Sat, Aug 3, 2:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 31 8:13 pm)

Subject: Have any of you ever become hostile towards the Poser Hobby?

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 4:38 PM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 7:46 PM

Some of you recall, I lost everything, and haven't had the urge to do the work necessary to restore the collection. I've been waiting and waiting for the urge to strike. Well, it hasn't come yet, and when I think about Poser now, I feel a bit mad, and when I see "Poser stuff" I get mildly irritated and negative reactions to the products/artwork derived for it and from it.

Yet, Marketplace is the first shortcut on my favorites bar, 2nded by Daz.

I haven't opened the program in months.

Is there any coming back from this?

Any of you had similar lows in the hobby?

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 4:55 PM

Not to the extent you're describing but sure I've had many a time where I couldn't be bothered doing an image, I've often opened it all up, started doing something and then said "stuff it, I can't be arsed with this" and gone away for weeks without doing anything, but then I always come back..

I fried my HD some time back, I alwys have multiple backups now so what took me weeks to put back before, only takes hours now if it happens again..

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 5:25 PM

I had a low like that. Lasted nearly 5 years.

Laurie

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 6:04 PM

Quote - I had a low like that. Lasted nearly 5 years.

Laurie

Five years. So, there is hope then. I kind of thought I might be inspired by the next edition of Poser, or the next big DAZ figure.

I did open up the new DAZ with the Genesis figure.

Meh.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 6:06 PM

That's sort of how I thought about DS4...lol.

Laurie

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 6:38 PM · edited Sat, 02 July 2011 at 6:39 PM

I have to admit, I have a big bunch of stuff to install from the DAZ sales late last year.  I feel a bit sheepish having paid for that stuff and not yet installed it, but it will take a lot of valuable time to install, so I feel a bit guilty when I find time for soem Poser work.  Perhaps your funk is similar in origin, as you obviously have a ton of stuff to reinstall.

Maybe you should have a fling with Sydney or Alyson-all fun with no committment required.... 😄

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 7:00 PM

Yikes. ;)

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 9:44 PM

Back when I was a mod here at Rendo, I started out liking Poser alot. I mean, I'd used the thing since Poser2. Big fan. However, once I took over gallery monitoring duties, I started to hate Poser alot. No fault of the program and maybe even not completely the fault of the users but nothing ticked me off more than seeing a Poser render of Vicky or Mike or Simon, etc. and little else floating through the gallery I was watching. I started to hate Poser after that because of all the extra work caused by folks who couldn't be bothered to check if they were posting to the right gallery. I literally refused to use it for something close to 6 months. Eventually I got over it though and look at me now - my job is making content for Poser (and Anime Studio).

So yeah, you can come back from the feeling you're having now. It may take you less or more time than it took me but I think we all go through moments when something we love annoys us a little (or a bunch).

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 11:25 PM

I did chuck Poser for a few weeks, some years ago.  Back to it in a small way these days.

Eternal Hobbyist

moriador ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 12:51 AM

I stopped using Poser for about 3 years. It just ceased being a source of pleasure. Instead, I concentrated on photography. When photography started to get a little less exciting because I was no longer able to get to as many new locations, I got interested in Poser again.

Just make sure you don't get annoyed enough to do something you might regret later, like deleting all your content (and even old renders). Digital storage is cheap. Save everything and put it away until you feel like using it again. Might be weeks from now, might be years. I'm sure in either case it's totally normal.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

basicwiz ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 2:38 AM

I get burned out a bit after a big commission job, (especially if there were a number of re-renders requested by the customer) but that's usually because (artistically) I could have cared less about what I was rendering. For me, it was just a matter of getting back to something that lit my fire.

ypvs ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 5:18 AM

It can get the same with music- you'll get an album/artist that you play to death for a while then get fed up with it. Some time later you pick it up, realise you've not heard it for a while and the love affair starts again.

Poser 11 , 180Gb in 8 Runtimes, PaintShop Pro 9
Windows 7 64 bit, Avast AV, Comodo Firewall
Intel Q9550 Quad Core cpu,  16Gb RAM, 250Gb + 250Gb +160Gb HD, GeForce GTX 1060

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 7:36 AM

Nope, not ever.  Some of the users annoy the hell out of me.  Some of the content is mind blowingly awful.  Some of the images are unbelievably dreadful.  The app itself and my use of it, no.  I don't have enough of an emotional investment in the stuff I use to get worked up about them.  That would be as pointless as Basil Fawlty beating his car when it broke down - and as stupid.

If I can't get anywhere with a thing, I put it down for a while and do something else.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 8:38 AM

LOL must be the "season"
Three Weeks Ago I was literally suffering from sleep depravation
Caused by an Obsessive combination of constant animating in poser for this Film project.

personal Modeling + physics Simulations and constantly visiting the free online material Libraries for Maxwell and Vray and rendering scenes  in both engines via their Connection to Maxon Cinema4D R11 Studio.

I even learned how to animate/lipsynch figures in Anime studio Pro7

As a result I created some really nice new renders for my Professional gallery over at Coroflot.com.

I modeled and shared a free morphing sea creature prop and created really cool torture wagon model for poser and became a more skilled modeler in general especially using splines from illustrator

I believe I have reached the absolute theoretical Limit of what the poser physics plugin can/cant do.

All of the time spent in C4D's graph editor animating My cameras  for this Film GIG has made me painfully realize how badly posers animation tools have been IGNORED by it various owners.

To answer the OP more directly, I have always had a Love /Hate relationship with poser since version2.
I utterly DESPISE  its render engine and never, NEVER used it in final production of anything.

I HATE poser's and ALL "node based" Material systems.

I am actually ,Frankly pleased that the new DAZ genesis Figure is not compatible with poser because its time for the parent company of poser to get serious about making some native poser figures that are actually useful or give /sell the program to someone who will.

I could rant on ..but right now I open C4D or poser and stare at the empty scene for 30 seconds ..close the program
and Start re-watching seasons 1& 2 of "Gundam 00" in HD.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 9:12 AM

Lately I've really started to love poser more than ever.  Because my software is now starting to do what I want it to do and I have enough content (well never enough but enough to make scenes) so that I can make the things I have in mind.  My vue imports poser. I can make an HDRI in vue that I can use as a background for a scene in poser too, and I have got better at postwork.  My python scripts make poser do all sorts of quick things that speed up my scene making too.  The premade scenes i have bought are better than the old ones I used to have as well.

My comic has finally got off the ground and although the artwork in it is pretty crappy for my initial chapters, I have a mega unposted episode that i am really really pleased about.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 9:12 AM

Lately I've really started to love poser more than ever.  Because my software is now starting to do what I want it to do and I have enough content (well never enough but enough to make scenes) so that I can make the things I have in mind.  My vue imports poser. I can make an HDRI in vue that I can use as a background for a scene in poser too, and I have got better at postwork.  My python scripts make poser do all sorts of quick things that speed up my scene making too.  The premade scenes i have bought are better than the old ones I used to have as well.

My comic has finally got off the ground and although the artwork in it is pretty crappy for my initial chapters, I have a mega unposted episode that i am really really pleased about.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Black_Star ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 9:28 AM

Well, you might be somewhat happy to find out you are not alone in this, as right now I am getting through the very same experience as you do.

I am a merchant here but somehow I did not managed to create a new product in years and that is not because I lost my inspiration or because I don't have what other products to create (I actually have a mirriad of ideeas and products in various stages of completion), but somehow I am still in a horrendous terror of touching anything Poser related.

First of all, as a merchant I slowly gathered this fear of not doing something wrong, of not doing a mistake with my next product. So far all my products were flawless from this point of view, but the care that I had to put in in order for this to happen left a hard print on my soul and psyche.

Also, this was amplified a year ago, when two of my HDD's crashed (1 TB and another 500 GB HDD's), and those two dragged down with them pretty much everything I created in the past 3 years, all new would be products, textures, gathered tutorials and so on. Right now, aside from what I remember from memory and product construction habit, I feel otherwise like a newbie.

I am desperately trying to recover, to start creating new stuff for Poser again, but now with the new V5's danger of appearance looming over our heads, I don't feel like making (and investing effort) in anything related to V4. And I had so many amazing projects related to V4... And this leaves yet another hard print on my soul, as I have to scrape all those now.

I am also an (so far unpublished) writer and writing and doing Poser stuff went good togheter so far, but right now, the two of them started to hinder each other in my head, practically blocking each other. I feel that if I would not "unblock" one of them soon, I might not be able to touch any of the two in the future. And that truly, would be a pity... :(

I hope that seeing that you are not alone in your "quest" felt "refreshing".

Best regards!

Photopium ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 12:27 PM

Very refreshing. Sorry about your hard drive losses. It really stings, I know. Good luck with your writing and thanks for your story!

hornet3d ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 12:30 PM
Online Now!

I have had periods when I have left Poser alone, both through lack of time and lack of any sort of inspiration.  I use it just as a hobby and do not have a massive emotional commitment.  During the times when I am stuck for ideas I tend to look deeper into Poser as I know I am not even close to pushing it's capabilities. 

On the other hand I can understand what a daunting process reinstalling can be when you have lost a lot of data.  However, Poser is not alone in this, and in the age of digital photography it is so easy to loose images that can never be reproduced. 

My back up routine is simple I back up everything via an automated process to a 1Tb hard drive placed into a hot-swapable cradle.  I rotate this hard drive once a week and twice a month I do another backup to a second 1tb that is held with a family member who lives close.  That drive is rotated on each occasion.  That gives me an immediate 1 week fall back and a two week fall back at a remote location (incase of theft or fire).  The program also gives reports on the backup run and any failures.

The total hardware required is 3 X 1tb hard drives and a hot-swap cradle.  The back ups are full in that the cover the program, runtime and renders and maintain the drive/file structure of the existing machine.

Of course the only time you know if a back up plan will work is when you need to back up.  In my case the closest I have got is a machine build and full recovery in less than 18 hours from blank machine to working poser with all my renders from the past 6 years.  A large chunk of that 18 hours was overnight as I left the drive running unattended.  Not sure of the full size but that included seperate runtimes for Vicky 3, Vicky 4, Mike and David, Mike 4, Robots, Space, Places,Construction, Lights, Materials, Animals, Mythical Creatures, Furniture, Transport, Weapons, plus the usual Poser and download runtimes and python scripts. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

oldgreycat ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 12:44 PM

I've gone long stretches w/out anything Poser-related - most recently, from May of last year to May of this year with the exception of a CD cover that I created for a mix I gave a few friends at Xmas. And going further back, I've taken similar long breaks, usually after intense periods of usage. Given that my desktop just died, I may be taking another, this time forced, sabbatical for a while. My laptop can only do so much. (Thankfully I didn't lose a lot - I back up everything on two separate hard drives.)

Mogwa ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 5:10 PM

I experience periods of weariness with almost all of my software. Crashes and bugs are often a contributing factor, but sometimes one just needs a break to try out something new.

The idea of restoring a large Poser collection gives me a headache, but sooner or later I reckon you'll want to get back in the game. As an experienced user, you can save a lot of time and effort by being familiar with what's available, free or otherwise, and skip downloading what you didn't like. Stick to the essentials.

ladydrakana ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 5:38 PM

Daz 4 is being neglected because I can not read the fine text they in their infinate wizdome decided on.  Can't look at it for more than a few minutes without a headace.  Can't do anything with it.  Will be staying with Poser and Daz 3 until they decide to correct the font size issue. I did recently purchase one of the Genises expansions just in case. Poser pro 2010 gets me upset to the point I have to turn it off for a few days at at time.  Why haven't the fixed the wind generator by now? And I have other problems using materials made specificly for it not working. Sorry Dr. Geep but I can't follow any of your building projects any more because they don't work with this version.

Poser Pro 2010

Cage ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 6:43 PM

I seem to suffer the Poser Burnout regularly, in the past few years.  Sometimes it's caused by frustration with the limitations of the software.  More frequently, I get fed up with my own limitations.  Once or twice, it's happened because of uncomfortable or conflict-ridden collaborations on one project or another.  Sometimes real-life stressors make it hard to concentrate in the way or to the degree which Poser requires.

I don't know about hostile, though.  Although Poser 5, before the service releases, frequently angered me enough to make me throw the manual across the room.  Some of the pages are falling out, on account of that.  But that wasn't hostility, so much as poor anger management.  :lol:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

vholf ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 9:08 PM

I have my ups and downs every year, one could say I'm an active Poser user 6 months or less a year, the rest, I can't stand even looking at the Poser icon, let alone open the program at all. After that period, I'm rendering like a mad man, trying new things and ideas.

Now that I think about it though, I'm like that with all of my hobbies, I never stick to anything for more than a few months before losing interest.

Coleman ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2011 at 4:11 AM

I wish I could turn off the real world so I could be totally immersed in the Poser world uninterrupted.

Netherworks ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2011 at 4:22 AM

Lately, no I haven't experienced that kind of "meh" feeling.  I've always enjoyed working with Poser.  I get frustrations like everyone else does but I have been keeping my mind flexible and just not worrying about the little things that I guess I used to get hung up on.  I go with my passion.

Sometimes the problem is me and how I'm looking at things and like Cage is saying, my own limitations.  And frankly a lot of what we all do involves creativity.  If you are not feeling creative at times, you just have to walk away for a bit.

I can be a HUGE poserholic.  I force myself to take breaks and give myself some entertainment time that isn't Poser.  It does help.

It sounds like you are feeling a bit overwhelmed at restoring your collection.  I'd just take it a bit at a time and not turn it into a "job".  It does give you the opportunity to start with a clean slate and organize it all from scratch (certainly from an optimistic point of view).

JenniSjoberg ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2011 at 10:20 AM · edited Mon, 04 July 2011 at 10:21 AM

I used to feel alot of stress about it all, maybe not hostility, but more a sense of not being bothered anymore.. Especially back when I was a merchant ..

I've had a couple of big breaks of 2years+..  this time when I started again I decided to

1, not be a merchant anymore cause of the stress and the drama..

2, not get involved in the little cliques you find on the poser community...  the whole I'll-comment-and-fave-your images-if-you-do-it-for-me-bollocks...  I promised myself this time around I'm only doing it for me, and only when I want to..

Everytime I've started again I haven't re-downloaded everything I've ever bought.. I only download stuff that I actually have ideas/plans to use in an image.  Having to "get it all back" would feel way too overwhelming I think.. 

Just start small.. and really think about what exactly about it all makes you feel "meh".. and just don't do that anymore ;)

Poser is still a quite nice way to spend an afternoon or two when you're feeling creative :)

CRITIC, n. A person who boasts himself hard to
please because nobody tries to please him.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2011 at 8:20 AM

i walked away from poser for awhile after the cp forums closed.

then i discovered V4 / M4 and the pc club.  all that stuff for 1.99.  and that's when i realized poser was a full render engine.  and then wings3d came along to let me make stuff and customize morphs.

if only poser could integrate a wings room tab and a rainbow room 😄

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2011 at 8:36 AM · edited Wed, 06 July 2011 at 8:40 AM

Time to move on, find something else to do. I've stopped using Poser for fun, but I'm even hardly on a computer anymore. Had a crash, a virus and all the nagging update screens started to annoy me so much that I just quit. Better things to do then having to re-install stuff time after time and constantly being haunted by virus threads and program updates.

The las time I used Poser was for a project, 3 months ago. That was the first time I even touched Poser after not using it for 3 months or so. After the project, I haven't touched it anymore, only used it once in 6 months for a 16 renders project. Don't miss it at all. Don't miss my computer either. So far this week, I've typed 3 forum messages, including this one. There are days I don't even switch on my computer at all. It's the first time this week I've started it up.

I do check my email once or twice aday, but I'm using my tablet for that. It's on for a few moments each day, not like it used to be. Used to be online many hours each day. Used poser for hours each day. Not anymore. I really like it now, the urge is gone. I can live without a computer, it's very relaxing and lot's of other non digital things to discover in this world.

Once I finish typing this message, I'll switch off the computer, get my bike and pick up my wife from work. Spent the rest of the day with her, cook her a nice meal (trying out a new recipe). She's getting used to it, me not spending hours behind the stupid screen (as she calls it and right so), but doing other stuff. I'm getting used to it as well and start to really like it..... why in the world did I  used to spent all the countless hours on the computer doing really nothing worthwhile at all? It was such a waste of time for me.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

jancory ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2011 at 9:40 AM

Quote -   Although Poser 5, before the service releases, frequently angered me enough to make me throw the manual across the room. 

this is why i miss the old printed manuals.  it's much harder to toss your whole computer across the room (laptops excepted).

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

sixus1 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2011 at 9:56 AM

Quote - Some of you recall... Any of you had similar lows in the hobby?

It's been forever since I've posted here, but this question really made me think. I've been involved with Poser since the first version of the program and yes, I have defintiely had a number of points where I've thrown up my hands and walked away from it, though not so much from Poser itself, but more from some of the company/community politics behind the scenes. Once I started making my living primarily from producing content for it, that phenomenon increased exponentially. It's the primary reason I post very rarely. I know there's always some "old-timer" groaning on about how much better things were back in the late '90s with this stuff because the commercial aspect of it hadn't reached the point where it was the driving factor behind everything, but they're totally right. It wasn't all good, mind you, but nothing ever is. Still, the various forums back then were much more open and people weren't sequestered so much into these falsely cliquish "communities" with ridiculously restrictive rules governing damn near everything people can and can't say. My biggest issue these days with the entire hobby isn't the hobby of Poser or the artform of 3D, but the companies who are the gatekeepers to the overall community and markets. I've actually spoken to people now who are stunned to find out there's anything beyond Daz. The same happens with people here and elsewhere. The cross polination of companies, communities and the entire experience of creating and sharing art and ideas in the broader scale of this community just feels dead more often than I care to think about. It used to be that I would take time to continue those interactions in the forums as much as I could, but over time, more and more rules are heaped on, many of which have more to do with creating a false kind of boundary or tunnelvision for people interacting in them that I have to question even the most innocuous of statements I might wish to make to the degree that most of the time I just shut up and move on. I absolutely hate how much that specific thing has had a silencing effect throughout the ranks of so many folks I've known for 14-15 years. Facebook has sort of started to present a decentralized alternative, but it's still nowhere near what I'd like to see, and the level of thought control posed from the top down in so many places really makes me feel alienated from a community that I've been a part of since it's earliest days. It's sad. I've made some long standing friends through Poser, and through conversations and experiences that would not be able to happen given the restrictiveness of the climate across the board. It's a problem I could ramble on about and speculate on for ours, so I'll stop here: I've been around this stuff long enough, know and am known by many if not most of the individuals who have personally been responsible for policies and motivations that have made it this way, and frankly, they should be ashamed. A community of openness built this entire hobby so long ago. That same community spawned a market that has become a key piece of the working life of many of us as professional 3D artists. A small number of people, fortunate enough to have ended up in positions of athority, have allowed their tunnelvision and lack of respect for the nature of what built this community and thus the market to pervert the entire thing for many of us. I appreciate deeply the unbridled interactions I get to have in a certain couple of places which I don't even think I'm "allowed" to mention in here, and am deeply saddened that those kind of interactions which used to be so common are now a rarity in my experience. The hopeful thing, though, is that nothig lasts forever and that includes blind, monolithic control. -Les

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2011 at 10:29 AM · edited Wed, 06 July 2011 at 10:33 AM

I'm sorry you lost all of your content.  Like any loss we all go through a grieving process, part of that is being angry.

Everyone's grieving process is different and some take longer than others getting through each stage.

In time you may find that you want to dealve back into Poser.  However, it is possible that you have reached the end of the road with Poser and will find something else, more statisfying to fill that time.

I've had several hard drive crashes and have lost gigs and gigs of material. Even whole runtimes. I eventually redid my runtimes, and managed to redownload all of my purchases, but many of the freebies that I had collected were lost to me.

Until this last week, the last time I was inside Poser to do more than a quick beta test (few) and take a screenshot to help someone was November 2008!

Last week I opened Poser to actually make a render, and I did!  Took many starts and stops, crashes, reboots etc, but I did manage to get something done.

I can't say that my interest in Poser is peaked to the point that it was. Which is a good thing because I used to spend way too much time hiding behind a computer screen instead of socializing in the real world.  But I know it's there should I feel the spark of creativity.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2011 at 3:38 PM

I'm like Sam, I get more annoyed by forum users than Poser itself, but I do loose my muse to render anything every so often.

amy_aimei ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2011 at 9:29 PM

I feel the same too.  I think it is caused by the technical stuff.  It limits the creativity.  If all I want is a good rendered picture, other software can do it too.  I'm still struggling in making clothing that "works"

I gave up on Victoria 4 as well, I paid for it when it is not free!  All I want is something that my laptop can handle.  I've seen some amazing artworks that done in the past with the computers that are not as fast as the one I have. 

The free contents are the main reason for me to stay with Poser/DAZ Studio.  I do not have as many outfits as Victoria 4 (just counted the free contents) LOL!

Hopefully, I will come back with some new stuff for Antonia when I recovered.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 3:26 AM · edited Fri, 08 July 2011 at 3:29 AM

Hi

I kind of come and go with Poser.

I originally got it to save time adding characters to architectural illustrations that I did.

Many like restaurant interiors needed a lot of people in them.  I liked doing the interiors but I wasn't interested in painting all the people, since that wasn't what I was concerned with.

I created dozens of characters and added them to the library.

I would load the Illustration into Poser as a background and pose the characters then save the characters and export them as tiff files.

Next I opened the illustration in Photoshop at much higher resolution and placed each character after using the Filter Gallery effects to make the characters look arty and like they were painted in.

That was clear back in Poser 2, I think. 

Then I lost interest for years, every once in a while I would mess around with it but I wasn't doing commercial stuff that used it and I didn't have any real goals for it.

Then I started messing with the animation abilities a while back.

Now I'm totally hooked and keep learning to do new stuff every week.  I haven't had this much fun on my computer in a long time.

Both the animation on the computer (I used to do cell animation for TV) and the video editing are new to me.

Maybe what you need to do it come up with an idea for some projects, that would be fun to do, don't just think of it as getting back into Poser, more of a, "Can I create something that will entertain people", sort of thing.  Think about the project not the process.

It's my Lucy videos that got me hooked.

I did the first one just as a joke to send a friend of mine, I didn't plan on doing more of them, and now I spend half my time trying to come up with new ideas for them.  Right now I'm thinking about Fog, how could I do that?

I'm about to turn 73 years old and I'm still going.

I'm enjoying the community and seeing what every body else is doing, more ideas for projects, it gets me away from sitting and answering questions on the Windows 7 tech forum all day. 

Any way I hope you get your groove back! LOL

I know demoralizing it is to loose stuff, I've had it happen too!

I now have everything on my computer backed up twice to external hard drives and the really important stuff to DVDs.

Good Luck! 

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 12:13 PM

Many times, especially when Daz coughs up a new vicky or mike that requires all new content for them.  That's frustrating enough.   Other times it's my creative process that feels completely blocked, especially when I want to create something with more substance than a character and pose.  And then there's software bugs and computers hanging on renders.   For me, poser interest ebbs and flows.  

santicor ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 2:25 PM

if only poser could integrate a wings room tab and a rainbow room

Yeah.  And a champagne room !

I keep  waiting for my damn models to  come  to  life and jump  out of my  computer monitor .... but...

nuttin yet.

"When you have to shoot ...

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=3&userid=580115

Kendra ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 12:30 PM

Quote - I keep  waiting for my damn models to  come  to  life and jump  out of my  computer monitor .... but...  

nuttin yet.

You manage to create the virtual girlfriend and you're practically guaranteed a top vendor spot.  ;)

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 6:07 PM

Quote - I know there's always some "old-timer" groaning on about how much better things were back in the late '90s with this stuff because the commercial aspect of it hadn't reached the point where it was the driving factor behind everything, but they're totally right.

I do miss those days.  :sad:  I guess the change to marketplace-driven communities was necessary.  All of the forums would have folded by now, otherwise.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

moogal ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 6:54 PM · edited Sat, 09 July 2011 at 7:03 PM

Quote - Five years. So, there is hope then. I kind of thought I might be inspired by the next edition of Poser, or the next big DAZ figure.

The interesting thing is that you want to care, but just don't.  It kind of happened to me when I was thinking about making my own figures.  It wasn't that it was too hard, just I felt it was unnecessarily hard and required learning too many programs at the same time.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to make items compatible with Poser or Studio or both (and wanted to be able to use them in a game engine as well).  Got bored with long rendering times and bought Carrara only to find it didn't handle my Poser content nearly as well as I'd expected.  (I have been majorly disappointed with the lack of progress on hair, cloth and soft bodies with regard to the three main programs that use "content".)  I even took a look at iClone, but it seemed like there was even more stuff I'd need to buy to get started than Poser...  (I haven't written it off just yet.  Using the GPU to render is a huge plus for me.)

I don't even buy stuff.  I just like the interface and the ease of re-using stuff compared to other programs.  I could probably just move on to Shade or Messiah, but I feel I've learned too much about Poser to just give it up.  I am still hoping they will someday add the things I want for once, everyone else seems to be with happy with it...

Just as I was about to give up on it for good, I somehow got a job using Poser (in WV of all places!).  I have now put more time in with Poser in the last three months than probably since I got it.  Now I am looking toward the end of my project and thinking, "Wow, there's so many fun things I could do with this"...

edit- I forgot to answer the question.  I have indeed become irate at certain aspects of Poserdom.  I hesitate to call it a hobby, because I have always believed there were opportunities to use Poser professionally (I even managed to find one).  What I hate is that feeling that selling content is the purpose of Poser, Studio and even Carrara.  There isn't one single program I know of, after all of these years, that will let you model, rig, animate and render a Poser figure.  All of the set-up tools I have seen were less than ideal, and still require an imported mesh before you can do anything.  The group editing tool is a joke (compared to say, selecting in Wings with the +/- keys, lasso and invert option).  Ik, is wonky with poses, to the point that it's often easier to turn it off than to get the results you want with it on.  All of that tells me that most users are just buying content, dropping it in and making NVIATWASs.  It always comes down to the fact that eventually you hit that wall.  You can do some clever stuff and make some pretty pictures, but the moment you try to "go beyond", whether it be photorealism or whatever, you'll just as often end up going nuts.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2011 at 2:06 AM

Yes. I stopped for quite a long time. Years. PoserPro2010 revitalized my interest.

DarkSkills ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 10:00 AM

I feel your pain. My PC crashed and I lost everything. The worst part is, I was in the middle of an animation project when it happened:( That was around 2.5 years ago now.

I have a new computer now and I've actually managed to reinstall Poser, but that's it. I'm simply dreading reinstalling all the Daz and Marketplace content I've accumulated over the years. I know I'll do it eventually, but right now I'm kind of waiting for some sort of inspiration to motivate me.

Stay Focused.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2011 at 10:10 AM

Quote - I feel your pain. My PC crashed and I lost everything. The worst part is, I was in the middle of an animation project when it happened:( That was around 2.5 years ago now.

I have a new computer now and I've actually managed to reinstall Poser, but that's it. I'm simply dreading reinstalling all the Daz and Marketplace content I've accumulated over the years. I know I'll do it eventually, but right now I'm kind of waiting for some sort of inspiration to motivate me.

Install 10 items a day ;). Or, only install what you think you'll need initially and add things as you need them. I agree tho, reinstalling all Poser content is a job I wouldn't wish on anyone...lol.

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.