Sun, Sep 15, 5:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 4:45 pm)

Subject: Done with DAZ

TJaiman ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:30 AM · edited Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:32 AM

Quote - This Google search will bring up pages on the topics from the DAZ Forums:

false positive site:forum.daz3d.com

Due to the updates at DAZ 3D you might have to view the Google cached versions of the pages if you require to read the contents.

Google is, currently, pretty iffy with that addy, and the forumarchive one.

For the moment, I get better results with the DNS number:

false positive site:http://66.180.192.247

nDelphi ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quote - And once again I will ask the question everyone seems to be avoiding answering, if you downloaded content from a site besides DAZ and it sets off your antiV would you pause/turn off your antiV to install it?

No, but you are talking about a trusted supplier of content of many years here, not an unknown flyby-night operation.

The first time it happened to me with a DAZ installer, I did pause, then I went looking for answers, and when it was clear to me it was a false positive from my current anti-virus at that time (this was around 2007) I ignored it as such and installed my content. I was new to DAZ 3D at that time. I know you have been around a long time, I believe longer than I have to know DAZ 3D not to be a "flea infested" operation.

The difference between you and I is that you think your anti-virus is infallible and your thought process here is flawed.

So there, I did answer the question "everyone" was avoiding. :)

3D DAZ Studio/Poser Celebrity Lookalike Directory

Jazzmin ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 3:30 PM

manleystanley is right.

I don't know about the new DAZ installers, but the older installers were reporting personal information on pre Win 7 machines. After Win 7 came out there was a mistake in the installer that revealed two web pages, showing the personal data that was being transmitted, including the IP address, while installing the product. In pre Win 7 machines there would be a quick flash on the screen, but the customer proabably wouldn't have noticed. It was more than likely a third party company that reported to DAZ the personal statistical information. Even if you didn't run the browser the info still went out. That might be why the antiV pops up for some people, such as manleystanley.

Vive Bene.  Spesso L'Amore.  Di Risata Molto.
Live Well.  Love Often.  Laugh Much.

Jazzmin ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 4:21 PM

Quote - > Quote - And once again I will ask the question everyone seems to be avoiding answering, if you downloaded content from a site besides DAZ and it sets off your antiV would you pause/turn off your antiV to install it?

No, but you are talking about a trusted supplier of content of many years here, not an unknown flyby-night operation.

The first time it happened to me with a DAZ installer, I did pause, then I went looking for answers, and when it was clear to me it was a false positive from my current anti-virus at that time (this was around 2007) I ignored it as such and installed my content. I was new to DAZ 3D at that time. I know you have been around a long time, I believe longer than I have to know DAZ 3D not to be a "flea infested" operation.

The difference between you and I is that you think your anti-virus is infallible and your thought process here is flawed.

So there, I did answer the question "everyone" was avoiding. :)

I agree, they are a supplier of content.  Trusted... eh... not so much.  They are a business who is paranoid about protecing their copyright and will do anything they deem necessary to do so.  Even if that means invading your privacy.  But hey, if you don't mind an installer grabbing your personal information and reporting it to whomever without your knowledge then more power to you.  Blindly trusting any company, no matter how long they've been in business, is naive.  Use your common sense and always trust your gut.

Thought process is flawed?  I disagree.  What's the point of using antiV if you're not going to take it seriously.  I'm not familiar with the program manleystanley is using, but it picks up on something the DAZ installer is doing while installing "content." Perhaps it's extracting personal information and submitting to a third party company that reports to DAZ.  I believe manleystanley is taking the warning seriously and if one is not going to take it seriously, to some degree, then what's the point of using it.  Might as well not use anything at all.

With regard to the question... If I downloaded content from a site besides DAZ and it was an installer that set my antiV off, I would not pause my antiV to install it.  Rather I would contact the company to find out more info including an alternate source of installation, like a zip.

nDelphi ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 4:32 PM

Quote - manleystanley is right.

I don't know about the new DAZ installers, but the older installers were reporting personal information on pre Win 7 machines. After Win 7 came out there was a mistake in the installer that revealed two web pages, showing the personal data that was being transmitted, including the IP address, while installing the product. In pre Win 7 machines there would be a quick flash on the screen, but the customer proabably wouldn't have noticed. It was more than likely a third party company that reported to DAZ the personal statistical information. Even if you didn't run the browser the info still went out. That might be why the antiV pops up for some people, such as manleystanley.

According to Richard Haseltine (Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 pm):

Quote - The installers do, or did, check for network access but they don't use it - there's no "call home" element. It is, however, possible that the security software on your system is taking pre-emptive action and so causing the installer to fail.

Usually it is the anti-malware part of the anti-virus package that would warn you. So I grant you that this can cause problems with anti-malware/anti-viruses. Still, a false positive can be ignored when considering where the installers are coming from, it's just commonsense.

I have read a lot on this over the years and I never did see proof that DAZ was receiving personal information from installers. If you have read a post with someone showing proof of this please post the link. Otherwise I treat these as rumors. Many installer packages, including the open source releases, have the ability to allow the developer of a software to receive personal info, many installers include the code regardless if you didn't check a box to setup the feature when creating the installers (this code in the installers could be the bases for all those rumors).

Many software publishers have in the past been hammered when their installers were caught sending personal information and they suffered greatly in the press and loss reputation. Normally, you should always ask the public if it is OK to gather and send this information. Something tells me that if DAZ 3D was doing this in the past it would quickly have been reported and proven and a huge brouhaha would have ensued. I mean, DAZ 3D is getting hammered, as usual, even when moving to a new store engine. LOL!

Bejaymac ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 6:20 PM

Quote - @ Chohole and D/S Mods and anyone else who knows:

I am not complaining about the Daz site, only wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Yep, your shopping on a broken site so stay away from it till they fix it.

mishamcm ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quote - @ Chohole and D/S Mods and anyone else who knows:

I am not complaining about the Daz site, only wondering if I'm doing something wrong. All day today I have been attempting to shop a bit at Daz, but now none of my Plat. Club discounts are showing on any of my items. Only yesterday they were working fine. Am I doing something wrong or is this happening to anyone else? I don't expect Daz to have everything fixed quickly, only ASAP. I know that these things take time, I remember the last big changes here at Rendo. I just don't want to buy w/o my discounts, and wondering if it's my fault.

Please don't lock or delete this thread until I get an answer please, but I'll understand. You do what you think is best.

John

PC prices and most sales prices weren't showing for part of the weekend, but they appear to be working since yesterday.  Are you still having trouble getting PC prices to show?

Jazzmin ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 7:05 PM

Quote - > Quote - manleystanley is right.

According to Richard Haseltine (Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 pm):

Quote - The installers do, or did, check for network access but they don't use it - there's no "call home" element. It is, however, possible that the security software on your system is taking pre-emptive action and so causing the installer to fail.

Usually it is the anti-malware part of the anti-virus package that would warn you. So I grant you that this can cause problems with anti-malware/anti-viruses. Still, a false positive can be ignored when considering where the installers are coming from, it's just commonsense.

I have read a lot on this over the years and I never did see proof that DAZ was receiving personal information from installers. If you have read a post with someone showing proof of this please post the link. Otherwise I treat these as rumors. Many installer packages, including the open source releases, have the ability to allow the developer of a software to receive personal info, many installers include the code regardless if you didn't check a box to setup the feature when creating the installers (this code in the installers could be the bases for all those rumors).

Many software publishers have in the past been hammered when their installers were caught sending personal information and they suffered greatly in the press and loss reputation. Normally, you should always ask the public if it is OK to gather and send this information. Something tells me that if DAZ 3D was doing this in the past it would quickly have been reported and proven and a huge brouhaha would have ensued. I mean, DAZ 3D is getting hammered, as usual, even when moving to a new store engine. LOL!

I was not talking about rumors. I was talking about fact because I have personally experienced it. It has to do with using the old installers (as of August 2008). At the end of the install if you left the check mark for the readme the screen flashed so quickly that you couldn't see the information (like a DOS command) that redirected to a previously existing statistics server. In Win 7 the browser opened and showed the previously hidden information that was being transmitted. In XP, for example, this did not happen, so people didn't notice, but it revealed itself in Win 7. The three pages that opened are:

1. file://localhost/path of your install (readme)

Hosts:

1. http://www.data.your country code/poser

2. http://www.downloads.your country/readme's/product name

The DAZ product readme does not open in Win 7 because it's actually redirected over the other hosts. In theory, the installer sends out install time, product and install location to two servers. These send back the info to your localhost to open the readme on your machine. But, as the hosts do not exist anymore and data is not collected, the info does not get back to your machine and the readme will not open. The readme can only be opened manually from the installed folder.

It might be a fluke that this happened, but using other installers from other companies created in 2008, for example Illusions Designs product installers or any simple installers, don't show this phenomenon of opening three browser pages, two of which collect personal data. So does this mean that DAZ had corrupt installers for years without their knowledge? I don't think so.

If this was an attempt to fight piracy then DAZ should have informed their customers, beforehand, that statistical information would be sent. The DAZ installers that were made between 2001 - 2005 also do not show this phenomenon. Since hidden info is attempting to be sent, I believe manleystanleys's antiV is picking up on this and that's why he gets a warning.

Perhaps there was a quiet brouhaha over this and that's why DAZ has their latest set of installers, which as far as I can tell do not send private information to anyone. For over ten years people have been asking for zip installers, but DAZ ignored these requests. The only reason they're going to zip installers now is simply due to their new eCommerce store. That's just one of the reasons DAZ may be getting hammered. They don't really listen to their customers, or plan well, they do as they please and this is what it gets them... a good hammering.

I know you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please most of the people most of the time. If they cared about their customers then, for one example, they would have listened to the majority of them who have requested zip installers years ago.

I would love to shop at DAZ, but they have chosen to lock me out. I will not be forced into using software I don't want to use. They are the one's who have limited their profits. I can't use Genesis or the Gen 5 dolls because it's not Poser applicable. Their choice to limit profits, not mine.

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 7:07 PM

@mishamcm
Working fine for me now as is the rest of the store. Thanks for asking!

John

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

nDelphi ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 7:52 PM

Quote -

Hosts:

I am curious, are those the actual URLs? If so, they seem to be from templates from the installer's creation software.

I re-installed a lot of content from installers from that period to my external hard drive recently, and still am. I run Windows 7 and I have never seen this, not even recently.

Also, I am installing without creating uninstallers and to a temp folder on my C:tempinstall before moving just what I want over to my new runtimes on my external hard drive.

I am not looking to create excuses for DAZ 3D, I am curious to know if those are the actually URLs, because if they are they seem to be an issue when creating the installer files. I remember creating installation files for MAC SO X for my 3D Librarian software and I had to try several times over several updates to get it right. Luckily I had help from a user of the software and am glad no one jumped the gun and accused me of nefarious reasons when in reality it was user error.

kyoto_kid ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:20 PM

...guess I have little to worry about as to conserve resources on my nearly 6 year old 32 bit notebook, I don't install when I'm online.  When the 3G USB modem is removed/wireless access turned off,  there is no way my system can make a connection to the net. 

...forsaken daughter is watching you.

[Intel Xeon 5660 Hyperthreading 6 core CPU, 24GB GSkill Ripjaws 1333 DDR3 Tri Channel RAM, Nvidia Titan-X GPU with 12GB GDDR5 & 3072 cores, 1 x AData 240 GB SSD (boot) + 1 x 2TB HDD, EGVA 850 G5 PSU Antec P-193 with more fans than Justin Bieber.]

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 12:26 AM

Jazzmin, you seem to "know" an awful lot about what DAZ thinks and why they do things. Since your not a DAZ representative I have to assume that it is yet more speculation based on little or no solid information. Unless you can provide real proof like screen shots or quotes from someone within the company verifying it then it is simply your version of a rumor. Sounds like a big secret to have been able to keep with thousands of us installing hundreds of those over the years.

The biggest reason I think this is a bunch of BS is that if DAZ did have all that information for years and years don't you think we would have heard of them catching and prosecuting at least a few of the thousands of people who have stolen content over the years?

"For over ten years people have been asking for zip installers, but DAZ ignored these requests."  And for just that long people have been requesting that they keep the installers. I've not heard one word one about the site change being the reason for a change to zips by the way. It may be simply that they have finally developed a compromise for those of us who didn't want zips and those who did. In this case the download manager thingy.

www.Calida3d.com
Daz studio and Poser content creators

3anson ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 2:31 AM

a company is NOT going to admit that it is collecting personal info in a covert way!!  so whatever makes anyone think that any answer given by a company rep on the issue would be true is delusional, or just has a blind faith in that company..

as fo Stans complaint, it is a legitimate concern. AV's are for the purpose of protecting your personal data and machines( YES some malware CAN cripple your computer, necessitating a drive replacement or can even corrupt the bios) so if a companies products CONSISTANTLY trip warnings, the companies products are at fault, not the AV.

i personally do not use an 'active' AV on my net rig because of lack of resources, but i do run scans at least once a week with several 'on demand' scanners.

plus i run all executables in a Sandbox environment, and scan all zips before installing to the same Sandbox , before installing to a runtime or archiving the files.

fyi, as an aside, the CMS 'pings' ALL outbound ports BEFORE it looks at the internal ports it needs to run

TJaiman ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 2:42 AM

Quote - fyi, as an aside, the CMS 'pings' ALL outbound ports BEFORE it looks at the internal ports it needs to run

What do you base this assertion on?

TJaiman ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 2:48 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 2:59 AM

Quote - I was not talking about rumors. I was talking about fact because I have personally experienced it. It has to do with using the old installers (as of August 2008). At the end of the install if you left the check mark for the readme the screen flashed so quickly that you couldn't see the information (like a DOS command) that redirected to a previously existing statistics server. In Win 7 the browser opened and showed the previously hidden information that was being transmitted. In XP, for example, this did not happen, so people didn't notice, but it revealed itself in Win 7. The three pages that opened are:

Hosts:

The DAZ product readme does not open in Win 7 because it's actually redirected over the other hosts. In theory, the installer sends out install time, product and install location to two servers. These send back the info to your localhost to open the readme on your machine. But, as the hosts do not exist anymore and data is not collected, the info does not get back to your machine and the readme will not open. The readme can only be opened manually from the installed folder.

It might be a fluke that this happened, but using other installers from other companies created in 2008, for example Illusions Designs product installers or any simple installers, don't show this phenomenon of opening three browser pages, two of which collect personal data. So does this mean that DAZ had corrupt installers for years without their knowledge? I don't think so.

Which installers were involved?

There are security sites all over the place. They can walk you through diagonosing what's actually happening. (Since you can't legally send them examples). Anybody there would be delighted to discover a new malware and spread the word, far and wide.

I agree with nDelphi, this sounds like a curiosity, a minor goofup with template files, or whatever. But why not find out?

With Zone Alarm, and all the variety of other protection suites & utilities that people run, it'd be astounding that nobody noticed spyware behaviour with widely distributed files, before (regardless of OS). Especially considering the tech-savvy of such a large percentage of the Poserverse customers.

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:07 AM

I know the following statement is fact,  because my dog told me.

Apparently for years now Daz have been tirelessly working towards destroying their own website infrastructure in an effort to lose infinite amounts of cash, credibility and the respect loyal Daz customers. The Daz hierarchy have reportedly been conspiring to inject viruses and malware into all their exe.files in a concentrated effort to attain customer’s personal data which they could then programme into a purpose built mainframe computer. This information would allow them to pinpoint each members domicile and using their latest technology, a “laser guided memory extraction JavaScript tabulator”, would give them full mind control of around one million people.

For years, governments agents from around the world have been monitoring the Daz situation, but until recently never found any conclusive evidence of wrongdoing.

However, in an Animal Research Laboratory located somewhere in South Wales an undercover agent discovered that sheep were being implanted with a sinister zip.file virus.  Yet, again another Daz master plan!!  It has been reported that as soon as one of these sheep came into contact with a Daz member the virus would activate automatically and infected spores would be released into the air via the sheep’s backside. The victims would then unknowingly inhale the spores and thus become infected themselves. Victims are completely oblivious to the fact they carry the virus, It only becomes transparent that something is seriously wrong when they try to start-up Daz software……..It crashes, content goes missing and plug-ins will not work, etc, etc.  The after effects of the virus are even more terrifying, victims have been known to enter forums and randomly denounce Daz as being incompetent and uncaring……..all, just as the Daz3D company had planned!

I also have solid proof that a large rocket ship [built by Daz3D] will be launched from somewhere in Utah and its destination will be Mars. They intend to colonize the planets spreading chaos and devastation in their wake!!!

If I hear anymore I will be sure to update you guys.

TJaiman ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:08 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:19 AM

Quote - as fo Stans complaint, it is a legitimate concern.

Again, then why not find out?

Heuristics are for guessing if it's a brand-new malware, which hasn't been reported to anyone yet. They are a yellow flag, not a red flag.

More effort is required from the safety-consious user.

Simplest thing he could do is set the files aside, for a while, and scan with the next upgrade/update (whenever Avast says they've fixed their issue).

More proactively, scan with multiple online scanners.

Multiple files? See what the A/V thinks they are. If each one is a different brand-new malware, then you know you've got an infinitesimal chance that Daz was the first one infected with each one.

Or report suspicions to a security site, and see what they advise.

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:18 AM

kylumi ..You make me thankful I keep forgetting to install that sheep..

www.Calida3d.com
Daz studio and Poser content creators

3anson ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:23 AM

why do say 'assertion'?  are you calling me a liar?

i 'SAW' the CMS 'pinging' the outbound ports.

i was concerned with the need to have it installed as a Windows service. considering it is basically a database, and properly coded would not need to be installed as a service.

so i took a copy of DS4 to a friend of mine who has been programming for over 30 years, he installed it to a 'work rig' and ran a special debugging app he developed on the base code of the CMS. it was there on the screen as the app was running that the CMS WAS pinging outbound ports before it started to look for the internal ports it needs to run.

so, stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!   :))

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:39 AM

Quote - kylumi ..You make me thankful I keep forgetting to install that sheep..

Not a problem Kory, I am here to serve. :thumbupboth:

TJaiman ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:48 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 4:00 AM

Quote - why do say 'assertion'?  are you calling me a liar?

No offence was meant. "Assertion" is not-equal to "liar", at least not in my book.

It's an assertion because you didn't provide any details, nor reason to believe it, in your previous post.

Now that there's more detail, it would still have to be verified (reproduced), by others, qualified people, to leave the "assertion" catagory.

To me, the subject of malware is a serious one. Such suspicions call for rigorous investigation. So please forgive me if I speak in a clinical fashion. (I'm not trying to sound like I know more than I actually know. But there are ways to go about things. Hard-core experts are out there. They should be consulted)..

Quote - i 'SAW' the CMS 'pinging' the outbound ports. i was concerned with the need to have it installed as a Windows service. considering it is basically a database, and properly coded would not need to be installed as a service.

so i took a copy of DS4 to a friend of mine who has been programming for over 30 years, he installed it to a 'work rig' and ran a special debugging app he developed on the base code of the CMS. it was there on the screen as the app was running that the CMS WAS pinging outbound ports before it started to look for the internal ports it needs to run.

Then perhaps you could ask him to report his findings, and testing methodology, to people who can try to reproduce his test. Like I said, there are many experts who should be happy to try to confirm such a thing, and evaluate it for level of concern.

Free download that anyone could test on. So there's no obstacle there.

Be interested to hear what they say, if you so choose.

If confirmed, I would suspect that it would be a feature of the database software used to make CMS. Something Daz could probably shut off it they are made aware. Heck, shutting that off might make CMS a little smaller and faster. But this paragraph is a "supposition" on my part.

I don't recall the name of the database software used to write CMS. But I think Richard knows, or could find out. That software, as I recall, is capable of lan or internet access, if that feature is desired by the customer (Daz, in this case).

IanzThingz ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 4:48 AM

Quote - I know the following statement is fact,  because my dog told me.

Apparently for years now Daz have been tirelessly working towards destroying their own website infrastructure in an effort to lose infinite amounts of cash, credibility and the respect loyal Daz customers. The Daz hierarchy have reportedly been conspiring to inject viruses and malware into all their exe.files in a concentrated effort to attain customer’s personal data which they could then programme into a purpose built mainframe computer. This information would allow them to pinpoint each members domicile and using their latest technology, a “laser guided memory extraction JavaScript tabulator”, would give them full mind control of around one million people.

For years, governments agents from around the world have been monitoring the Daz situation, but until recently never found any conclusive evidence of wrongdoing.

However, in an Animal Research Laboratory located somewhere in South Wales an undercover agent discovered that sheep were being implanted with a sinister zip.file virus.  Yet, again another Daz master plan!!  It has been reported that as soon as one of these sheep came into contact with a Daz member the virus would activate automatically and infected spores would be released into the air via the sheep’s backside. The victims would then unknowingly inhale the spores and thus become infected themselves. Victims are completely oblivious to the fact they carry the virus, It only becomes transparent that something is seriously wrong when they try to start-up Daz software……..It crashes, content goes missing and plug-ins will not work, etc, etc.  The after effects of the virus are even more terrifying, victims have been known to enter forums and randomly denounce Daz as being incompetent and uncaring……..all, just as the Daz3D company had planned!

I also have solid proof that a large rocket ship [built by Daz3D] will be launched from somewhere in Utah and its destination will be Mars. They intend to colonize the planets spreading chaos and devastation in their wake!!!

LOL!! Best post of the day, thank you so much :)

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 5:15 AM

kylumi said  > Quote - snipped

You forgot to mention that they had taken some of those flatulent Welsh Valley sheep with them for company.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

dyret ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 5:19 AM

Done with DAZ? I've done a lot with DAZ over the years! I really want to thank them a lot for GIVING me an extra hobby!

brodiss ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 5:27 AM

How did your dog find that out? Simply amazing! Though I think he/she should check the reliability of his/her source as my cat informed me that it was cattle, not sheep, being used as the virus carrier.

This is why Daz has never released a Millenium Cow - they don't want to be too obvious in their plans to conquer the universe.

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 5:29 AM

@kylumi:

My dog says he knows your dog, and that your dog lies like a...well, a dog. :D

Seriously though, very funny writing.

Made MY day also.

John

BTW, since I'm fairly new to the D/S Forum, I'd like to say that I'm having a ball with my free D/S 4 (and still free, when the Daz site is up) which includes Genesis for free including "auto-fit".

I like free. :)

And I'm usually on the Bryce Forum, but this one seems nice, too. Looking forward to getting helpful hints here. Hope you don't hate D/S noobs.

John (again)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Skiriki ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 5:45 AM

Could someone PLEASE tell me what are these malware infected .exe bundles, so I can grab them for a thorough testing.

I will be more than happy to put my IT expertise into test, seeing how I got only meager 20 years of it (as opposed to glorious 30, but no worries, I'm good pals with people who have that 30 years under their belt), and see what's going on and do packet analysis and stuff like that.

I can't test anything if people are unwilling to divulge the names of the packages involved; I don't need to get the packages from y'guys, I only need the names of the suspicious packages. Date of download and purchase would also help to pinpoint things. I'm in no way affiliated with DAZ beyond customer relationship, but I'm also bored to tears and this sounds like an excellent nut for me to crack while I await for graphics-based inspiration to come. I only got time to kill while unemployed, but I prefer to hone my IT skills.

Otherwise I'm forced to agree with others that this is a whole lot of speculation over nothing. 

Package names, please. *Give me something to do. *

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:01 AM

Quote - kylumi said  > Quote - snipped

You forgot to mention that they had taken some of those flatulent Welsh Valley sheep with them for company.

Hey Cho,

Funnily enough I showed your post to my dog and he told me that your dead right. Daz are taking sheep with them. My dog is now very concerened with how you came by this information and thinks you may have direct inside information.

He fears for your safety.....DAZ [DISRUPTION, ANTAGONISM and ZAP] agents are everywhere!.....keep your eyes open and stay safe!!!

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:03 AM

Jazzmin, DAZ installers have never had a phone-home feature. Some, of the vintage you quote, used bad path formatting - they used actual spaces, instead of %20, if theer were any in the path to the readme and if you used a browser other than IE as your default it would have treated the result as multiple separate URLs. So if the folder you installed to was something like "C:3D dataPoser Downloads" you might well get the results you cite - but that would have been a consequence of the folder names in the install path, not URLs in the installer itself nor anything that DAZ planned.

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:08 AM

Quote - > Quote - I know the following statement is fact,  because my dog told me.

How did your dog find that out? Simply amazing! Though I think he/she should check the reliability of his/her source as my cat informed me that it was cattle, not sheep, being used as the virus carrier.

This is why Daz has never released a Millenium Cow - they don't want to be too obvious in their plans to conquer the universe.

By hells teeth and canine poo!...................thats supposed to be classified information, my friend.  Your cat knows far to much for its own good. You will have to make sure you can make "safe-house" arrangements.

DAZ [DISRUPTION, ANTAGONISM and ZAP] agents are everywhere. The Millenium Cow is part of their final phase to ensure mayhem on a global scale!!

Skiriki ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:26 AM

FYI, my request was not flippantly made; my IT mentor is pals with F-Secure lab, and I can call in favors, if it comes down to that. Considering that F-Secure was not afraid of revealing German government spyware's hairy details and giving statements about how friggin' stupid they were, I do dare say that they would not hesitate to reveal whatever might be hidden inside this stuff, if there's any to be found.

So, please. Tell me what packages were giving warnings and I'll start poking. Otherwise it is gonna be a new round of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic season 2 or watching Mythbusters from season 1 and I'm not sure if my brain can take it. 

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:26 AM

Quote - @kylumi:

My dog says he knows your dog, and that your dog lies like a...well, a dog. :D

Seriously though, very funny writing.

Made MY day also.

John

BTW, since I'm fairly new to the D/S Forum, I'd like to say that I'm having a ball with my free D/S 4 (and still free, when the Daz site is up) which includes Genesis for free including "auto-fit".

I like free. :)

And I'm usually on the Bryce Forum, but this one seems nice, too. Looking forward to getting helpful hints here. Hope you don't hate D/S noobs.

John (again)

My dog tells me that he probably does know your dog from his University days.....he went to Cambridge, which University did your dog attend?

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:27 AM

Quote - > Quote - kylumi said  > Quote - snipped

Hey Cho,

Funnily enough I showed your post to my dog and he told me that your dead right. Daz are taking sheep with them. My dog is now very concerened with how you came by this information and thinks you may have direct inside information.

He fears for your safety.....DAZ [DISRUPTION, ANTAGONISM and ZAP] agents are everywhere!.....keep your eyes open and stay safe!!!

My catlings  told me they were talking to the cat over the road, who had heard it from the dog next door, and he said he had it from the horses which his owner has running on the hill and they said they heard it when they managed to excape form their enclosure and went to investigate another place where the grass appeared to be greener and there were people walking around with strange things in their hands which they were swinging about.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:33 AM

Quote - Done with DAZ? I've done a lot with DAZ over the years! I really want to thank them a lot for GIVING me an extra hobby!

My dog is very like-minded he tells me "it is the way of the artist".

Funnily enough he also tells me that many Daz members pose as artists but in actual fact they are political activists....however, even I find that hard to believe! :blink:

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:39 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:43 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - chohole said  > Quote - snipped

My catlings  told me they were talking to the cat over the road, who had heard it from the dog next door, and he said he had it from the horses which his owner has running on the hill and they said they heard it when they managed to excape form their enclosure and went to investigate another place where the grass appeared to be greener and there were people walking around with strange things in their hands which they were swinging about.

Thats very strange...............my dog took me to exactly the same place last week-end!! :ohmy:

3anson ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 6:58 AM

i don't need to have any findings 'verified' by anyone else, i SAW exactly what the CMS was doing as it started up.

don't farking care if you don't believe my post. thats your prerogative.

i did not 'assert' anything, i saw it happening onscreen.

if you want it verified, get off your arse and get a debugger to run the code for you.

krsears ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:16 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:17 AM

Quote - i don't need to have any findings 'verified' by anyone else, i SAW exactly what the CMS was doing as it started up.

don't farking care if you don't believe my post. thats your prerogative.

i did not 'assert' anything, i saw it happening onscreen.

if you want it verified, get off your arse and get a debugger to run the code for you.

You need to learn a lot, about a lot.  First and foremost is how to use a hexeditor to read what an exe is actually doing.  Or in this case a .dll.  But your screen didn't tell you that did it?  Do you even know which dlls are responsible for communicating with the CMS?  Under 4.5 that part is easy to determine, even without a hexeditor.

Unless your environment has 'localhost' redirected to an address other than 127.0.0.1 the CMS does NOT ping anything outside of your machine.  I have a CMS modified to actually work with a network centalized ValentinaDB, and my 30+ years of professional IT experience tells me that I have to manually patch the necessary bits in order to get the CMS to go anywhere but localhost.  I have been doing this since the 4.0 beta.

Kendall

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:23 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:26 AM

Kylumi said

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - chohole said  > Quote - snipped

Thats very strange...............my dog took me to exactly the same place last week-end!! :ohmy:

Ahah, we could be getting closer to the source of the infiltrations. Now all we need to know is who are members of M**l.......umm..........that establishment and we will find the sleeper who has been releasing classified information.

Fear not low ranking Disruption,Antagonism and Zap agents are on the trail of the traitor. :unsure:

3anson ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:27 AM

Kendall, don't judge others by your own failings, matey. my friend has worked in software development for over 30 years, he was on the teams that wrote the software for military flight simulators, including the Seaking , the Merlin, and several fixed wing combat aircraft. he now works in research and development division of British Aerospace, and all i have seen of 'your'  expertise is a little website that hasn't been updated for years.

btw, i don't need to 'learn' anything about coding or debugging software, i have friends who are experts in their fields, and earn a nice salary doing the job they love.

they are not half-arsed 1 man bands.  :))

gate ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:29 AM

rsquo;s backside. The victims would then unknowingly inhale the spores and thus become infected themselves. Victims are completely oblivious to the fact they carry the virus, It only becomes transparent that something is seriously wrong when they try to start-up Daz software =========================================================== 

Boooy I think you need serious Help ..... or start to write Storry Books . this happens when sombody looses sence of reality spending to much time in virtuality. if this is your way or interpration of what you read in this thread , then your sence of understanding is pretty screwed up , and dont bring the excuse that it is a cause of google translator cos you dont speek english.

But also a good way to hide the trouth by misleading the things with ridicoulous arguments.

I think as long the Installers install the stuff it does not matter if somone gets information , they do this all over anyway , you already registrated by only visiting a site ( what do they wanna do with all these infos over the world anyway ) seem that people that spend to much time on a computer gets slightly Paranoid. 

BTW:

the issue with opening different Pages on the DAZ intallers ... Round Type with Z Logo also happen to me. what was mentioned erlier from the user did not seem to be an accusement but rather a discovery ... well the computer does not seem to have taken  any damadge :-) 

Ian Porter ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:39 AM

Quote - Kendall, don't judge others by your own failings, matey. my friend has worked in software development for over 30 years, he was on the teams that wrote the software for military flight simulators, including the Seaking , the Merlin, and several fixed wing combat aircraft. he now works in research and development division of British Aerospace, and all i have seen of 'your'  expertise is a little website that hasn't been updated for years.

btw, i don't need to 'learn' anything about coding or debugging software, i have friends who are experts in their fields, and earn a nice salary doing the job they love.

Your history of DAZ bashing on this site means that you lost all credibility a long time ago. So stick it.....

dyret ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:56 AM

The Bryster lives in Wales. I suspect his sheep might be up to no good.

dyret ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 7:57 AM

Sorry didn't mean to take a sheep shot at him.

TJaiman ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:00 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:05 AM

Quote - i don't need to have any findings 'verified' by anyone else, i SAW exactly what the CMS was doing as it started up. don't farking care if you don't believe my post. thats your prerogative.

My presumption was that you were telling us this, out of regard for the forum's members. So I suggested that you might wish to prevail upon your friend to report it to the security experts who can give their findings to the public. (Such as us fellow consumers who you are posting to).

Quote - i did not 'assert' anything, i saw it happening onscreen. if you want it verified, get off your arse and get a debugger to run the code for you.

I gather that you took offence to an inoffensive word, "assertion", even after I assured you no offence was offered. I'm sorry to hear it, if that is what happened. I don't mean for formal language to invite offence.

You've told us you saw something.

I've expressed neither belief nor disbelief. Purely objective.

But since none of us witnessed you witnessing that, it's just something someone said once, to the readers at large. Might inspire fear in some, skepticism in others. (I've not expressed my reaction).

If this were to come from known security experts, there would be considerably more certainty, on the parts of more people.

But do as you wish. I merely made suggestions.

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:04 AM

Quote - Sorry didn't mean to take a sheep shot at him.

Is that a sheepish look I see you giving him.

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:12 AM

Quote - Kendall, don't judge others by your own failings, matey. my friend has worked in software development for over 30 years, he was on the teams that wrote the software for military flight simulators, including the Seaking , the Merlin, and several fixed wing combat aircraft. he now works in research and development division of British Aerospace, and all i have seen of 'your'  expertise is a little website that hasn't been updated for years.

My dog is an expert in his field, too.

also,

I once had a friend who was an expert in bomb demolition....he was a recognized authority on land-mines and incenderies.  He had his right arm blown whilst defusing one of them.

Ian Porter ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:23 AM

I own about 50 sheep, but they are only about 10 mm high and made of plastic, so I am hoping they don't pose a significant threat.

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:26 AM

Quote - > Quote - I know the following statement is fact,  because my dog told me.

rsquo;s backside. The victims would then unknowingly inhale the spores and thus become infected themselves. Victims are completely oblivious to the fact they carry the virus, It only becomes transparent that something is seriously wrong when they try to start-up Daz software =========================================================== 

Boooy I think you need serious Help ..... or start to write Storry Books . this happens when sombody looses sence of reality spending to much time in virtuality. if this is your way or interpration of what you read in this thread , then your sence of understanding is pretty screwed up , and dont bring the excuse that it is a cause of google translator cos you dont speek english.

But also a good way to hide the trouth by misleading the things with ridicoulous arguments.

I think as long the Installers install the stuff it does not matter if somone gets information , they do this all over anyway , you already registrated by only visiting a site ( what do they wanna do with all these infos over the world anyway ) seem that people that spend to much time on a computer gets slightly Paranoid. 

BTW:

the issue with opening different Pages on the DAZ intallers ... Round Type with Z Logo also happen to me. what was mentioned erlier from the user did not seem to be an accusement but rather a discovery ... well the computer does not seem to have taken  any damadge :-) 

My dog thinks you are kind of amusing because of your inability to spell everyday words.  Me personally, I think you are one of those anarchist type of chaps that had a sense of humour bypass back in the 60's.

But, never fear we do not bear any grudges. We are all to busy with the more important things in life.....seeking and destroying, Disruption Antagonism & Zap agents.....who, I believe are feeding off of this thread. :thumbupboth:

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:28 AM

Quote - I own about 50 sheep, but they are only about 10 mm high and made of plastic, so I am hoping they don't pose a significant threat.

Britains comes to mind.....most excellent!!!......please tell me they are Britains! 🆒

TJaiman ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:38 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 8:41 AM

@kylumi, and the other paticipating satarists, LOL!

Myself, I'll never divulge what I know... Oooooh, I bet that gives me some status, too. :)

Oops, I think I may've finally hinted at a non-objective reaction to all this. Drat.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.