Wed, Sep 25, 10:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 9:47 am)

Subject: Finally!

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 16 January 2010 at 8:57 PM

Looks like he's coming along nicely 

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 16 January 2010 at 10:43 PM

will our old poses including hand poses for G3 figures, M3 and M4 approximately work for him?
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 16 January 2010 at 11:11 PM · edited Sat, 16 January 2010 at 11:11 PM

I don't know what your hand looks like Esther, but when I do what I described, it is obvious that the hand is folding right across because that is the base of the whole knuckle pattern. It's not merely flesh bunching up; it's where the actual first knuckle bend properly appears on the inside of the hand. In comparison, most 3D figures I've seen seem to treat the first set of knuckles as entirely part of the fingers rather than essentially as a unified group at the base of the fingers.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 16 January 2010 at 11:13 PM

The outside doesn't change much because all that is happening is a knuckle rotation and the skin moves over the knuckles.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 8:07 AM

/me is still staring at my hands now...

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Diogenes ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 10:41 AM

Quote -  will our old poses including hand poses for G3 figures, M3 and M4 approximately work for him?
Love esther

No his JP's are too different to work with those poses. What if he had puppetmaster support would that solve the pose thing? I am pretty sure he can be used for the P8 figure poses, I will have to look again but I think the structure of the rigs is close enough to be compatible. However, they will still need adjustments. I can fairly easily make all the hand poses or other you could ever want. It's pretty easy really to translate any Pose, you just have to know what the differences between the two rigs are.

I know everyone likes canned poses, and eventually Brad will have scores of them, but for a start I will include some basic poses, maybe translate a bunch from the ones I have for other figures if that is allowed, not sure on that.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 11:25 AM

Not everyone loves canned poses.. I think I've maybe used less then 10 in 5 years or so.

Diogenes ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 12:05 PM

file_446652.jpg

I'm with you Gareee :) I enjoy doing my own. Some times I use a canned pose as a start if it is somewhere close to something I want.

Here's a little 10 minute pose. No hand posing yet still working on fingers Move the geometry and have to match the bones.  All the centers get messed up too so just have to do them over.

cute little Pose called OOOH Bug!

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 1:59 PM

Or "OOOH! My contact lens!" Or "Stop Littering!"

I use canned poses to get started, and go from there. NO canned pose is exactly what I want, but they make great jumping off points to make new ones.  Having some ordinary poses (Like sitting and talking, watching TV, driving car, walking, standing around with various body languages, and such) is always a jumping off place.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Diogenes ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 4:45 PM

Hi,

Question:

When you replace bodypart with a prop can that be welded automatically? If so may I not use that to switch the gens? And can the prop replacement be a rigged prop with bodyparts of its own?

I would really like to figure out a way to not have the gens loaded with the figure unless its needed. Because it would cut out quite a number of poly's if it did not need to be there.

Thanks in advance for an answer.

Mike.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 5:26 PM

Hi, well I have dozens of schlabber poses that I use as a starting point.  They are for V3 but with universal poses set to on in poser they even aren't too bad on M4
Love esther

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 5:38 PM

"Replace" does NOT weld automatically. I wish they did. I use it all the freaking time, but it doesn't weld. :cursing:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela

ladydrakana ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 1:47 PM

Quote - Hi,

Question:

When you replace bodypart with a prop can that be welded automatically? If so may I not use that to switch the gens? And can the prop replacement be a rigged prop with bodyparts of its own?

I would really like to figure out a way to not have the gens loaded with the figure unless its needed. Because it would cut out quite a number of poly's if it did not need to be there.

Mike.

Wouldn't a prop with bodyparts be a figure, more or less? Other wise, you would need to include morphs for all movement. Requiring anyone who wanted a different angle. So to speak. To have to create a new morph.  Please ignore my ignorance if I have this wrong.

The only suggestions I can think of at this minute is to either release two models. One with gens and one without. Either packaged seperately or together. Or do like DAZ does and make the gens a conforming figure.

Ladydrakana

Poser Pro 2010

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 2:40 PM

*"Hi,

Question:

Mike.*"

Check the femina swaphip zip on my 2007 freebies page.  It shows how to use geometry insertion poses with INJ-REM to swap out a genitals hip (for Vicky 1 or 2).  The process preseves welding.

http://www.the.cage.page.phantom3d.net/2007/BGpage.html

(And thanks for hosting the files, BTW!  :D )

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 3:19 PM

phantom3D:

Hmmm. I know it would be technically cool to make Brad's equipment fold out like the tools in a Swiss Army Knife, but it sounds like a difficult technical problem. These kinds of technical challenges seem to introduce new problems for each possible solution, and each solution seems to break something. My runtimes are on a 1 TB drive, and my Poser applications are on a 500 GB drive.

How radical of an idea is it to have a Brad with equipment, and a Brad without equipment? I, for one, have the drive space for two Brads of each resolution (poly-count). I know that some people are intent upon saving drive space, but it would be a lot easier to have two Brads, and would save a lot of work time. Morphs specific to the genitals could be injected separately. And almost all poses would work on both figures. I guess this solution might create some texturing issues though?

If the two Brads suggestion is a bad idea, what prevents a morph that shrinks and moves the equipment inside (like the morphs that hides a figure’s ears)? I think that Grotto's Insectoid uses this method (among others) to radically morph M4 into an alien.

If all else fails, one could always make the genital parts of Brad invisible in properties to prevent poke-through. If Brad is wearing cloths, I can't imagine it would matter. Only the skimpiest garment would be effected.

Good luck on figuring out a way for Brad to conveniently stow his tools.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 5:30 PM

yeah, I'd like two. One for naked scenes (I hardly ever do these) and one for dressed scenes.
love esther

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 5:58 PM · edited Mon, 18 January 2010 at 5:59 PM

For the "Non-toast" one, he needs a morph to his hip to show a package as if his stuff were there in underwear. This will aid GREATLY in making clothes for him AND avoid the dread "eunuch" syndrome that any of the Mikes suffer from! I am SO tired of guys in poser looking like they all have been emasculated!:scared:

Even when DAZ has done that to their figures.:laugh:

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 5:59 PM

great thinking!

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 6:02 PM · edited Mon, 18 January 2010 at 6:04 PM

Oh! Cage, that is just what I wanted! Yup this seems like it will work for this problem. Thanks bud, I've been trying to figure this out for awhile.   This method from what I gather allows you to insert the geometry later without it being "loaded" in memory with the figure, thereby  saving the resources if you are not using the gens. Takes a bit of coding but not too much.  So then do I have permission to use this?  And you're welcome always.

lkendall, using two sets of geometry would not cause any problems with textures since the gens are on a totally separate map. And that method is a failsafe way to do it, but how would you switch in the middle of a scene? Also I have to think about download if I go through Poser Addicts to host the files, an extra obj for the entire figure is quite a bit extra. But I do have a domain name with lots of space for downloading, I just dont have a page built yet. I can always do that and save Poser Addicts the cost.

Esther:  there will certainly be a choice of gens or no gens. I do expect to make clothes for Brad at some point, cant keep him naked forever. :lol:  So I will need to have the no gens option.  Plus I am getting tired of having to hide each part of the gens to make pics to show.....

**ladydrakana: ** Yes it certainly would be a figure, by some standards just like conforming clothes are considered a figure, but to me the gens are just a rigged prop, being that they are an add on to the figure. :)  I chose not to use the Daz method of supplying  a conforming prop for the gens because they dont weld to the figure and always look sloppy and dont match at the seems. Plus Poser treats them as a separate peice and the shading is never correct when rendered because of the way the light is handled.

But if all else fails I will just include a second obj.

Joel,  I certainly will do that I know exactly what you mean, the dreaded barbie doll effect.

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 8:42 PM

*"but how would you switch in the middle of a scene?"

What? As in a strip-tease annimation? LOL. Brad must have talents that I have not even imagined.

I don't know how to switch anything in the middle of a scene, I don't do annimations. Some one else would have to suggest that.

It sounds as if Cage may have the better idea anyway, if you can use his method.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 9:24 PM

Well, I read in the readme that I would be allowed to adapt this method as I wish, so hopefully I can get it to work.

Cage....................Any chance , I can get an un encrypted copy of that pz2? Really would like to read it through try to follow what you did. Please :)

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 9:42 PM · edited Mon, 18 January 2010 at 9:44 PM

Cage:

In reading that thread over, I gather that I would need to add a line for each part of the gen with a weld line in the pz2 ?  Since there are 10 separate body parts in the gen I would list all 10 and their location and a corresponding weld line at the bottom as you did for lButtock and rButtock.  Yes?

In your example below you use a storage offset   with a number. Is it important to have a particular number?  Is it the same number as i will find in the cr2 for the actor I am inserting? Thanks for letting me pick you brain, much appreciated.

{

version
 {
 number 5
 }
actor rButtock
 {
 storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:Cagedrei:Vicky:rbutt.obj
 }
actor lButtock
 {
 storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:Cagedrei:Vicky:lbutt.obj
 }

actor hip
 {

}

actor rButtock
 {

}

actor lButtock
 {

}

figure
 {
 weld    rButtock
 hip
 weld    lButtock
 hip
 }
}

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 10:57 PM · edited Mon, 18 January 2010 at 11:06 PM

mike, I have an item similar to that, with a similar no. of sections modelled sevl. yrs ago by
a guy at "the other site", but in his case it was a conforming figure.  this was an early poser
modeller who did the first realistic muscle morphs for the p3 figures - strideri IIRC.  I didn't find out
what he did about geom switching, but it was easier conformed to a no-gens figure.

p.s. the poses are looking very good IMVHO.

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 11:32 PM

Thanks Miss Nancy :) I think I'm fiiinally gonna get this figure done this time.

Could the item you mention weld into the figure when called? That's what I am truely after is a way to insert the gens and have them weld in. I am trying this method by Cage and Les right now, going to take me a bit. I am thinking since it is a pose file I will also be able to add the pose of the gens to it and have them come in posed, otherwise people may get a shock.
:laugh:

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 11:53 PM

in strideri's case it conformed, like a cloth.  I dunno if he later developed it to weld.  it had its own body parts, its own JPs et al., but of course it was a non-standard poser figure hierarchy.  it had
13 sections, but there was limited poser smoothing in those days (2003).  I also never found out
if he released it for sale.  I can't post an image, but it was 3434 polygons.  welding it onto hip1 or
hip2 would be better for close-ups, and in theory it could have its own morphs for use under trousers,
in case they wanted to drape cloths over it.

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 1:03 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 1:05 PM

Sounds good Miss Nancy.  Thanks, but I already have a genital that I like, I think I may be able to work this out. Thanks for any insight you can give.

Here's what I have for the genital insertion pose.

{

version
 {
number 5
 }
actor genital
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:phantom3D:Brad1:genital.obj
 }
actor testes
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 }
actor penis1
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 }
actor penis2
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 }
actor penis3
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 }
actor penis4
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 }
actor penis5
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 }
actor glanspenis
 {
storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
 }

actor hip
 {

}

actor genital
 {

}

actor testes
 {

}

actor penis1
 {

}

actor penis2
 {

}

actor penis3
 {

}

actor penis4
 {

}

actor penis5
 {

}

actor glanspenis
 {

}

figure
 {
 weld genital
 hip
 weld testes
 genital
 weld penis1
 genital
 weld penis2
 penis1
 weld penis3
 penis2
 weld penis4
 penis3
 weld penis5
 penis4
 weld glanspenis
 penis5
 }
}

The problem with it so far is that while it does import and weld the geometry to the hip it comes in as one single group all called genital, it does not save and import each separate group. So what I am going to try next is to have each body part as a separate obj and see if it will work that way.  I also left out two parts which I will have to include later, but lets see if I can get it working right first.

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 1:44 PM

making each part a separate obj worked to keep the groups and get all the peices in , but it seems to break all the parent bonds so each bone will bend but cannot share any poly's with child or parent.  Hmmm.........

Perhaps there is a way to reparent them with the same pose? anyone know?

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 2:07 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 2:15 PM

Oop!  I've been offline since yesterday.  Sorry for the delay in responding.

I don't think the storageOffset values need to be as I have them in the pose file.  I trimmed down a .cr2 to build the pose, and the storageOffsets were inherited.  I think I've seen a value of storageOffset 0 0 0 used successfully with objFileGeom.

As noted in the readme for my zip, LesBentley has done a lot of work with the same idea, and he perhaps deserves more credit than I for the overall method.  I believe he's found that a geometry insertion pose can work without the weld statements in place, but I've always felt more comfortable including them.  At any rate, you most definitely can use the method.  It's public knowledge, with explanations on two or three threads (sorry, I don't have bookmarks...) on this forum.

The method swaps the geometries by using a pose, and doesn't require the alternate geometry to be in memory.  I've found it to be less frustrating than the built-in geom-swapping methods, including the genitals switch.  Unfortunately, there won't be a special Poser button or dial to make the switch.  And, obviously, the alternate geometry files need to be in the proper location.

Do you already have the body parts in place in the .cr2 when you load the separate geometries?  The .cr2 will need to contain the body parts already before the pose will work fully.  So there should be "ghost" listings in the genital-free .cr2, which the insertion pose will modify with new geometries and then update with welds.  If there aren't existing parts, you wouldn't have the parenting information present in the .cr2.

I don't think poses which try to change a body part hierarchy, or insert a body part from scratch, have ever been shown to work.  So far, it's looked like a part needs an existing .cr2 listing, much like with morph insertion: you need to have the slot already in place, even if it's empty and hidden.  LesBently or another of the PoserTech experts might have better information in this area.  Sadly, it's been awhile since I've worked with these ideas; I'm a bit rusty.  😊

Edit:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2707794&page=2

Well, I read the thread advised on my own page, and it clarifies some of the points above.  The storageOffset 0 0 0 can be used interchangeably with the value I have in the file.  Poser will alter to all zeroes on its own, for reasons never determined.

Apparently the weld statements are necessary, unless updated information is available in another thread.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 3:38 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 3:39 PM

Hi Cage thanks.

Yes I have all the body parts in the figure cr2. and everything works fine as far as inserting the geometry.  But you can bend the parts, but they do not share polys between child and parent. If however I just pop into the setup room and back out again everything works perfectly. So something must be getting turned back on by doing that.

I will go make some pics to illustrate what I mean. Be back in a few.

Thanks a bunch for this too BTW. I know once I get this one hitch worked out it'll be perfect.

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 4:14 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 4:16 PM

file_446782.jpg

OK here is what I get for bends when I first insert the geometry into the figure.

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 4:18 PM

file_446783.jpg

And this is what I get by just going into the setup room and back out again. this is what I want it all works well. So something must be getting turned back on by doing that. There must be something else I need to write into the file.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 5:58 PM

Quote "Sounds good Miss Nancy.  Thanks, but I already have a genital that I like,"

You are going to go down in poser history for this quote.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 6:18 PM

^ What she said!:laugh: I hope we all have genitals we like!:lol:

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 6:26 PM

In case you don't want to read back through, it was phantom3D who said that memorable line.

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 6:44 PM

OK, thanks, nice to be known for something.  🆒

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 7:19 PM

I think the problem has something to do with the deformers. If I change the joint order rotation the poly's begin to bend normally, and then I can change it back and they will work correctly. I have to do this for each part of the genital, so something must be getting screwed up with the deformers in the process of inserting the geometry.

Any ideas, anyone?

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 8:19 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 8:21 PM

OK, Well I have tried about all I can think of. I put in bend lines and no bend lines. Tried using a cr2 with all the joint info as a pz2, worked but the same as befor.  So dangit, wanted to have the gens poppin in and out as you please but no go.

So since i flat refuse to have unwelded gens in the figure its back to two full geometry files, and you'll just have to pick the one you want for your scene the first time. 

This geometry insertion will be great though for other things, it looks like you can get a couple of body parts in that will work but any more than 2 or 3 and they quit bending properly. This would be great for Bagginsbills eyes though, you could swap them out as you please, or have the cover on them or not, or insert it when you like. As long as the bones are there.

Paloth ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 9:53 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 10:03 PM

I don't know if this would work, but perhaps you could switch the entire hip part between the realistic and the censored version of the figure.  

The zone you've chosen for removal is less than ideal since the remaining geometry would get in the way of a skintight superhero outfit, for example. 

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 10:26 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 10:27 PM

i'm sorry, but what's wrong with two different characters?  i'm still not understanding that.  it's really easy to replace instead of add a figure to a scene.  and you wouldn't have to bog down your main runtime with a bunch of figure specific files.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 11:20 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 11:23 PM

Huh.  I haven't seen that problem before with insertion poses, but then I've admittedly never tried anything this complicated with them, either.

Have you tried putting the desired JP data into the pose?  Just copy the JPs from the .cr2 into the pose file.  Maybe that will work to prompt Poser to properly update the joints.  I'm just guessing, though.  😊  Just combining the geometry insertion pose with a standard joint insertion pose?  Hmm.  Maybe....  (Walks in circles, mumbling.)

Edit:  Oh, wait.  It looks like you tried that.  In which case... I got nothin'.  Dang.  :blushing:  Sorry.

And cobaltdream does have a point.  The insertion process may be undesirably complicated.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 19 January 2010 at 11:26 PM · edited Tue, 19 January 2010 at 11:27 PM

The only other thing I can think of would be chaining a series of geometry insertion poses, using readScript, or using Python to load a series of the poses sequentially.  Maybe if each body part had a finalized pose before the next one was loaded, the JP problem would go away.

But at that point it seems like it has become undesirably complicated, really.

Diogenes ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 7:11 AM · edited Wed, 20 January 2010 at 7:12 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Paloth  : I could do the whole hip but then we're back to the too many bodyparts for the insertion to work properly. And just doing  a regular geometry swap doesn't really save you anything on poly's since they are loaded with the figure even if they are not in the scene. I think rather than that I would just do the hideaway morph.

Cobaltdream: A seperate genital figure as is usually done?  Well now it's just my opinion but to me it always looks llike shit. Bend the figure much at all and it simply does not match anymore and cant follow the figures movements properly, because it cannot bend with the figure. Plus they get treated as seperate objects by Poser rendering and they look off for that reason as well.  Now you can do carefully contrived poses to hide the flaws, but I dont want that. I want to be able to bend and kick and fly, soar with the eagles or crawl in the tunnels with the orcs. Everything must match from all angles. And if people dont want to clutter up their runtime with an extra figure, quite easy to delete it.

The hide away morph is intrigueing as well............. Oh hey what about using the insertion pose backwards? If the default figure simply loads with gens and you dont want gens, just use the insertion pose to insert the single no gen piece? That solves the problem nicely. And it could easily load with a hide pose too......just thinking. Simple solution I like it.

Cage the insertion poses are superb, but not for something with this many parts. I am pretty sure that the deformers are just not getting updated somehow. But like I said it worked perfectly for inserting something that has fewer parts and I intend to take full advantage of this process. I can think of quite a number of things I want to use it for. So thanks again for this great tool.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 7:25 AM

CP Figures have have three body parts for the separate genitals. eliminate the hip actor and they only have the penis and scrotum. THAT wouldn't be to many, it seems.

I think a serious question from a developer's point of view is "How many actors do you NEED in it?"

Normal movements of bending can be easily done with morphs or magnets.  Most users are going to want to go to the set-up room to activate some bending.. The question in this problem needs to be asked of how many are TOO many and few are TOO few?

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 7:49 AM · edited Wed, 20 January 2010 at 7:51 AM

no, not a separate genital figure. sorry, i was being unclear.  2 different full characters.  the community went away from different characters because DAZ didn't allow it.  V1 and V2 were the same mesh, but V2 had more morphs.  so they didn't want people distributing V2 characters and giving V1 owners an incidental upgrade.  this continues to be an issue with just about any commercial morph set.  it was driven by commercial needs, not by usability.  i mean, there are benefits, but there are a lot of drawbacks as well.  and you're the creator.  DAZ provides multiple characters, and it's not a problem.  you're in their role, not the average developer's.

in this case, i'm not sure i see a huge benefit compared to needing to bog down the main runtime even more and use something that will almost certainly break for a significant percentage of the audience because complicated technology does that.

though, i will say as someone who likes extreme poses, i'm kind of skeptical that avoiding a conforming genital will solve the problems you're describing. they don't need to bend with the figure, they need to move based on the pose and orientation.  which means, in my experience with female figures and hair and breasts, for most of those situations, mostly separately.  a split on the ground produces entirely different behavior than a vertical split.  laying flat on the back on the ground is complete different than standing straight up or even laying flat on the stomach.  it's actually the "we know how this should behave" items that need specific poses, because when you go outside of the expected you have unwanted effects. 

and i know this because i always find myself outside of the expected poses, fighting what the creator thought would work.  i don't know what it is about me, but even when i think i've chosen a pose that should work with something, i'm wrong.  9 times out of 10, even conforming rather than parenting is inconvenient because of this.   i have NBM for V3, and found auto-mode just about never worked out for me.

i say this just as an FYI, not because i want to talk you out of anything.  i've never found they rendered off, or had the problems that others have with that, so i certainly know nothing about (and have nothing against) solving it.  but in terms of performance with poses, i suspect that the difference is just you created one and you didn't create the others.  if you made your own conforming figure, it would probably work well in your tests, too.  that doesn't mean it will work well for anyone else who thinks differently and can't sculpt their own morphs.  so don't be disappointed if people have the same problems you just described, but more so because it does change automatically instead of exactly as the user decides.

Diogenes ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 8:30 AM

I do have a conforming genital that I made, I hate it for the same reasons I have always hated conforming genitals. They dont deform properly with the rest of the body and you can see the seams. You can always hide it with hair I guess

As for two complete figures, I wouldn't mind at all, and would be my first choice, except for the download/package size issue, which I almost dont care about since I have my own web space to use if needed. As for performance there is a huge difference IMO. I will show what I mean a bit later. When you pose the gens to match the body pose it's not just the gens that move, the skin from around the gens should show the effects of that bend. Now you can do this by adding JCM's and morphs, magnets , and all sorts of other stuff, but why should I when I can do it better with a welded gen and proper rigging?

Joel, yes thats true CP figures have few parts and the gens are worthless IMO. Satanica Inc. has been around for quite some time now, and seems to be quite popular,  Hmmm wonder why? Not trying to be a smart ass. :) But perhaps for you the gens need not much functionality. But this is not true for many people out there, and the extra functionality hurts you not at all and benifits others.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 8:54 AM · edited Wed, 20 January 2010 at 8:58 AM

I must be missing something, then. ALRIGHTY then--for picking up coconuts from the floor, just bend morphs AREN'T gonna cut it!:laugh: Or for dialing the phone,either.

I was just asking, how many actors give you what you seem to need? Is there any way to pare down the number so it will work?

Coconuts aside.:lol: Reminds me of the old joke: Night-time at a house of ill-repute and then the door-bell rings. The madam answers the door and there stands a man with two broken arms.

She asks,"You want a woman? How can you do anything like that?"

He says,"I rang the doorbell, didn't I?" :laugh:

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 9:40 AM

Quote - As for performance there is a huge difference IMO. I will show what I mean a bit later. When you pose the gens to match the body pose it's not just the gens that move, the skin from around the gens should show the effects of that bend. Now you can do this by adding JCM's and morphs, magnets , and all sorts of other stuff, but why should I when I can do it better with a welded gen and proper rigging?

because i'll bet that the first time i try to do a nude with him, these effects you think are natural are going to be very inaccurate and problematic for me.  and not because i'll be trying.  i really, really hope i'm wrong.  but i've never had any creator do this kind of predicting work for me.  including DAZ, Anton, and other highly skilled content creators.  and i mostly base my poses on photo references.

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 10:03 AM

Why make two different figures?

This would be my solution:

1 figure, with poseble genitals. Add some extra poly loops around the genitals where the group connects to the hip.

Then do a fbm, reducing the gen size to microscopic, and move those up into the hip. Complete Tthe morph by snapping the edge points where the gen attaches to the hip, and then space those extra loops out, so you can make a nice smooth uv map without distortion there.

Turn the fbm ON, and save.

Now weld those point surrounding the gen attachement, so displacement maps can still be moved, and relax the uv map there.

save that new obj file.

On the non gen cr2, change the obj reference to the new hidden gen obj file.

Now you easily have 2 cr2 files, both with displacement ability, one with working gen, and one with it hidden, and adding to either cr2 is easy, because you just need to turn the fbm on, and change the obj reference. Developers then have a very easy way to hack the cr2 adding scaling or whatever, or adding morphs.

Diogenes ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 10:52 AM

Yes! I have the insertion pose working perfectly. The backwards thing did the trick. The figure loads with the genitals, if you dont want the genitals all you have to do is click on the pose file and the genitals get replaced with a low poly welded fill in piece, which since it is a single piece bends just fine.

Joel all issues solved no problems with as many actors as I please in the gens. But I will say I want about as much functionality as you find in the Satanica gens, but with half the poly's, and that takes extra groups and bones.

Cobaltdream, I am not predicting for you at all. This is for me and always has been. I will not under any circumstance have conforming genitals, for the reasons stated above. You can use all the conforming gens you want, but they're not for me.

Garee, that is a good idea too, something to try. You know that would be perfect too for those furries (I think thats what they're called?) Well, I got this insertion pose working well now and it cuts out some 10,000 poly's this way. Gees I think thats a whole out fit of clothes ainit?

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:11 AM

A poly removing pose? Wowee! That all by itself sounds cooler than hell!

I wasn't wrestling with your genitals.... I mean I didn't want to fight with your genitals....

:laugh: So much for trying for a clean way to word it! I had problem with your huge genitals...:lol: I just wanted to make sure you hadn't bitten off more than you can chew.

OMG! I give up. Your genitals have beaten me!

At this point perhaps I should post a picture from lolcats or something, but I ain't bringing no pussies around YOUR genitals!  DAMMIT! :laugh: ALrighty--I'm out of here! ^__^V,,

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.