Mon, Jul 8, 6:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 8:11 pm)

Subject: Poser 12 Internet Access

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 6:41 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2024 at 1:11 PM

Sorry for asking about Poser 12 at such an early stage, but I just saw a post in another thread that has me thinking Poser 12 might need internet access to operate. Was something announced?

I'm personally not interested in Poser 12 if that's the case, I'd rather just stick purely to blender. I can live with needing software activation over the internet, but not a constant or repetitive requirement for the software to call home, I'm not having that.

Anyway, I didn't want to derail the other thread, so I'm asking here. If anyone has a link to any information about how Poser 12 will be connected by means of the internet, please post a link.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 6:49 AM

I think it's far too early to be asking anything specific about P12 at this time, but most likely you'll at least need Internet connection to activate the program.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 7:01 AM
Online Now!

ATM, only Poser Pro 11.2 phones home for continued activation and this was initiated by Smith Micro when they released Poser 2014 Game Developer. They continued it since and Bondware inherited it. Until something is officially released, Poser 12 is probably still on the drawing board.

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 8:20 AM · edited Mon, 23 December 2019 at 8:20 AM

@Clarkie - It was actually one of your comments that got me curious!

@hborre - Damn, I really hope they remove it before releasing Poser 12 then. I'm ok with needing the internet to activate, but won't buy anything that locks me into a perpetual internet connection, or even a repetitive internet connection.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 9:07 AM

I think I know which comment it was when I mentioned Movie Magic Screenwriter, right? I think they had a great idea. You needed the disc to operate the program if you didn't have internet connection. But everyone's not hooked up to the internet all the time. Some don't want to be, so can't be, and others, like myself literally can't afford it. I've been lucky so far. I honestly thought my connection would be shut off by now, but somehow, I've managed to keep it on. Time's going to come though when i'll be forced to make a decision on which bill to pay, and that one won't be it.

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 11:12 AM

Sorry to hear that, Clarkie, I feel your pain and have only just recently managed to ditch that horrible situation myself. I count myself lucky that I now pay £16 per month for unlimited mobile broadband that also has unlimited tether. In means I can call, text, and use as much data as I wish, and it doesn't matter whether I use a TV, a computer or a tablet, it all just uses my phone as a broadband modem and connects me to the internet that way.

The icing on the cake is that because the sim it uses is installed in my phone, I have those abilities wherever I have my phone. Before that, I was being bled senseless by a landline-based broadband provider, which actually cost me over double that amount and wasn't even unlimited. So just in case you have not thought about it, look into the best unlimited mobile broadband you can get, cause over here, it actually works out better and cheaper than a landline, a lot better and a lot cheaper!

This might have happened in the US as well.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 11:20 AM

Unfortunately, I'm a little tech dated. My introduction to the internet was dial up and it kept my phone tied up for hours. Honestly, I don't know if that would still be the case, but I'm not even close to being interested in finding out.

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 11:32 AM

Well, just putting it out there for you, but no, it doesn't work like those old dial-up things 😄

It's just a sim that you stick in your smartphone, just like any other sim. The difference is that it turns your smartphone into a mobile broadband Wi-Fi router, so you just connect your computer to your phone (wirelessly), instead of connecting it to a modem or router.

Works exactly the same, easy as that!

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 12:05 PM

They've said they might lengthen the time needed between calls home, but it's staying a "feature."

I've noticed I'm getting a lot of notifications (until I turned them off). And they've also talked about being able to browse Rosity and buy stuff from within Poser. So I suspect an active Internet connection is a big part of their future plans for Poser.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 12:32 PM

Retrowave posted at 10:26AM Mon, 23 December 2019 - #4374195

It's just a sim that you stick in your smartphone, just like any other sim. The difference is that it turns your smartphone into a mobile broadband Wi-Fi router, so you just connect your computer to your phone (wirelessly), instead of connecting it to a modem or router.

Might not even need that much work...

I recently upgraded my smartphone this year to a Moto z4, and it came with Hotspot all enabled and ready to go on the phone, w/o issue. It came in handy at the in-laws' house, where they only have a metered Sat. Internet connection... I still had 3g-level connectivity, so I turned on the hotspot so my wife could go online. You might not need a special SIM to do this (I don't).... just check your phone - it might already be there if you have something fairly new (Mine runs Android 9, but I bet 8, 7, and even 6 could do it as well.) Also be sure your phone is unlocked (I buy my phones outright unlocked straight off of Amazon - screw the carrier subsidy jails.)

Note that you're still subject to whatever broadband limits your carrier provides, but it works pretty well for what it does (most times (4G level connectivity) it works just as well as my home rural DSL line does.)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 12:43 PM

randym77 posted at 10:33AM Mon, 23 December 2019 - #4374201

I've noticed I'm getting a lot of notifications (until I turned them off). And they've also talked about being able to browse Rosity and buy stuff from within Poser. So I suspect an active Internet connection is a big part of their future plans for Poser.

Sorta... DAZ used to do something similar, but not for licensing - just as a means of buying stuff from the store through the app. But then, two radically different income models, so that's about as close as they can get for comparison.

Personally, I've decided to wait for 12 and see what comes of it. Even tough I'm not longer on rural Sat. Internet myself (this means I'm no longer metered, yay!), the idea of anything phoning home w/o my explicit permission, for any reason, is bunk (you should see what I had to do to the registry and the home DNS service to keep Windows from doing it... and as soon as Apple removes head from anus and puts a decent GeForce card in their laptops again...?) I also refuse to rent my software (Adobe can go eat a...)

But in all seriousness (though I was dead serious before anyway), no, software should just do what its told after I pay for it without sending potential BI/marketing data to the maker... In this day and age, if a software provider is so worried about piracy that they have to take such steps, then they're in the wrong business, or they need to submit their shiz through a curated App Store -like environment so that everyone knows what's up and can make their purchasing decisions accordingly.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 1:16 PM

E-On did that with Cornucopia3D. I found it really annoying, because stuff available in the store would appear in Vue, as if you owned it. You had to look really closely at the already tiny icon to see the dollar sign or whatever it was that mean you didn't own it, even though it showed in your library. Just scrolling through all that junk was a pain. You could delete them, but they would respawn fairly quickly.

Then came the security breach that took e-On and C3D offline (C3D forever, apparently).

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 1:30 PM

@randym77 - Thanks for the info, sounds unfortunate then. I can understand them having a built-in Renderosity content browser, that makes perfect sense, and I would have done exactly the same in their shoes if I were the owner of Poser. Not a fan of needing a constant connection though; Clarkie, and until just recently, myself, being perfect examples of why.

@Penguinisto - Same here, the capability is built into my phone (iPhone 6S), I was just wording it so that Clarkie understood that all he needs is the correct sim for a smartphone. I only ever use the phone for two things; those being the broadband connection I told Clarkie about, and the nice camera it has. I never use it as an actual phone, I just leave it plugged into the mains all the time, switched-on so that I have an always-on broadband connection without flattening the battery. When I go out, I only take it with me for the camera, but it gets put right back on mains power as soon as I get back in, ready for broadband duties again (hehehe).

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 6:33 AM

randym77 posted at 12:28PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374208

E-On did that with Cornucopia3D. I found it really annoying, because stuff available in the store would appear in Vue, as if you owned it. You had to look really closely at the already tiny icon to see the dollar sign or whatever it was that mean you didn't own it, even though it showed in your library. Just scrolling through all that junk was a pain. You could delete them, but they would respawn fairly quickly.

Then came the security breach that took e-On and C3D offline (C3D forever, apparently).

e-on changed their payment model with the rebirth and is now subscription only, either on a monthly or annual basis. They had a subscription before which included any upgrade, if you cancelled you lost the right to the upgrade but you still had access to the program up to the latest update. Sadly that is not the case with the current subscription model.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 8:45 AM

hornet3d posted at 8:31AM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374283

e-on changed their payment model with the rebirth and is now subscription only, either on a monthly or annual basis. They had a subscription before which included any upgrade, if you cancelled you lost the right to the upgrade but you still had access to the program up to the latest update. Sadly that is not the case with the current subscription model.

Yeah, I know. I love Vue, but I'm not subscribing. They were kind enough to give apparently permanent access to the last version you bought before they went subscription. That's what I'm using. I suppose there could be trouble if Poser updates and scenes no longer import into Vue, but for now, Vue 2016 is working fine for me.

It's just too expensive for the amount I use it. I do subscribe to Photoshop, but it's $9.99/month. Vue, for the cheapest version, is twice that, and I don't use Vue nearly as much as I use Photoshop.

I suppose subscription could be an advantage if you're willing to subscribe for just one month when you need it, then cancel. Especially if you're a big corporation that needs a lot of licenses. But that's such a hassle for an individual user.

If Poser goes subscription, I hope they'll at least do what e-On did, and let people use the last version they bought forever.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 9:25 AM

I don't understand why e-on did that... they really don't have a strong use case these days. I originally bought Vue for exactly two reasons: One, its render engine was WAY superior to what Poser could provide at the time (DS wasn't ready for primetime yet), and two, you could make awesome landscapes with it.

Nowadays, DS has iRay, or Poser and Superfly, wipe out the need for a decent render engine elsewhere, and landscape/atmospherics/HDRI/etc elements can be built and imported, since I assume both can handle massively large scenery these days. So, umm, where exactly does that leave Vue that they can assume a subscription model?

Retrowave ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 9:57 AM

Personally, I think announcing that your product is 'Going Subscription' these days is like giving it the kiss of death 😁

There was a very clear and uncomfortable transition period after Adobe popularised this nonsense and caused many to follow. It was uncomfortable because at the time, the Open Source alternatives weren't quite the power-houses they are today, and people were simply not aware of the alternatives. That is no longer the case, so like I said, I think that announcing that your product is 'Going Subscription' these days is like giving it the kiss of death.

• Don't like Adobe Photoshop constantly sucking on your wallet? - Use GIMP instead.
  • Don't like Adobe converting "Substance" into "Subscription"? - Use ArmorPaint instead.
  • Don't like Adobe Illustrator constantly sucking on your wallet? - Use InkScape instead.
  • Don't like your favourite 3D package going subscription? - Use Blender instead.
  • All of the above are open source, forever free, and forever subscription-free.
  • All of the above work natively in Linux, so you even get to give Apple and Microsoft the big finger.

The situation is really not a problem these days, so while I love Poser dearly, nothing will ever get me to subscribe to it when there are such capable Linux-friendly power-houses out there. In a nutshell, if Poser went subscription then I'm afraid it's going to be a case of 'Bye Bye Poser' where I'm concerned, regardless of how fond I am of it.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 10:08 AM

Just judging from the emails e-On keeps sending me...their main customers are pros. I gather Vue has become a Hollywood staple, for stuff like Avatar's fantasy jungle, Hunger Games, etc. Architects and engineers use it as well, to create "visualizations" of their projects, for bidding, etc.

The reason I bought Vue was because it did instancing so well. It's so easy to create a huge jungle, with each tree at a different angle and a different size and randomly spaced so it doesn't look like it's all one tree. It just has a ton of tools that let you automatically control where and how things "grow" so trees don't end up going through buildings, so grass can grow under trees but other trees can't, etc.

And despite improvements, I can't imagine doing massive forests in Poser or DS.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 10:28 AM

Penguinisto posted at 4:21PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374294

I don't understand why e-on did that... they really don't have a strong use case these days. I originally bought Vue for exactly two reasons: One, its render engine was WAY superior to what Poser could provide at the time (DS wasn't ready for primetime yet), and two, you could make awesome landscapes with it.

Nowadays, DS has iRay, or Poser and Superfly, wipe out the need for a decent render engine elsewhere, and landscape/atmospherics/HDRI/etc elements can be built and imported, since I assume both can handle massively large scenery these days. So, umm, where exactly does that leave Vue that they can assume a subscription model?

I think Vue still has a big lead on Poser when it comes to landscapes and the lower cost subscriptions includes Plant Factory which is very powerful. The other advantage is Vue can call Poser to handle Poser materials so there is no problem with conversions. I use Poser on an almost daily basis but if I want to put my characters into an outdoor scene Vue is still a big winner.

I think that subscriptions change your attitude mind, if you buy a program and do not use it for a month there is no real problem but if you have a monthly subscription you don't use it you feel you have wasted that months subscription. It may encourage you to use it but if you really do not have the time you can be left feeling annoyed.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 11:18 AM

Well, I don't want to blame Bondware for Smith Micro's decision. I won't even blame them for continuing it. That said though, I don't like the subscription price model and there's very little reason for me to continue with it UNLESS Bondware will be making vast improvements in the software by doing so. For justification, we'd have to start checking off bullet points on the wishlists, both past and present to even reach a starting point.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 11:43 AM

EClark1894 posted at 5:34PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374310

Well, I don't want to blame Bondware for Smith Micro's decision. I won't even blame them for continuing it. That said though, I don't like the subscription price model and there's very little reason for me to continue with it UNLESS Bondware will be making vast improvements in the software by doing so. For justification, we'd have to start checking off bullet points on the wishlists, both past and present to even reach a starting point.

I think one big question would be how the subscription was implemented and what happens to Poser 11.2 when/if the new Poser goes subscription. I don't like the deactivation feature one bit but it was a price I was prepared to pay to get to use Superfly and the improved morph brush. Although I did put it off until it was at a ridiculous sale price. Equally, I do not like the idea of subscription but I guess I could live with it providing there was a trade off (I was going to use a latin phrase there but I thought better of it) but that assumes Poser 11.2 continues to work after the subscription model in introduced.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 11:47 AM

I have not seen anything indicating a subscription type of change for upcoming Poser versions. Maybe I am missing something? Maybe it's one of those rumors starting up from time to time from misread posts? Could someone explain please?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 11:50 AM

Rhia474 posted at 12:50PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374312

I have not seen anything indicating a subscription type of change for upcoming Poser versions. Maybe I am missing something? Maybe it's one of those rumors starting up from time to time from misread posts? Could someone explain please?

I'm just supposing, myself.

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 12:24 PM

Penguinisto posted at 12:21PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374204

Retrowave posted at 10:26AM Mon, 23 December 2019 - #4374195

Might not even need that much work...

I recently upgraded my smartphone this year to a Moto z4, and it came with Hotspot all enabled and ready to go on the phone, w/o issue. It came in handy at the in-laws' house, where they only have a metered Sat. Internet connection... I still had 3g-level connectivity, so I turned on the hotspot so my wife could go online. You might not need a special SIM to do this (I don't).... just check your phone - it might already be there if you have something fairly new (Mine runs Android 9, but I bet 8, 7, and even 6 could do it as well.) Also be sure your phone is unlocked (I buy my phones outright unlocked straight off of Amazon - screw the carrier subsidy jails.)

Note that you're still subject to whatever broadband limits your carrier provides, but it works pretty well for what it does (most times (4G level connectivity) it works just as well as my home rural DSL line does.)

I still use a Samsung S4, and it has the wireless hotspot app on it. Only thing you need to be wary of is your data plan and roaming charges. Depending on which options you choose, you can rack up a lot of $$$ on your bill due to roaming if you are out of your area. I've had laptop and Tab A online simultaneously, and the phone handled it well. Battery drains much faster, so having an external battery is a must for any significant length of time operating.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 3:39 PM

Rhia474 posted at 9:30PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374312

I think it is partly due to a thread which explained a conspiracy theory around the wording of the new EULA and partly because there does seem to be a trend towards subscriptions. There is a similar theory about it also happening to Windows 10. Then again there is another theory that Poser on it's last legs or at least it has been regularly voiced ever since I started using Poser just over 20 years ago which always reminds me of tale of the words on a hypochondriacs headstone 'see I told you I was ill'.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 25 December 2019 at 8:24 PM

Rhia474 posted at 8:17PM Wed, 25 December 2019 - #4374312

It was posted on Rosity's official Facebook page a few months ago.

https://www.facebook.com/Poser3DFigures/posts/10157007920217479

It's in the comments. Someone asked if Poser was going subscription like Photoshop, and the official reply was:

"No for now. SM used a third-party to manage licenses, and we are not continuing with that agreement. We have people on both sides of the subscription model, so we are still deciding."

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 25 December 2019 at 10:15 PM

Thank you for that. I still see no indication it was decided; watching where this goes with interest. In my opinion the niche in which Poser resides would make a bad candidate to go subscription.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 25 December 2019 at 11:37 PM · edited Wed, 25 December 2019 at 11:41 PM

IMHO, that would be a shame. Admittedly, I never want to subscribe to software. If I pay for software, I want to be able to use it as long as it runs on my system. But outside of that personal consideration, the subscription model conflicts with Poser's dependence on a content community. Even if you say a little over 50% of the customer base likes it, I'd bet it at least rankles at least a little under 50%. Poser content is largely useless outside of the software. I'd bet about one in ever two customers would feel less confident about buying Poser content if they had to subscribe to use both Poser and the content.

What was the community buying at it's height in activity? Say an average of $50 per month per Poser (and then DS) user? Maybe even $100 per month? Even if the wages/cost of living ratio rose to where it was then, I can't see people paying that kind of money per month on top of a subscription, let alone risking that kind of investment on something they might stop subscribing to. I think I wouldn't ever risk buying any Poser specific content if I had to subscribe to Poser. After all, life happens. eclark is talking about not being able to pay for internet at all. And that's not uncommon here in the states. Last I saw any numbers, Poser is mostly used by hobbyist illustrators who are older. It seems to me a Poser subscription would be the first thing to go if people needed to tighten their belts even a little.

I own a lot of content I got on the "better safe than sorry" principle. I own a lot I haven't used yet. Having been around since 2002 or so, I would have spent hundreds, if not thousands, less if I'd been pressured to only buy what I had plans to use immediately, when I could be sure of still renting Poser. Heck, I'm not even sure I would have bought V4 under those circumstances. I had a lot of issues with her, especially compared to V3, and almost none of them were ever fixed by anyone.

It just seems to me that if Poser went subscription, Poser content sales would take a medium to enormous hit. Depending on how much of the market was pushed to switch from buying based on long term potential to buying for immediate use. I can't imagine a scenario where people who couldn't afford to pay for Poser outright decided to subscribe and buy content, so I can't imagine sales rising. Maybe I'm wrong (I'm sure there are numbers somewhere on this), but for something as non-essential as Poser is for most, I'd bet a one time splurge, at Christmas or a birthday if necessary, would be a more common fit.

But that's just my analysis given what I know. Bondware's data far supersedes mine. If they numbers say subscription would work best, I certainly won't argue. Though I would try to make the best decision for myself.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 4:01 AM

kobaltkween posted at 9:44AM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374489

IMHO, that would be a shame. Admittedly, I never want to subscribe to software. If I pay for software, I want to be able to use it as long as it runs on my system. But outside of that personal consideration, the subscription model conflicts with Poser's dependence on a content community. Even if you say a little over 50% of the customer base likes it, I'd bet it at least rankles at least a little under 50%. Poser content is largely useless outside of the software. I'd bet about one in ever two customers would feel less confident about buying Poser content if they had to subscribe to use both Poser and the content.

What was the community buying at it's height in activity? Say an average of $50 per month per Poser (and then DS) user? Maybe even $100 per month? Even if the wages/cost of living ratio rose to where it was then, I can't see people paying that kind of money per month on top of a subscription, let alone risking that kind of investment on something they might stop subscribing to. I think I wouldn't ever risk buying any Poser specific content if I had to subscribe to Poser. After all, life happens. eclark is talking about not being able to pay for internet at all. And that's not uncommon here in the states. Last I saw any numbers, Poser is mostly used by hobbyist illustrators who are older. It seems to me a Poser subscription would be the first thing to go if people needed to tighten their belts even a little.

I own a lot of content I got on the "better safe than sorry" principle. I own a lot I haven't used yet. Having been around since 2002 or so, I would have spent hundreds, if not thousands, less if I'd been pressured to only buy what I had plans to use immediately, when I could be sure of still renting Poser. Heck, I'm not even sure I would have bought V4 under those circumstances. I had a lot of issues with her, especially compared to V3, and almost none of them were ever fixed by anyone.

It just seems to me that if Poser went subscription, Poser content sales would take a medium to enormous hit. Depending on how much of the market was pushed to switch from buying based on long term potential to buying for immediate use. I can't imagine a scenario where people who couldn't afford to pay for Poser outright decided to subscribe and buy content, so I can't imagine sales rising. Maybe I'm wrong (I'm sure there are numbers somewhere on this), but for something as non-essential as Poser is for most, I'd bet a one time splurge, at Christmas or a birthday if necessary, would be a more common fit.

But that's just my analysis given what I know. Bondware's data far supersedes mine. If they numbers say subscription would work best, I certainly won't argue. Though I would try to make the best decision for myself.

The comments you make certainly apply to me. I have a certain amount I can spend on the hobby each month and while I can boost it certain months if there is a good sale on any subscription costs would be deducted by the amount I have to spend each month. It is already reduced slightly as I buy a subscription for Vue but I do not buy content for that and I have only be paying this for a few months and I am not fully committed to continuing. The subscription would certainly be the first thing to go if I was struggling to pay my bills. If I lost access to the most recent a version of Poser, due to subscription model, I have still old versions that work but I would lose the ability to use Superfly so I cannot see I would spend out on any more Poser 11 content.

Like many I have content I have purchased on the basis that I can see a use for that but has never used to this date but the marketplace and vendor still have my money and rightly so. If there was a subscription required I would certainly be reluctant to buy on that basis thus I would be buying only what I could use at that moment in time.

At the end of the day it is the 'powers that be' that need to decide but I see nothing wrong in highlighting the possible impact so that they can make an informed decision. One wonders if the deactivation feature would have been implemented if SM had discussed it the open rather than sneaking in to an upgrade 'under the dead of night'. We will never know but it is clear some potential purchasers have not upgraded due to the deactivation feature.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 5:45 AM

Rhia474 posted at 5:43AM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374483

Thank you for that. I still see no indication it was decided; watching where this goes with interest. In my opinion the niche in which Poser resides would make a bad candidate to go subscription.

I don't think anything's been decided yet, but that post explains why people are concerned about it. And weighing in, hoping to dissuade them from going the subscription route.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 11:08 AM · edited Thu, 26 December 2019 at 11:09 AM

Kobaltkween makes some great points above that I was too sleepy to articulate yesterday. I hope Bondware has good data available. I often say here the forum audience is not necessarily representative of the user base in total.

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 1:19 PM

Personally I no longer care either way, whether it goes subscription or even lives completely on an internet connection.

I won't be buying it after what happened just now, finding that I cannot reply in that L'Homme thread after Traci herself posed a question to me. I wrote a reply but it was lost when I submitted it due to being blocked from the thread. For what it's worth, my comments in that thread were out of genuine concern for Traci herself. I discovered the other day that she's an old lady, and after seeing the way she was over-reacting to people's posts, I was genuinely concerned that it might be stressing her out behind the scenes when she clearly thinks so many people are against her or what she's doing.

I stepped in with my input hoping to make her realise that it is the product that is receiving the flak, not her, and the reason why. For my effort I got branded an inconsiderate artist basher, product basher and career destroyer, then got banned from responding to her.

Nothing I wrote in that thread was untrue, but the comments made against me certainly were, so I don't know who blocked my post, but whoever it was surely needs a lesson in moderation ethics!

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 1:45 PM

That entire thread seems to be gone. It is the thread starter's or the forum owner's right to delete if they so wish.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 1:52 PM

Interesting. Usually they lock threats that are getting too heated, but don't remove them.

I guess it didn't turn out as they hoped the L'Homme announcement thread would.

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 1:57 PM

So it has, that's odd!

It was definitely there after I had been banned from posting in it, cause I refreshed the page and could see the text input box had disappeared. I don't think a person can delete their own thread though, cause I just checked and cannot see a way to delete this one if I wanted. Maybe she realised she was in the wrong after getting all those comments, and asked for it to be deleted.

Either way, it was not right to ban me from posting my reply, and it seems kinda pointless thing to do anyway since the thread has disappeared after what must be only minutes later.

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:03 PM

Out of curiosity, was that an official Renderosity promotion thread then?

I didn't seem so to me, I was under the impression she was showing a beta product that was due to be released, and that's why people were in there to critic any shortcomings.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:03 PM

I doubt you were banned from the thread. I don't think they can even do that.

They probably locked the thread before they removed it. That meant no one could post to it, but everyone could still see it.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:07 PM

Retrowave posted at 2:04PM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374594

Out of curiosity, was that an official Renderosity promotion thread then?

I didn't seem so to me, I was under the impression she was showing a beta product that was due to be released, and that's why people were in there to critic any shortcomings.

I think it was the official announcement thread, though people didn't realize it and so offered criticism. She later said it was a done deal, and vendors were already making stuff for L'Homme as-is.

I wish they'd posted previews while changes were still possible.

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:14 PM

That makes sense I suppose, so maybe I wasn't banned then, in which case I am still Renderosity's friend 😁

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:18 PM

Retrowave posted at 4:17PM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374593

It was definitely there after I had been banned from posting in it, cause I refreshed the page and could see the text input box had disappeared. I don't think a person can delete their own thread though, cause I just checked and cannot see a way to delete this one if I wanted. Maybe she realised she was in the wrong after getting all those comments, and asked for it to be deleted.

Either way, it was not right to ban me from posting my reply, and it seems kinda pointless thing to do anyway since the thread has disappeared after what must be only minutes later.

From what you're saying, you were not banned from posting - speaking as someone who's moderated forums before, it sounds like someone locked the thread and then moved it to a forum section without open access. Likely an archive only accessible by the staff.

I can no longer see the thread either.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:19 PM

And if I remember correctly (might be wrong tho), it wasn't an official announcement thread, more like Traci getting permission to show some preview renders of L'Homme before his official release, and it derailed badly.

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:23 PM

Personally I think making Poser subscription would be a bullet to the head for the software. Thank heavens that's not the case as of today. If they're thinking along those lines, I think they'd better have a re-think. Subs might work well for programs heavily used by professionals, but I don't see them having any hope of success with a software that's aimed at hobbyists. Someday soon, the subscription model is going to force people into a "I'll only sub to those I can afford" basis. Most people can afford a larger chunk of money for a hobbyist program at long intervals because they plan for that, but even a little money every month will add up quickly when everything is a sub.

Personally, I don't rent software and don't ever have any intention of doing so.

Back to lurking :)

Laurie

Nails60 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:29 PM
Online Now!

I agree with everyone who thinks that going subscription only would be a very bad idea, however if it was an alternative for those who preferred it that might be sensible, the only problem being at what stage the bonus content became available.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:33 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 3:28PM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374600

And if I remember correctly (might be wrong tho), it wasn't an official announcement thread, more like Traci getting permission to show some preview renders of L'Homme before his official release, and it derailed badly.

You are exactly correct, AfroditeOhki.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:40 PM

LaurieA posted at 2:37PM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374603

Personally I think making Poser subscription would be a bullet to the head for the software. Thank heavens that's not the case as of today. If they're thinking along those lines, I think they'd better have a re-think. Subs might work well for programs heavily used by professionals, but I don't see them having any hope of success with a software that's aimed at hobbyists. Someday soon, the subscription model is going to force people into a "I'll only sub to those I can afford" basis. Most people can afford a larger chunk of money for a hobbyist program at long intervals because they plan for that, but even a little money every month will add up quickly when everything is a sub.

I really hope they don't go subscription...but is it true that Poser is aimed at hobbyists? Most of us here at Rosity are, but as someone has previously mentioned, we may not be not representative of the average Poser user.

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:47 PM

@Ohki - Thanks for the heads-up, and yup, looks like I wasn't banned from it after all 😇

@Glitterati3D - Hey Traci, so we meet again, only it's in my thread this time, MUAHAHAHA!!!

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:51 PM

Enough of the childishness ... it's getting really old.

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 2:59 PM

Actually, I was just trying to lighten the mood!

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 3:27 PM

Me, the baby of the forum: Children, behave!

- - - - - - 

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 3:45 PM · edited Thu, 26 December 2019 at 3:49 PM

LaurieA posted at 3:27PM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374603

Personally I think making Poser subscription would be a bullet to the head for the software.

Yup, totally agree, I reckon it would be the kiss of death for Poser if they did. One other thing I see as a guaranteed kiss of death is if they were ever to remove Poser's custom 3D-rendered interface controls and replace them with DAZ-style generic interface controls. If they ever did that, Poser would no longer be Poser, it would feel stripped and generic, and those who stuck around purely because the Poser interface is better than the DS interface, would abandon it.

Those interface controls were designed by a guy who knows a thing or two about interfaces, whereas DS is so modular and generic, it feels cluttered and frustrating to use. Not hating on DS here either, it's clearly an amazing piece of software, but it completely sucks compared to the custom-rendered graphical beauty of Poser.

It's just something that has me worried every time a new release of Poser is on the horizon, but thankfully, my concerns have been unwarranted on each new release, and forever may it continue that way!

Retrowave ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2019 at 4:01 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 3:54PM Thu, 26 December 2019 - #4374618

Me, the baby of the forum: Children, behave!

Yes, Mrs Ohki, right away, Mrs Ohki!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.