Fri, Sep 20, 6:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: vue pro opinions please-

maldowns ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 7:03 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:21 AM

i live in australia and have bee a registered user of bryce 4 for 5 years and have been tempted to the alternatives as b5 doesnt seem to be much better- vue 4 pro seems to offer a hell of a lot over vue 4, the import/export of full models is a big draw card for me- Ive hassled eon for a sidegrade price,but i also need a better informed user opinion to part with my cash-for programs like this in aus dollars we have to bend over and take a crow bar to pay for them,so i need some more feedback before i part with my cash

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 7:16 AM

I think it depends on what you want to use it for. I had Bryce 4 and 5 and left them, now I only use Vue....I have Vue 4 which I totally adore and I now have Vue Pro and am a little disappointed in Vue Pro. It could be I am not using Vue Pro to it's capacity yet, but I have never had problems with Vue 4....it's totally a stable and a great program. So, it depends on what you want Vue Pro to do for you that Vue 4 can't do. There is a difference between the two, but in my opionion if you are going to use it for static images, I think Vue 4 will totally make you happy. Sharen

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 8:06 AM

I agree with Sharen, Vue 4 is a great program. But I'm sooo much happier with Vue Pro!! Of course, the plant editor!! For the moment I'm just playing around creating completely new plants. They can be saved to show up in the existing Vue pants folder and every time you select it (I mean the completely new one) it will react as the already existing Vue plants, 2 of the same species never looks the same. Even not when created by yourself :-). Another great feature is Post processing. You don't need any other application to change hue, brightness, saturation.... You can do it directly in Vue. A great feature inside this feature is also that you can render a spherical image. When saved, you may apply it to a sphere and it looks as it should look:-) And the wind. You also need wind for still images, not only for animations. Give life to your trees, grass and flowers in giving them some movement in the wind. I also like especiallly the automatic "make seamless" for reflection maps. And, and and...so many other new features! I could speak for hours aboutVue Pro. But I don't have the time to do so. The book with over 400 pages is greatly done and every thing is explained in detail. I have no high end application and I cannot speak about how Vue reacts in Max or Lightwave, but the full scene export is a great thing. Vue Pro will not export a scene when an imported Pz3 figure is included (but you always can : import your Poser figure as an OBJ file, then it will export with the scene. Otherwise import your Poser figure separately in your high end app, some third party objects are forbidden for export too (except OBJ format). You can create your own objects and forbid the export from Vue. Import works great for all formats supported by Vue Pro. OpenGL is supported, but some graphic cards needs to be updated to work with Vue. There is a test option in Vue to know if your card works or (maybe, but not for sure) not. Most of recent cards are working fine. Personally, I have not encountered ANY technical problem until now. I had not one crash since I use Vue Pro final version (5 days, many hours). If you have specific questions, we will try to answer. But don't forget we are all new to Vue Pro:-). Guitta

MixedNut ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 8:12 AM

I completely agree with Sharen! I, too, have problems with Vue Pro (especially the distributed rendering and 'oh, there's the desktop again'-type crashes). Which program do you intend to export to? There is a thread on Lightwave export you'll want to check out, if Lightwave is your thing, so to speak..

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 8:23 AM

Forgot to say: whenever a new update for Vue Pro is ready, you will be able to get it automatically (if this feature is enabled in your options). No more running to e-on's site for updates, Vue informs, downloads and installs, as you wish:-)

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 8:26 AM

Python scripts too:-) I have to learn it. For the moment, I did not understand well how to create on, needs some time:-)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 8:28 AM

Yes, that is a nice feature. I did not mean to take anything away form Vue Pro, like I said I have not had enough time to use it to it's full capacity....afraid to let go of my wonderful Vue 4.2 that has no problems. Of course my Vue Pro has no problems I just don't yet know how to use it. Sharen

grunthor ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 9:49 AM

I'm like Guitta. I LOVE Vue 4 Pro and have had no problems with it at all. She's also right about one thing, we are ALL new to V4P. We are just learning all of the new features. But for me I love the plant editor most.

Gaussian ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 11:10 AM

I'm happy if Vue Pro works for you guys, but it doesn't work for me. For days I have struggled with it but I can't solve the problems I have. My problem is that the problem crashes... a lot. I've been in long discussions with Eon, exchanged lots of information, but nothing has been solved yet. My major problem is EXPORT. It only takes 5-10 min before the program crashes when I try to export anything, a scene or a model. And the weird thing is; I don't have a problem with 3DS Max, Vue 4.12, Illustrator, Photoshop, Terragen, Wings 3D, you name it, they're all rocksolid stable, honest. I've disabled OpenGL and that didn't solve anything either. Latest update didn't do any good either. Like I said, I'm happy if it works for you, but we can't ignore the fact that there are still so many people who DO have a problem; you just need to read some old threads.

Gaussian ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 11:11 AM

I mean that the "Program" crashes LOL

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 11:19 AM

I'm always wondering if there could be an incompatibility between Vue Pro and another Application? Just an idea. The computer where I have installed Vue Pro (XP Pro), has only graphic programs, absolutely nothing else. And I have none of the mentioned problems. Many writers of the "old threads" have their problem resolved as far as I know. Guitta

grunthor ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 11:43 AM

One thing that I have noticed, and I'm not saying that this is your particular problem Gaussian it's just an observation, is that when Vue Pro imports an object from another program (such as Poser 5 in my case) it takes a LONG TIME to do the import. Vue Pro is actually "rendering" a low quality version of the object while this is taking place. It uses this version to display the object in OpenGL mode. The "rendering" is why it takes so long. I haven't seen a setting that will let you disable this. Perhaps some people are taking this long import time and thinking their system is locked up since it does take a lot of system resources and it seems locked up. I thought this at first but I waited and found my system wasn't locked up after all.

Richard T ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 6:38 PM

Hi, I have both installed. However Vue Pro is the used all the time, most of my scenes have Poser figures in them and Pro handles poser better. As far as value for money goes I am not sure (yet) especially with the $US100 delivery fee, although it only took 4 working days, to get to Australia. Richard Taylor (in Sydney, Australia).

Xiores ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 6:40 PM

Sorry, but all the program crashes, 90 calls to e-on, get one prob fixed and another occurs. I also run most other programs mentioned above with no probs. I am using a new P4 3.GHz with 1 gig of memory and a well know $600 grahics card. Mats won't load correctly, Rock import and resizing causes crashes, and imports and exports are so slow the program simply freezes. Prehaps the next FIX will work. Till then Vue4 Pro sits idlely on my system. Glad it works for some of you.

iloco ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 7:06 PM

I have not had any problems with Vue Pro untill I tryed to install 3 of the plants from e-on software. Orange, Walnut and Yucca. Two of them(walnut and orange) installed but when I try to open the plants I get a greyed window where plants should be. Then Vue locks up. The other plant(yucca)says I don't have the right iidentification number. :o( I am patiently waiting for tech support to help solve the problem but with how they are set up it is so slow to get help. :o)

ïÏøçö

maldowns ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 8:04 PM

thank you all for your replies,i have been reading other threads as well,i think i'll be patient for another couple of weeks before ordering and i'll keep reading this forum and see if some of the problems for some of you get worked out- i'm doing a sci fi comic,i render backgrounds in bryce and my characters in poser 5 and then composite the image together,i make starship pieces in lightwave,export them as obj to bodypaint r2,texture and uv each piece seperately and then assemble the ship together in bryce,this workflow works well for me,but because of the promised features of vue 4 pro i would like to transplant it into my system instead of bryce, as i would like to be able to export my assembled ships to poser as the alpha channel in the renders would help compositing multiple ships in the one scene(or does vue 4 pro render objects with an alpha channel?)anyway,thanks again for your replies and maybe i will join you all as a user soon cheers! Mal

HellBorn ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:04 AM

Well in my opinion: If you need to export from Vue or if you need to import scenes from high end applications for render in vue or if you make money on what you do and think the better OpenGL eventually will pay back the investment in better handling speed or think that the ability to strech,bend,resize and changing the images on an allready existing plant is what makes up a greate plant editor then maybe it's something for you. Otherwise I think you could spend that extra $ for the pro version on something else, maybe a real plant editor.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:06 AM

Perhaps I can do a full review in the near future, but for now just a quick summary of my impressions of Vue PRO after having it a few days ...

Guitta is correct in that there are many GREAT new features and what amount to FIXES (like multiple UNDO, for example) that should have been in Vue4. She barely scratched the surface of some of the amazing new things (like object replacement and decimation ... very handy!)

HOWEVER, with that being said, I can only echo the sentiment of many others here ... IT IS EXTREMELY UNSTABLE (i.e. BUGGY) AT THIS POINT. Vue 4.2 was very stable for me, even with OpenGL enabled amazingly enough. However, PRO is very unstable and I can list multiple ways in which to consistently crash it, unfortunately.

Finally, there have not been significant improvements in the area of animation and keyframing. Vue Pro is still VERY WEAK in this area. And Pro has introduced some new quirks with keyframe nodes "spazzing out" after simple changes.

I'd say it has a LOT of potential, and I just hope they squash some of these bugs soon, as currently I can't seem to get anything done because of the bizarre behavior.

-Tim

sacada ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:46 AM

I agree with the comments above on both features and stability. I made my choice a while ago to revert back to Vue 4.2, so I can create a scene from start to finish with minimal crashes (4.2 is not that completely rock-solid either). If you start a scene in Pro, you cannot take that scene back to 4.2. Conversly you can take a 4.2 scene to Pro. Vue Pro has many terrific enhancements but it up to each individual to determine if those enhancements add to both helping you design scenes and create better images. Checking the pricing... Vue Pro US$599 Vue 4.2 US$199 Vue 4.2 sidegrade to Vue Pro US$399 Getting 4.2 + Pro sidegrade is approx the same price, so I would suggest either getting both now, or getting 4.2 and sidegrading later (extra postage cost but Aussie dollar is increasing making cost cheaper :)). This would give you time to get accustomed to Vue and decide if its your application for the future and also give yourself the ability to get more features when you like.

Mikeangelo ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 5:19 AM

I agree with Gebe, some of the problems could well be down to incompatibility with other programs, I have Vue 4 not Pro, I use it because I like what it does when it does it, but I dont really like all the problems with it. To run it reasonably successfully, just using the close program dialogue for other background running programs is not enough, I have to go to msconfig and shut down all start up programs other than systray and explorer. If I dont do this and I use Vue and then try to shut the computer down, most times it wont shut down without me switching it off, its a most inconvenient way to use a program. I decided after a year of not using it because of problems, I had to get something out of it, after all I had paid for it. I found many updates counteracted some problems and introduced others, from one particular update to the next one I couldnt use options at all, then after the next update it worked again. After another update my preview images for importing textures etc, suddenly just become a jumble of random program icons. I have had to put up with that, I have never had a successful answer from eon on any problems, and usually get no further answers if I press it. I have only had serious problems with one other program, just on one upgrade, from the next upgrade on it ran okay again. C4d runs bug free with both my virus scan and firewall enabled, Wings the free program, still beta, runs with only a very occasional bug which Bjorn the creator is usually on top of by the time I visit their forum. All my other programs run okay too, it might be that Vue doesnt like Hewlet Packard computers, so I have had more problems than some have. To be the program that stands out as a problem, makes me wonder if the program is tested on a wide enough range of computers. The number of updates covering an enormous number of bugs must say something even to the most loyal eon customer, certainly things will have to change a lot with Vue 4 and Pro before I would consider spending any more money with eon. Dave

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 5:59 AM

Dave, I had Vue 4 first on Windows 98 first edition, PII-300. Later I had it on Win ME, PIV-800. I went back to Win 98 (always first edition), because I did not like ME. Vue 4 worked absolutely fine and without any problem since I had updated to 4.12. Randomly it crashed, but this happend maybe 4 or 5 times a year and believe me, I used it EVERY day for hours, because I'm working with it for my professional work. Windows itself crashed lots more often. Now, I have installed Vue4 on XP Pro- P IV - 2.8 and it also works great. As Vue Pro doesn't run on Win 98, I also have Vue Pro on my XP computer. On this computer, as I said already, I only have graphic programs, nothing else. No shareware, no freeware, no games, no illegal copies of anything!. I have installed Vue4.12 3 times on this computer, in English, German and French language to be able to help out in all these languages with the right words, as I'm also a mod at French and German groups. My Vue Pro has not crashed once since I have installed it. I have done the most crazy things with it, mixing 4 and more materials and always trying and doing more then what is logically possible. Every program has its limits, I often overrun it with Vue 4.12 and Pro and it works :-). Vue Pro has been tested on lots of computers and computer powers and graphic cards. But it cannot be logically be tested on every computer Brand existing in the world. I would bet that Vue (any version) works ALWAYS great on any "clean" computer with a clean OS installation (speaking about PC, I don't have a MAC in my small collection). I either can't see the "enormous amount of bugs" you are speaking about. What are they exactly? If ever we find bugs, we report it to e-on and they will do every thing possible to give us satisfaction. If you found bugs, you should report them also. I'm curious to know what kind of bugs you are speaking about. When I have an enormous scene ( over 120 MB) to render, I also shot down every thing else by msconfig, that's just to make render faster and sure. Finally, please don't compare Wings with Vue:-). :-)Guitta

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:18 AM

I agree with Guitta, I have had 3 different OS systems in the past few years and I have only graphics programs on my computer, no games either,I have email and virus software, other than that it is clean and I have found working this way is the best for all my software. I really think the way you handle your computer makes a huge difference. Mike's computer, has no programs on it other than the OS XP and his AutoCAD, everything else is gone, he is not hooked to the internet, basic and has never, ever had a problem and if any of you who know AutoCAD, will know it is a program that can cause huge problems due to calculations that need to be done. Those who use their computers for lively hood income and not for playing, or listening to music or whatever will always do better with a clean computer. Sharen

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:35 AM

I want to clear up what I said above: ...whenever we find a bug, we report it to e-on... Right is the following: Whenever we find a "bug", we first discuss it here, because bugs often are not bugs, just a misunderstanding of a feature by a user. So, real bugs reported here must be found also by other users, otherwise they are not bugs (if only one or two users have a kind of a repetitive problem).

grunthor ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 10:03 AM

Well I guess I have to blow the clean system idea out of the water here. My system is far from clean. Although everything on there is a legal copy. I'm a software developer by trade so I have a lot of other stuff on my system. On my XP box Im running Visual Studio .Net and Office 2003. I'm also running Apple's iTunes and some chat clients. I'm still not seeing any of the bugs that others are reporting. I did have V4P crash on me once the other night but that was because I had a BUNCH of other programs running at the same time and I only have 256M of RAM.

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:08 AM

No texture or whatever problem for me:-)

grunthor ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:13 AM

Me either. I'm beginning to think that in Purloinius' case it's operator error.

Mikeangelo ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 12:57 PM

Since 4.12, Yes I do run Vue 4 relatively trouble free. I initially used to be able to use background draw, but somewhere along the update line, and I had to switch that off because my Vue display messed up if it was on. My point about many bugs was prior to 4.12 and I think it is fair to say that it took some time to get there, it was prior to those updates that I stopped using it for a year. That still leaves me with having to shut down start up programs in msconfig, to avoid the use of Vue stopping me closing down the computer other than by switching off. I am extremely cautious of free programs and have only a strictly limited number of ones that I feel are okay like, Wings and Lavasofts Adaware, programs known not to carry spyware. I dont have games installed, Shareware I dont entertain, because far too much of it carries advertisers Trojans, Like yourself I wouldnt touch pirated software however cheap, even if I had no particular time for the company that produced the software, on the same basis that I object to any abuse of the owners copyright and rightful income and that includes mesh models etc. I have reinstalled Vue a number of times, each time I reinstall it, the vehicles objects thumbnails duplicate and I have to delete them, long grass appears in plants which the program doesnt have, only as an extra. The computer has been reformatted, so maybe the Hewlett Packard set up is faulty, who knows, but I would expect that to reflect in other programs, which it doesnt, so as I said maybe Vue just doesnt like the set-up. I have tried to get a reason for problems such as the options sudden failure after an update in the past, (which works again now) but eon had no answers, and dont answer when you keep asking. Their answer that it must be Windows or something else, may be right, but my question is why just Vue. As I said the still permanent problems are the import preview picture that started after one update, the computer shut down problems after using Vue, other things are not predictable like freezeups with Booleans, but less since I shut everything down in start-up programs. I had avoided putting my views on the program for some time, because I fear that in the software world you are always expected to say its brilliant in all ways or say nothing. The problems I had with a program upgrade from another company, as mentioned in my last post, proved that criticism wasnt acceptable. I had a letter published in Computer Arts praising their software and support to the skies, then their support rep packed up and the upgrade came out, I couldnt use it for 5 months till the next upgrade, then it was okay again. I realised then that the high standard of support was down to that one man who had left, and I was left floundering for 5 months. Eventually I did take them to task for having ignored me that long, and they acknowledged some had problems but they didnt have any answers, but apologised then for having ignored me. I dont mention their name because its not relevant to this forum. I saw other people with their program get stick if they dared to critisice the program for any faults it had on their systems, but I had learned that blind loyalty to a software company did not help me one iota, if my problems were too difficult for them to try to solve. I will say that in principle Vue is great program, and if you experience no problems I am pleased thats so, but programs do have problems on some set-ups, and it is unlikely to be the set-ups fault unless that is reflected in at least 25% of the other software installed. Sorry about the mention of Wings Guitta, but its an amazingly good little modelling program, and its free, plus runs its own forum to iron out any problems people may have, what more can you ask. :) Sorry also Grunthor, I get the point your making, but I do not use multi IDs to make a point, and it is not operator error, your response is typical of the reasons that people that have less than perfect results from any software have to keep quiet . How lucky we are to live in a democratic world where you are only able to praise software companies. Dave

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:03 PM

I believe you are the exception and not the rule. E-on now has a track record of creating unstable software. And it is shame if they are trying to break into the Pro market, as no one would use this software because of its quirkiness. I mostly do hobby animation, so it's not critical. But when I do need to use my software professionally (like animation for a hologram), I will never use Vue, I always go back to Bryce (or even Poser at times) because I know it's not going to crash on me or add bizzarre things to the animation.

Vue 4 did not become stable for me until version 4.2, and even then it has some serious problems. Vue Pro, as I have mentioned, is very unstable. My machine is basically a pure graphics and video editing station. I am hyper-aware of system performance -- I admit I'm a techno-geek. My system is at its optimum.

But equally if not more important is the fact that no other software behaves this way, and Vue has acted like this in all its iterations. No other software I own (from the simple Cool3D to After Effects to 3DSMaxEven to my realtime video editing software) has these problems whatsoever. Even POSER 5 crashes less often (actually almost never now, other then during certain renders) than Vue.

-Tim

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:09 PM

I think we're on the same wavelength, Dave. LOL! I too agree that Vue is, or rather COULD be, a fantastic app. It's a shame it's getting lost in poor programming skills and lackluster tech support. (And I mean the mode of tech support, not necessarily the staff!)

iloco ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:09 PM

I agree with a lot of you on support. I have beenn 5 days trying to get 3 plants to load into Vue Pro without errors and Tech still hasn't gave me an answer. They keep asking have I done this or have I done that, and then have to wait another 24 hrs for an answer after I give them my answer for previous question from them. This is so frustrating.:o( I wish they would setup a forum like this Vue forum that would be much better than the way they have support set up now. I agree its the mode of tech support and not the staff. I think they are understaffed for the amount of problems they are receiving.

ïÏøçö

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:19 PM

It is always important, when asking support, to write all steps you have done in detail as well all error messages or whatever. If you send them a very detailed question, you will get the right answer quickly:-) guitta

iloco ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:34 PM

I agree gebe, and if anyone looks at my support tickets I think I give all the details anyone has asked or needs for the problem. The lenght of time you have to wait for an answer has been taking 24 hrs for each question. I am now on my 6th day trying to find why 3 plants will not work with Vue Pro and still don't have an answer. :o( I have plenty of other plants to work with so its not the problem of needing the plants. Its the way of geting help that is so frustrating.

ïÏøçö

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:36 PM

Absolutely ... to offer such a complex product and not offer tech support is absolutely ludicrous. I've expressed this opinion to Lynne in the past, and had hoped some change would come as I was told they were looking into that option. Personally, I don't think it is an option ... especially if you're touting a "professional" product and targeting a pro audience. Some things are nearly impossible to troubleshoot via email/message posts. Sometimes you need instant feedback. Without a doubt it is very frustrating and MUCH, MUCH more time consuming. I can't imagine those providing the support enjoy the format all that much most of the time either. I feel sorry for them as well. I have a whole list of issues with Vue Pro I need addressed but have been putting it off because I am dreading the tech support process at Eon. Something has to change soon. -Tim

iloco ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:53 PM

I have 3 friends now holding off on Vue because of the problems I have been having. That is not good public relations for a company to not offer good support on what is suppose to be a professional product. No matter how big the issue or how small they are all are important to the consumer. I think what others are seeing and reading is making them hold off on buying the product. I know for a fact of 3 people who will not buy untill some of the issues are resoved with tech and how things have been going.

ïÏøçö

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 9:35 PM

I purchased Vue about three weeks ago. When it comes to this software, I am a complete newbie.

The upgrade to 4.2 went off without a hitch. I am able to import Poser 5 scenes into Vue, no problems. My scenes render beautifully, no crashes.

I can't speak for Vue Pro, as I do not have it.

But, based on my extensive 3-week Vue 4.2 experience, I would HIGHLY recommend this program to any that ask.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 10:18 PM

In your extensive 3-week experience, do you animate or still render only with Vue? Just curious. -Tim

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 10:49 PM

So far, still renders only. In fact, I tend to doubt that I will ever do much animating. Animation requires a lot of time.....and I do this for fun, not for profit.

On the other hand, if the mood ever strikes me...we'll see.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 10:52 PM

Ask me that question again in six months.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 10:57 PM

If I were a still-only artist I'd probably be pretty happy with Vue. Most of this bugs and/or lackluster features with Vue involve animation. My current main issues with Vue Pro are all based on problems occuring when animation toolsets are used. -Tim

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:11 PM

Believe me, as a Poser vetran of many years (unlike my Vue newbie status)---

It's a pleasure to watch a P5 scene render in Vue. Especially when Poser 5 itself does nothing but choke on rendering the same scene. Attempting to render a complex scene directly in P5 can be a true hair-pulling experience. Carefully spending half a day putting together a scene in Poser, and then having Poser 5 lock-up on the render -- just makes my day, you bet.

Right now, I'm VERY pleased simply to have a render program that actually WORKS for a change.....most likely, I'm going to be doing my modeling in Poser, and all of my rendering in Vue.

As for animations, I'll take one step at a time. Perhaps e-on will come out with a "magic bullet" patch.

There's always hope.

Mikeangelo ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 3:41 AM

file_82829.jpg

I thought I would put on an example of the Vue preview for an imported texture, it can differ, sometimes it is mostly program icons, this preview contains Vue icons and various Windows buttons, this only started occurring after a bug fix update. Eon had no answer to it, though I was told that I had not been the only person to have the problem. This happens with everything other than Windows explorer and systray disabled in start-up programs, Eons answer was reload Windows which for me means reformat, as I dont have a separate Windows CD, and refomating makes no difference. Maybe its my Windows operating system that should be ditched, the fact that it works happily with all other graphics programs proves nothing, and Vue cannot be at fault, because some people have no problems. Or maybe as Grunthor said its the operators fault, I suppose I cut and pasted all the buttons and icons into the preview Window, sorry to be facetious, but I didnt start the facetious comments. Had Grunthor looked at my gallery he would have seen that I dont dislike Vue, and have done a reasonable amount of work with it, I just dont like the problems, is that being unreasonable, if so I am sorry. I will just say again, it is not the fault of my set-up, it is quite obviously a problem Vue has with my set-up, and those things need to be ironed out. Eon do what Wings has done, (even though Wings is a free program), get your own forum and let people work out the problems on that, then people would not need to voice them elsewhere. Dave

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 4:10 AM

Hmmmm... Have you run something like Norton's WinDoctor in Utilities? Because that -looks- an awful lot like a crosslink problem in the ActiveXCOM section of your registry. Windows is notorious for leaving registry stubs (and for that matter, too many other programs do as well) and HP is notorious for 'customizing' Windows and creating issues. What you are -seeing- is into one of the system dll's for the windows GUI display. I've seen mouse drivers cause that (you don't have a scrollwheel set to web-wheel, do you? That one is plain =evil= with graphics programs of many flavors). If you haven't done so, then buy or borrow a copy of Norton Utilities, back up the registry, and let it traipse merrily over your platters. You may be appalled at the number of errors you will be presented with. If that doesn't work, you will definitely need a registry guru.... :

Mikeangelo ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 6:20 AM

I owe Grunthor an apology for misreading his comment regarding Purlonious; I had not realised that there had originally been a comment from Purlonious on the thread. I read Grunthors comment as suggesting I was Purlonius using a different name, and as many could tell you I loathe this practice of multi ids, so was a little disgruntled, I would ask Grunthor to accept my apologies. Thanks Dale for you suggestions, it is appreciated, I do actually run Win doctor on a regular basis, and apart from occasional registry errors if I have installed or uninstalled something, I get no other problems other than occasional incorrect shortcuts. Even reformat did not solve this problem, or the shutdown problem, the problem shown does not occur in any other programs previews, and in fact did not occur in Vue until directly after one of the bug fix updates, on the mouse the answer is no I do feel that its a clash between Vue and my set-up, as I have known others with programs that worked fine on mine, did not on theirs, that has usually been solved by the software company in question, looking closer at why certain set-ups have a problem. Obviously this particular problem isnt major but I find the shut down problems a lot of hassle, I have learned to live with Vues other intermittent problems. Thanks anyway for a constructive response. Dave.

iloco ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 8:18 AM

Back to e-on's slow responce time with tech support. I think if they had a good forum for customers like this forum or a vbb, ubb or even a free board like invision board it would cut down on their tech support time in helping customers. When a customer can go into a forum and read what other members have done to fix a problem that saves from sending e-on a support ticket. I go through the faq's and see so many of the same issues repeated over and over but no answers in them that solved the problems. They most always leave the part out that fixed the problem. :o) A lot of customers could then get involved and help other customers that had simliar problems and that would help cut down on e-ons support time so they could deal with major issues and bug fix's. This is just my idea but I see that it works on other sites like at vbb, photopost and all the bullentin board sites. Daz has now started a forum with lots people getting help fast with model and poser problems from other members. I want to say I have Vue 4.12 and have not had any problems with it. I do not do animations so can't help with that part of it. I will continue to use it untill e-on can get things working that I have had problems with in Vue Pro. Most noticebly adding what I thought would have been simple. The Plants.........? No its not my system because others are haveing the same problems but I can not get it resoved because of the slow tech support which need improvements in a fast sort of way :o)

ïÏøçö

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 11:57 AM

Dave: I've been getting screen "Redraw" issues as well, but not like you have, and I'm using Vue Pro now. I'm experimenting with some things in Vue Pro to try and isolate the problem. I'm not sure yet, so don't quote me, but I'm beginning to suspect Vue has a serious memory leak issue, that may be releated to the multiple UNDO. We'll see ... -Tim

e-on ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 1:08 PM

Mikeangelo, what you are seeing is a glitch in your video driver. This is a problem with some video drivers under Win 9x. I'm assuming that this is the system you are using? Switching to another color depth (e.g. 24/32 bpp) usually solves the problem. Please let me know if that's not the case. Iloco, having a dedicated support forum is a very good idea. I'm going to suggest we setup something like that. Best regards.

iloco ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 1:34 PM

Thanks e-on. That would be great and help both you and your customers I believe. :o)

ïÏøçö

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 3:19 PM

Any plans for true (i.e. phone-based) tech support? There should be no reason you can't have at least one person answering the phones for tech support. No need for it to be toll-free or anything. I'd even be interested in a pay-as-you-go or annual plan for tech support. AT LEAST we'd have an option. Non voice contact support with a product this complex is simply inexcusable. I use Canopus products (realtime editing hardware and software) and they have a very limited tech support staff --I believe it is only ONE person, but MAYBE two. However, they seem to do a relatively good job. They have a customer base easily as large as E-On's (if not much larger) with technical issues as/more complex than those involved with Vue. Surely you can see to add just one person to your staff, can't you? -Tim

iloco ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 3:31 PM

I agree with you timeoteo1. At lest they have acknowledge that they might give us a true forum. That would be one big step in the right direction. Phone support would sure be nice for complex issue that need immediate attention and could not be taken care of with a forum. :o) e-on if I can remember correctly is the first software company I have delt with that doesn't have some kind of phone support. :o) "lol" Kind of reminds me dealing with my lawyer. Get back with ya and never hear from him again. :o)

ïÏøçö

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 3:44 PM

I agree that a forum is a STEP in the right direction. My only fear is that they will see it as THE solution, and it might further encourage them to forgo true tech support. Yes, E-on is the only company I have heard of that does not offer some kind of phone support. I have a lot of software and have never found a company that did not offer phone support in one form another. (Not including shareware, but a LOT of them even offer phone support!) Actually, what's worse is they do not even have simple CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPPORT, let alone technical. I have never been able to talk to ANYONE at E-on. Yeah, they have a generic order line, but that isn't helpful at all. Unless you have a credit card in your hand and know exactly what you want -- i.e. they ONLY take orders, and have not been able to answer the most rudimentary questions about sales/service. Again, going to the professional market, this would not be the image I would want to project to that segment if I were running E-on. I wouldn't want to project it to the consumer/pro-sumer segment for that matter, but that's water over the dam now. -Tim

Lynn ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 5:01 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12368&Form.ShowMessage=1515145

Tim, We are working on a solution for the Pro market. That being said, you are incorrect about there being no customer service support. What's provided is in response to the issue at hand, but it comes with the assumption of that the support is free and that what's wanted is free support. Most of the issues that come in through knowledge base questions are usually already answered in the knowledge base (ie download a new driver from Nvidia, download recent Vue update, try without OpenGL, turn off old copy of Crashguard, etc). We can have someone tell a customer to do that over the telephone, but do you want to pay to get that kind of information? The assumption for Pro's is that they do, because they really need an answer yesterday. For customers who want it free, its self help first, then email support. Microsoft does the same thing. You can get free email support from Microsoft, however it take 2-3 business days to get an answer. Fortunately we can do a little better than that without asking for a credit card. If we get a problem (one that isnt "hey, I have a problem, please call me!") that we think cannot be solved by self-help or email then we call. Since its clear that you want to have a paid for support program, Id be interested in hearing from you and from others about what you'd like to have and what you think is reasonable to pay for support. Lets assume that self-help and free non-urgent email support stays free and only look at paid for support. Now is really a good time to give feedback on this so we can develop a program thats wanted and feasible. Im going to start a new message with the topic "Paid For Tech Support Program" as the title. Can we move this thread there? Best regards, Lynn Fredricks e-on software

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.