Mon, Sep 23, 8:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: CRC check failed - Anyone getting this error when trying to unzip a Renderosity

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 10:56 AM

Downloaded & extracted the test file with NO issues:

1.  Who is your ISP? Comcast
  2.  What type of Service do you have (dial-up, dsl, cable, etc)? Hi-SPD Cable
    3)  What OS do you run and what version and service packs? XP Pro x64 w/latest SP's
    4)  What software is used to Unzip the file?  (version & service packs) WInZIP 9.0 SR1
    5)  Do you use any type of download manager? None
  3.  What Anti-virus software are you running? AVG8(Full version)
    7)  What is the file size stated on Bondware before downloading and what is the file size your computer has after downloading (but before trying to unzip)? N/A
  4. What browser do you use? Firefox 3.0

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 11:21 AM

hmmm, got my reply box back in Opera.
Odd that it does that.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Mitzibear ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 11:29 AM

Well I use to could not see the reply box in FF but now I can. Everything about this is weird if you as me lol. I just want my products I paid for. I have one thanks to the generous vendor but sadly I still can't get the other.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 12:12 PM

Quote - Well I use to could not see the reply box in FF but now I can. Everything about this is weird if you as me lol. I just want my products I paid for. I have one thanks to the generous vendor but sadly I still can't get the other.

Just a thought.

Have you tried downloading them using a different computer, one that has a different firewall and virus scanner? 

if you are able to download from another computer but not your own, then it would seem that the problem is something on your computer, likely settings to your firewall or virus scanner.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Momcat ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 12:59 PM

I've already been through all of this.  I suspect that the programmers are correct about this being a routing issue, especially where the packet loss is concerned.  I could be wrong, but I don't think firewalls or browsers cause packet loss.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 2:05 PM

the site somehow disabled or deleted the download manager function in an older copy of
netscape that I sometimes used on a machine with no firewall, meaning said browser can no
longer complete any downloads from any site, including this one.  I know said browser is not
supported, but haven't the foggiest how it managed to rewrite the browser code, somewhat like
a worm.  IMVHO a firewall is mandatory if the new site software is trying to rewrite the client's
browser modules, or other client-side software.

otherwise, on a more secure machine with hardware and software firewalls, the site software
hasn't been able to do any damage to my other browsers (explorer, safari, firefox), although
of course the html editor (reply box) doesn't work properly in any of them.

Momcat ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 2:23 PM

I find it difficult to believe that (a) it's even possible for site software to rewrite or modify anything on ones browser. (b) even if it were possible, that it would have any legitimate purpose to so such a thing.  I may have some issues with how Renderosity applies its policies, but I seriously doubt that they would go out of their way to do nefarious things to my web browser, including trackers.  In all my years as a member of Renderosity, I have never found any evidence of malicious code on the site.

AFAIK, NOTHING was done to modify the software that caused this problem.  This has to do with a routing issue.  The site was moved to a new server on Monday. Since then, some members are experiencing packet loss during downloading.  This is causing all sorts of oddities for a few of us.
I really don't think there is anything we can do on our end, except be patient, and let the tech folks sort it out.

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 2:27 PM

thank you for that reply Momcat...

all the replies I drafted would have broken the TOS ;)

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 3:08 PM

Yes...what momcat said!    :m_bouncy:

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2008 at 4:46 PM

just to reassure y'all, it occurred to me that the download manager for the particular
user (me) of the aforementioned browser may have been disabled by some other site or action,
hence no need for concern.  it was likely just a coincidence that the download manager for
that user of that browser was disabled around the same time as the site problems (if any)
developed. 

I just tried the same browser on the same machine with a different user (standard mac
troubleshooting technique) and said browser's download manager is o.k. after visiting this
site.  if any folks are experiencing download problems from here, I daresay they'll set it right
ASAP.  I just tried to download the floribunda freebie and it downloaded/expanded o.k.

Madmachine ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 2:41 PM

Ok, this is getting kind of annoying.  I have yet to have one completed uncorrupt download from the store since its opened.  I don't have problems like this on any other site I go to.  Garbled pages, garbled images, and garbled zip files.  The latter is constant, the other two irregular but showing up too often for my liking.  And another symptom is that downloads seem to be moving at a fairly sluggish pace for My connection.

Here is what we need to know from everyone having the problem:

1.  Who is your ISP?  Comcast
  2.  What type of Service do you have (dial-up, dsl, cable, etc)? 10 Mbs Cable
    3)  What OS do you run and what version and service packs? XP pro, service packs 2 and 3
    4)  What software is used to Unzip the file?  (version & service packs)  Winzip, WinAce, PowerArchiver, and windows explorer
    5)  Do you use any type of download manager? NO
  3.  What Anit-virus software are you running? McAfee
    7)  What is the file size stated on Bondware before downloading and what is the file size your computer has after downloading (but before trying to unzip)? These always seem to be close enough that I can't tell if there is a difference
  4. What browser do you use?  IE 7

Momcat ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 2:58 PM

Can you please clarify your statement of "since its opened"?
The RMP has been open for several years.  If you've been having troubles for that long, there is probably something else going on in your case, either separate issue, or in addition to the current troubles.  The situation under discussion in this thread has to do with a routing issue for some customers, involving packet loss, caused by something that happened on Monday June 23, 2008, during a server transition.

Madmachine ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 2:59 PM

Oops sorry. since the IP changed, not opened.  D'oh

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 3:40 PM

OK, I admit it ... I was bored.  [grin]

I did another 6 downloads of the test ZIP file in addition to the one I did a few days ago.  I used Netscape 7.2 for 3 of the downloads and Internet Exploiter 7 for the second 3 downloads. 

I couldn't find any of those 7 downloads would uncompress and allow the PDF to be viewed ... I couldn't even find any 2 of the 7 that even had the same error ... that is, I couldn't find any 2 files that would compare as equal using the file compare command (FC from a command window). 

This is a very simple test that your programmers and/or network admins could run both from your LAN or also from some other location.  I don't know if your servers are located in your office space or not ... but if you can download and expand the file when you are on the same physical LAN as the servers but not otherwise ... this problem is something your ISP is doing ... OTOH, if it's always bad, then it's something to do with your servers. 

If what I wrote here isn't clear, please have your programmers and/or network admins contact me directly. 

--
Martin
p.s. In an earlier message in this thread, you already have the details about my setup, ISP, ...

Khai ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 4:25 PM

except, you've missed the post where I let them know it downloaded fine here.. which if it was the servers, would not happen...

FrankT ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 4:28 PM
  1.  Who is your ISP? - Virgin Media
  2.  What type of Service do you have (dial-up, dsl, cable, etc)? - Cable - 2Mb
    3)  What OS do you run and what version and service packs? - Windows XP Media Center SP2
    4)  What software is used to Unzip the file?  (version & service packs) - Windows Built in
    5)  Do you use any type of download manager? - No
  3.  What Anit-virus software are you running? McAfee TVD
    7)  What is the file size stated on Bondware before downloading and what is the file size your computer has after downloading (but before trying to unzip)? - 11.6Mb
  4. What browser do you use? - Firefox 2.0.0.14

I had no problems downloading or unzipping the file

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:19 PM

I see that Khai raised an important observation,

except, you've missed the post where I let them know it downloaded fine here
... which if it was the servers, would not happen...

True

... OTOH perhaps I'm channeling  Inspector Clouseau who sometimes began an investigation saying, I suspect everyone and I suspect no one.  [grin]

--
Martin

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:44 PM

file_409210.jpg

... and, then just a few minutes later, I got one of these messed-up web pages ...

--
Martin

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:46 PM

file_409212.jpg

Hmmmmmm those weren't the colors in the jpg I uploaded ... let's see what happens if I upload the same image again ...

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:48 PM

file_409214.jpg

Here's the right half of the image ...

It would seem that something strange is going on with some uploads as well

--
Martin

Momcat ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:49 PM

The color thing will come and go at random.  You are the only one seeing it like that.
If you leave the site and then come back to this page it may look diffrent.  Nothing is happening to attachments being uploaded, it's all in the downloading.

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:50 PM

file_409215.jpg

Second try of the second image ...

(this is better and easier than a DiTi on the Photography Forum -- no effort at all ... and you get to see such pretty colors!)

--
Martin

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:51 PM

No he is not the only one seeing the site like that.  I'm seeing it spread like that with garbled code as well. A refresh usually brings it back, sometimes it takes 2x's.

I'm also getting partially loaded and corrupt looking images generally in the marketplace and the gallery.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:56 PM · edited Sun, 29 June 2008 at 5:59 PM

Yup.  What 3-DArena said. 

--
Martin

Momcat ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 6:09 PM

That's not what I meant.
He keeps referring to the image he uploaded as looking different than what he uploaded.
My point is that I don't think that the graphics anomalies appear the same for everyone at the same time, because the image he uploaded, while it was a screencap of a garbled screen, had no color anomalies that I could see.  I have also had these anomalies, and then returned to the same image later on and it would be fine.  Another view..after leaving and returning, might yield yet a different anomaly.

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 6:30 PM

I see that Momcat wrote,

The color thing will come and go at random. 

... and also,

You are the only one seeing it like that.

Ahhhhhhh ... you have contradicted yourself ... if you know, "The color thing will come and go at random" ... then you must have seen it yourself (or been told about it by someone else) ... therefore, how could you also say, "You are the only one seeing it like that"?

OTOH, (In any case) how could you possibly assert that I am, "the only one seeing it like that"?
IOW, what kind of statistical sample would 'prove' your second statement to be true? 

Here's the bottom line ... I've worked with all aspects of LANs for a total of close to 20 years.  In addition, I have about 12 years of Data Communications Systems Design in my background.  That 32 years of experience was at all levels: system. protocol, specify, design, implement, and debug right down to the bit level.

One of the worst things anyone can do when facing an elusive issue like this one is to dismiss some of the observations without proof ... and misslead the people who are supposed to fix it. 

--
Martin

Momcat ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:23 PM · edited Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:24 PM

file_409221.jpg

OK, obviously I am having difficulty communicating.

You are correct.  I have no way of knowing if you are the only person seeing it like that.  I was not successful in communication what I wanted to get across, and likely misunderstanding what you were trying to say.

I was under the impression that you were referring to what appear to be color changes in the images you uploaded.
If that was not the case, then I have no idea what specifically you were referring to.

If it was:
Did it look anything like this? (image too big..didn't post the first time)

Larry F ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:24 PM

1.  Who is your ISP? - comcast (comcast.net)
  2.  What type of Service do you have (dial-up, dsl, cable, etc)? - Cable broadband 100 Mbps
    3)  What OS do you run and what version and service packs? - Windows XP 32 bit, SP 2
    4)  What software is used to Unzip the file?  (version & service packs)  - WinZip 8.1 SR-1 (build 5266)
    5)  Do you use any type of download manager? - No
  3.  What Anit-virus software are you running? - AVG 8.0 Pro
    7)  What is the file size stated on Bondware before downloading and what is the file size your computer has after downloading (but before trying to unzip)? Unknown - exceeded DLs TWICE, not installed yet.
  4. What browser do you use? Firefox 2.0.0.14.

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:29 PM

MGD, does the page hash just in Netscape, or does it do this in any browser you try?

Larry F ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:46 PM
  1. What is your ISP?  www.comcast.net.
  2. What type of service do you have?  Cable broadband 100 Mbps.
  3. What OS do you run, etc? XP Home SP 2
  4. What software is used to unzip?  WAS Winzip freebie 8.*.  BOUGHT current Winzp 11.2 (8094) - GOT THE SAME EXACT (bad) RESULT!S!
  5. Do you use any type of download manager?  Only the Downloads in FIrefox 2.0.0.14.
  6. What Antivirus are you running?  AVG8.0 Pro AND turned on web shield.  NO help!
  7. What is file size before and after?  Don't know before - exceeded DLs again.  AFTER is 16,581 kb.
  8. Boowsers = Firefox 2.0.0.14 and IE 7.0.5730.11.

Posted this before, but did not seem to "take".  Sorry for any duplication.

Larry F

Larry F ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:48 PM

Furthermore, for about a week I have been getting those godawful image displays - USUALLY the top part of the image is okay, but the bottom looks like crap!

Momcat ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:52 PM

Welcome to the club.
Here's a new one: The top navigation bar at RDNA is non-existent for me now.  Can anyone else see it?

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:54 PM

I can see it, but earlier today the forum textbox was gone again.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

Momcat ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 7:57 PM

::sigh::  I hope they can get this fixed soon.  I wonder how many of us there actually are.  I'm very interested in knowing what the common denominator is here.

featherwitch ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 8:05 PM

Quote - ::sigh::  I hope they can get this fixed soon.  I wonder how many of us there actually are.  I'm very interested in knowing what the common denominator is here.

Me too, Momcat! I've tried downloading older purchases- both here and at RDNA- still the same mess. I've downloaded purchases from other non- Bondware sites (zip format) and they work fine. I, too, see the funky images like the one you posted. Wonder if the Bondware people are off for the weekend...?  Guess we just sit and wait....  :o/

Larry F ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 8:05 PM

Well, I hadn't seen that forum bar thingy at RDNA but I did re-D/L some old purchases from there and THEY WOULD NOT UNZIP!  Of course, I think this must mean that I will not be buying anything from a Bondware site for a bit.  Spent the greater part of today trying to install a purchase I made today with no luck.  Debbie M was very gracious in trying to help me, though, and I appreciate that.

This will likely be sorted out in a bit, though we may not know what the "common denominator" was.

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 8:06 PM

@Momcat

I am seeing both scrambled images (color messed up ... like your example) and also distorted web pages (per my examples)

@3-DArena

Today is the first time the forum text box was missing for me --- had to clear cache and reload 3-4 times to get this opportunity to post this message.  Anyone who knows my posting history will realize how distressing that would be for me ... that is, not being able to post a message [grin].  Also saw repeated warnings in IE about error in page ... many retries to get it to load without error. 

@scanmead

both kinds of problems (scrambled images and funky web page formats) are happening in both browsers. 

--
Martin

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 8:26 PM

I see that Momcat wondered about,

what the common denominator is here

IMO, it seems to attack larger files more than smaller files ... i.e., the longer the file, the more likely it will be inaccurate.  Other than that it seems to be somewhat random. 

Another point ... based on my 6 tests today (downloads), even though the downloaded file content is corrupt, the file size is unchanged in each test ... this suggests that the correct amount of data is being sent (file size, image size, ZIP file size) ... but incorrect values were being substituted at some point. 

This could be quite nasty to track down ... one strong possibility is a bad memory sitck in a router somewhere ... or a bad port, bad fiber splice, bad cross-connect cable ... so many interesting possibilities ... and not all of those possiblle hardware impairments are under the control of renderosity (bondware). 

--
Martin
p.s. As you might guess, I love to troubleshoot/debug ... hardware/software issues ... then again, my idea of fun ... might not be yours.  [grin]

Momcat ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 8:27 PM

@Larry and featherwitch:  I know that if you need anything from RDNA, that they will do whatever is necessary, including an alternate download link if that's the case, to get you your purchases, so don't be afraid to shop there at all.

featherwitch ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 8:54 PM

Thanks Momcat! It was actually the FaceShop upgrade that I was after that started the whole thing...So no $$ "lost" or anything. And yes, they were very helpful. :o)

Larry F ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 8:59 PM

Well thanks ever so much, Momcat, but I know those folks at RDNA are tops.  I just think I don't need any more aggravation around this type of issue right now - kind of  a low priority actually, given other more pressing matters around my house right now.  I did buy something from them that got  hung up through PayPal and they did practically jump through hoops to rectify.  Thanks again.

Larry F

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 10:39 PM
  1.  Who is your ISP? comcast

2.  What type of Service do you have (dial-up, dsl, cable, etc)?Cable broadband

3)  What OS do you run and what version and service packs?  XP home, sp3

4)  What software is used to Unzip the file?  (version & service packs) WinRAR 3.70

5)  Do you use any type of download manager? No

1.  What Anit-virus software are you running? McAfee

7)  What is the file size stated on Bondware before downloading and what is the file size your computer has after downloading (but before trying to unzip)? 11.6 MB listed in Firefox
download list, 12.1 MB in file folder.

1. What browser do you use? Firefox 3.0

Note: WinRAR was able to repair the ZIP, and the repaired version extracted properly.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 11:26 PM

I see that ockham seemed to have a success,

WinRAR was able to repair the ZIP, and the repaired version extracted properly.

That may be ... or may not be. 

I wouldn't trust those extracted files at all. 

If the ZIP was corrupted during the download and the winZIPintegrity checks determined that the ZIP file was corrupted, how could any other software possibly correct the extraction by 'guessing' the correct values?  HINT: corrupt ZIP file means the downloaded data included values which were invalid ... that would mean that the extracted file would also be invalid. 

IOW, it is not possible to get back the information that isn't there. 

--
Martin

AnnieD ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 12:02 AM

MGD...I have had files to open with winrar that winzip wouldn't open..that's why I don't use winzip anymore...
And...if you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about...I'm gonna smak ya!   :blink:

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

zai ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 2:11 AM

Has anyone considered the possibility that it may be an ISP issue in only one area? If the people having problems might tell us their basic location that might help...different ISPs perhaps but same backbone?

zai

Rendo Store | Freebies | RDNA Store

Larry F ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 3:53 AM

Sacramento, CA

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 5:44 AM

UK - no problems here

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

featherwitch ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 6:25 AM

Massachusetts...

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 8:08 AM

Georgia - no problems

Mitzibear ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 8:17 AM

Thanks for the Info on RDNA. I have sent A email the rendo requestinga refund of what I purchased. All except one item when the vendor here was nice enough to give me a another link to download it at :) But other then that I purchased my items thursday and contacted both vendors. Only one offered another way to download. So now I want a refund for that other item. I am unable to unzip it or use it at all cause of the site messing up. I just want my money back on my credit card. I will not be shopping here anymore till the site is fixed and even then who knows.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.