Fri, Oct 4, 5:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: I think...

_dodger ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 6:51 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 5:26 PM

I think Poser 4 is a good program, overall, and I like using it. It has it's little bugs, like having to click in the file selection box before you can use a space in a Morph Target's name, and like the occassional weirdness when the 'New File' command leaves you with a blank program try and you have to select 'New File' again, or like having to click two or even three times on 'are you sure you want to delete the current object' dialogues. Overall, though, it's a nice program and I enjoy using it, and I can make some pretty good programs with it. I think MetaCreations did a very good job. Now, I want to see how long it takes before someone decides they have to attack me and tell me why I'm wrong, and what they will base it on. This place has heaps of bipolar people.

Bladesmith ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 7:31 PM

or like having to click two or even three times on 'are you sure you want to delete the current object' I thought it was just me...just make damn sure you have the right thing picked when you go to delete, the undo funtion ain't all its cracked up to be....

Kendra ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 8:04 PM

"Now, I want to see how long it takes before someone decides they have to attack me and tell me why I'm wrong, and what they will base it on. This place has heaps of bipolar people."

Why was this necessary? Sounds like you're fishing for something.

...... Kendra

xenic101 ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 9:50 PM

Does the way it took over my hard drive and free time count as "little bugs".

Kendra, don't know where your quote came from but it seems to me, judging from the number of members on this site right now (1114), and the amount of activity in the forum, freestuff and galleries, not to mention the other sites, that there are a lot of people who enjoy using Poser. Dodger was probably just sitting there staing at his screen when it occured to him how really impressively cool Poser is.

Most people who speak up do so to complain. Thats human nature. It takes real guts and maturinty to acknowledge appreciation for something or someone.

Next time someone gets annoyed cause they had to click 'Yes' 2 or 3 times, lets switch computers. I'm on a 300Mhz 62 Mb Ram with just under a gig on the hard drive(I had to delete almost all my 'I'll get back to that later WIP data files' cause I couldn't get bryce to import Posette -out of memory error), running W98. Need some humbling - try waiting a minute or so every time you move the camera for the display to come out of box-tracking mode.

And yet, I'd say that about 90something % of the time I'm home, I'm on the computer. Of that time 2 outa 3 minutes are spent on a project using Poser. Why?

I think Poser 4 is a good program, overall, and I like using it.

Flak ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 10:00 PM

xenic101 - highlight/select the area underneath _dodgers visible paragraphs.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

xenic101 ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 10:13 PM

Oh. Is that a 'secret' thing? How'd you know to do that? Is someone passing notes in class? I still stand by my response. And the other part too! Never mind, I've stayed out of these threads so far didn't mean to trip into what may become one. I'll just go back to ignoring that which offends me - its easier than bitching. Opps, sorry bout the language. {missed the delete key hit enter instead}

Kendra ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 10:31 PM

I love poser. I agree, it's a great program even without the version 5 additions. I think Metacreations did a good job too. I didn't understand the post though, the praise followed by a dig of some sort. I customize the colors of this site to shades of grey and saw the comment right away. Just curious about it is all. :)

...... Kendra

Kendra ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 10:45 PM

"Oh. Is that a 'secret' thing? How'd you know to do that? Is someone passing notes in class?"

:) Yep. Here's one....

....what did I just say? :)

...... Kendra

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 11:00 PM

I think Poser 4 is a good program, overall, and I like using it Ditto.

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 11:42 PM

Trust me. Being one of the insiders ain't all its cracked up to be :P

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 12:05 AM

I just got my life threatened by three teenage thugs in my neighborhood. Their second choice, if they can't get to me, is to dissect my dog. The police say they can't do anything because they are probably just all talk and kids will be kids and they haven't done anything....yet. You know how insigificant the insider jokes seem to me right now? I like Poser 4 and I even like Poser 5. They help me escape for a little while from a world that's looking pretty hideous these days. So I'd rather not know about the insider stuff. I don't want to fool with the clones. I'd just like to play with my graphics and wake up in one piece tomorrow morning. That's all. And if I sound like I'm whining, I sure do apologize to all the rough and tough guys on this forum who think that the victims of bullies deserve what they get. Because all I have to do is yell "boo" at these gangsters, right? And I'll remember I'm the one responsibile for not being able to sleep tonight. Hope you all do have a good rest. Play your games. It just doesn't matter to me anymore.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 4:28 AM

Kendra L Here's what you said: "Dodger, if you REALLY want to hide something, this is the way to do it. :)" GG neat.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 4:32 AM

Geez Dialyn..... And of course you're not the guilty part in this. Those who claims otherwise are lucky ignorants. I am quite aware of what discussion you are referring to, and I do not agree to the point where it's the victim's own fault. As if anybody chooses to be a victim! Poo! I hope that both you and your dog will be safe from those %#"%%. bleagh... nasty world outside :o( But I guess it's my fault?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 8:27 AM

Not your fault. No one's fault that's here. Except mine, of course, for living in a bad neighborhood and not having enough money to move out, and leave it to the monsters. It just put everything in perspective for me last night. Guess the forums reflect the real world...the good, the bad, and the ugly...but it's too bad that people that theoretically share a commmon interest in a creative outlet / hobby / whatever you want to call it can't be kinder to each other. Oh well. My optimism is quickly being killed.

Jackson ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 8:48 AM

Dialyn: I'm sorry about your problem. Unfortunately, the police used to be able to do something about thugs like those. Now they can't and the creeps know it, so it's open season on innocents. That's progress, I guess.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 9:38 AM

The best part is the gang unit doesn't investigate our area because we aren't as bad as another section of town. Just wait. We'll get there. But it would make a good graphic....my neighbor and I are both under 5'2" tall and here we are facing off three 6 foot hulks at twilight. Oh, yeah, I had my two dogs with me....both under 20 pounds and neither one of them pit bull types. Stupidity on our part not to run inside our houses and hide, but they made us mad and we just got determined not to move until they left the area. They'll be back when we're not here to protect our property...bullies are always cowards. So our victory (such as it was) is a hollow one. But it probably made an interesting picture....especially since the men in the immediate neighborhood were watching from behind screen doors. Thank them for letting me know Sir Galahad is dead. So there is a graphic possiblity. Not as interesting as a Vicky in the temple, but might make for an art noir kind of thing. But I won't be the one to do it. I'm tired of trying. So that's progress? I was wondering what that was.

JohnRender ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 9:59 AM

I agree with xenic101- I think Poser 4 is a good program, overall, and I love using it. Sure, it has its little quirks, but it is worlds better than the buggy P5! And to everyone who's trying to post hidden words in the threads- it doesn't seem to be working. No text is appearing when I "highlight" the message. Or are you trying to set the text color to black so that it is the same color as the background? Some us don't have a black background, so that trick won't work. Or it is some kind of JavaScript thing? And thought people were being clique-y by posting messages on each other's images. Now, they can pass secret messages to each other in the forums. Let's see... how else can we keep "other" people out?

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 10:41 AM

I think people are making mountains out of a molehill.

Dialyn, I hope things work out for you and you can get the police involved. But I'm not sure why you're so upset at this thread or why that relates to this particular thread. Dodger posted a message in a message for reasons he hasn't come back and said, I saw it and saw what he was doing and couldn't resist calling him on it :). Then posted a way to really hide a message knowing someone would figure it out and ernyoka1 did. A simple html comment tag you have to view the source to see. Nothing malicious at all, she quoted it back to me exactly.

There is no conspiracy (that I'm aware of anyway) to "keep other people out" I've never posted hidden comments before showing Dodger a better to way to really hide something so put away your cloak and daggers people. :)

...... Kendra

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 10:49 AM

Kendra, it doesn't relate...except that it seems like everything lately people have taken to flaming the most innocuous remark on the forums, and it doesn't make any sense to me when there are real life situations that we have to deal with. The stuff here is supposed to be fun, I thought. And I guess it was the fact that have my little adventure put into perspective for me how sad the forums have become because things are bloated to epic proportions that are really not important at all. It was that last line of Dodger's message that set it off. Why do we have to be embarressed or apologetic about enjoying the use of Poser 4 and/or 5 in our graphics? Why do we have to endure being made fun of because we enjoy our hobby? It's so unimportant compared to what's really going on in the world. It seems to me as if here should be the one place where we could find some acceptance because theoretically we have a commong interest. That's all. I won't post anymore on this. I'm still upset and it's hard for me to communicate clearly when I'm feeling so emotional. I apologize for taking up your time.

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 11:28 AM

You're not taking up time. You should feel able to post about things that are going on with you. I just didn't understand the connection is all.

...... Kendra

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 11:29 AM

Kendra: I didn't feel like burying it all the way in a comment, is all. I could have uuencoded it and posted it that way, too, or something, so it was totally obscured and you'd need to run a decoding program on it. I could have even used Rot-13. The black text was more of like how, in comic books, a character will say something in a word bubble, followed by a thought bubble completing the thought. Or in a book, how the author will, say, 'have a character say something,' and then follow it up with things they're thinking. But Kendra, this is the important part... There was a Hidden Agenda. An Evil Conspiracy, even. And you are the winner of my latest contest -- Dodger's Amazing November Victimisation Contest! Yup, you jumped in questioning why I'd said that obfuscated bit, then got jumped on by other people for doing it. You got put on the defence for no good reason except for people being ornery. I'll IM you about it, too, to make sure you know. Go into my RPM store and pick something, and you get it free. I'll set it up for your private download form my server. B^)

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 11:35 AM

It wasn't hidden to all of us. My settings are black lettering on yellow. The secret message was no secret at all. No wonder some of us were confused. But that's a permanent condition for me these days. Thank you, Kendra. It was a topic I should have never brought up. It was just an unnerving experience and it sometimes is hard to keep reality out of postings. I'm going away for the weekend. Have a great one, everyone.

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 12:12 PM

Lol, Dodger, you don't have to do that. I certainly understood why you made the comment (you and Dialyn are right, there is a lot of flaming going on lately for petty stuff), I just happened to comment on it first. I didn't feel jumped on. :)

Dialyn, have a good weekend and I hope you have someone watching your place while you're gone.

...... Kendra

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 12:53 PM

I'm still waiting for the runner-up, who qualifies in a totally different way... B^)

jobcontrol ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 2:55 PM

I'm a member of a, well, informal talking group of people called "The Sandbox". We have the following motto: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ We, the Sandbox members, hereby declare to: - always give the benefit of the doubt, - never to assume worse than is written, - always make clear when we feel offended, - base our relationship on trust. - circa 3/25/97 The Sandbox Members ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ As you can see, the group did that more than 5 years back - and it is still running well. Just a thought: Couldn't we in this forum adopt a motto like this? Willy

jobcontrol ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 3:00 PM

Oh, I forgot, the members of The Sandbox are from countries like: USA, UK, The Netherlands, Canada, Germany (like myself), even California :) We are different in profession, faith and style of living, some are married, some are single, we are men and women, black and white. Our common interest is living a life - and sharing it. Ok, now ;-) Willy

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 3:11 PM

I like it. Though I think it should apply to all forums, and I have a few recommended additions: - people should allowed to dislike something, and to state so, without fear of becoming the victim of some sort of Jihad (thus, it would be okay to say 'I don't like such-and-such model,' or 'such-and-such site has some bugs' or 'I don't like NVIT pics' or 'I think it's silly how many people only click on nudity images', without fear of someone rabidly attacking them for it). However, where possible, they should also state what should or could be fixed or improved. Doesn't mean they have to know how to do it themselves, just that they are dissatisfied with something and a recommendation on what would make it better. I think this is the best way for things to be improved, in general. - People should not engage in 'my $^%& is bigger than yours' contests in public (except if it's a joke -- that's a whole different story). These two concepts, in general, would restrict the phrase 'let's see you do better' from ever being uttered. A phrase that inevitably leads to an example followed up by a 'well, that's not better' and idiotic rubbish like that. I'm not saying that any such things should ever be actively disallowed -- they should just be a general guideline of person to person etiquette. A simpler version might even be 'talk to people like you would talk to your cab driver.' That means if the person seems a little off or crazy, it might just be a good idea not to go provoking them.

Bladesmith ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 3:12 PM

This has been one of the strangest threads I recall seeing....

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 3:23 PM

Bladesmith, the only thing I have to say to that is this: Orange Roughy whistling softly in the Moonlight.

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 3:30 PM

"are from countries like:
USA, UK, The Netherlands, Canada, Germany (like myself), even California :)"

We do sometimes seem like a country unto ourselves. (california) :) (can I be Queen?)

...... Kendra

jobcontrol ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 4:16 PM

Why not, I'll come to your crowning :^) Will there be enuf free beer?

jobcontrol ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 4:23 PM

Well, life is like Poser - sometimes weird, sometimes just loveable. I for my part will enjoy it. Maybe even more with the latest (non-beta-)patch (I had NO BSOD at all and only one three-finger-salute, since the beginning, through all those betas, go figure). I'd like to learn from all y'all, as I'm not that great an artist :) in fact, I'm a rather non-creative guy. But I enjoyed the threads in here since two months ago. Willy

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 5:17 PM

'We do sometimes seem like a country unto ourselves. (california)' You guys used to be, just like Texas, right? If I'm not mistaken, anyway, you were a Spanish colony, seperate from Mexico. Besides, it's the only US state with border guards at the entry points from other states. Look out, I think I saw a fruit fly behind you! B^)

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 5:19 PM

"Why not, I'll come to your crowning :^"

Heh, I'm sure there'll be a long line. ;)

"Will there be enuf free beer?"

Domestic beers will be banned after my coronation only Guiness will be allowed and Scotch will become the national drink. (only single malt and nothing younger than 12 years)
The new flag colors will be green and gold and a contest for the design will be held soon right here at Renderosity. Speaking of which, Renderosity will be the required home page for all Internet providers and Yahoo will be abolished.

(this is what happen's when you're stuck working for 11 hours and there are no customers)

...... Kendra

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 5:23 PM

"Look out, I think I saw a fruit fly behind you! B^) "

Thats ok, the West Nile Mosquitos will get him.

...... Kendra

SWAMP ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 7:07 PM

.....this sublimnal stuff is freaking me out....and the cardboard cutout 3D glasses I'm useing to read this thread has given me a bad headache...

jobcontrol ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 7:34 PM

Giving threads a good twisting is fun, isn't it? :-) Uh, Kendra, what about the virgins? Lots of them in your temple, wielding swords?

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 7:51 PM

"Uh, Kendra, what about the virgins? Lots of them in your temple, wielding swords?"

Sorry guys, but it's my fantasy and I'm afraid there will be no virgins with swords. Only men like Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan and Fabio. Sean in full Highland dress of course, Pierce in Armani and Fabio in a loincloth. And Enya will be in permanent residence as the Palace Entertainment.

(is is closing time yet?!?)

...... Kendra

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 8:43 PM

tisk tisk tisk

A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for women.

~SR
Due to recent cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

SWAMP ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 8:54 PM

...you have no idea how cool that looked wearing these 3D glasses...

xenic101 ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 9:03 PM

Kendra, I'm glad you didn't feel 'jumped on'. I seldom post a response to things when I have something to say because I'm worried about getting jumped, or coming off like I'm jumping someone. That's the major problem keeping me from a promotion at work. Apparently, things I say come off harsher than I mean them, so I have a 'people problem'. Of course the fact that I don't like most of the poeple I've met probably doesn't help ;-) People just always seem ready to fight or flee. 4000 years of civilization and we still depend on the most basic animal instinct for problem solving. Look at dailyn's situation. The thugs want to fight, she doesn't. She doesn't want to flee either, she's exploring other options. For the most part this community is very open and helpful, but here and everywhere, the loudest person is easiest to hear. Put me on the invit list to the corination, I'll bring the {can't think of anything- oh well}

xenic101 ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 9:10 PM

I'm supposed to be paying bills right now.
Ok, that was silly of me. I'm sorry.

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2002 at 9:48 PM

'A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.' Yes, Mr. Long? 'Put me on the invit list to the corination, I'll bring the {can't think of anything- oh well}' You bring the dip, I'll bring the Dostoyevski.

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2002 at 12:54 AM

LOL Touchfellas tips hat

~SR
" Due to recent cutbacks,the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

orangeparty ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2002 at 1:41 AM

please turn the light back on... i'm trying to read. thank you, the management

jobcontrol ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2002 at 8:14 AM

This turns out to become by far the best thread of the week :) Cheers, folks!

xenic101 ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2002 at 8:57 PM

It occured to me at work today, aren't corinations a cathothic thing? Couldn't we have a non-denomiational crowning ceremony. Do I bring cheese dip, veggie dip, chip dip? I think we blew a fuse playing with the lights. No idea what 'conn' means but I could probably build/pilot a ship. With my last kid (the third) I think I changed three diapers before we got him potty trained. Other than that I think I got the list covered. Sacred Rose - watch this... {tips hat right off head, does that cool thing where the hat tumble down my arm then flips it back onto my head.} SWAMP - you can take off the 3-D glasses, to read this thread properly you need to stare at it in a mirror untill you go cross-eyed. I Like Poser 4.

Kendra ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 12:54 AM

*"I'm supposed to be paying bills right now."

I now have a headache. :)*

...... Kendra

_dodger ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 1:32 AM

file_34657.jpg

'Conn' a ship means to pilot it, basically. It's from a mid-late 21st century slang abbreviation for 'console', and means 'take the console'. It should come into common use in about sixty years, but will be part of starpilot jargon in the next forty, soon after th development of jumpdrives. Coronations Catholic? The Queen of England might be distressed by that, as would the King of Saudi Arabia. I think some sort of Russian dip is in order, to go with Dostoyevski, Buster. (As in 'Keaton' -- or should I just say 'Sam'?) I like Poser 4. Though I wish it had proper omnidirectional lights right now (referencing my product-in-development and related threads to it in the Poduct Showcase forum, such as 'Aether'). 14 spotlights to fake one is -- tedious.

xenic101 ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 12:07 PM

Got it 'conn' makes perfect sense now. I'm blaming popular culture for leaving me thinking that coronations are catholic and missing conn. Lights are the main reason I import my poser stuff to bryce for rendering. Can't handle the learning curve right now, and I've been using bryce longer. I've learned more about using bryce since I got poser though. That candle is just plain cool. I can't wait for your 'light effects?' pak to be available. I saw an ad for it when I got the ulimate lightsaber collection but now I can't find it.(the ad) Well, I have to go pose a Fully-Clothed Posette, model a hallway in the Jedi Temple, and put up the Christmas tree. Wait, I dl'd a tree not to long ago. Hey, honey...

Hiram ( ) posted Mon, 09 December 2002 at 2:53 PM

Just for the record: "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988) Time Enough for Love, 1973 con or conn (kon) Nautical tr.v. conned, conning, cons or conns To direct the steering or course of (a vessel). n. The station or post of the person who steers a vessel. The act or process of steering a vessel. [From cond, from Middle English conduen, from Old French conduire, from Latin condcere, to lead together. See conduce.]

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.