Mon, Sep 23, 11:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Important notice to Infinite Vista users

alexcoppo ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:01 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 11:17 AM

Yesterday I bought 7 Infinite and I installed it. Apparently everything went all right. The next time I cold booted the computer and started again Infinite I had to reactivate it again (therefore throwing away one activation attempt).

E-On support told me to run Infinite ALWAYS as administrator. This means that you should keep UAC enabled, mark the shortcut as Run As Administrator and stand Vista asking you EVERY time if you really want to run it as administrator.

Should you have UAC disabled, you have to remember to always run the shortcut as administrator (and everything you have to remember to do is a sure recipy for NOT rememebering it and messing up).

DO NOT RUN INFINITE RIGHT FROM THE INSTALL PROCEDURE BECAUSE DOING SO YOU WILL RUN IT AS NORMAL USER AND THROW AWAY ONE ACTIVATION ATTEMPT (I have done so and now I have no attempts left... :crying:).

During this weekend I will consider whether it is wise to keep investing time in a booby trapped program or whether to ask for a refund.

P.S.: E-On development delays were probably due to the time it took to teach english to some Iraqui ex-guerrillas consulting in the art of IED (improvised explosive devices) development and deployment :mad:.

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:08 AM

My experience is totally different from yours.

In the beginning, when I first installed Vue, and afterwards once or twice accidently, I ran Vue normally without the "run as administrator". Nothing bad happened and I didn't have to reactivate again. I only had some known problems inside the app itself.

Now I have UAC disabled and always "run as administrator". There's no questions from Vista. Vue runs fine and never had any activation problems.

Paula Sanders ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:38 AM

I have Vista 32 bit on my laptop and 64-bit on my desktop. Both are the ultimate versions.

Rutra wrote "Now I have UAC disabled and always "run as administrator". There's no questions from Vista. Vue runs fine and never had any activation problems".

I run it the same was as Rutra and have never had a problem withe reactivation or anything. I always install with admin rights as well.

sangelico ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:59 AM

This is a Vista thing, more than a Vue issue, but it is a pain in the neck, I agree.

You'll have problems with many programs on Vista if you don't install and run them as admin  because they won't be able to write to the registry or to Program Files. Microsoft needs to work on this one. The overall idea is good - protect system files - but the implementation is not very elegant at present.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:50 AM

I don't have any of these problems you say, I have run Vue 6 Infinite and Vue 7 Infinite on a Vista machine for over 12 Months. I run as administrator every time because I set it up right to begin with, i.e. automatically to run in Admin mode and my UAC has been off since day one!!
I've never had to reactivate, ever!

I don't need to do anything special, just double click on my Vue7Inf icon and that's it, up it comes!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

jc ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:54 AM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:59 AM

I'm sure glad I got XP Pro 64 for my latest system.

No issues whatsoever with Vue 7 Infinite, and I use it most days. Not even 1 crash a month (maybe 2 crashes total since V7 came out, and never a damaged scene or render). Only still scenes though, I don't animate. Also have not been using render cows.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:56 AM

*I'm sure glad I got XP Pro 64 for my latest system.

*Yea but there's nothing wrong with Vista and Vue, they play nicely together!! 

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

sangelico ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:54 AM

"Yea but there's nothing wrong with Vista and Vue, they play nicely together!!"

I agree - I'm a Vista (64-bit) and Vue fan myself. You just have to get used to Vista's "quirks", have lots of memory, and it all runs very smoothly.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:00 PM

Quote -
I'm sure glad I got XP Pro 64 for my latest system.

The problem is not Vista, the problem is that I was so stupid to shell out 495$ for a program with an obnoxious copy protection scheme.

Well, tomorrow I will decide what to do i.e. whether to ask a refund, and certainly be told to fuck off, or keep on, until the day Vue will tell me "Gotcha you idiot, now shell out another 895$ to buy me again!".

P.S.: Up to three weeks ago Carrara 7 Pro was on offer for 280$... is it possible to be more stupid than I am?

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:10 PM

Sorry, I don't understand... Vue seems to runs fine for everyone else with a similar configuration to yours, so I don't understand what's your problem exactly. Did you create this thread to ask for some kind of help from the rest of us who have no problems, or just to vent a bit? ;-)

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 2:01 PM

Quote - The problem is not Vista, the problem is that I was so stupid to shell out 495$ for a program with an obnoxious copy protection scheme.

Well, tomorrow I will decide what to do i.e. whether to ask a refund, and certainly be told to fuck off, or keep on, until the day Vue will tell me "Gotcha you idiot, now shell out another 895$ to buy me again!".

P.S.: Up to three weeks ago Carrara 7 Pro was on offer for 280$... is it possible to be more stupid than I am?

here we go again....

Vue works fine on my system, I made set my PC to run as Administrator , because I went and asked folk about such stuff, before getting a 64 bit system! :)

Why do you think I asked here? and also many other places too, about Vista?

Do your homework, don't blame Vue, for an annoying quirk of Vista. which MS put into Vista to try and stop all the nitwits out there who keep installing malware and viruses.

if you buy a manual gear car with high performance, and reverse it through your garage because YOU forgot to check it doesn't work like the automatic you're used to...so, who's to blame? the car maker, or you?
;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

ArtPearl ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 2:29 PM

Come on folks, perhaps you could show a bit of tolerance? I dont understand either why alexcoppo always complains about the various vue products. If he doent like it nobody is forcing him to use it.
But a bit of sympathy for v7 problems wouldnt hurt.  I havnt complained once about v6, I never submitted a ticket to e-on. I had very few crashes, and if I had problems I found it more practical to use a work around.
I only had v7 (complete) a couple of weeks and I had lots of problems. I learned how to submit tickets...hurray I have a new skill! A couple of them were apparantly fixed now - i'll have to wait for next patch and see.
Some I heard nothing yet. Today alone I already submitted 3. That is not a satisfactory situation. Surely you lucky guys who dont have problems can understand that?

I'm not writing for anyone to help me with these problems. Just to suggest that if you dont have anything to say to a person who is frustrated by the problems with v7 - ignore him, dont bite his head off. (Or mine.)

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:00 PM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:01 PM

IMO, nobody's biting anybody's head off. I simply asked what was alexcoppo's problem exactly, because I really couldn't understand it. His initial post in this thread, which was written as a kind of general warning to all Vue+Vista users, found no echoes in anybody else's experience replying to this thread. So, I was wondering what was his problem and if he wanted help or he simply wanted to vent. I don't classify this as biting anybody's head off, but I could be wrong.

Silverblade's post was simply stressing out what other posters had written before, that alexcoppo's problem is mainly related with Vista and not with Vue. So, again, no head being bitten off, as far as I can see.

But, anyway, on a side note, I would like to say that indeed I find somewhat annoying to read posts such as this: "Well, tomorrow I will decide what to do i.e. whether to ask a refund, and certainly be told to fuck off, or keep on, until the day Vue will tell me "Gotcha you idiot, now shell out another 895$ to buy me again!"."

There's 2 or 3 regular people on this forum that almost seem like they buy Vue just to have a chance to say something bad about it. I don't understand this attitude. If I had 10% of the problems these people have, I would have kissed Vue goodbye a long time ago. But in this case I would surely not announce it publicly and repeatedly because, given that so many people are happy about the very same version of Vue that I have combined with the very same version of OS, the public display of my problems could eventually become a public exposure of my incompetence in putting Vue to work properly.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:59 PM

If one writes "this program is crap" he is venting.

When one provides a recipy for losing one of the two activation attempts by simply doing something which is almost normal, i.e. running the program right from the instal procedure (action artually suggested by Infinite setup!) one is providing a specific warning about a serious bug.

When one reports the customer support response about the problem and the steps to mitigate it he is helping other users of the program.

When one adds some thought about the criticality of the overall copy protection system and its possible effects upon the legal use of the same, one is providing information that perspective users have (should have) the right to know before deciding which path to go.

Obviously, reporting such a crippling problem is not good for sales of the program and, provided that everybody here behaves as if  he/she has invested in E-On shares, I understand perfectly why my post has not been "warmly" received. If this is the problem, I have no trouble if the moderators remove this thread... actually, what do I gain from warning other peoples of the existence of a pit in which I have fallen? let them discover the thing the hard way (as I did)... at least I won't be alone in the pit.

Bye...

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 4:19 PM

alex, the suggestion of venting was regarded your 2nd post in this thread, not the 1st one. The non-"warm" reaction that you mention was to the 2nd post, not to the 1st one.
Your 1st post was a constructive one, your 2nd post was not. IMO, it is to be expected non-"warm" reactions to non constructive posts.

I, for one, have no e-on shares or any other relationship with this company other than being a happy customer.

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 3:32 AM

Alex, I didn't see anyone attacking you on here, merely peeps putting forward the assertion that you were incorrect in what you said!
Most of peoples troubles with Vista is because they don't understand that it works differently to previous versions of windows, it needs taming and adjusting before anything else!

Take my experience for instance with Vue7Inf, installed ok, ran ok [on Vista Ultimate 64], the only difference being that I had already switched off UAC and had my account to run as administartor and had set individual programmes to run in Admin mode too, because yea Vista can be quirky sometimes so you have tie it down, that's not Vue's fault!!

As for Vue bugs, yea in my view it's buggy, the "Hulk" issue being my biggest moan at the moment, but you know what, it's better to tell e-on about it and then something gets done [eventually]

I did have a problem with the activation code initially but that was me being dumb, nothing to do with Vista or Vue as it turned out, we all make mistakes eh!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Rids ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 4:48 AM

I installed Vue 7 Complete (64 bit)  to its own folder, not within program files folders and this bypasses Vista's UAC. If you do that then there is no need to run as administrator and everything works fine.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 5:38 AM

I have UAC off, and running Vue from the desktop shortcut, but not as admin. No problem.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 8:03 AM

Alex,
as folk note, your second psot, and many of your posts over the months, have been unpleasant or plain wrong at times.
You dropped the "f bomb" for example, heck I swear like a trooper in RL, the world doesn't bother me, it's using it on such a forum, that does upset folk, ya know? :)

You keep blaming Vue, while refusing to see Vista has problems if you don't watch what you are doing, and that EVERY major piece of software has copy protection crap.

I don't like having to go through the hoopla, but you do it for XSI, and with Lightwave you have a USB dongle, for Rhino every patch I have to sumbit details to even download the patch.

As for bugs, hehe go check other apps forums, you won't exaclty find the Carrara 7 user base singing prayers, ya know :D

It always seems to be:

a) Either a problem with a person's system. Some folk really do have atrocious problems, liek with MACs, but sometimes, it's a question f having a crappy system or one with a peculiarity that takes ages ot discover, like say, an out of date driver on a motherboard component.

or

b) They have a problem themselves, either by not accepting things are never perfect, or they don't check for ways to solve issues and blame everyone else.

There is seriously much MUCH worse things to blow off steam about in real life: look at how many are currenlty being laid off, never mind wars, illness, etc etc.

Vue is just a piece of art software. Always up to us, in the end, to get the best out of it, or cry in our beer, same with everything in life :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

alexcoppo ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 1:02 PM

Quote - Alex,
as folk note, your second psot, and many of your posts over the months, have been unpleasant or plain wrong at times.

Well, the solution to this problem is quite simple and I am going to implement it from now on.

Everybody rejoice, this is my last post.

GRA ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 5:19 AM

Well started vue again today after the latest updatesi thought this problem had gone away well it had for a month but today it wanted me to re register xp32 vue7inf

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 6:02 AM

Quote - > Quote - Alex,

Well, the solution to this problem is quite simple and I am going to implement it from now on.

Everybody rejoice, this is my last post.

Sigh, instead of martyring yourself, why not stick to doing what you can do well: good constructive work, but stop blaming Vue for every problem, especially when it's been proven otherwise. :)

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 7:41 PM · edited Mon, 02 February 2009 at 7:43 PM

Just for the record. If anyone uses up all their activations for a Vue product, they only need ask e-on to update the number allowed. I've done this at least twice that I can remember. It's no big deal.

It does however prevent someone from handing out tons of illegal copies of Vue and thousands of activations from taking place. I'm all in favor of this sort of copy protection-- much better than a hardware dongle, which other companies use. The hardware dongle can get stolen, lost, quit working, or may not be compatible with certain configurations.

Also, for the record, I don't think using the f*** word is ever appropriate for this forum.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 8:17 PM

Chipp, does it say anywhere on the e-on site that you can ask for more activations? I didnt see and I wish I knew that when I was installing! I had problems and I was panicking that I'll use up my allocation and will end up with spent money and nothing to show for it :(
Mind you, I wasnt going to stand fro it - just didnt want a confrontation.
Anyhow - thanks for the info, comforting to know:)

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."

Rutra ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 8:28 PM

Some months ago, when I changed hardware, I had to reactivate in the new machine (still Vue6 at the time). I emailed e-on support explaining that I wanted to install Vue6 in a new computer. They replied in a matter of hours saying that they allowed another activation. No questions asked. I activated without problems.

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 10:27 PM

Pnina,

I don't remember the exact reasons why I needed them, but they had to do with changing and upgrading computers. And I just assumed they didn't have a problem. After all, you purchase a license to use their program, not a fixed set of activation keys. In anycase, like Artur, my experience was a very good one. As I recall, they added another activation within hours.

Have to say, your last watercolor in your gallery is just stunning! For those who haven't had the pleasure, you might check out what an artist can do with REAL brushes! LOL

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1514541&member

ArtPearl ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 10:59 PM · edited Mon, 02 February 2009 at 11:04 PM

Attached Link: Rising Heat

I'm not really blaming e-on for their policy of activations, just the secrecy... and I suppose I was in a negative mood after trying to get out of them info about complete->infinite route. They were very polite, fairly quick, but more cagey than the secret service...

Chipp, thanks for your nice words about my paintings, I could use all possible encouragement...
The one you link to is actually the last I did more than a year ago, before I got too discouraged. My latest is the one in the link above after my new year resolution to start again. Vistors to my gallery are very welcome! (comments too:) )
Edit: Oh sorry, should add a warning -images include nudity.

GaryMiller ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 1:31 AM

I am so looking forward to Windows 7 coming out and their improvements to that stupid...do you want to run.... routine.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 4:47 AM

Gary,
Well Windows 7 is jsut Vista improved, really ;)
Vista is great IF, yeah, that caveat, you have a recent, decent specced mahcine, and know hwo to turn the UAC crap off :p

But then, many folk NEED the UAC because they are, um, less than skilled with computers...lad I know got a laptop, knows zip about computers...you can imagine the results, jeesh :D
I don't fix folk's PCs any more!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.