a newbie, and even if he was, you don't treat newbies with disrespect do you?

edited for brevatiy

and you think constantly badgering the man, telling him he didt do his job right, he does not know what hes talking about etc ain`t rude??

Im surprised its taken this long for him to snap at someone!

I think its time to cut some slack round here. you try being under the kind of attack hes been under and see if YOU don`t get terse.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:49 PM · edited Sun, 06 September 2009 at 6:53 PM

I've been known to be terse in the forums. I also know it's something I actively work towards not doing for the sake of peace.

Quote - and you think constantly badgering the man, telling him he didt do his job right, he does not know what hes talking about etc ain`t rude??

I just went back through every page of this thread. MuonQuark never badgered BB at all! In fact he's got all of two posts in this thread.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 7:28 PM

read the other threads as well.
he's been under constant badgering since just before P8 came out. it's not just 1 person involved here.

MuonQuark ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 8:31 PM · edited Sun, 06 September 2009 at 8:33 PM

First of all, I'm not new.  Not to 3D programs nor to posting in forums.  That's another "assumption" that's being made.  I wonder how many more wrong assumptions are going to be made?  So far there have been several bad assumptions made.  For the record, I've been doing 3D art and posting to forums for many years now.  One I have been a member of for 7 years.  Just because I only show "22 posts" here does not mean I'm not familiar with 3D programs or with posting in a forum.  I've been using Bryce, DAZ Studio, Poser, and Vue for three years now.  So does that clear things up as to whether I'm a newbie or not?

Secondly, I don't care how long someone has been a member of ANY forum.  It does not give them the right to be rude and disrespectful to anyone.  I was just an owner of Poser 8 coming to this thread because someone thought the answer to the Poser 8 library issue I'm having on my mac was here.  I had just upgraded to Snow Leopard yesterday morning and was in the initial stages of investigating.  What I received for asking a simple question was someone who thought I was an idiot and had not done what he thought I should have done prior to posting here, which as it turned out, I had done before posting here.  He made several very bad assumptions about the poster and was rude and disrespectful and I called him on it.  I was not "badgering" anyone.  The question was asked of the general public and did not speak badly of anyone, including Smith Micro.  He didn't have to reply to my question like that.

I will not tolerate bad behavior from anyone and I will call them on it every single time.  This is the third time I have tried to post here at Renderosity and ran into disrespectful people.  Hence the reason for only 22 posts here at Renderosity.  I can also say that this post will be my absolute last here at Renderosity.  If this is how you treat people who ask a simple question, and the Mods allow it, then I have no use for the forums here anymore.  You guys certainly don't represent the Renderosity community very well in my opinion.

I sincerely wish you all the best.  Please try and be a little more respectful of one another and also stop making assumptions about the poster.  These assumptions will generally come back to bite you in the butt.

Thank you and goodbye.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 12:01 AM · edited Mon, 07 September 2009 at 12:01 AM

I don't agree with your assessment. And now that you're blowing this all out of proportion and we're talking about how we talk, it's going to get really silly and make no sense anymore.

But let's just keep going then I suppose, instead of talking about Poser.

Here's my first response to your stated problem:

Quote - **Sigh. Why do you not contact SM?

It would be good if they know every single person who has this problem so they can verify with each and every one that SR1 fixes it.**

Which part of that was rude and disrespectful? Yes, I assumed you had not contacted them. That is not rude. That is a simple consequence of the very question you asked.

In your next post you asked why I assumed that?

Quote - Why would you assume that I had not contacted Smith Micro?

I answered you. I was not rude. I simply answered your question. I assumed you had not contacted entirely because of what you said in your first post. This is what you said:

Quote - Any mac users out there have a possible fix?  I've uninstalled and reinstalled flash 10 but the library is still hosed.

If you had contacted SM, you know there is no fix, and you would not be asking this question, or re-installing Flash. You would know that re-installing Flash has nothing to do with the fact that the file scanner inside the C++ code (not the Flash part) is broken. That's what I said in my next post.

Here's what I said:

Quote - **I assumed you had not talked to them because they know its a bug and there is no workaround, other than to have less folders inside a single folder. If you heard that from them, then you wouldn't ask here. Since you asked here, I assumed you had not heard that from them.

I didn't snap your head off. If I'd snapped your head off, you would be running to the mods demanding I be banned**.

By then you declared me rude and disrespectful. Those are the only three posts I made to you. Which one is rude and disrespectful? Which phrase? Which word? Where is the word idiot anywhere?

I called you "22 posts" after you complained about my communication style. My point was not that I'm owed respect for being here a long time. My point was that you appear to not know who I am, and maybe you should look around and see what I generally post about, and cut me some slack. Do I have to show you all the threads where I'm thanked profusely for all my help? Geez.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 12:13 AM · edited Mon, 07 September 2009 at 12:15 AM

Quote - I'm sorry but I have to step in here and agree. Terse DOES EQUAL Rude.

Thesaurus.com:

Quote -
Main Entry: terse Part of Speech: adjective Definition: brief, short Synonyms: abrupt, aphoristic, boiled down, breviloquent, brusque, clear-cut, clipped, close, compact, compendiary, compendious, concise, condensed, crisp, cryptic, curt, cut to the bone, elliptical, epigrammatic, exact, gnomic, in a nutshell, incisive, laconic, lean, neat, pithy, pointed, precise, sententious, short and sweet, snappy, succinct, summary, taut, to the point, trenchant

Quote -
Main Entry: rude Part of Speech: adjective Definition: disrespectful, rough Synonyms: abrupt, abusive, bad-mannered, barbarian, barbaric, barbarous, blunt, boorish, brusque, brutish, cheeky, churlish, coarse, crabbed, crude, curt, discourteous, graceless, gross, gruff, ignorant, illiterate, impertinent, impolite, impudent, inconsiderate, insolent, insulting, intrusive, loutish, low, obscene, offhand, peremptory, raw, savage, scurrilous, short, surly, uncivil, uncivilized, uncouth, uncultured, uneducated, ungracious, unmannerly, unpolished, unrefined, vulgar, wild

Nobody's asking to be mollycoddled that I can see, they're just asking for answers given with a little more respect from what I can see. I understand BB gives of his time freely and man, that is FAN-Effin-Tastic! I applaud that! But he does come across quite harshly at times and I've noticed it myself. I still respect him for what he does and what he knows. I just wish he'd take a little constructive critiscism when it comes to his interpersonal skills. You don't have to be abrupt/terse/rude to make your point.

And being called rude when you're not actually rude is obnoxious. Read my 3 posts leading up to being called rude. There was no rudeness.

And your tactic of finding common synonyms isn't a valid approach to argument of word equivalence. You're employing what is called the "transitive closure", and while it is great for figuring out if there is a way to get from point A to point B via trains or planes, it leads to nonsense equivalents when applied to synonyms.

For example, using a synonym closure, by the same argument you gave above, I can show that mollycoddle means the same as destroy.

mollycoddle <= > spoil <=> destroy

I'm pretty sure you would argue that mollycoddle does NOT mean destroy. And yet that's the exact type of false argument you used above to prove that terse means rude.

You know what I think is rude? People jumping in to pile on to a really stupid argument, and adding really bad arguments on top of the stupid one.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 3:57 AM · edited Mon, 07 September 2009 at 4:10 AM

First off, the man asked a question and your first reply to him made explicit use of ALL CAPS.

Now, we all know, that ALL CAPS is counsidered SHOUTING on the internet, so in effect. He asked a question and you replied by screaming in his face. Rude. You wouldn't do it in person, don't do it on the net.

When he called you on it and was miffed that you assumed something that was not true, your lame excuse was that if he had contacted SM first, he would know the answer. He stated he had opened a ticket. IE: He contacted them first. That doesn't mean he got an answer back before coming to the forums to see if there was an answer already here. It just means he did what you assumed he hadn't.

Your response to this was to call him by his post count dismissively and ask him if he needed you to write him a love letter with every reply you made. Again. Rude. Bill, you can throw all the math terminology at me that you want to. I looked up Transitive Closure and it's a math term. It has no meaning when it comes to the use of Synonyms in the english language in their most common usage. You may be a math genius, but you're no english major if you think the use of Synonyms makes my argument false. The very definition of Synonyms is that they CAN be used in place of their synonym counterparts. Every english student learns this in their first year.

Quote -
syn⋅o⋅nym  ***
–noun*** 1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as joyful, elated, glad.

When using a thesarus to find synonyms, it's known that the further into the list you go, the further away from the actual meaning of the original word you get. In my example the very first synonym for both Rude and Terse is Abrupt. This means that those two words are interchangeable with the least amount of discrepency. in your example, you've gone all the way down the list to the seventh meaning of spoil which is destroy and the second to last possible synonym to be used for spoil. Your comparison fails!

All symantics aside, you were rude by shouting and then rude and dismissive when called on it. You think I'm rude for coming to the defense of someone else? Gee, I'm sorry.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 6:31 AM

But.. BB didn't shout. (well he might have but I didn't see it as shouting)

I make use of ALL CAPS words all of the time - for emphasis. I do it in EVERYTHING I write. It's not shouting, it's emphasizing (however that may be spelled?) 

And frankly, I dont blame BB for stressing that "this is a known bug" when it has been said numerous times in the past.

Sometimes it seems like everybody here just jumps in and asks the same questions ad nauseam - without even checking if the question has been answered before.

And granted, the search function here is rather rudimentary, and some of the threads are very long.. but still... The least you can do is LOOK first (see there's that non-shouting emphasis again)

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 7:27 AM

Well I don't know what to tell you, TG. I've been on the internet since 1988/89 when Delphi plugged into the web and before that it was BBS systems and it's been a communications Faux Pas to use all caps for emphasis because most people consider it to be the same as shouting at someone. That's been the standard for over 20 years. I find it hard to believe that neither you nor BB have heard of this before.

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 8:43 AM

Ok, enough.  

I read the thread, because I got a complaint.

I'm going to go right on ahead and say BB was NOT RUDE until people started bagging on him for being rude.  Gotta say, if I'm called out for being rude when I'm simply trying to help, I get pissy, too.

Don't like it when someone gives answers in a matter-of-fact tone?  Sorry about your luck, that's how most people that actually know the answer give it.  Don't like the answer?  It doesn't make it rude.

Now, before anyone else goes ahead and complains that someone's being rude, take a minute to wonder how far out of your way you are going to take what is being said personally.  I WILL NOT tolerate complaints directed at anyone who doesn't deserve them, and I especially will not tolerate complaints from those who shoot first.

Jeni

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:08 AM · edited Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:10 AM

Quote - Lostinspaceman: I'm sorry but I have to step in here and agree. Terse DOES EQUAL Rude.

(quoted as is, the caps were there)

Quote - Lostinspaceman: it's been a communications Faux Pas to use all caps for emphasis because most people consider it to be the same as shouting at someone.

You need to eat your own dog food.

I used the caps for emphasis and so did you, not shouting.

And JenX just used caps to emphasize words, as well. Heheheh.

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:16 AM · edited Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:16 AM

Yeah, but in my brain, I was shouting those words.  /nod

The "standard" that all caps is shouting, IMHO, is kind of silly.  Especially in circumstances where using the HTML to emphasize your point would be impratical.  True, while posts in complete caps or where every 3 words is completely capitalized...yeah, it's annoying.  But, a word or two?  C'mon.  Get over the caps.  If you want me to yell at you, I can give you my skype account, LOL.  You'll probably want the caps back instead, though.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:27 AM

Quote - When using a thesarus to find synonyms, it's known that the further into the list you go, the further away from the actual meaning of the original word you get.

Actually, it's known that the synonyms are listed in alphabetical order. Go look at your post.

LOL.

3anson ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:43 AM

it is generally accepted that all caps is shouting. to emphasize a word or statement, the normal thing is to use bold,   italic or to underline.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:48 AM

it is?
I thought it was an entire posting of caps was shouting.

shows that everyone's got their own idea on the subject....

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 9:57 AM

That's my understanding as well, Kaibach.  Regardless, I'm still going to emphasize random words in my posts that need emphasis with caps.  Because it's impractical in this software to use HTML on a constant basis, and, frankly, unless I'm writing a tutorial, I'm not going to take the time to highlight random words that are going to be glossed over anyway.

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 10:05 AM

In any case, now that we've had our interwebz grammar lesson, how about the subject at hand?  The library problem in Poser 8, right?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 10:17 AM

BB has already  "shouted" the answer to the subject LOL

Einzelganger ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 10:56 AM

its sad to see the thread that i started, nurtured, watched take its first steps and grow to full maturity, become bitter and twisted..sigh

just a bit of comedy (?) to lighten the mood folks :D

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 12:50 PM

Hehehj yea.. poor widdle thread pats thread

Threads are like kids I guess.. some of them grow into something we'd wish they hadn't...

And it's always someone elses fault ;)

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 3:05 PM

:lol:

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 6:51 PM

You're firewall is blocking the libraries from  loading in poser 8, try turning it off or setting poser 8 components to have access.

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 9:01 PM

I just dashed to the end of this thread and I have a question: Does anyone have a workaround for the library problem?

KIDDING!!

(gleeful shouting, bold and italic for emphasis, centered for attention)

I just wanted to say thanks to all who posted to this thread for the great entertainment value. A thread about a blank window that ended in a heated debate about the english language and grammar conventions! Common! You've got to see the comic value of this thread!

Vestmann's Gallery

Morana ( ) posted Sun, 20 September 2009 at 12:33 PM

Quote - Now, let me add that I went through all of this that I posted several times. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Flash about 4 times. I went into Norton and made sure that Poser had permission to run. I did a whole lot of things and still my window was blank. BB came on one night and gave me some URLs to click (I'm not sure where the thread is), anyway, they came back with an error screen under IE and I showed him screenshots. He then looked up what the error message was talking about and told me to try under IE turning off the auto dectect LAN settings. I unchecked this box and low and behold, Poser 8's Library palette suddenly started working. I am going to post a screen shot of what I'm talking about. Try unchecking the box for auto detect LAN settings.

Thank you!!!  I just installed a new harddrive and upgraded to Windows 7 yesterday, and for the life of me I could not get the Poser 8 library to come up (reinstalled P8 and Flash several times, unblocked firewall settings, etc., etc.).  But unchecking that one little box finally did the trick.

lady-morana.deviantart.com

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 20 September 2009 at 3:10 PM

I'm very glad that worked for you! I was just about at my wits end and ready to just give up with it all. I had already purchased the XL Library browser python script and was using that to navigate from Poser 8, but unchecking that one little box did the trick. Now, I use a combination of the Poser 8 Library and XL python. Good luck to you!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

mylemonblue ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 3:56 AM

Quote - You're firewall is blocking the libraries from  loading in poser 8, try turning it off or setting poser 8 components to have access.

Wow. Your firewall can block the libraries? (O_O);;

• head desk *

I learn something more every day. 

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

Dizzi ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 5:16 AM

The firewall can also disrupt the rendering in a separate process (you only get blank page) even if it does work with Poser 7 and Poser Pro ;-) 

mackis3D ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 6:22 AM

The firewall is the Wall Street of the Internet! ;-)

Lonezoner ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 4:12 AM

can't find this Host file to check the settings for the life of me.where EXACTLY is it?

Lonezoner ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 5:39 AM

just did a complete system check no file like that on my computer. Just to make my last post clear i am referring to the file that you are suppose to check a couple pages back.

To verify that all items were installed correctly, check the following Folder

... windows/system32/drivers/etc

for the Hosts File. In Hosts, using Notepad, look for the following entry

127.0.0.1 ::1 localhost

change it to

127.0.0.1 localhost

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 6:41 AM · edited Fri, 06 November 2009 at 6:43 AM

My hosts file (running XP) is in

C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts

I can't remember where it is on Vista but it might be the same.

The purpose of this file is to explicitly associate human-readable names for computers with their IP addresses. Some anti-malware programs, such as Spybot Search and Destroy, will use this file as a trick to prevent you from connected to known malware servers.

Spybot has put hundreds of entries in mine, all pointing to the loopback address, 127.0.0.1. This means that if my browser should get tricked into attempting to go to these computers, by name, it will instead ask my own computer for whatever malware is being served, which, of course, will result in nothing bad happening. It's a rather ugly trick but it does work.

However, if part of this strategy is to also block 127.0.0.1, then all local communication will actually be prevented. Spybot commented out the one line that really matters in my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

It changed it to

#127.0.0.1 localhost

But it doesn't matter as my system is configured to allow communication to 127.0.0.1 and Poser doesn't actually use the word "localhost" when trying to connect its various pieces.

Lonezoner ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 7:03 AM

ok thanx for the quick reply ......so if there is no such file on my computer do I need one and if so how do I create it?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 8:53 AM

You don't need one, but if you have a bad one it needs to be fixed.

Lonezoner ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 9:42 AM

ok thanx

Dirtylooks ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 3:21 PM

I had previously tried everything described in this thread to no avail. After going through each of my services in msconfig and disabling one at a time. I found that AOL top speed monitor was the problem. Hope this helps someone.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.