Mon, Sep 9, 8:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Free Mud shader for P7

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 4:31 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 8:28 AM

I have included a pic of my Mud shader for Poser7, sorry it is not a poser file, perhaps when i make a basic image and bump map i will add it here too....

Please use the shader as you see fit, so long as you dont sell it on, as it should be free to everyone,my gift to all you poserites :-)

For an example of the shader at work checkout my gallery, (image name "my mud shader") this has had no post work and is a pure P7 render

oh and as you may notice it maps nicely to hair aswell.....so go throw the mud around

enjoy
Shedofjoy

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 4:34 AM

file_420994.jpg

damn...it said the file was too big so here goes again....lol...

artposer ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 5:12 AM

Okay I couldnt find it?

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 6:34 AM

er.... couldnt find what????

if your talking about my gallery image its in my gallery.....and is my most recent render.

oh and click on the pic to see the enlarged version of the shader...lol

adp001 ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 9:16 AM

Quote - er.... couldnt find what????

Would be nice to have a download link for this shader (shareCG?).

raven ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 11:41 AM

There is no download link for the shader as it is the picture 3 posts up. You have to copy the node settings in the picture to make the shader. Then just save it in the material room.

RetroDevil ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 11:49 AM

thanks for the info..un fortunately i aint getting the right results from that image!! i guess im doing something wrong :(

might start over!

My Gallery

MadameX ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 12:40 PM

file_421022.png

This is what I got when I made my mud shader. Used textures from cgtextures for the bump and image maps.

Diogenes ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 1:13 PM

Thanks shedofjoy. This will come in handy for the future. Some day I'm going to get out of the setup room and start doing some rendering, and I know next to nothing about shaders, so this helps not only for the shader itself but to help understand how they work.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 1:38 PM

Ok shedofjoy, tried out your mud shader combinations on V3 and I must say that I am rather impressed.  Now I'm going to put you on the spot,  which nodes control splatter intensities, color variations and size of the mud drops?  And exactly what R,G,B combinations were used in your post and suggested combinations for creating custom mud?  I think a small tutorial is in order to help newbie understand the complexity of the nobe interactions in the Material Room.

MadameX ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 4:33 PM

Quote -   I think a small tutorial is in order to help newbie understand the complexity of the nobe interactions in the Material Room.

I agree! It would be MOST helpful!

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 6:00 PM

ok....looks like i opened up a whole kettle of worms here...lol
Right.... i never tested this on V3, but im guessing some of you have already found this works, as well it should do, as i managed to cover V4 and her hair with pretty good results...
I will have to do a nice little download of the file for you all. i shall post it monday night and warn you all here that its available....

As for textures.... you dont have to use a texture,you can leave that node out (as well as the bump map texture)...and you dont have to use a skin texture, you can use a tartan cloth texture if you wish...lol, this makes it more of a node that allows you to cover everything everywhere with mud....

Now.... for hborre questions, Mud drops are controlled by the Granite_3 node and the clouds node (not numbered).... some of you might notice this as the mud drops appear on in renders not in preview so they are connected to the Displacement node....which brings me neatly to any Newbies out there.... TO GET the most out of this shade you have to have DISPLACEMENT on in the render settings...
Splatter intensity.... phew trying to remember this of the top of my head...lol.... now without going back into poser, play around with the various cloud nodes as these place the splatters in different splats and (A big AND) seperates your texture from mud...
as for the RGB values you can play with them to your hearts content on monday with the shader download that i will make for you all....ok...

Oh and a little tip folks.... im a newbie at the shader room too, i just decided "Thats it im gonna get this to do what i want" and one day and 5 shaders later....one finished mud shader....
so please go easy on me folks....im no Bagginsbill, lol
Oh and believe it or not this shader does sand too, but it needs fine tuning....

Have a good day everyone and thankyou all for your interest, please look back here monday and you shall all have your shader download.

Shedofjoy

Thankyou again all

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 6:32 PM

Thanks for the response.  I'm sure others will be waiting with anticipation towards the Monday release.  This is something worth playing around with; can't wait.  Thanks again.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 6:36 PM

Oh interestingly, Dont try and get this shader to cover the entire figure with mud.... i had some bad renders...lol... looks like im gonna have to build that one from the ground up too...lol

milanautica ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 9:36 AM

i played with your shader too, it also looks like chocolate :D
really great, thank you!

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 3:48 PM

I have created a render with a V3 model using your shader nodes with various tweaks and changes.  The results can be seen at the link below:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1809290

I think the results look awesome!  Word of caution, before applying the displacement map to your render, make certain that the display units in General Preferences are set to inches.  The displacement value of 1 seen in the Material Room image post is relatively too high if your display units is set to feet.  Of course, displacement values can be decreased if things look very distorted.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 3:53 PM

Nice work.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 4:23 PM

I'm having a horrible  time trying to connect Blender 2 Input 1 to Blender 3 Input 2 node the way you have it set up in that image. It refuses to connect.

RetroDevil ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 5:32 PM

hey still cant get this to work as it does in other renders :(  just wondering what measurement units u use in poser.. that could be why i am having difficulty

My Gallery

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 5:52 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_421115.jpg

Ok, hello again all.

RetroDevil:- my poser is measuring (if that sounds right,lol) in centimeters, as it helps me visualise better...

LostinSpaceman:- do not worry as i will be producing a download of the material on monday (tomorow)

BagginsBill:- thankyou, it means alot when someone of your calibur comments on my work.... sadly my shader lives in the shade (forgive the pun) of your shaders

milanautica and hborre:- excellent work...i hope you found the shader easy to use?

and lastly.... the bugs... yep bugs...
right i thought last night to give the shader a test, without a texture plugged into it, and then i noticed i lost the brownish grey hue in the mud for a more brown chocolate appearance. this causes a few issues where skin meets clothing with no texture, as the mud has now got 2 different shades...(as in the image i have posted). so not im building a more robust "throw everywhere" mud shader that will work anywhere with or without a texture map applied.
If i cannot resolve this by tomorow i will upload the current version as it is now,and then upload the new and improved version tomorow....
Thankyou all for spending you time and patience with me and my work,it is much appreciated.
i hope you all enjoy this
Thanks
Shedofjoy...

now back to another few thousand test shader renders...lol

JWFokker ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:31 PM

Looks great so far. Will you do a full render of that image so we can see beyond the area render square?

I see what you mean about the two different shades of mud, but I actually prefer the shade that's on the skin, rather than the more reddish chocolate colored mud on her shirt.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:37 PM

@ Lostinspaceman: Actually look closely at the nodes for blender 2 and blender 3, Clouds 3 is feeding both Input_1's.  The blender nodes are not connected to each other.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 7:11 PM

Blender 2 in clouds 2 adds mud spots outside the main mud mass on the skin texture, where as blender 3 and the texture map are supposed to be seperated by clouds4 but are blended....and there in lies my troubles.....lol... (and no if i remove the bias on clouds4 i dont get the more random nature of splat that i want, so it stays)
And  hborre is correct they are not connected (well only via clouds2 in a roundabout way)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 7:18 PM

oh i almost forgot...
JWFokker :- you may prefer the skin mud to the cloth mud, but that is where the bug lies that im trying to fix, hense the rendered test image and the many i have also done...
The problem is that the cloud node does NOT seperate the texture from the mud and therefore blends the skin to the mud, making a more realistic greyish mud in my gallery render, but this is only because of the skin texture im using, different skin textures by different people create different shades of mud, and that is why the cloth has a different shade of mud, because the muds default shade is more of a chocolate brown, which some have already noticed (and well done to them). im now in the process of stopping the underlying texture from changing the mud colour (which i fixed) but now the problem is my mud is chocolate coloured... no now i must recreate the greyish mud i like, and thats the problem, trust me it's not as easy as it looks....

JWFokker ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 7:26 PM

Just a thought - shouldn't the underlying material affect the color of the mud to some degree? Obviously, where the mud is sufficiently thick, no light would reflect back through and the color would not change, but areas that are smeared or just very thin would look different. Perhaps not to the degree that the current shader is exhibiting, but it could be something you might want to integrate into your shader in the future. At the edges of the mud it could be useful.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 7:36 PM

yes indeed this is true, the smeared mud does show some of the underlying texture below, thats ok, the problem is the base colour, as in the skin texture is influencing all of the mud, in my tests i did a pink top and sadly i got pinkish brown mud, not just the smears but the lot.... wasnt nice.... so im still playing...lol

oh and i wouldnt be typing here if it wasnt for the fact that my Poser has just thrown a wobbler and frozen on me after a render test,,,,,grrrrr.... time for bed i think...lol

i will do a full test render for you tomorow....

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 7:40 PM · edited Sun, 04 January 2009 at 7:41 PM

I love this. You guys are starting to peel the onion and getting into more sophisticated effects.

You really should be posting in the Node Cult with this one. There are quite a few interesting issues embedded in this problem. Also, just glancing around, I see things I'm curious about. For example, there's a Glossy node on the bottom right with a Sharpness = -1. I know everybody thinks I'm an expert but I confess I don't know what effect that would have.

So tell us, did you do that on purpose, or accident. And what effect are you getting with a negative sharpness? Because I thought I knew what Glossy sharpness was and I'm pretty familiar with it's values from 0 to 1, but I never imagined using a negative number here.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 8:08 PM

lol.... unlike you Bagginsbill sadly im a newbie with tendency to play around, i have had a few dabbles with shaders but this one comes from just toying with the material room.....lol
i know that most people like to stick to the norm, but there in is where i differ, ok i suppose the glossy sharpness should stick in the positive, but it seams to work well with this in the negative...lol...
er, node cult????? is that here???? should i move this thread? would people like me ever see nodes like this if it was there???? (sorry too many questions and i should have gone to bed)
i keep meaning to learn what all these nodes do, and to try that matmatic thing that people are talking about, but does it only rely on maths? if so im out, as maths is not my strong point, lol....
But rest assured i will still keep peeling at this onion and many more to come...
Er  and Bagginsbill, to 99.999% of us you are an expert, hell you make me look like a twit with a stick...lol

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 8:53 PM

Now that BB is on board, things are really going to get interesting.  As a matter of information, I actually threw this node combination into a VSS prop for easier application to all body parts.  I, also, switched to Miki 2 for testing purposes.  Currently using the Bandida skin texture which only has 2 body parts.  Shedofjoy, you may want to pay a little attention to the bump values while testing.  I have been using a 1 IBL, 1 infinity, and 1 spot light system for my renders and I am seeing artifacts in some crease areas of the skin texture.  A heavy application of mud would not reveal the anomolies because they are hidden.  But when you ease the mud application quite a bit, they begin to show up.  I remedied the issue by decreasing the bump value.  Currently, PoserPro is set to a Display unit = feet.  When I get a chance, I will reset it to centimeters and retry your values to see if I still detect it.  You have done an awesome job.  And keep up the good work.

3Dave ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2009 at 11:48 AM

Thankyou for this, what a great shader, just tried to copy your settings & got reasonable results, look forward to your shader though, I assume you'll use a "proxy" image for the texture image node to avoid the Poser nightmare that occurs with missing textures.  

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2009 at 2:02 PM

Attached Link: My website

**hborre,** i think the problem you had was in your poser settings as using feet with my shader will probably produce over exadurated bumps.... i will wait to see what you come up with with the centimeter setting that i use....

OK FOLKS... NOW THE TIME YOU HAVE WAITED FOR...
i have uploaded the shader (which ment a re-write of my website) it will show shortly in the freestuff here at Rosity...
but whilst you are waiting ive added a link to this post so you can download it now....
I have re-named the nodes (image texture) to "Your texture map" and "your bump map" and they have images already plugged into them, just add your own there, or not, depending on what effect you want.....ie you dont need them plugged in....ok

MadameX ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2009 at 2:50 PM

Thanks, Peter!

Ah....that must be why my image with Vicky turned out looking like a porcupine! Shoulda made a render....looked really weird!

Love the look of your website, too! ;)

milanautica ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2009 at 3:05 PM

weeeee, thanks again shedofjoy! ___
gotta play now ------------------------ :)

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2009 at 7:23 PM

Thank you very much.  Picked up the shader this evening and will do a test drive with it.  And yes, I agree with you, it might just be the display unit factor.  Thanks again.  Will keep you posted.

MadameX ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2009 at 9:38 PM

Attached Link: Study in Mud

I just finished an image using your version, Peter, and it turned out very nice! I've posted it in my gallery. There's nudity, so I flagged it, just in case.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 9:03 AM

Hello again all..... now for some good news..... i had a spot of inspiration this morning and shazem.... a more complex Version 2 mud shader.... i will post it on my website shortly (follow the link on my previous post)
i have added a quicky render to show what it did...

1st fixed the difference between smears of mud and clumps....
2nd the base texture or colour does not effect the clumps of mud anymore...
and 3rd'ly the mud is the same no matter where it goes so its the same across V4 and her clothes and the floor and her hair....

right im hoping the image will appear in this post, if not it will be in the next one...lol... (and what is the maximum file size for pics in the forum????)lol

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 9:05 AM

file_421192.jpg

and now another try,.... bloody file limit...lol

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 10:21 AM

i will put mud shader v2 for download 2moro...sorry about that but sadly i have to go back to work after 2weeks off... bummer...lol...

shorterbus ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 10:41 AM

I just gave it a quick test run and it looks great!

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 1:24 PM

The image looks excellent.  Can't wait to get my hands on the second version.  thanks.

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 1:54 PM

Now we just need a mud wrestling pit for the girls and a few beers to drink while we stand back and watch

:b_grin:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

JWFokker ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 3:25 PM

I might be doing things the hard way...but do you have to manually apply the material to every mat area on the figure and then reselect the textures that were "underneath"?

Also, does this preclude the use of any skin shaders? Is there some way to easily combine the two?

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 3:50 PM

Unfortunately, you will have to apply the shaders to each part of your model.  The only easy way would be to use BB's VSS prop.  It is the best convenient approach.  I might look closely at intergrating with skin shaders, time permitting, unless BB, himself, steps in and shares some of his knowledge.

3Dave ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 3:55 PM

Quote - I might be doing things the hard way...but do you have to manually apply the material to every mat area on the figure and then reselect the textures that were "underneath"?

Also, does this preclude the use of any skin shaders? Is there some way to easily combine the two?

You could Right click on the PoserSurface tab>select all Right click again>apply to all, then use a mat pose to restore eyes to normal, then go through and reselect skin textures for each part.. Or Right click>select all>copy and paste to similar regions, V4 & M4 they're numbered. If you are using skin shaders rather than texture maps you might try copying and pasting those into this material and wiring them into the shader in place of the "your texture here" image map.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 4:00 PM

Applying this shader to each part, while preserving the color and bump map files that are already on each part, is EXACTLY what VSS is for.

After you post mud shader version 2, I'll see if I can integrate it with my skin shader to give you a one-click application for any figure, using VSS.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 5:54 PM

Told you BB would come through!

3Dave ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 7:09 PM

Quote - Told you BB would come through!

Indeed, thanks to BB for his help here and for the interesting evening I just spent following up some of his other material node advice from other threads. Will give VSS a try as soon as I get my machine back from it's rendering tasks, noticing the clock, make that will give it a go tomorrow

JWFokker ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 2:34 AM · edited Wed, 07 January 2009 at 2:45 AM

file_421246.jpg

Here's a Before/After comparison. (Click to enlarge)

Image 1: VSS 2 prop with VSS 3 mat file applied, full scene gamma correction and saturation boost from Bagginsbill's Artistic Lens

Image 2: Mud shader, no VSS, full scene gamma correction and saturation boost from Bagginsbill's Artistic Lens

I ended the rendering process early because the hair and dynamic fur were taking forever (a few hours) because I accidentally set the Render Settings too high. You might notice that the hair and stomach are considerably less grainy in the second image, probably because I set the irradiance caching, pixel samples and render dimensions way up for a small test render and forgot to change them back. The resulting image was 1280x2133 at near max quality. It's VERY sharp, but actually looks worse in some ways because the skin did not have Bagginsbill's VSS applied to it.

I didn't apply the mud shader to the gun because it had WAY too many parts to apply it to (about as many as V4 and the other props combined). It looks like I missed applying a texture to the shorts in the first image though. Also, I may not have applied the mud shader to the hair correctly, because I can't hardly see it. It may have to do with my copying of a transparency node from the original mat settings because the mud shader removed it. I figured it was important to keep it, but it may not do what I think it does.

And as I should have known (had I given it any thought), the mud shader is completely obscured on the boots by the dynamic fur. So different footwear will need to be used in renders where mud is required.

JWFokker ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 2:43 AM · edited Wed, 07 January 2009 at 2:45 AM

file_421247.jpg

Here's a full resolution section of the second image (click to enlarge). It looks like there's either no displacement going on with the mud, or it *very* low. It may have to do with my using centimeters as the default unit of measurement in Poser. I'm not sure. I also didn't put anything in the Bump texture spot of the mud shader, but I didn't delete the node either, which may or may not be the correct thing to do. Hopefully someone can clarify this for me.

3Dave ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 3:11 AM

JWFokker, if you don't want to change your display units, you'll need to multiply the bump &  displacement values by 2.54 (1inch = 2.54cm) Bump doesn't change the geometry like displacement does, but it will add shadows to it to make the mud appear more prominent

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 5:37 AM

It would be interesting to see your nodes scheme for this render.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.