Mon, Sep 9, 8:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: to anyone who has bought the Renda character

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:18 PM

Quote - She is lumpy...her arms look like huge bags of cellulite flopping around...there are bumps & bulges all over the darn place

You might try taking your nose out of those mags that air brush their models and have a look at a REAL woman. REAL women aren't perfect, and neither are those models you see outside their photoshoots. What appeals to me about Renda is the fact that her body is REALISTIC, and the waist isn't a ratio of 1/16th of her hip/chest area.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

kayjay97 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:20 PM

Point taken BH. I bought her because am going to pick up your morph set. I haven't yet as I am curious about clothes for Renda

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

Lyric_ ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:23 PM

She's Realistic? I dunno my thighs don't break when I bend em :p

I closed my eyes and saw heaven, I opened them and the face before me was heaven on earth

dlk30341 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:27 PM

@Acadia.......I was referring to the bulges in the mesh. I prefer "real world" women, as I have cellulite all over at this point being age 45. So that is NOT my issue. I buy every older/unusual set that come out..that goes for men & women. So my nose is not up in the air, thank you very much. I prefer my older/more normal looking ladies to be achieved thru morphing/mags & textures I choose to puchase. Bottom line...the mesh was not ready for prime time IMHO and obviously many agree. But of course that's my opinion, you free to have yours. I have tried to remain somewhat positive. Please take the time to read ALL my posts before thrashing away. Thank You :)

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:30 PM

Quote - She's Realistic? I dunno my thighs don't break when I bend em :p

I'm referring from a purely visual sense, not how she bends.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:34 PM

Another note...damn site has come to crawl for me, sorry for posting 2x....that said...I've yet to call her a piece of crap...which I would never do....no one is perfect for cripes sake...that said as others have stated..this went to market too soon... Now I'm going to carry my 150lbs cellulite covered ass outside to breathe some fresh air & enjoy the nature that surrounds my home :)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:46 PM

Am hoping somone will create a character that looks more like someone you might bump into on the street instead of on a catwalk.

You can do this by morphing other characters.

As for creating a "non-catwalk" female base model -- I wouldn't advise it. Dina sort of fell into that category, and she didn't exactly turn out to be a Victoria killer. Dina had other problems, too -- but one of the main strikes against her selling well came from her looks -- or rather from the lack thereof.

If someone wants to try creating a "plain-looking" base model, then they are certainly welcome to do so. But I wouldn't be looking to invest in their stock certificates.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:51 PM

@ Spanki and Blackhearted -- FANTASTIC looking characters. Both of them.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Eternl_Knight ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:57 PM

Several points to make considering it looks like the PR machine has started to kick in. First, it is amazing how similar in overall shape Renda is to V3. I am not doubting that the mesh is one-hundred percent original in it's "topology" (as that is easy to check), but the fact that they are almost exactly the same size & shape would seem less than coincidental. But then again - I am a cynic. Next there is the fact that Rendo (or RPublishing, whatever you want to "officially" call yourself) knew about the problems before they released it. Does anyone honestly think that had another merchant submitted Renda for testing that it would have passed? Either answer is bad - if you think it would have passed, it shows a very bad level of acceptable quality, and if you think it wouldn't have passed - that shows hypocrisy on the part of Rendo. I don't care how many people say she isn't THAT bad, the fact remains she is bad and Rendo had a chance to fix it up before release - they chose to rip off people in the short-term. Again this is my personal opinion, but hey that's what art is all about right? Then there is the slightly off-topic claim that the market is dominated by DAZ & CL. Not to be a pain, but given this is about "content" - I would like to know how CL dominates the market? DAZ I'll give you as we all know just how much content has been built for V3/M3 etc, but CL? Please tell me which of their figures has dominated anything since Posette? If you are talking about the software - I have to find that kind of laughable. I mean, it's like saying Norton dominates the "Norton Antivirus" market. I mean, one would expect the maker of Poser to dominate the "Poser software" market in much the same way as the maker of Acrobat will dominate the "Acrobat software" market. I think I must be missing something here. All in all, from what I have seen of the figure from people NOT promoting the hell out of it for their own interest - there has been no image that I could say the JP's worked well in. I have no access to the mesh to comment on the uv's, but they are to me secondary to the rig. One can insert different uv's should it be needed, but supporting clothes depend on the underlying rig. Change that and all clothes need to be changed.

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 6:06 PM

ditto, xeno. sex sells. everything. just look at the music industry, heh. britney spears (and all of her soft r&b mafia clones) cant sing worth a damn, shes degenerated into total white trash and i swear ive seen sheep with more intelligence -- but she still sells albums with her airbrushed ass and overdubbed voice. unfortunately, an unattractive base morph will crippled a model's sales. and by unatttractive i dont necessarily mean stick-thin and supermodel-like (bah), but it has to have some sortof allure. you can have a model thats technically overweight but if she has an attractive shape and some alluring curves she will do well. now im sure some people will say 'but i only buy skin textures with skin disorders' or 'my entire poser library consists of morbidly obese characters' and thus try to refute my statement, but i have news for you: you are a niche market :) when over 90% of poser users want an ideal thats been spoonfed to them since birth by the media, then a merchant trying to make their rent is unfortunately shooting themselves in the foot if they deviate from that ideal very much. that said, there is still a lot that you can do to distinguish your characters while still keeping them visually apppealing, so you dont have to produce a library of anorexic, shapeless cameron-diaz clones to do so.... sex appeal can stem from something as small as the curve of a calf, or a killer navel... but unfortunately the bulk of people dont find a morbidly obese person sexy, and while this isnt 'PC' its not likely to change very soon. cheerio, -gabriel

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 6:21 PM

"Then there is the slightly off-topic claim that the market is dominated by DAZ & CL. Not to be a pain, but given this is about "content" - I would like to know how CL dominates the market? DAZ I'll give you as we all know just how much content has been built for V3/M3 etc, but CL? Please tell me which of their figures has dominated anything since Posette? If you are talking about the software - I have to find that kind of laughable. I mean, it's like saying Norton dominates the "Norton Antivirus" market. I mean, one would expect the maker of Poser to dominate the "Poser software" market in much the same way as the maker of Acrobat will dominate the "Acrobat software" market. I think I must be missing something here." lay off, i am not part of some 'PR machine' - im stating my own opinion just like everyone else here. CL dominates the 'home hobbyist 3D market'. not the landscape market - which has dozens of appps starting from terragen to bryce, vue, worldbuilder, blah blah, but the figure one. name one other piece of softwarre that does for the home hobbyist what poser does (and dont say daz studio, that doesnt even qualify as 'alpha' software, let alone beta). everything else is in the professional market segment and is far out of the reach of the average home user. together, daz and CL dominate the poser market. daz in terms of original figures and its seemingly 'official' appearance, and CL in terms of the software itself. it would only be good for us poser users if they were both unseated - or even if their stranglehold were loosened - since good, healthy competition only benefits the consumer. monopolies are extremely unhealthy. daz discredits and quashes original meshes that would directly compete with their mike and vicky flagship lines both passively and actively - passively by the false consumer perception that they are somehow above us all (as opposed to a bunch of entrepreneurs exactly like the rest of us) and that the rest of us are all second-rate 3rd party developers. actively by quashing products such as sixus1's original figure offering that would directly compete with V3. also, do you think V3 is free by accident? or by some irrational act of selfless generosity on daz's part? hah. now i dont hate daz, nor do i hate CL... but i am not so shortsighted as not to see that both the perceived and actual monopoly they both hold on the Poser software and 'original figure' market is very bad for the poser community. so, i would support renderosity - or any other party with the clout and finances to go toe-to-toe with daz and not get pushed around or swept under the rug or run out of steam - merely on the basis that it promotes growth in the community, and variety. the fact that renda's default shape is so similar to vicky3's, as opposed to something refreshingly different, disappoints me, and so does the fact that it was released with some joint issues, but FFS it just got released today: lets not bury it the same day. cheers, -gabriel

obm890 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 6:28 PM

Reposting this here from a different thread: Just for the heck of it I ran a little test to see exactly(ish) how resource-hungry Renda is compared to V3. (can you tell I'm avoiding work?) Loaded Renda loaded 4000wide head map loaded 4000high body map loaded 4000wide head bump map loaded 4000high body bump map loaded 4000high trans map Hit render button, Renda eats 400 megs of memory before render will begin. Deleted Renda Loaded V3 loaded 4000wide head map loaded 4000high body map loaded 4000wide head bump map loaded 4000high body bump map loaded 1500sq teeth map loaded 600 sq eye map loaded 1300 sq trans map Hit render button, V3 eats 320 megs of memory before render will begin. Who'd a thunk it eh?

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 6:50 PM

Blackhearted your morphs are great but this female is just too expensive. In order to get her to look anything like yours how much would I have to invest? I'll stick with Irina for now and hope you might do something like her for M3. Thanks, Marque

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 6:54 PM

wierd, doesnt make sense - the overall textures (in pixel real estate) more or less are equal. im not disputing your results, but for an accurate 'test' you should restart poser (hell, reboot even) before each set of variables, to keep everything consistent. also it would highly depend on the actual filesize of the 4000x4000 maps as well. i go to lengths to compress my textures (while preserving details) to under a meg, so while my 4096x4096 texture would probably be under a meg, ive seen merchants' 2500x2500 textures weighing in at over 8 megs due to their misguided belief that saving something at 100% quality makes it 'better'. id also like to hear from one of the people who cant load V3 or S3 or M3, and see if they can run Renda. listen, im not disputing she has problems... if you think i was ecstatic to work with her default body you couldnt be more wrong, and im not going to be very happy having to reconstruuct my renda redux CR2 once the updated renda CR2 comes out in a couple of days. what i am saying, however, is that for the sake of the poser marketplace people need to be less harsh on new products like this and actually give them a chance to take off. im not saying tolerate bugs and issues, but give the folks an opportunity to fix them and see how the product turns out. if the problems dont get fixed within a reasonable time, then let them have it. did you really think that just out of the blue a figure would be released that made everyone discard V3 entirely and gape in awe at the sheer awesomeness of it and monumental advances in technology? V3 is pretty damn solid. but, what this does, is open up avenues of competition with her, and a future poser market where the choices are not limited to V5, V5, or V5, but a wide range of characters of or very near her caliber. to be blunt, i am not willing to stake my reputation on Renda 1.0 by defending her to the death or lying and saying 'buy her buy her shes absolutely great and blows V3 away'. i nearly opted out of creating content for her... but in the end i am willing to give her a chance, for the sake of a Renda 2.0 giving V4 a run for her money, and for the chance at a future poser market that doesnt revolve solely around 'Vicky'. cheers, -gabriel

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 6:59 PM

Ok there Renda may well become a stable and fantastic character, but why on earth should anyone buy something that doesn't offer anything beyond what's already about, as V3 seams to be very similar in shape, and the joint issues i can see being a similar problem with Renda as they are with V3. I was hoping to see something New, Different that offered something that was beyond V3, and sadly from what i have seen and heard it looks as though this will not be happening with Renda. Fair enough that some like Renda but you all have to make up your choices... V3 Free or Renda $29 (even when it's fixed) and theres very little difference between them... I think they should have done something with a bit of WOW factor, then maybe there would be a competitor to DAZ's products....

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 7:00 PM

"I'll stick with Irina for now and hope you might do something like her for M3." eep. marque, you want me to make a transvestite? shudder yeah, i had hoped she would be more affordable - a $75 total price tag is not something i expected. perhaps rendo could consider putting her on sale at least during the initial product ironing out phase. it puts me in a hell of a position - i have a mortgage to pay, so i cant just give my morph away for free. if i were rich or independantly wealthy though... :)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 7:11 PM

I don't think you should give your Morph away Blackhearted as your product seams to be the best part of Renda, and as an owner of some of your previous works, i would think it is of the heighest quality as we have come to expect of you. but the figures price (Renda) itself i have to say is the biggest put off with the total being $75... and that puts it out of the reach of a lot of people, especially when they have V3 which is Very similar. I have to say i nearly bought Renda on the strength of Blackhearteds morph, but the Joint issues has put me off. and will there be some Full body morphs for V3 from Blackhearted too?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

butterfly_fish ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 7:11 PM

One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. -River Tam

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 7:14 PM

LOL silly man! No but I would like to see a trim lean M3 in the same fashion that you did for SP3. More of a lean fighter look. Marque tells you to look to the light, yes, you are getting sleepy now, you are independantly wealthy.....heheh O.o Marque

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 7:26 PM

yeah, v3 is next. i figure shes been out for like.. 2 years now, heh, so its time i got around to making something for her even though ive been avoiding it for so long. but first off im going to finish up another outfit or two for Irina though, and since their overall body 'shapes' are similar enough (in terms of things like hips/waist ratio) it will support both Renda Redux/Irina. $75 is pretty high. i think $35-ish is reasonable for the body including morph packs, leaving the customer open to spend another $15-20ish on whichhever texture they want, but im just basing that on my own spending: i spent over $30 on seeing batman begins with rio last night (awesome movie btw), so i see something like that as 'reasonable' for dropping on a hobbyist figure like this. $75 (plus my morph brings it to $90) is a bit out of my range for the whole thing, that almost falls into the range of a software or hardware investment. then again, someone who makes more money than me (which is just about everyone, heh) might consider that small change on a hobby. id also like to thank you - and the others who posted in this thread - for supporting my work, i appreciate it (especially on days like this, ack). cheers, -gabriel

coldrake ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 7:26 PM

What exactly does she do that Vickie or Stephanie can't that would make me want to spend money on another figure, and then even more money on clothing, textures etc? If I'm going to spend all that money on a new figure, it had better offer a LOT more than looking a little different. Coldrake

Jim Burton ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 7:52 PM · edited Wed, 22 June 2005 at 8:03 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.contentparadise.com/user/product.php?productid=11925&cat=432&page=0

file_258619.jpg

" *Of course all my opinion. I'll wait for a more innovative woman to appear before buying another female model....ie a female model by Anton or maybe V3Pro will correct the spagetti arm issue and bowling ball shoulders.* "

I'm speechless!!

Not pictureless, though, and here is an actually unretouhed 85 degree thigh bend (she doesn't have buttock parts).
Maybe not quite speechless, after all- IMHO, she is the best bending Poser figure available. Like Rodney Dangerfeild, she gets no respect. Maybe she doesn't cost enough? ;-)

I wasn't going to put a link in, lest I be accused of being mercenary, but what-the-heck, decide for yourself!

Message edited on: 06/22/2005 20:03

Eternl_Knight ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 8:02 PM

This is in reply to Blackheart's statements. First, you ARE part of a PR machine - whether you accept it or not, you are promoting Renda. You may not intentionally be a part of it, but you are a cog in the machine none-the-less. However my comment in that regard was more directed at the RPublisher comments that tried to "justify" bad jp's. Sorry, but I have seen enough images of Renda in basic poses now to know the jp's are awful. I dislike people justifying their bad workmanship rather than admitting their mistake and moving towards fixing it. Second - the term "home hobbyist 3D market" implies to me more than "posing premade figures". It includes landscapes, it includes low-cost modelling tools, it includes posing premaded figures, etc. Sorry, but while Poser does dominate the "posing premade content" part of the "home hobbyist 3D market" - it by no means even has a share in the other parts of it. I was not comparing Poser to Bryce - I was simply pointing out the fact that given that Renda, V3, etc are all POSER CONTENT - it is kind of hard for Poser not to have the dominant market share of the software it is used in. Just like Bryce would have the dominant market share of the program in which Bryce content is used... Third, I am not debating nor supporting the claims about DAZ. I agree, via a combination of factors they dominate the Poser content market. Personally I think it is currently at the moment due to two things - better marketting and a truckload of momentum. And you know what? Renda ain't going to change that. Releasing something KNOWING FULL WELL the JP's are as bad as they are only serves to strengthen the impression of "DAZ are professionals. The rest have no idea what they're doing". Think about it for a second and you will see that no matter how it is spun - DAZ comes out looking the best. I am not "pro-DAZ" (see my EULA threads) - I am pro-customer (again - see same said threads). And selling Renda at this stage (ESPECIALLY at the price they set her at) is tantamount to robbery as far as I am concerned. I've seen many REAL freebies of much higher quality (V3/M3 are free only in the sense of dollars - the EULA is incredibly restrictive). Last but not least, I would agree with not "burying" the figure were it still in a "beta" format. However this is a "released" figure and sold at a substantially high price (given the quality). When one is making a beta preview of a figure - one expects these kinds of things to come up AND BE FIXED. However, Rendo was informed of the problems and still decided to release it anyway. On that basis - I say bury the figure and the mentality behind it's premature release. I am sick to death of products being released with known faults and then getting a tonne of "service releases" afterward needed to make it useful. I think that we should not stand by and accept that nonsense - regardless of whether it is a new figure, application, or operating system. Oh, and Jim - I love your work. You and Anton are the Poser riggers I look to for inspiration. I see the results you can get and I think "God damn! I want to be that good" ;) EK

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 8:33 PM

"Second - the term "home hobbyist 3D market" implies to me more than "posing premade figures". It includes landscapes, it includes low-cost modelling tools, it includes posing premaded figures, etc. Sorry, but while Poser does dominate the "posing premade content" part of the "home hobbyist 3D market" - it by no means even has a share in the other parts of it. I was not comparing Poser to Bryce - I was simply pointing out the fact that given that Renda, V3, etc are all POSER CONTENT - it is kind of hard for Poser not to have the dominant market share of the software it is used in. Just like Bryce would have the dominant market share of the program in which Bryce content is used..." the home hobbyist 3d market does not, to me, include apps like silo, rhino, zbrush, etc. these are prop apps that are just being used to create poser content, and are nowhere near accessible to the 'hobbyist'. poser is a hobbyist application, and it is the only product of its kind, obviously excluding landscape apps like bryce and such which while used in combination with poser for better rendering quality really arent in the same category at all. so yeah, until another company comes along and creates an application compatible with the thousands of dollars of premade poser content that poser users have invested in, that costs under $250 and does more or less the same thing poser does (but hopefully more, and more stable and resource efficient), CL has a monopoly in this market. its not even really debateable: every single person reading this thread uses poser, and im sure that given the opportunity most would leap at the chance to try something new that still supports their poser content collections, yet there simply is nothing that comes close. something like character studio for max is remotely similar but costs many, many times the amount and is nowhere near as user friendly or easy to pick up. as for the term POSER CONTENT, daz studio (as unfinished as it is) and common sense illustrates that another app should be capable of reading and using poser files - just as max, rhino, c4d, photoshop, etc can open and edit/manipulate files made by competing apps. just wanted to comment on that. as to the rest of the renda stuff, im so tired of sitting here reading all of this (not insulting anyone posting, but my head is starting to hurt from reading hundreds of long posts today). im just going to start working on my next product and let this whole issue play out however it will. ive already staked far too much of my reputation on it already by just beseeching people to give it time and a chance to be fixed before the flaming starts -- and all i really am here is a 3rd party content creator: i just made a morph for the thing, and that sums up my involvement to date. cheers, -gabriel

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 8:41 PM

"..and are nowhere near accessible to the 'hobbyist'" cough ...err, with the exception of silo - which is $100. even so its erroneous to assume that anyone that uses poser can and will just pick up an external app like Silo (even a free one like amapi) and just start creating their own content for it... and even if they did, the functionality of rhino, silo, zbrush, etc does not overlap that of poser. poser is in a pretty unique class, and thats why its gained such a following: it brings cinematic quality 3D home to the average hobbyist and does so in a way that is intuitive (well, at least until P6) and easy to learn. i just keep wondering how much larger the poser market has to become before a serious company steps in and creates a competing application. competition isnt a bad thing - it only yields good results for the consumer, and frankly if there was another company competing for our wallets with CL then we wouldnt have had to put up with half of the crap they put us through with both P5 and P6.

Eternl_Knight ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 9:10 PM

...these are prop apps that are just being used to create poser content This suggests to me that you have a very "poser centric" viewpoint. You want to know why I got involved in Poser? Because it had content I could import into other applications for use there. Poser for me is simply a niche posing application with some animation capability. It's renderer is quite good (if slow) and it has a rigging system that makes it relatively easy to add clothing to base figures once they are modelled. As for "cinematic quality 3D", I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I have seen many great stills straight out of poser, but it's animation capabilities are limited due mostly in my opinion to the rigging style used (though Jim & Anton are slowly convincing me there might be hope in that department).

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 9:22 PM

Very interesting thread. It does point out one thing though: there are new figures on the horizon. Some will be better than others, some will go the old "wait until version 1.1" route. Some will use innovative ideas, while others will be rehashes of existing figures. I think we're at a point in Poserland where a new big push is going to happen. The figures that will survive will be innovative, and have new uses of P6's abilities. They will also have to give more value than is currently offered. They'll need to be better out-of-the-box. They'll need to be less resource hogs, and have better joints and posing ability. Better mapping is also required. Max seems to be the first of this new-and-improved set. Anton has added some very interesting technical innovations to the figure that I'm still working on figuring out. It's not the final though, just the first. Max does have room for improvement (like anything). I'm hoping that a major vendor will design a new set of figures that takes the best of current ideas, and improves on them. Something designed around P6 (P7, if it's CL). Maybe we should create a "Wishlist" thread for what we want in new figures...

SnowSultan ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 9:31 PM

I still wonder if this whole release wasn't thought through very carefully. V3 and her head/body morphs costs $30. Renda costs $45 for the base figure and Blackhearted's morph (one morph at that). Apollo Maximus isn't cheap, but you do get the figure, textures, and morphs all together. I don't know if this sort of logic is going to help Renda get the community support she needs. David and SP don't even get enough support from DAZ, and most would agree that they are superior figures. Just my thoughts of course. Thanks, take care. SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

butterfly_fish ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 9:32 PM

You want to know why I got involved in Poser? Because it had content I could import into other applications for use there. Poser for me is simply a niche posing application with some animation capability. Same here. It's only been the past year or so that I've started doing any final renders in Poser. And even then, it's mostly portrait work.

One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. -River Tam

Poisen ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:18 PM

quote "i just keep wondering how much larger the poser market has to become before a serious company steps in and creates a competing application."unquote Amen.. im really suprised alias/discreet/softimage hasent just stepped in and said "gee! thanks for getting everyone interested..we will take it from here!" it wouldnt be hard. profits are there, code base of existing software is already state of the art=3dsmax/maya/XSI etc. bound to happen sooner or later..

Blackhearted ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:25 PM

"...these are prop apps that are just being used to create poser content This suggests to me that you have a very "poser centric" viewpoint. You want to know why I got involved in Poser? Because it had content I could import into other applications for use there. Poser for me is simply a niche posing application with some animation capability. It's renderer is quite good (if slow) and it has a rigging system that makes it relatively easy to add clothing to base figures once they are modelled." heh, you dont think that i meant that rhino, max, etc only exist to create poser content do you? i should rephrase - it was supposed to mean that with regards to this discussion, they do not 'compete' with poser but are products that many poser users use in order to create content for poser. right now there really isnt anything out there that directly competes with poser feature-for-feature, and im just wondering why that is, why noones stepped in to offer some competition. poser grew from a small community but surely by now the communities are big enough to justify at least some interest from developers. and while there are some people who are here in the poser forum because they use poser content to import into something like max or lightwave - which is their main workspace - i dont think this is the case for the majority of them. as for cinematic quality 3d i obviously dont mean someone is going to produce a full length feature film in poser, i mean that people can get stills similar to those they see in CG ads, games, movies, the media, etc right from home as a hobbyist, with no professional training. sure you can sit here and say 'its not really on par with high-end 3d film' but thats nitpicking - you get the idea. in terms of rigging - no offense to either anton or jim - but i really havent seen anything yet that really impresses me and makes me say 'wow, that truly revolutionizes poser'... but i think thats going to have to come from CL's end anyway. seems apollo maximus looks good in some poses but that introduces weaknesses in others in which the unimesh figures perform well (as well as texture stretching, etc). as for jim's creation, its a further extension of the JCMs that weve been been forced to use for years to compensate for a shitty rigging system in poser which - while it can be tweaked and retweaked and compensated for through all sortsof poser tricks weve discovered - is still light years away from proper rigging and will never be the same until CL addresses it and reworks the program to support less primitive, more advanced rigging systems seen in professional 3d apps these days. personally im getting about as tired of all these 'workarounds' that us merchants have to do to poser products just to get them to not look like crap - such as JCMs on all of the joints and a host of other types of cr2 hacking - and to compensate for failings in the program's rigging system. i shudder to think how much work anton and jim had to go through to combat all these issues, and while their products do look great they still dont work as well as a properly rigged figure should (and no fault of their own - theyve squeezed pretty much all the juice out of poser's joint system that they could). the fact that its nearly 2006 and the core elements of poser still remain pretty primitive while tonnes of overhyped, glorified technical mumbo-jumbo 'bullet points' get added to the box to increase sales is kindof pathetic if you really think about it. im sure if there were 1-2 other companies competing with CL for our hobbyist dollars these issues would be addressed damned quickly and wed be left with a more streamlined package that progresses each year with newer technology as opposed to just getting tired 3rd party content hacked into it for the sake of adding bullet points to a product box. cheers, and goodnight folks, -gabriel

mylemonblue ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:33 PM

Now it's getting interesting.
I'm hoping more competition leads to new solutions and characters that offer things others didn't before. I hope. Eventualy. :)

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

EllPro ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:33 PM

"100% New Mesh." Big deal. Sixus1 makes 100% new meshes. LaRoo and ApolloMaximus are 100% new meshes. I hear the folks in Japan are putting together a mesh that will waste Aikko and Hiro. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's any good. Renda was released FAR too early. Period.

jade_nyc ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:37 PM

Wow, is it time for the annual Renderosity BBQ already?

Ethesis ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:42 PM

SWAMP, that made me laugh out loud ... I'm amazed this thread wasn't locked, but it looks like the issues are getting some fair discussion. I'm curious to see how things develop.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:49 PM

Why would it be locked? It's on topic and it's discussing a new figure that some like and others don't. Moved to another forum, maybe, but locked?

SWAMP ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 10:53 PM

RendaRicotta..... I think Renderosity is making its case to ban all nudity completely. This model could do just that. SWAMP (Reposted as I deleted by accident.)

mylemonblue ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:06 PM

The folks in Japan are doing something to? This is becoming the most exiting time ever! We realy need choices that are easier to share Morphs with that don't have to be encoded, inject, squished, and/or what ever. All this stuff is great news on all fronts. :)

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

neftis ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:08 PM

file_258623.jpg

Since I heard my name, here is a picture of my latest;)

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:11 PM

EllPro, I'd like to have more info on the "mesh that will waste Aiko and Hiro"! ;)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:12 PM

And well done too, neftis. It brings a tear to my eye... :)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

neftis ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:17 PM

Thanks I think she cried because there is too much competition outhere...OR a male 3d mesh broke her vertices heart maybe.with a morph or two, she'll be ok:)

JVRenderer ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:32 PM

"i just keep wondering how much larger the poser market has to become before a serious company steps in and creates a competing application." Ew Microsoft Poser???!! shudders... Actually Rendorosity is doing exactly what microsoft and CL is doing...release a bad product first, and patch it later. If Renda is the flagship product of Renderosity, one wonders how long the ship is gonna stay afloat? Well, maybe there are enough 'Hugh Grant's out there to support the ship.

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:35 PM

So, I'm curious. HAS anyone bought Renda? bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:20 AM · edited Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:21 AM

All of the Renderosity merchants were given a free download the day before commercial release. These issues were starting to be raised within minutes after some had downloaded the product. So, it is assured that the criticism based on actual use of the product has stimyed (sic) sales.

Message edited on: 06/23/2005 00:21

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Kalypso ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:24 AM
Site Admin

So, I'm curious too. What are the Japanese creators working on?

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:33 AM

Something exotic I hope.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:35 AM

file_258625.jpg

Some things just need work.

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

butterfly_fish ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:48 AM

ROFL hawkfyr!

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 1:09 AM

I don't comment on figures I don't own or works by other brokers but.. Neftis. She is beautiful as usual. Apollo could pair with her anythime. :) And mostly gratz to those who worked on Renda. Many start figure and never finish them. I am glad people are loosing the fear to create figures from scratch. Anyone with the guts an patience to create gets kudos. --------------------------- OT:Regarding Poser and rigging: --------------------------- Your are never ever ever ever going to get true Skin. They are polygons and always will be. Even with weight mapping, polygon skin does not shift over the bone. Also Poser Twist rotation and the other 2 rotations that use handlebars have a native conflict. They don't play well together and it is what we have to work with. Those that rig understand this. As long as we are using polygons, skin will always bend like a wetsuit that has been crazy-glued to the body. Period. Until dymnamic skin exists in poser as a way to bend and not just a way to copy the topography of other figures, skin will always pose like rubber. -------------------------------------------------- OT: The current standard approack to Poser figures -------------------------------------------------- This has nothing to do with Renda at all but just a 7 year generalization: I think learning and experimentation is always a path to improvement and innovation. People have to stop copying and do new things. From software copying to content copying, everything is a copy of this or a copy of that or borrowed from this or done similar to that, skinned like this or from clothing of that. There are many ways to rig figures for Poser. If noone is able to figure out the same problems appearing in the smae current design I think it is safe to say maybe, if this makes any sense, the design probably needs to be retired. Arrggg Don't be afraid to try new things. ------------------------------- Regarding competetive software: ------------------------------- Poser is popular because it is fun. There is a very good reason this isn't a Lightwave/Maya Community. Complicated isn't fun. The more complicated Poser gets the smaller the user base will become so be careful what you wish for. Instant perfect figure button is like instant art button. It doesn't exist Anyway.. My gratz to those who worked hard on Renda. And no more caffine for me! lol hehe

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.