Sun, Sep 22, 8:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: DAZ to make a "game-changing" announcement

scanmead ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 6:29 AM

Actually, I have been curious about what they've done to Bryce, so I might snag that one.

Honestly speaking, though, I would rather have seen a fire sale on the latest Poser versions. Maybe SM will take a hint from DAZ? erm... maybe not, if they're reading this thread...

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 6:55 AM

About all they've done to Bryce is install a DS bridge and tweak the renderer and interface a bit. And not in a good way, imho.

And I don't know about SM, but I suspect that the Poser team, if they aren't laughing their asses off, are busily working away....occasionally stopping only when someone's computer starts playing a looping mp3 of the chorus of Micheal Jackson's 'Bad' (although admittedly, I'd put 'Born to be Wild' up as Kupa's celestial choreography.... ;P )....

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 7:15 AM

Quote - Honestly speaking, though, I would rather have seen a fire sale on the latest Poser versions. Maybe SM will take a hint from DAZ? erm... maybe not, if they're reading this thread...

They have done it on older versions; I got Poser 6 for something like $3.98 long after Poser 7 came out, and they did give away Poser Debut in December...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

ksanderson ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 9:08 AM

Quote - @ksanderson, the DS3 Wiki was updated by users when I bought it, not staff. It may have been started by staff, but everything I found was user updated.
"Making progress" on documentation some 8 months? after release of the software is a pretty poor show, imo.

Stuff like that should be done before the software is released, not after. Everyone else seems to manage to release docs at the same time just fine, except Daz.
Considering they had a pricetag of over $400 on this (alleged) professional 3D program, and they don't deliver a manual with it (because it doesn't exist), is one of the reasons why I will never consider DS in any shape or form professional software. (PS - a wiki is useless. Most companies block sites like that, even if they use the software.)

@Deecey - yeah, thought it was something like that, but couldn't remember exact numbers. I just remembered it was looooooooooooooong lol.

I've never paid full price and I don't think too many others have or software would be a much bigger part of their business. I bought DS 4 Pro for $131.57 when it came out.
I'm not upset at all, especially with all the money I've saved there over the years!

If anyone didn't do their due diligence and check on stuff before buying it then they could get their money back if they ask for a refund within 30 days. Not many software companies do that AFAIK.

It's sad they didn't have a manual for the new features on release, but it's under new management and they are trying to fix that. I like training videos, so it's never been a big deal to me.

Kevin

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 9:10 AM

I know people think they've been shafted if they paid for the now free software.  It's comparable to someone buying a product at full price only to see it go on sale a week later.

I used to work for a retailer and that was a constant complaint.  The legal position (in the UK) is a company can charge what it wants, when it wants.  The customer takes pot luck in that respect.  OTOH, they don't come knocking on your door for more money if the price goes up at a later date so it kinda balances out.

That's not to say I don't feel sorry for the people who forked over their hard earned for the stuff but sadly, that's the breaks.  Hey, I've had it happen to me from time to time.  It doesn't happen any more, simply because I don't have the money to buy anything in the first place. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 10:41 AM

Seems like DAZ is doing a not-terrible job of handling the fallout.

The mods have not deleted the thread complaining about it, and in fact are keeping the people who are happy about the giveaway from posting in it.  They can post about their joy in other threads, but the complaint thread is for people who feel shafted to vent. (This seems like a good way of handling this kind of thing.  Separating the feuding parties keeps things from getting too heated and personal, but still lets everyone have their say.)

And from the hints dropped, it seems people who actually ask for a refund are getting it, even if they bought it back in September. 

Still, it's not like this hasn't happened before.  You'd think they'd be prepared.  Most of this could have been headed off if they'd given early adopters a bone to begin with.  A voucher?  The M5 bundle for free, a week before anyone else can buy it?  A month or three free PC membership?  Probably would cost them much less than full refunds, never mind the hassle of dealing with the complaints.

scanmead ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 10:54 AM

I think this has happened to most of us, paying full price just to see it appear in a magazine or something. I just figure in the headstart time as justification. Online isn't the only place I throw perfectly good money down the loo.

Still using Bryce 5 and Poser 7, so the reading in here does make me drool a bit. Much like the cool new features in Vray that won't work with my antiquated Cinema. There are just too many toys out there, and not enough time or money. le sigh

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 11:03 AM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 11:05 AM

So if after a month they go back to a pay for version. When DS5 comes out do their users sit around and wait for it to be free like now?

Reminds me of an old sales manager we had. Twice a year for 3 years he ran the same free freight program. Started on the same dates, ended on the same dates everytime. When he left the company and his replacement didn't run the same promotion, the howling got pretty loud. Customers came to expect the same deal over and over and over.

Going to be hard for Daz to escape the same expectations when the next full level release comes out for Studio..."Oh wow thanks for the new features, but when are you going to give them to us for freel like last time?"...or.... "Oh wow thanks for the new features, but I am going to wait until they are free!"

Actions have consiquiences!

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 11:21 AM

Quote - Going to be hard for Daz to escape the same expectations when the next full level release comes out for Studio..."Oh wow thanks for the new features, but when are you going to give them to us for freel like last time?"...or.... "Oh wow thanks for the new features, but I am going to wait until they are free!"

Yes.  I think there are already a lot of customers who are trained to wait for deep discounts.  I know I am.  After being burned several times, I never buy anything there unless it's 50% off more more.  (Unless it's something I really need right away, or I want to support the creator.)

They seem to want to break away from this.  Didn't they say the days of big sales were over, there's never going to be a price better than this, etc.?  So much for the "new pricing strategy." 

I'll be interested to see what happens with March Madness.  Their last "chain" sale was kind of a disaster.  (The kind where you have to buy today's product to get a coupon for tomorrow's.)  With so many items Genesis only, there was really no point for me to participate.  And as it turns out, I didn't have to.  They ended with a catchup sale.  All items, no coupon necessary.

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:02 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quote - ...They ended with a catchup sale... 

And it still didn't cut the mustard!  :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:13 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:15 PM

I just feel like it devalues their products when they just give stuff away like that...lol. Maybe it's just me, but I truly believe the free figures at least where what drove the price of Poser content down. You may say "Well, that was great then!" and if you're a consumer, it was, but if you were a vendor you were royally screwed.

Because of another thread, I was looking at Daz's site from 2003 on the Wayback Machine. For all those that piss and moan about prices, how's this: Mike 1 was $59.95 and that was just the figure. The texture cost extra and that was another $24.95. Those of us who have been around for awhile all paid it. I paid it gladly...for Mike, Vicky, the kids and Stephanie and Aiko...lol. I have no sympathy when ppl complain about prices ;).

Getting back to my point tho, not only does it devalue their software, it makes people think they can wait to have the new software on the chance that Daz will do a repeat. That certainly won't be good for business...lol. If you're gonna make it free, make it free from the start. Don't make it expensive, allow people to purchase it and then a couple months later give it away to every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants to download it.

Laurie

Janl ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:31 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:33 PM

Quote - For all those that piss and moan about prices, how's this: Mike 1 was $59.95 and that was just the figure. The texture cost extra and that was another $24.95. Those of us who have been around for awhile all paid it. I paid it gladly...for Mike, Vicky, the kids and Stephanie and Aiko...lol. I have no sympathy when ppl complain about prices ;)./quote] Yep, I paid full price for all of those characters too. Then they were eventually offered for free and even the new characters that were for sale were never as expensive as those early models. That's life, I guess. :m_thoughtful:

However, there does seem to be some lack of consideration of loyal customers and this keeps rearing its ugly head time and time again. This is only one example and to hype it the way they did was insensitive. :m_confused:

Silke ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:10 PM

Jani, I remember buying the first dragon (remember that beast?) from Zygote (way before Daz even existed) for $79.95. I think the texture (one of them) was with it, but I don't remember for sure.

Silke

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:18 PM

Quote - > Quote - For all those that piss and moan about prices, how's this: Mike 1 was $59.95 and that was just the figure. The texture cost extra and that was another $24.95. Those of us who have been around for awhile all paid it. I paid it gladly...for Mike, Vicky, the kids and Stephanie and Aiko...lol. I have no sympathy when ppl complain about prices ;)./quote] Yep, I paid full price for all of those characters too. Then they were eventually offered for free and even the new characters that were for sale were never as expensive as those early models. That's life, I guess. :m_thoughtful:

However, there does seem to be some lack of consideration of loyal customers and this keeps rearing its ugly head time and time again. This is only one example and to hype it the way they did was insensitive. :m_confused:

DAZ has never had any loyalty to their customers.  You need look no further than the posts in their own forums telling you if you have an issue, just shut up.  Go away and shut up.

One fact sums it up beautifully - folks they ban from their forums can still PURCHASE at DAZ.

They happily take your money, just not your complaints or issues with the way they do business.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:20 PM

and thats when the thread went bad. cue the Daz vs Poser wars.

unsub

Janl ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:24 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:25 PM

Quote - One fact sums it up beautifully - folks they ban from their forums can still PURCHASE at DAZ.

They happily take your money, just not your complaints or issues with the way they do business.

I guess it is up to people what they tolerate and what they don't but personally I do not spend money where I am not respected as a customer, either in real life or on the internet. Businesses only exist due to their customers and if customers continue to give them money then the business continues to operate in the same way it always has as they have no reason to change. I guess a lot of people are fundamentally happy.

Janl ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:29 PM

Quote - Jani, I remember buying the first dragon (remember that beast?) from Zygote (way before Daz even existed) for $79.95. I think the texture (one of them) was with it, but I don't remember for sure.

I seem to remember getting into this during the Zygote/Daz crossover. I remember the dragon though. Those were the days. 😄 We can't really complain about prices these days when remembering what things used to be like. :biggrin:

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:35 PM

With all the moaning about DAZ giving out free software...........

Check this out and then thank whatever you believe in that you only have to worry about something so small.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBAV6m-H37M

There are a hell of a lot of worse things that you could be worrying about!!!

All the best.

LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:36 PM

I'm not going to complain about free anything, and I did download and burn DS4 and Bryce to disk.  I just have no intention of ever loading it, tried Bryce, got two error windows for my efforts, don't know what's wrong and not interested enough to find out. 

Those that had already bought them, well, that's kinda like life.  I bought a small lathe from a certain importer, er, seller, and two weeks later it was discounted almost thirty percent.  That's life.  They discounted the machine and added the cabinet for it at the discounted price, but no way were they going to refund anything.  But they also don't give hints about something "game changing, earth shattering" before they begin a sale.  I just accept it. 

What DAZ was thinking, I have no idea, how a corporate mind works is, I think, beyond comprehension by anyone that uses logic.  For those that use it and couldn't afford it, well, they're probably happy.  For those that feel shafted, that's how it goes sometimes.  For those that won't use it, it makes no difference one way or another.  A non event.

D.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:45 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - One fact sums it up beautifully - folks they ban from their forums can still PURCHASE at DAZ.

I guess it is up to people what they tolerate and what they don't but personally I do not spend money where I am not respected as a customer, either in real life or on the internet. Businesses only exist due to their customers and if customers continue to give them money then the business continues to operate in the same way it always has as they have no reason to change. I guess a lot of people are fundamentally happy.

Exactly.  There's nothing wrong with that business plan as long as customers buy anyway.

Klebnor ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:01 PM

Is it possible that the move to Genesis, whatever its merits, was just too big of a hurdle for many users and content sales were suffering?  If so, reverting to the old business model of giving away the software to pump sales of content is not such a stretch.

It seems odd to me that some members of a site which is the defacto content site for Poser content see nefarious motives behind every move of DAZ, yet don't seem to bemoan the fact that Smith Micro offers only Content Paradise (boy, what a misnomer).

SM doesn't have to moderate the behavior on their forums - because they simply closed them down.  You can berate DAZ for the way they handle their forums and members, but at least they continue to provide a forum for feedback and interaction.  I can only assume that SM trolls here to see how their latest product and strategy is panning out with the customers.

Love 'em or hate 'em, at least DAZ is still in there swinging.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Janl ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:15 PM

Quote - Is it possible that the move to Genesis, whatever its merits, was just too big of a hurdle for many users and content sales were suffering?  If so, reverting to the old business model of giving away the software to pump sales of content is not such a stretch.

It seems odd to me that some members of a site which is the defacto content site for Poser content see nefarious motives behind every move of DAZ, yet don't seem to bemoan the fact that Smith Micro offers only Content Paradise (boy, what a misnomer).

SM doesn't have to moderate the behavior on their forums - because they simply closed them down.  You can berate DAZ for the way they handle their forums and members, but at least they continue to provide a forum for feedback and interaction.  I can only assume that SM trolls here to see how their latest product and strategy is panning out with the customers.

Love 'em or hate 'em, at least DAZ is still in there swinging.

Smith Micro's primary focus is on software and personally I am pleased about that decision.

If you are looking for the official Poser 9 / Poser Pro 2012 forum it is over at RDNA and several of the Poser development team hang out there. 😄

However, please do not make this into another Daz vs Poser thread. Thanks.

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:20 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

file_478218.jpg

> Quote - However, please do not make this into another Daz vs Poser thread. Thanks.

You mean I can't key up the original theme to the Rocky movies about now...👎

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Klebnor ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quote - However, please do not make this into another Daz vs Poser thread. Thanks.

I'll leave that to you.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Janl ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:26 PM

Quote - > Quote - However, please do not make this into another Daz vs Poser thread. Thanks.

I'll leave that to you.

You are going to be very disappointed then because I have absolutely no interest in app wars. :lol:

ksanderson ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:41 PM

randym77 wrote

Quote - They seem to want to break away from this.  Didn't they say the days of big sales were over, there's never going to be a price better than this, etc.?  So much for the "new pricing strategy." 

New management.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:46 PM

I know that it's been said before, but I can't help thinking it...

Welcome to the new boss. Same as the old boss....

;)

I don't care what Daz does, but my gawd, stop being so flipping schizophrenic and make a plan and stick to it for crying out loud. Anyway, no matter what I think or what anyone else thinks, there are some ppl who can now have 3D as a hobby that couldn't afford it before. Nothing wrong with that ;).

Laurie

ksanderson ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:52 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:00 PM

PrecisionXXX wrote

Quote - What DAZ was thinking, I have no idea, how a corporate mind works is, I think, beyond comprehension by anyone that uses logic.  For those that use it and couldn't afford it, well, they're probably happy.  For those that feel shafted, that's how it goes sometimes.  For those that won't use it, it makes no difference one way or another.  A non event.

I don't know what they were thinking, but we know from forum traffic that Bryce 7 Pro and Hexagon are not big movers. Seeing how DS 4 Pro hasn't been on sale, I would guess that sales were extremely slow the last month or so. All 3 are perfect loss leaders. A great way to generate content sales, their main business. From the way their site was loading so slow or not loading at all, you can assume they were getting slammed with traffic. I bet they sold a bunch of content and will sell even more to the new or returning users in the next month. DAZ doesn't like unhappy customers but they are probably used to it by now. Seems like someone always is unhappy, even when they giveaway other free stuff. Goes to prove you can't please everyone.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:05 PM

Quote - Is it possible that the move to Genesis, whatever its merits, was just too big of a hurdle for many users and content sales were suffering?

I think that is possible.  Like I said, their last "chain" sale was a mess.  You're supposed to buy one of day one's sale items to get a huge discount for day two's items.  Etc.  In the past, I would buy items I didn't particularly want, because they were really cheap and the coupon for the next day's item was usually worth it.  Not this time.  There were long strings of Genesis only items, which I couldn't use no matter how cheap they were. 

And I guess I wasn't the only one.  They started issuing catch up coupons, so you could still get the cheap prices even if you didn't buy the Genesis stuff.  Then they put all the items on sale for the cheap prices, no coupon needed.  But I was fed up by then, and asked for refunds on the two products I bought.  (I didn't really want them; I bought them just to get the coupons for the next day, which I ended up not using.)

I've asked for refunds before, and usually I get them by the next day. Maybe two days at most.  Not this time.  It took almost three weeks to get a reply.  And they asked me if I'd be willing to keep the items if they gave me a discount.  They've never done that before.

Give 'em credit, though.  They really do seem to be making an effort to be nice to their customers.  If that's due to the new boss, I approve.

ksanderson ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:07 PM

Quote -  there are some ppl who can now have 3D as a hobby that couldn't afford it before. Nothing wrong with that ;).

Laurie

True that... ;)

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:09 PM

Quote - I know that it's been said before, but I can't help thinking it...

Welcome to the new boss. Same as the old boss....

;)

I don't care what Daz does, but my gawd, stop being so flipping schizophrenic and make a plan and stick to it for crying out loud. Anyway, no matter what I think or what anyone else thinks, there are some ppl who can now have 3D as a hobby that couldn't afford it before. Nothing wrong with that ;).

Laurie

Had it not been for Daz being free some years ago I doubt if I would be spending my time creating 3D renders right now.  At some point I found Poser and have stayed with it through Poser 6, 7, 8, 2010 and now 2012.    No doubt the Daz free programs will bring more to the hobby over this month and some will not use it more than to dabble but some will become hooked.  Some may even use Daz4 and Genesis and also buy more content, not only at Daz but elsewhere.  Some might, like me, move to Poser in the future and maybe even go further and make a living from 3D in some form.  I do feel sorry for those that paid for the program over 30 days ago but other than that everything else I have said appears to be fairly positive for the 3D community.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:35 PM

And I paid the $79.99! Was that the Mil Dragon- or it's ancestor? I vaguely remember a dragon-before the Mil Dragon.

Quote - > Quote - Jani, I remember buying the first dragon (remember that beast?) from Zygote (way before Daz even existed) for $79.95. I think the texture (one of them) was with it, but I don't remember for sure.

I seem to remember getting into this during the Zygote/Daz crossover. I remember the dragon though. Those were the days. 😄 We can't really complain about prices these days when remembering what things used to be like. :biggrin:

Eric Walters ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:36 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:38 PM

Hey-has anyone taken their marbles and quit yet? EDIT: Oh.

Good to see the Kitten pictures again!

Eric Walters ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:48 PM

"I think all right minded people are tired of being sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up! I meet a lot of people and I'm convinced that most wrong thinking people are right! "

Monty Python- a bit paraphrased-but I think they had the gist of the situation .:-)

The main thing is to focus on what is important! Uhm- can anyone tell me the answer?

bantha ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:50 PM

Please no DAZ vs Poser thread again. No Genesis thread either. We had those, I will close this thread if nessesary. 

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

imax24 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 5:08 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 5:12 PM

This post is somewhat in defense of this promotion, so please don't take it as part of some Daz vs. Poser mudfight.

Most of us here are skeptical about (or even critical of) this giveaway, but I'm sure the new Daz management has some dividends in mind:

Giving away 3D software means more 3D hobbyists. This is good for Daz.

These new hobbyists are learning about 3D on Daz products. This is good for Daz.

These new hobbyists will need 3D content. Being Daz software customers, they will be exposed to Daz-supplied content first. This is the big one, and boy is it good for Daz (they are thinking).

These new hobbyists will want to upgrade their free Daz products eventually. Since they took the trouble to learn the free Daz software, they will most likely buy their upgrades from Daz. 

There is some value in being able to say (to vendors, site advertisers, investors, whatever) that "X thousand copies of DS4 Pro were downloaded in February." They don't have to say "and the revenue from that was zero."

Now against those dividends, they have some percentage of their existing customer base being angry or worried because A) they bought this stuff 31+ days ago, B) because they feel it diminshes their platform of choice, C) because it's a sign of desperation, or D) all of the above.

I have no doubt that the new leaders weighed all sides and decided the potential dividends from new hobbyists will outweigh the potential fallout from the old ones (who, after all, aren't buying that much any more anyway). I may not agree with their conclusions, but their motivations from a business point of view have to be considered valid.

moogal ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 5:53 PM

Quote - DAZ has never had any loyalty to their customers.  You need look no further than the posts in their own forums telling you if you have an issue, just shut up.  Go away and shut up.

One fact sums it up beautifully - folks they ban from their forums can still PURCHASE at DAZ.

I just got a free upgrade and one brand new program, I can't complain.  You can still email your complaints to them, I am sure they will listen.  They pay for the bandwidth and maintenance of their forums so if they feel like removing something, it is really their right.  You have the right to complain, but no one has to provide you a place to do it.  I am saying this as one who criticised their lack of visible commitment to Bryce and Hexagon and wondered aloud if they had thrown them in merely to placate people who had already bought D|S.  (It's obvious that the "sale" is for the purpose of getting D|S/Genesis into more people's hands...  Will they suddenly throw more developers onto Hex after it gets 10,000 new "customers"?)  I went back later and the comment was still there.  The threads that were locked are stil there.  I don't cheerlead DAZ on their forums and have never had a problem over speaking my mind.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 6:59 PM

Quote -
Had it not been for Daz being free some years ago I doubt if I would be spending my time creating 3D renders right now.  At some point I found Poser and have stayed with it through Poser 6, 7, 8, 2010 and now 2012.    No doubt the Daz free programs will bring more to the hobby over this month and some will not use it more than to dabble but some will become hooked.  Some may even use Daz4 and Genesis and also buy more content, not only at Daz but elsewhere.  Some might, like me, move to Poser in the future and maybe even go further and make a living from 3D in some form.  I do feel sorry for those that paid for the program over 30 days ago but other than that everything else I have said appears to be fairly positive for the 3D community.

You know, I hear a lot of people in this forum say "if DS hadn't been free, I wouldn't be using Poser now" Somehow I doubt Daz intented that their software be a stepping stone to Poser But in a lot of cases I know of it seems that way ;).

Laurie

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 7:23 PM

DAZ is offering a $5 voucher.  And they've put a bunch of Bryce stuff on sale for 50% off, and a bunch of bundles for DS.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 7:40 PM

Quote - > Quote - DAZ has never had any loyalty to their customers.  You need look no further than the posts in their own forums telling you if you have an issue, just shut up.  Go away and shut up.

I just got a free upgrade and one brand new program, I can't complain.  You can still email your complaints to them, I am sure they will listen.  They pay for the bandwidth and maintenance of their forums so if they feel like removing something, it is really their right.  You have the right to complain, but no one has to provide you a place to do it.  I am saying this as one who criticised their lack of visible commitment to Bryce and Hexagon and wondered aloud if they had thrown them in merely to placate people who had already bought D|S.  (It's obvious that the "sale" is for the purpose of getting D|S/Genesis into more people's hands...  Will they suddenly throw more developers onto Hex after it gets 10,000 new "customers"?)  I went back later and the comment was still there.  The threads that were locked are stil there.  I don't cheerlead DAZ on their forums and have never had a problem over speaking my mind.

Well, I wasn't talking about general complaining....I was talking about issues with programs.  Frankly, if you ask for help over there, you are either ignored, or treated like you just attacked God Almighty.  It's actually stunning how badly they allow current customers to run off newbies with their attacks.

On top of that, years worth of bug reports just go ignored.  Even if you try to keep the bugs between you and DAZ, you're simply ignored.  When they gave up on DS3A, they just deleted YEARS of bug reports that went ignored.

There just isn't any way to get technical support at DAZ.  And, their lack of documentation leaves their customers in a "you're on your own" mode.

I'm not complaining.....just trying to have a conversation.  I don't want DS4 - been there, done that, think the FischerPrice interface is an insult to my intelligence.  Don't want Bryce or Hexagon either.  No one is complaining.....just trying to share their observations about DAZ's latest and greatest.

I wasn't aware that wasn't allowed.  In fact, I thought it was the original purpose of this thread.  Someone should have put a disclaimer at the top of the thread that DAZ cheerleaders only were allowed.

imax24 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:01 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:03 PM

I can't say I ever tried to get Daz tech support for an app, but I have received telephone and e-mail support for content. They have to provide content support and take responsibility for products, because there's no way for a customer to contact the vendor. Except by posting in a forum, and that is a shot in the dark as far as a specific vendor seeing the post. You're really hoping a member can give you the solution.

BadKittehCo ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quote - Is it possible that the move to Genesis, whatever its merits, was just too big of a hurdle for many users and content sales were suffering?  If so, reverting to the old business model of giving away the software to pump sales of content is not such a stretch.

That's a scenario I'd be putting my money on.
What bugs me is that when people were saying ahead of time that was going to happen ... they were treated like idiots or ignored.

___
Renderosity Store  Personal nick: Conniekat8
Hi, my name is "No, Bad Kitteh, NOO", what's yours? 

KimberlyC ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:05 PM

Quote - I wasn't aware that wasn't allowed.  In fact, I thought it was the original purpose of this thread.  Someone should have put a disclaimer at the top of the thread that DAZ cheerleaders only were allowed.

Don't start, please.

imax24 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:11 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:12 PM

You know, all the talk has been about how this affects Daz. There is also an effect on the rest of the 3D market. Some or even many of those who download the free DS4 will eventually hear about Poser, possibly migrate over when there's a free or really cheap Poser Debut sale, upgrade to Poser 9 or PP2012 when they need the advanced features, at the very least buy 3D content from stores other than Daz as they explore the hobby. Good things could come of it beyond the walls of Daz.

I'm not a cheerleader for anybody, just trying to do the glass-half-full thing. :) 

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:19 PM

Attached Link: Check this.

I just let my fingers do the walking to Purplus, Poser 8 for $39.95, PP 2010, $64.95.  There are cheaper purchases available almost constantly, if people knew where to look.

Nothing wrong with Purplus either, I've used them for years.

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:38 PM

Quote - You know, I hear a lot of people in this forum say "if DS hadn't been free, I wouldn't be using Poser now" Somehow I doubt Daz intented that their software be a stepping stone to Poser But in a lot of cases I know of it seems that way ;).

It was for me. After using DAZ a while I saw the additional features available in Poser 7, and never looked back.  Studio did endear DAZ to me somewhat, so I have bought a lot of Poser content there, so even though I'm using Poser, it's a win for them...

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 9:28 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 9:28 PM

Oh, it's fact that of my vast content collection, most of it has been bought from Daz ;). I like the stuff there, even now. It's just all the stuff I can't use that I don't like...hehe. Other than that though, I have a very large wishlist :P.

Laurie

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 9:37 PM
Site Admin

Looking at that link PrecisionXXX posted, you can still pay for the Daz give aways if you really want. In case you think they shouldn't be giving the stuff away. 😉

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 9:49 PM

Quote - Looking at that link PrecisionXXX posted, you can still pay for the Daz give aways if you really want. In case you think they shouldn't be giving the stuff away. 😉

I don't think too many are going to consider that, at least until the end of the month.

D.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 04 February 2012 at 12:29 AM

Quote - It is a game changer in this corner of the CG universe. Those not decided about which software to use can get DS 4 Pro for free for 29 days. Poser Pro 2012 won't be free. Easy pick for most people in these tight times. And anyone wanting to try the Pro version will now have all the regular Pro features to play with. This will substantially increase their user base and gain them more folks wanting to buy content which is still their main business.

And I would bet that previous purchasers will get the future 4.1 release for free or reduced price (it's the version with the big render speedup). The freebie folks will have to upgrade for the render joy. That's my guess for the future.

I read your statement five (5) times. I'm very thick. I fail to see how that's a "game-changer".

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.