Sat, Sep 21, 2:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce 6 suggestion-list. Please everyone, tell your wishes for Bryce 6 here!

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 2:06 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:51 AM

I just read a message by Art_4 and he asked if there is any news about Bryce 6 yet. I figured that it would be nice to make a list of things we 'Renderosity-Brycers' would like to see in bryce. So lets all place our Bryce6-Wishlist uphere and maybe we can push Corel to include some of the things we would like to see.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 2:43 PM

Here's my wishlist for now: 1. The skylab is great so wy not make it the best on the market. Let's include the ability for multiple suns, planets, moons stellar nebula's and so on. It would be nice if you could import your own planet-, sun-, nebula-maps. More advanced things such as celestial objects interacting with each other. Like a black hole sucking stallar gas out of nearby stars/suns. The same thing can be used for systems with multiple suns. More advanced cloudmovement would be nice too. And how about more than two cloudlayers. Importing your own textures for stars and starmaps would be nice too. 2. The treelab should be modified so that you can import all kinds of props like flowers, fruits, different leafes, and of course some nice extra controls for these objects. Wind should be nice too, in order to animate the leafes. A separate mode for smaller plants, not only for trees. 3. The metaballs are nice but how about setting a meta-switch to all the objects so you cannot only let balls melt together, but cones, cilinders, latices and so forth too. 4. The multireplicator is great for create some special effects, but it's not always good enough. Let's introduce a particle system. 5. Animating is nice, but what Bryce doesn't have is a collission-detection and physics system. That would be very handy. 6. Fluid-dynamics would be nice too, the water can look to unreal when animating it. 7. Making IK-lab would be nice to make character-animation a bit more easy. 8. More advanced moddeling tools are a must. How about Nurbs, Subdivision-surfaces or a modelling-system like Amapi has with drawing lines to sketch out a model. 9. Image based modelling. 10. Multiple render-modes. It would be nice to make some other non-raytracing modes too. If you could set these per texture you can really improve rendertimes. 11. Multiple layers. If you can rerender just those objects that you have edited you don't have to rerender the rest of the scene. This increases the work-flow. 12. More advanced export features. It would be nice to export all your Brycian models and not just luntains and lattices. Well this is about it. What do you 'Brycers' out here think?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Aldaron ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 3:20 PM

Well you mentioned just about everything I'd like included. Just to add with wind also gravity. As for #11 you can do that with plop render.

haloedrain ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 3:40 PM
  1. better coastlines (seafoam near the coast, maybe using a mapping mode that detects how close the water plane is to the nearest object underneath, and a wave lab) 2. more realistic stars (as in, not fat and gray) 3. trees with twisted branches and gnarly trunks, or at least the ability to have metaballs to interact with them to create this effect I also add my vote to the small plants, the more advanced modeling tools, and the exporting. The skylab as rayraz described it sounds really cool, but it also sounds really difficult to do all in one version and make it not buggy.

tradivoro ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 4:03 PM

I would ask for a couple of things above, but more importantly, a faster render engine.. Although people wiht Macs claim that the renders are the same as Bryce 4, the pc people know that they are quite slow... Also, fix the tree lab so we don't get those indentations in the trees, and of course, additional vegetation would be a plus...

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 5:08 PM

And lets not forget a faster rendering system!!!

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

foleypro ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 5:13 PM

1.Definitley more export options such as obj even of boolean models...This is paramount to haveing a lasting product that would be bought by the masses,also a uv mapping editor would be sweet too so we would be able to make templates for our different models... 2.The legal option to make a texture in Bryce's Texture editor and use in another program legally...I know I might get flack about this but I feel that if COREL would give the artist the legal right to export and use a texture he/she made in Bryce and import into another 3D program such as Max and Lightwave or even Maya and Softimage would really set the market on its ear and be bought by more artist just for the texture editor alone...The texture Editor I feel is the best on the Market bar none... 3.A modeling system like truespace has I have Truespace SE which I bought for 15$ US and I think it has one of the easiest and fastest modeling system...And for the price I bought it for is one of the cheapest...

tonyJ ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 6:03 PM

1 Fast rendering of course, usable volumetrics 2 INTERFACE OVERHALL, Its time for multiple displays, make it look like Carrara. Open GL 3 More intuitive texture editor 4 global exposure slider A La Vue D'Esprit 5 sort the duff skies out.Suns that actually look bright,not a duff hard edged flat disk. editable moons and planets,Ability to ad more than two cloud planes, ability to edit them with slider controls separately. 6 plants, with export ability (the will never do it I know) 7 the ability to alter terrain meshes in true 3d not just grey scale info to give Bryce the ability to generate asymetrical rock forms..if this can be done without turning it into a full blown modeller, a move that would probably shoot up the price. Could this be done with just mesh subdivide and magnet tools, posibly ad true displacement using Bryce procedurals?

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 6:23 PM

Here's some suggestions I think could be fairly easily implemented into Bryce. And would not require redoing Bryce completely. To make Bryce a full blown modeling app I believe would drive the cost from a low end $300 to a midrange $1000+. Which I personally don't want to see happen. Not counting all the bugs and crashes that come with completely rewriting code. Anyway here's mine: 1.Shrub & flowering plant lab. 2. Metaball lab. 3. A primitive lab, with more variety of primitives, tetrahedron, hexagons octagons ect.. and deforming tools. 4. More drawing options in the Terrain Editor, Brush shapes & types, pressure, flux or spacing, the ability to use plug-ins ( kpt, like in the Picture Editor ). 5.Sky lab enhancements to also include space ( nebulas and such ) and underwater effects. Put some images we can use in the man on the moon easter egg, B5 has no images and B4 has a bunch of programmer faces which are basically worthless. 7. Real parallel lights, you know the kind that represent real sun or moon light. 8. More rendering effects, motion blur, radiosity, global illumination, ect... 9. A rendering tab on the object attributes menu, so rendering effects can be turned on or off per object or group ( AA, raytracing, Radiosity, ect...) 10. The ability to support 3rd party plug-ins, so people who want Bryce to do more can specifically buy what they need or want. Instead of forcing people to pay more for something they may never use or want.

Stephen Ray

PappShmirr ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 6:32 PM

More readily able to import animations form Poser

reddog ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 8:57 PM

1 beter color picker the slidebar is too crappy 2 backward compatiability 3ability to work on hidden items inside other things bryce has math problems that show up when you push the shell and these need to be addressed, we have all done things that have gone schizen on render right. heirarchy editor that can be used with ease.

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 9:11 PM

Reddog, hold the Ctrl & Alt keys when clicking on any of Bryce's color palettes, to bring up the OS color selector.

Stephen Ray

humorix ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 10:19 PM

Lol! With thios kind of wish list Corel might as well buy over 3D Studio Max! ;-) But the wish list is definitely a great idea! Lemme draw up mine and post it! :-P

Art_4 ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 11:41 PM

Mine is: 1.Faster Render Engine! 2.Easier to use Tree Lab 3.Realistic Stars and Comets and Galaxies. 4.A Terrain Editor compatible with Photosohop or Painter. 5.A Sun and Moon Lab. 6.Texture Maker 7.Below $500. :-), Well that's Mine, I guess we all have a little bit of something. My DREAM BRYCE 6!!!!!

timnjen ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2002 at 11:56 PM

Add a mesh Lab and other tools for mesh manipulation like the ability to work more with tools like Lathe and more interactive boolean objects - metaballs are a start but give me a metball that I can grab the mesh of. I want to pull on the polygons and push on the booleans. . .

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 12:37 AM

based on past releases of Bryce, you will probably NOT see most of what you have listed above in Bryce6. Realistically, I can see the tree lab change to a plant lab. They will probably redo the look of the interface since its so dammed ugly now. and then of course, they will find a way to make it take longer to render. after that..they will call it an "upgrade" and slap 150 bux on it and send it out. hows that for pessimistic?(sp) :P BT

Sihn ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 6:37 AM

I'd like for it to work on WinXP. I bought the upgrade which worked on my Win98, but has never worked on WinXP. After several months I was finally told by someone in support at Corel that Bryce 5 wasn't "completely compatible with WinXP", whatever that means. I'd also like to see a better interface that enlarges to fit larger monitors and better rendering time.

humorix ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 7:11 AM

Heres my wish list for Bryce 6!

: Terrain Editor:

- The KPT Gel technology is already with Corel! What if they were to incorporate this into the terrain editor? i.e. have more brushes like twirl, knife, eraser, magnet, bulge etc! - Of course nothing like having a terrain editor which allows you to paint in all three planes viz. XY, XZ, YZ plains! SLURP!!! That would definitely take things to a new height! - What if we could import and export image files from the terrain editor? Right now one has to go about it in a round about fashion. Export as PGM. Use an image converter, convert it to Tiff file and then work upon it in an image editor. - Also a plug in which would convert an object/primitive file into a terrain (i.e. provide the right gradient for say an egg shape into a gradiant map!

: Presets for multireplicator and means to interactively tweak it! (A multireplicator lab if you will!)

: SOMEBODY PLEASE GIVE ME A MIRROR TOOL!!!! Has anybody tried to create a right hand and then do the left hand all over again???

: Meta-primitives in meatballs. I.e. stuff like rounded cones, cuboids, cylinders, torus etc as well as adjustable surface tension! Ability to perform Boolean operations with them, or have them reacting with other primitives!

: Means to export models made in Bryce!

: I guess asking for an extrude/extrude along a path and lathe might be too much! In that case can somebody provide a pipe lab??? Have people tried to make pipes, ropes, wire in Bryce??? We have to bend over backwards and then try to catch our nose all the way around our toesif you know what I mean!

: And finally, in case they continue to provide the FAST rendering solutions, can I adjust the price of Bryce with a return ticket to Mars??? :-P

Well will add more if I can think them up!

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 10:14 AM

um as far as image files go you in bryce 5 you can already import image files in the terrain editor. Notice the image tab? Also Corel took out the KPT tools that came with bryce 4.

Tirjasdyn

sanvito ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 10:34 AM

Humorix, the mirror tool already exists. Click on the little white triangle under the Scale tool and select Flip X, Y, or Z. Steve S

humorix ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 10:57 AM

Ummmm I've been using Bryce since Bryce 2 (played around with Bryce1) and I NEVER USED THE FLIP TOOL! :"| And to imagine the trouble I undertook! Where do I go and hide myself? Lol! Guess this is what comes about by using a software empirically! :"| Thanx Steve! You are a saviour!:-) Guess this is going to spare me a lot of trouble!!! :-) And Trij I know one can import files but how do you EXPORT an image file from the Bryce Editor? The only way around is to export the terrain as PGM, convert the PGM file into a file image editors will recognise and then working on an image editor import it back into the terrain editor (if you care to look at my "Sentinel" image you'll know what I'm talking about!)Where I had to undertake this process when I created the body of the Mummy! Also the body was created in KPT Gel and I found the tools in KPT Gel pretty useful, if one tried to do para-organic modeling using the terrain editor, that is!

Rani ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 11:47 AM

get customable workspace with multiple views and in perspective views rotation by right-mouse and on 2d views panning by right-mouse, zooming in/out with ctrl+mouse, in other words, look at Rhino3D. small plants lab is also something i would like to see. easier selection of objects proberly by using multiple layers (Rhino...). more rough brushes in the terrain editor, the kind that makes chaotic stones/cracks etc' sorta like mounds. better sclaing tools (Rhino again...) that's it for now, maybe i'll think of more later.

Sipapu ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 1:14 PM

The ability to select multiple items from the various "select" lists without having to go back to the entire list each time. (Does this make sense? Not sure I worded it so that it's understandable.) That's all I can think of at the moment.

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 1:25 PM

I would agree that many of the suggestions above have merit, but personally I would love to be able to animate water and plants ala World Builder. A Wave Lab, as haloedrain put it would be nice. And I do love the possibility of a particle system.

Laurie S ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 2:03 PM

I would happy with an upgrade that would make render times more manageable .. it is the major wall I come up against every time I try to do anything remotely fancy with the program ;-). Oh and one more thing .. WE NEED to be able to render in high resolutions with out going to disk!!!! I honestly believe these are two things that hold Bryce back big time from being used on a more commercial level .. Lord I am soo tired of having to render to disk and wait a week for the image.. I always have to take this into account when I am quoting a time frame on a project.. and then the client invariably looks at me like I am out of my mind .. I love Bryce and I would love to continue using it .. but if I want to be competitive I am going to have to bite the bullet and go to Max :-(

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 2:12 PM

Since I use third party software(psp, photoshop, and now paramentic texture editor) for my terrain images I don't need to export. I see how it would be useful for those that don't have a good paint package(pte is good and free but is run by math). Alot of what is asked for (not all mind you) can be had by other vendors, perhaps my wish is this: to have bryce stay an affordable landscape tool, add the plants and flowers ability and perhaps metashapes for better organics(it would also make up for the loss of presquished primatives). I'm on a pc and I've seen no difference between b4 adn b5 renders except b5 has a hard time with yellow for some odd reason. I agree I would like corel to put back the plugins for texture and terrain editing, I really miss those. as far as I'm concerned modeling(though fun in bryce's own way) should stay with other programs. I bought bryce for the landscape...that's what I would stay with it for.

Tirjasdyn

haloedrain ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2002 at 5:55 PM

an object/group hierarchy editor window would be nice, too, I forgot to mention it before. It would save a lot of patience if I didn't have to go through those lists at the bottom in a complex scene or if I accidently ungroup something that's inside another group and ctrl+z doesn't regroup it. humorix: you can copy an image out of the terrain editor with ctrl+c and paste it into an image editor.

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 2:47 AM

For Heaven's sake, let's NOT have more modelling tools! If you want to make models, buy a modelling program. Bryce isn't a modelling program. And leave the interface alone - it's great.

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 3:48 AM

my top ten: 1)faster rendering time! 2)faster rendering time! 3)faster rendering time! 4)faster rendering time! 5)faster rendering time! 6)faster rendering time! 7)faster rendering time! 8)faster rendering time! 9)faster rendering time! 10)Wave And Waterfall Lab!!!!!!!!!!! (oh yeah - all the above and below.)

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 4:56 AM

One thing that everybody seems to have forgot: A BETTER MANUAL! Things like alt+click for a more precise colour palette is not obvious, to put it mildly. Just like all those alt+ or ctrl+click combinations. Plus, plugins. Plus, I'd personally like to see a Tree Lab more like Tree Druid. It's quite easy to use and has a nice preview.

-- erlik

humorix ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 6:20 AM

Heyyyy I forgot!!! How about multiple undos????? and I can only reiterate what biker sez! - Faster rendertime! - Faster rendertime! - Faster rendertime! - Faster Rendertime! - Faster rendertime! - Faster rendertime! - Faster rendertime! - Faster Rendertime! Ummmm u think Corel might be catching the drift? :-P

big_hoovie ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 11:23 AM
  1. multiple undo(with a list to show what has been done, so you can choose where to undo to) 2) the ability to manipulate an object(primitive, or mesh type object) 3) plugins 4) ability to choose how many views to have on the screen(ie: othorgraphic views, perspective view.....) 5) faster treelab 6) need to have easier access to all those "easter eggs" like ctrl+click...etc... I'm not too concerned with the render times, simply because bryce is really all about the art. it shouldn't matter how long it takes to render, as long as the finished product is how you envisioned it. although, i would like it if the render times did not increase from where they are =c)

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 1:57 PM

Hey Laurie S If you want faster render time, I wouldn't go with Max, it's one of the slower render apps to ( in it's price range ). Try Electric Image Universe, positively the fastest renderer available ( at any price range ) with no loss of quality or ability. It's cheaper too!!. humorix Bryce 5 has multiple undo's

Stephen Ray

mboncher ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 2:02 PM

Desires for Bryce 6; 1. Better tree lab with FAR MORE REALISTIC TREES. I'd like a real pine tree or weeping willow or sycamore thank you! 2. Love that Waterfall/wave lab idea. Sprays, torrents, river rapids please. 3. Ability to save models and broader model/mesh acceptance. 4. Easier scene Navigation. 5. Improved Spray Rendering ( I love that tool but would like some control over it.) 6. Better defined user manual. (I'd really like to understand how to do my own textures better) 7. Better explained animation functions. Currently I need a Rosetta Stone to even catch on. Realistically, do I expect Corel to listen? Nope... not even that deluded. Do I expect anything on my list to actually show up in 6? Only if the ambient temperature in hell reaches 31 degrees fahrenheit or the Cubs win the world series. Whichever comes first. But hey, even lotteries have winners. These're my desires for what it's worth.

Laurie S ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 2:22 PM

Thanks Stephen! I had not even heard of Electric Image Universe, and I sure as heck am glad someone has mentioned that Max's render time is not good ;-) .. mind I was also thinking that for the price of Max in Can. I should just think about getting a second big putter, I has heard that networked they can increase the render times in Bryce significantly?

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 4:02 PM

Attached Link: http://www.electricimage.com/

Laurie S, Well the thing about network rendering is, it's for animation, a still ( single image ) can only be rendered on 1 computer ( as far as I know ) With network rendering you assign what frames ( of an animation ) will be rendered by what computer. Most all the mid to high ranged apps will network render. I would suggest before you go shelling out 1 or 2 grand on a 3D app, you test drive ( demo ) all that's available. They all have their finer and weaker points, and steep learning curves. Really it's a matter of what suits your needs and pocket book. That's why I suggested EI, it's probably the lowest priced app in it's range ( Max, Lightwave, Cinema 4D ) years & years ago Electric Image was one of the industries top software's ( like when the original Terminator move was made ). But then it fell into the hands of a company that only wanted it for it's rendering technology. So it sat dormant for years. Now it's back in the hands of it's creator ( last 1 1/2 years ) and it's on the raise again. But the companies attitude is, instead of marketing it for the big name studios, their marketing it more for the little guy's ( freelancers and such ) so that's why the price is so low. Shoot they even have a tool kit version ( 2.9 where it was at before they started upgrading again ) for just a little less than what Bryce 5 cost, and it has an upgrade path.

Stephen Ray

EricofSD ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 10:47 PM
  1. Brushes in the terrain editor other than round. Allow Photoshop brushes maybe just like Bryce allows the PS filters. Whatever it takes, most of the brush work I do in other apps is simple so this would greatly enhance speed and time. 2. Ok, make Poser imports seemless. Put the politics aside and do it. Bryce and poser have the same roots and I for one would like to see the integration. 3. Expand the metaball section to include other primatives like Metasequoia does, for example. 4. Maybe some basic modeling tools like a bend tool, or point drag (magnet). Just the basics, like Metasequoia. 5. Allow export of models in other than obj format. 6. Better documentation on hidden features and some really good tech manuals on the depth of the materials editor. Trust me, Kitchens doesn't cover what I want. I want a thick book on phase settings, noyes fractal information, filter formula information, etc. Really deep into the deep texture editor. I've been trying to make a snow covered mountain texture for a long time now. Snow on top, not on the bottom like Bryce does it (that's not natural) and while I'm close, I still have some problems.

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 01 May 2002 at 2:13 AM

Hey, this is my most succesful message up until now! (At least in terms of response) There are some great suggestions posted already. And as Humorix I also have never tried the flip-tool. And since I often hear that people who have been using bryce for years don't know abiut the existance of some handy tools like that flip-tool that brings me to another improvement: Make a more intuitive interface and make sure that people can find all the tools and don't have to discover them by accident. If you know what I mean. I'll have a look at how to get these improvement-suggestions to the right people at Corel. Keep those suggestions comming! I'll copy all the suggestions posted before the end of this week (Before Sunday, May 5, 2002) And send tham to Corel as fast as possible.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Wed, 01 May 2002 at 9:50 AM

Manual..yeah...corel's b5 was word for word the b4 manual with a blurb added for metaballs, tree and light lab. Actually the light lab was in b4, it just had a dinky interface...that's all they changed in b5.

Tirjasdyn

Ironbear ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2002 at 10:19 AM

Scene export with textures... preferably to .obj format. .pz3 import capability A more intuitive animation designer. And I'll go with other peoples suggestions on the skylab. I like the multiple suns, planets and more varied sky pallette ideas.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Laurie S ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2002 at 10:37 AM

Stephen .. Thank you!!! I have been playing with Universe 4 and I LOVE IT!! I want this app!!! I would have to have it to see exactly how it compares to Bryce .. but from what I have read and the demo reel.. wow.

luke27 ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2002 at 2:41 PM

Two things: 1. Dirt. Spray-on, added with another layer on the object, part of the texture lab, whatever. I want to make things with those awesome textures look like someone left it up in the attic or out in the rain. It's a used world out there folks! 2. Ambient light / radiosity. I would love for the light lab to include this option, for example to mimic natural sunlight or streetlights or moonlight or whatever, without casting shadows. AgentSmith and many others have done cool things with arrays of lights but to have it done automatically...ah... Hey AgentSmith & clay - can we use the Bryce backroom to make our own users manual? Write in all of the nitty gritty, Easter eggs, good tricks, etc? Either by adapting the one they send or just making a new one? Or is that going to be a problem for copyright stuff? Anyone out there want to volunteer to collect and compile hints? Maybe I can offer my services there...with the blessings of our moderators of course. :)

reddog ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2002 at 3:52 PM

i was wondering if there was a hard copy users manual. the pack i got was boxed for a book but it wasn't there. of course the price was about half what others want for it.yes it did come threw a greymarket seller

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.