Wed, Sep 18, 11:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Blender 2.6 UV mapping, materials, image maps, and textures

Agent0013 ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 4:16 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 3:09 AM

First up, my version of Blender is 2.61. With that in mind, any advice concerning how to do UV mapping, applying materials and textures, and mapping image maps to my models will be greatly appreciated. I am new to the digital art community, having only been practicing it for about a year. I have several programs installed on my computer, and have learned quite a lot about most of them. 

Now I wish to get into the finishing aspects of modelling, which includes UV mapping and the related tasks. With that knowledge I will be able to create complete models and upload them. It is my plan to become a creator/vendor for websites such as Renderosity. Eventually I plan to have my own website where I can sell exclusive models I create, and possibly those created by others who wish to do so on my website.

I would like to be directed to links where I can find relevant information concerning UV mapping and application of materials, textures, and image maps in Blender 2,6+. Anything that is for earlier versions will most likely not be of use to me. I would also like to hear from those of you who can provide useful tips and advice on the subject.

I have already searched for and downloaded video tutorials from YouTube on the subject at hand and will be using them to learn as much as I can. Now I need some in PDF form or in other document form. Also it would be very helpful if a reliable manual for Blender 2.6 could be found and downloaded. Having something like that would make learning from the other sources a lot easier. Including the hotkeys and shortcuts list for the program would definitely be a plus. 

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 4:52 PM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 4:55 PM

You've tried Blender Cookie, Blender Guru, Blender Nerd, BlenderUnderground, BlenderArtists.org? TONS of tutorials and video tutes. There's a metric ton on Vimeo as well on everything under the sun ;). I'd start with Blender Cookie and watch the Basics videos. Blender can be VERY daunting without at least the basics on how to get around. There's soooo much to it.

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:06 PM

First question: how old is your graphics card? Does it support CUDA? If so, that will have an impact on materials, since you will then be able to use Cycles, which employs a different set of materials to Blender Internal.

And there is only one reason i can think of to not download the latest version of Blender - after all, it is free - and that is bandwidth. The current stable version is 2.63a. It has dramatic improvements over 2.61. Download size is roughly 35 meg, IIRC. Be sure to download for your OS and OS type (32 vs 64 bit).

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:09 PM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:10 PM

Blender Basics 4th Edition is here. 2.5 is still relevant to 2.6

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:15 PM

Bloody thing at Scribd won't let me sign up - keeps taking me to a login dialogue. Some sites are absolutely moronic. :m_temper:

Metaphor of Chooks

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:20 PM

Sheesh, finally found it!

http://www.cdschools.info/blenderbasics/

Same one?

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:54 PM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:55 PM

Yeah, that's the one Robyn. They moved the old page. Couldn't find it to save my life...lol. Ugh. ;)

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 8:18 PM

Quote - Yeah, that's the one Robyn. They moved the old page. Couldn't find it to save my life...lol. Ugh. ;)

Laurie

Hate it when they leave without a forwarding address... not impressed with the IT dept of that school. :blink: oh well, at least that resource is still around. It is excellent!

Just watching young, frenetic Jonathan Williamson's tutorial on CGCookie (BlenderCookie) on modelling the body. Lots of stop/start/backup/start/stop/wait-that-was/huh? :m_think: :m_tired:

Metaphor of Chooks

Agent0013 ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:04 PM

Quote - You've tried Blender Cookie, Blender Guru, Blender Nerd, BlenderUnderground, BlenderArtists.org? TONS of tutorials and video tutes. There's a metric ton on Vimeo as well on everything under the sun ;). I'd start with Blender Cookie and watch the Basics videos. Blender can be VERY daunting without at least the basics on how to get around. There's soooo much to it.

Laurie

I have a subscription to Blender Cookie on YouTube, so yes I know what you are talking about. My problem is sorting out the good ones, as many of them are made by people that hardly know the software themselves or by people that skip information because they assume that the viewer can discern what is being done. Also, some of the tutorial videos are too fast paced for me, or they put in a lot of extra stuff that is not needed, "muddying the water" so to speak.

As for your other suggestions I will look in on them and see what they have to offer.

By the way, I have a two year old Toshiba Laptop with 500 gb hard drive and 4 gb RAM. as for my graghics card I have no clue what type it is or what it will handle, but I think it will probably do the job. I really don't know much about such things.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013. 

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well, few tutorials will tell you everything. Pehaps you could ask questions here when you hit a roadblock. Maybe the book is the best place to start. Was written for high school students who knew nothing about Blender.

Laurie

Agent0013 ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:13 PM

Quote - > Quote - Yeah, that's the one Robyn. They moved the old page. Couldn't find it to save my life...lol. Ugh. ;)

Laurie

Hate it when they leave without a forwarding address... not impressed with the IT dept of that school. :blink: oh well, at least that resource is still around. It is excellent!

Just watching young, frenetic Jonathan Williamson's tutorial on CGCookie (BlenderCookie) on modelling the body. Lots of stop/start/backup/start/stop/wait-that-was/huh? :m_think: :m_tired:

I know what you mean with the stop/start/backup/start/stop/wait-that-was/huh?

I have that problem with a lot of tutorials. It is why I prefer to go with the document forms of tutorials. I have also discovered that a lot of the tutorials are misleading at times. I hate to undo a long list of steps because the tutorial left one out only to say later "Oh! I meant to mention...".

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:30 PM

Quote - Blender Basics 4th Edition is here. 2.5 is still relevant to 2.6

Laurie

Thanks for this info. I'll check it out as soon as I can. When I first downloaded Blender 2.6, I searched for relevant instructional documents. All I could find was an intro to a manual that is outdated and not useful with 2.6, and a hotkeys and shortcuts list that is at least 90% useful as most of them work with 2.6. It seems that a lot of these programs change drastically with certain upgrades.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:48 PM

I downloaded the Blender Basics 4th Edition. I like that it is in PDF format. Perhaps now I will have a way to get back when things get dark. This can be the light that guide me,...I hope. Even so, I am keeping this thread open just in case I run into a snag. I want to be able to ask questions if I get stumped.

Stay awesome.

Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 11:56 AM

How can I use the materials and surfacing feature to put text on my models? I know about creating text objects but getting them to wrap to the curvature of a model is a real pain. So far I've only used it to put text on flat surfaces. Even so they have to be slightly above the surface to be fully visible, and that creates a shadow of the text. Now in some cases that may be okay, but in others I don't want that effect. Being able to apply the text directly to the surface would be much better. I know it probably involves the UV Mapping feature, but it would be fantastic to be able to do that and make the text lay across curved and folded surfaces. I would also like to use any font I have available.

Stay awesome.

Agent 0013.

Check out this piece I recently created using Blender and Bryce. The model was mostly done in Blender, with boolean operations done in Bryce. The background and the render was also done in Bryce. Let me know what you think.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 11:59 AM

How can I use the materials and surfacing feature to put text on my models? I know about creating text objects but getting them to wrap to the curvature of a model is a real pain. So far I've only used it to put text on flat surfaces. Even so they have to be slightly above the surface to be fully visible, and that creates a shadow of the text. Now in some cases that may be okay, but in others I don't want that effect. Being able to apply the text directly to the surface would be much better. I know it probably involves the UV Mapping feature, but it would be fantastic to be able to do that and make the text lay across curved and folded surfaces. I would also like to use any font I have available.

Stay awesome.

Agent 0013.

Check out this piece I recently created using Blender and Bryce. The model was mostly done in Blender, with boolean operations done in Bryce. The background and the render was also done in Bryce. Let me know what you think.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 1:17 PM
Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:34 PM

I'm having WiFi problems for now. Tried uploading the picture three times already and the connection is not letting it through. I'll try again later this evening. Sorry about that, and the double posted message. Connection problems happen all the time around here, and I have no control over that.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:39 PM

Sorry for the doubled posting. My WiFi connection is acting screwy. Also it appears the pic did not upload. I'll give it another go. Maybe this time it will get through.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 6:51 PM

Okay, here I go again. I'm crossing my fingers. I hope it will upload this time. This, (I hope), is the picture of which I mentioned earlier. 

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 7:03 PM

Okay, here I go again. I'm crossing my fingers. I hope it will upload this time. This, (I hope), is the picture of which I mentioned earlier. 

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 7:03 PM

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 9:03 AM

file_485334.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! So here goes my umpteenth attempt!

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quote - If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! So here goes my umpteenth attempt!

Well it made it in this time! The WiFi here can be a real pain at certain times of the day.

As I posted before, this was done using Blender as the main modeller, and Bryce for Boolean operations, background composition, and rendering. This is a modified aspect ratio and reduced size image. The original is 4000 x 2250 px in size for a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. That is the size I use for most of my work, as it will fit a fairly large wide screen monitor.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 3:57 PM

Quote - First question: how old is your graphics card? Does it support CUDA? If so, that will have an impact on materials, since you will then be able to use Cycles, which employs a different set of materials to Blender Internal.

And there is only one reason i can think of to not download the latest version of Blender - after all, it is free - and that is bandwidth. The current stable version is 2.63a. It has dramatic improvements over 2.61. Download size is roughly 35 meg, IIRC. Be sure to download for your OS and OS type (32 vs 64 bit).

I'm looking to download the 2.63a version, but before I do this, I would like some questions answered.

Do I need to uninstall any previous version first, or does it auto detect the previous version and prompt you on what to do when it is downloaded and installed?

Will I be able to transfer my existing Blender files to the new version? How is that taken care of?

Is the interface still like it is in the earlier versions of 2.6?

The reasons I am asking these questions is because at least the DAZ 3D software will  detect the older versions and help you to make the transition from it to the new one smoothly. Also, any files and content that you have in the earlier versions of the DAZ 3D software will be automatically transferred to the new versions. I'm hoping this is the case with Blender as well. I do a lot of file rearranging on my PC already to help me keep things organized and easy to find. Any help I can get that will keep me from having to do some of that work is most welcome. It allows me to spend more time doing what I enjoy; creating art.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 5:26 PM

If you have your workflow designed a specific way, the new install will detect it and in the first splash dialogue you can choose to import those settings. Otherwise, there is no significant difference in how Blender looks and acts, except that if your graphics card supports it, you now have access to a new internal render engine Cycles and also BMesh.

I suggest you get on to BlenderArtists.org and have a wee sticky-beak there about these new features. I personally love them. Some don't. But they are now a part of Blender (more BMesh than Cycles) so it's a force to contend with. If that doesn't float your boat, you can always stay with a version that works for you.

Metaphor of Chooks

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 9:14 PM

Quote - If you have your workflow designed a specific way, the new install will detect it and in the first splash dialogue you can choose to import those settings. Otherwise, there is no significant difference in how Blender looks and acts, except that if your graphics card supports it, you now have access to a new internal render engine Cycles and also BMesh.

I suggest you get on to BlenderArtists.org and have a wee sticky-beak there about these new features. I personally love them. Some don't. But they are now a part of Blender (more BMesh than Cycles) so it's a force to contend with. If that doesn't float your boat, you can always stay with a version that works for you.

So what about the upcoming release? Do you think it will be worth a wait? They are already offering a test version for us to try if we want. I figure if it has all the new features you mentioned 2.63 having, it couldn't hurt to go for it. But as it is a test version, certain features may still be inaccessible. They are expecting to release the actual 2.64 version in September, and at any rate I don't think that is too long to wait.

It seems that because Blender is an open source program, (which can be and is constantly improved by people all over the world), it is the fastest advancing digital art software available. New releases have already come three or four, (maybe even 5 or six), times since I downloaded my version not even a year ago. I can't think of any other software program of any type that has advanced that fast. It just goes to show how the freedom for anybody to contribute to the improvement of something can work far better than keeping the right to do the same thing confined to a select few.

Please excuse my excitement over such an awesome concept.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 10:56 PM

Wait? Why wait? It's not like an upgrade will cost you anything: it's exactly the same programme, with slightly better features (well, significantly, really - but not from a common-use standpoint).

I've got the ppa listed among my list of Linux upgrades, so I always have the latest-greatest. Gotta love it. Just wish i could upgrade this laptop's graphics card, but maybe that's for the best... a bit of extra work, and the fan goes like crazy. Older cheapy laptop, so I don't tax it much. But it still runs the latest version of Blender.... just can't do anything with Cycles except set stuff up.

Metaphor of Chooks

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:28 AM

Quote - Wait? Why wait? It's not like an upgrade will cost you anything: it's exactly the same programme, with slightly better features (well, significantly, really - but not from a common-use standpoint).

I've got the ppa listed among my list of Linux upgrades, so I always have the latest-greatest. Gotta love it. Just wish i could upgrade this laptop's graphics card, but maybe that's for the best... a bit of extra work, and the fan goes like crazy. Older cheapy laptop, so I don't tax it much. But it still runs the latest version of Blender.... just can't do anything with Cycles except set stuff up.

Okay, I'll go for it. I'll also look into the ppa being listed among my Windows upgrades. Thanks for bringing my attention to that. As quickly as new versions are coming out, it gets a little daunting to go looking for them when there is so much else to do.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

heddheld ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 10:08 AM

dont know if the ppa will work with windoze (RV is a linux fan) but can get builds off graphicall or buildbot, there good for testing out new stuff but have to warn you sometimes thenew stuff breaks the old stuff ;-) ps grab the zips not the exe files blender dosn't have to be installed and will work from anywhere

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 6:56 PM

Quote - dont know if the ppa will work with windoze (RV is a linux fan) but can get builds off graphicall or buildbot, there good for testing out new stuff but have to warn you sometimes thenew stuff breaks the old stuff ;-) ps grab the zips not the exe files blender dosn't have to be installed and will work from anywhere

I just installed the new version and it took the place of my older version without a hitch. It seems to be working pretty well. I did have to tell it where to save my blend files but that's not a problem at all. I would rather navigate to the folder myself anyway, as it lets me decide where I want it.

I mostly use Blender for model creations for use in other programs, of which I have a fair amount. For modelling, nothing beats Blender, although Hexagon may be on the same level. I understand Blender more than Hexagon though.

As I wrote in an earlier posting for this thread, I like to use multiple programs to create many of my models. The reason is that certain operation produce a desired effect more easily than others. Blender does complexity really well. I tried modelling a jet engine turbo fan and Blender pulled it of like a champ.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about the ppa. Apparently you are right about that. Still, I can setup a way to be notified when new versions are released.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 7:09 PM

Quote - As I wrote in an earlier posting for this thread, I like to use multiple programs to create many of my models. The reason is that certain operation produce a desired effect more easily than others. Blender does complexity really well. I tried modelling a jet engine turbo fan and Blender pulled it of like a champ.

That's a sound approach. No one programme can be all things for all people and indeed, some features - even if they exist in Blender - are more refined in other apps (thinking of UV-mapping, my least-favourite thing to do).

And yes, I'm a Linux ... um ... proponent? :lol: use it for most stuff except running Poser and PS3. Currently loving Mint 13 Maya... it's the Ubuntu Canonical failed to deliver. 😉

Metaphor of Chooks

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 7:45 PM

Quote - > Quote - As I wrote in an earlier posting for this thread, I like to use multiple programs to create many of my models. The reason is that certain operation produce a desired effect more easily than others. Blender does complexity really well. I tried modelling a jet engine turbo fan and Blender pulled it of like a champ.

That's a sound approach. No one programme can be all things for all people and indeed, some features - even if they exist in Blender - are more refined in other apps (thinking of UV-mapping, my least-favourite thing to do).

And yes, I'm a Linux ... um ... proponent? :lol: use it for most stuff except running Poser and PS3. Currently loving Mint 13 Maya... it's the Ubuntu Canonical failed to deliver. 😉

Mint 13 Maya? Perhaps I should look into that one.

A quick question for you: Do you have any products you created uploaded to Renderosity or other sites? I would like to see them if you do. It is great to be able to communicate with someone from halfway around the world. The perks of the internet. 

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 5:11 PM

file_485454.jpg

I do have products in the marketplace, but they are - to me - from so long ago that they no longer particularly relevant, since I've gone in other directions since then. I'm currently working on a figure following a [tutorial from BlenderCookie](http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/06/14/modeling-the-female-body-series-part-04/): the subscription membership there is about the best investment I think I've made, except for perhaps Nature Academy by Andrew Price. It will be a while before it's ready for anyone to play with. I work full-time as a nurse, and so between that and housework and family there isn't much time to play. But, it's happening, albeit slowly.

Metaphor of Chooks

Agent0013 ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 7:08 PM

The piece you posted looks as thought it is going to be awesome. Can't wait to see it done. I hope you will upload the completed work for us to see and appreciate.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 5:06 PM

I'll post them, certainly. Thank you for your kind words. I'm actually re-doing the ear again... the whole topology thing is significantly more involved than it first appeared. And this is on a part of an object that isn't going to neccessarily deform much: the abdomen, legs, bum, hands, face... those areas are really going to need careful reflection to make the topology as bend/deform-friendly as possible.

So, it might be a while... 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 12:04 AM

Quote - I'll post them, certainly. Thank you for your kind words. I'm actually re-doing the ear again... the whole topology thing is significantly more involved than it first appeared. And this is on a part of an object that isn't going to neccessarily deform much: the abdomen, legs, bum, hands, face... those areas are really going to need careful reflection to make the topology as bend/deform-friendly as possible.

So, it might be a while... 😄

All great pieces take a fair amount of time. Patience will allow you to persevere; and when you have it done to your satisfaction, you will feel a great sense of accomplishment. There's nothing else like that feeling. 

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 12:15 AM

Okay, here is the situation at this time. I have found a few good tutorials that teach how to create the UV maps for my models. Some deal with the unwrapping, in which you basically unfold the object so that it lays flat on the UV mapping template, (I'm not sure if template is the right word, but it seems to be the best word I can think of). They also deal with the creation of the map and exporting it for use in any of the image map or photo editing programs.

Now what I need is to find out how to assign the image maps so that they show up on the actual model itself in Blender. After doing that I need to know how to export the model with all materials and textures and decals applied so that they can be imported intact into other 3D art applications. 

I have gotten to the point at which I can create the maps, lay them out on the template,  assign materials, and import an image map. The problem is getting it to show on the model. I looked at every menu I could find at this stage, and every tool in the tool bars. The dropdown menus have several things listed that I am unable to comprehend. There are no descriptions telling what each item in the list is for, or how they work. When I choose one I get undesired results, which only serves to increase my confusion. Nothing I have found thus far gets the image onto the model. I thought maybe rendering an image would do it, but that did not work either.

If anybody can point me in the right direction from where my progress is at, it will be much appreciated.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013

heddheld ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 2:12 AM

From what you have said you seem to be doing most of it right ;-), so its probably just a box you have forgot to tick. If you can make a blend file with just a cube,umwrapped an mats~textures on (dunno if you can post a blend here but theres dropbox etc) then I can see what bit you have wrong and tell you lol .

Once you  have uv mapped something thats it, its done! the map is saved in the obj on export(make sure the box is ticked~include uv's~ in the export options) , BUT if you make any changes to the mesh then it will need re mapping

You dont say if your using cycles or BI, the method of appying ~previewing is a bit dif and the end results will be a lot different, cycles is awesome but theres a few things it wont render(and you cant bake from cycles). Now exporting then importing to another proggy will always need the mats/textures "tweaking" it depends on the programs you import to, eg poser(P7) will have the name of an image texture but wont load it untill you go in posers mat room an reload it, procedual mats will always need a lot of tweaking 'cos all proggys do them a slighty different way

BlenderGuru has excelent tuts on uvmapping an materials

hope thats helped a bit

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 4:46 AM

The other thing you might want to try is with Blender Render selected (if you have Cycles Render in your list of renderers, that is), hit 'N' with the cursor in the 3D View viewport. Scroll down to the 'Display' option and open it. Under shading, choose GLSL. I've found that seems to work best.

Metaphor of Chooks

keppel ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 6:22 AM
Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quote - From what you have said you seem to be doing most of it right ;-), so its probably just a box you have forgot to tick. If you can make a blend file with just a cube,umwrapped an mats~textures on (dunno if you can post a blend here but theres dropbox etc) then I can see what bit you have wrong and tell you lol .

Once you  have uv mapped something thats it, its done! the map is saved in the obj on export(make sure the box is ticked~include uv's~ in the export options) , BUT if you make any changes to the mesh then it will need re mapping

You dont say if your using cycles or BI, the method of appying ~previewing is a bit dif and the end results will be a lot different, cycles is awesome but theres a few things it wont render(and you cant bake from cycles). Now exporting then importing to another proggy will always need the mats/textures "tweaking" it depends on the programs you import to, eg poser(P7) will have the name of an image texture but wont load it untill you go in posers mat room an reload it, procedual mats will always need a lot of tweaking 'cos all proggys do them a slighty different way

BlenderGuru has excelent tuts on uvmapping an materials

hope thats helped a bit

Unfortunately I did not save the .blend file I was practicing on, because after clicking on some of the dropdown options I could not find my way back to the point at which I had the unwrapped mesh pasted on the square UV map template. I know I should save often, but during the learning process it is something that doesn't get done like it should. Because I do not plan to keep practice files I don't normally save them. Also when I am following a tutorial, most of them never use the save during the video, and the document style almost never prompts a save either. My mind being on the task at hand pushes saving to the back.

I do know about exporting the UV map with the object, but there is a way to apply the image map to the UV map which pastes it onto the object. Once this is done, exporting the object should take the "skin" (as I call it) along with it. There are models I have downloaded that were created, UV mapped, and "skinned" in Blender which will import into Bryce, Hexagon, Wings3D, and DAZ Studio with all materials, textures, and decals in place. I know this because I have tested it. This is what I am trying to learn how to do. 

On the subject of Cycles or BI: I just recently upgraded to 2.63a and I am not to the point of learning about the rendering options yet. Also, the baking process is something I haven't any experience with. Is that something that needs to be done for a simple single mesh object, or is it for multiple mesh objects only? According to one of the tutorials the separate meshes are joined and then the materials and textures are baked. That part of the tutorial was unclear to me. I haven't found out what baking does yet. Perhaps I still have a long way to go.

keppel ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quote in parts - Agent 0013
"Now what I need is to find out how to assign the image maps so that they show up on the actual model itself in Blender...

I have gotten to the point at which I can create the maps, lay them out on the template,  assign materials, and import an image map. The problem is getting it to show on the model...

I thought maybe rendering an image would do it, but that did not work either."

*If you have rendered an image and it doesn't show the textures then that indicates that they have not been applied to the model correctly.  Even if the textures do not appear in your viewports they will still be rendered if properly applied.

In the picture I linked to in my post above I have added panels just so you could see all the areas that need attention.

These are the steps you need to be going through.  Let us know at which point things are not working.

1. Create model
  2. Un wrap model
  3. Export models UV map template
  4. Paint on UV map template (GIMP, Photoshop, etc)
  5. Save new painted texture
  6. Select model and create/assign a material to the model (see picture in my post above)
  7. Create texture (see my picture in post above)
  8. Choose "Image or Movie" (see my picture in post above)
  9. Load your new painted texture (see my picture in post above)
  10. In Mapping type choose "UV" (see my picture in post above)

If these steps have been done correctly you will see the applied texture in the material and texures preview windows.  If you have lights and cameras setup in your scene rendering now will generate an image with the textures applied.

To see the applied textures in the viewport windows you need to have "Texture" selected as the viewport shading type and GLSL selected in the Display type.  Pressing "N" opens the panel to select the display type (see my picture in post above).  Make sure there are lights in your scene otherwise all you will see is a black model.

To export your model choose .obj as the format type and make sure that export uvs and write materials are selected.  The material file (.mtl) created when you export your model contains the file path information to your textures.  Normally if you just include the image files in the same folder as the .obj file then when you import the model into another program the textures will be applied.

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 11:18 PM

Quote - Quote in parts - Agent 0013
"Now what I need is to find out how to assign the image maps so that they show up on the actual model itself in Blender...

I have gotten to the point at which I can create the maps, lay them out on the template,  assign materials, and import an image map. The problem is getting it to show on the model...

I thought maybe rendering an image would do it, but that did not work either."

*If you have rendered an image and it doesn't show the textures then that indicates that they have not been applied to the model correctly.  Even if the textures do not appear in your viewports they will still be rendered if properly applied.

In the picture I linked to in my post above I have added panels just so you could see all the areas that need attention.

These are the steps you need to be going through.  Let us know at which point things are not working.

1. Create model
  2. Un wrap model
  3. Export models UV map template
  4. Paint on UV map template (GIMP, Photoshop, etc)
  5. Save new painted texture
  6. Select model and create/assign a material to the model (see picture in my post above)
  7. Create texture (see my picture in post above)
  8. Choose "Image or Movie" (see my picture in post above)
  9. Load your new painted texture (see my picture in post above)
  10. In Mapping type choose "UV" (see my picture in post above)

If these steps have been done correctly you will see the applied texture in the material and texures preview windows.  If you have lights and cameras setup in your scene rendering now will generate an image with the textures applied.

To see the applied textures in the viewport windows you need to have "Texture" selected as the viewport shading type and GLSL selected in the Display type.  Pressing "N" opens the panel to select the display type (see my picture in post above).  Make sure there are lights in your scene otherwise all you will see is a black model.

To export your model choose .obj as the format type and make sure that export uvs and write materials are selected.  The material file (.mtl) created when you export your model contains the file path information to your textures.  Normally if you just include the image files in the same folder as the .obj file then when you import the model into another program the textures will be applied.

This is the most concise and to the point instruction I have yet seen in any posting I have viewed! None of the tutorials I have seen are anywhere near as clear as this, and the high resolution picture you provided points everything out precisely. Thank you Keppel, for this advice. I will practice this until I am familiar with all of the steps and can perform each in its proper order. I'm sure other beginners can benefit from your post as well, so I encourage them to look at it too.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2012 at 3:36 AM

I heartily endorse the Blender Basics book.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.