Tue, Oct 1, 5:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: OT sort of: computer slowing down

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:06 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 9:08 AM
Site Admin

I got Poser 8 in December. I noticed it was running kind of slow several seconds to a minute between any kind of change to being able to make the next change. My first thought was P8 needed more resources than I have. According to the requirements on the site I meet all of those and the recommended stuff too.I compared the speed to my laptop and that was much better. (the 2 have similar processor speeds, memory and programs that run in the back ground). I tried running under "Diagnostic startup" (in msconfig) that didn't help. Then I thought to run stuff like ccleaner and ad-aware to see if that helped. It didn't. I ran McAfee. That didn't find anything. I've also notice that psp, firefox, vue and even windows explorer run slow, even if no other programs are running. I'm still leaning towards a virus even though McAfee didn't find one. Wouldn't be the first time. Assuming McAfee is corrupted by a virus, If I pulled the HD out of my laptop and hooked it up using and external drive case could I use that to boot my computer and find the virus, or would that mostly likely get infected too? Or is it more likely I'm looking in the wrong direction? What other things could be causing the problem?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

drewradley ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:14 PM

Are you in OpenGL or SreeD for you preview? Switching from one to the other might help. Of course if you are having problems with other programs, that's probably not it.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:16 PM

Try cureit by Dr web. It finds virus that others don't. I had polip for almost a year and Nortons didn't find it in all that time but Curit did. and it is free.

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

NoelCan ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:27 PM

Have You downloaded the latest Service Release?   SR2.1    from Smith Micro....?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:31 PM
Site Admin

drewradleyI switched to screed and it didn't help. Can't find it on firefox though :m_wink: thanks though

kyhighlander59 thanks, I'll check it out

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:32 PM
Site Admin

Yes I have the sr2.1

drewradley ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:36 PM

when was the last time you ran defrag and other  such things?

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

NoelCan ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:54 PM

I still have the exact same problem on occaision.  I clear all of the caches and do a restart.
I am using a Mac..

kawecki ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:55 PM

Temperature?

Stupidity also evolves!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 10:12 PM

My guess is the stupid Windows Indexing service is running amok again. When the Indexer is running, your computer slows down even though the Indexer only uses a few percent of CPU. The reason is the disk is so busy grabbing stuff for the indexer, it has no time to do what you want it to do.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

NoelCan ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 10:29 PM

Quote - My guess is the stupid Windows Indexing service is running amok again. When the Indexer is running, your computer slows down even though the Indexer only uses a few percent of CPU. The reason is the disk is so busy grabbing stuff for the indexer, it has no time to do what you want it to do.

Maybe that is the windows issue,   but what about Mac doing exactly the ssame?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 10:40 PM

I don't have a guess on the Mac - I'm not familiar with it. I'm suggesting the indexer because it has often been the culprit on Windows when all apps are slow. I'm not familiar with common reasons for Mac slow-downs, but it doesn't matter if that can't possibly be the reason your Mac is slow. Just because that cannot be your system's cause, doesn't change the fact that it is the reason my PC is (or was) slow.  My PC isn't slow anymore - I disabled the indexer. Two different causes in two different systems can create the same symptom.

Two men are complaining that their wives always have a "headache". One guy says he thinks his wife might have a brain tumor. The other guy says, "Nah - my wife ain't got no brains".

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 6:03 AM
Site Admin

I run a defrag often (seems to be a requirement of poser) I've cleaned the caches and temp files. I restart daily, and I give it plenty of time to load.

Don't know if I have indexing service running or not. How do I check that? BTW I'm running XP.

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 6:32 AM

dr webb sent me to an all russian site, feel a bit uncomfortable checking an aggreement I can't read. Do they have an english site?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 6:40 AM

Attached Link: dr.web cureit

> Quote - dr webb sent me to an all russian site, feel a bit uncomfortable checking an aggreement I can't read. Do they have an english site?

Yes they do. Hang on and I'll find it for you.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 6:50 AM

file_448208.png

> Quote - I run a defrag often (seems to be a requirement of poser) I've cleaned the caches and temp files. I restart daily, and I give it plenty of time to load. > > Don't know if I have indexing service running or not. How do I check that? BTW I'm running XP.

Click the Windows Start button, then click "Run..."

In the dialog that asks what to run, type: services.msc

This brings up the Microsoft Management console. (See my screenshot - click for full size)

Find "Indexing Service".

If it's running, stop it using the "Stop" button or right-click and Stop.

Right-click and hit properties. Change Startup to Manual, like mine. Save it.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 6:50 AM

RedPhantom. Your using XP.  it also wouldn't happen to have IE8?
Open your windows Task Manager _Ctrl+Alt+Delete
check to see how many iexplore.exe are running.
It's been reported up to 100 iexplore.exe running at the same time. That will slow any system down.

It use to be a virus .dll that caused it but now I've been reading that IE8 and XP users are having the problem. Rolling back to IE7 solved the problem. But I don't know if P8 needs IE8 or not.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 7:29 AM

Quote - > Quote - dr webb sent me to an all russian site, feel a bit uncomfortable checking an aggreement I can't read. Do they have an english site?

Yes they do. Hang on and I'll find it for you.

they did me the same it is just a little tab at the top for the language.

geoegress ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 10:24 AM

My copy of XP is almost 6 years old. I had that problem too. EVERYTHING was crawling.

I did the normal things, defrag, crap cleaned ect..

What finally fixed it was I ran Glary Utilities and cleaned out the registry and defraged it. Almost tripled the speed :)

Now be warned- cleaning all the dead wood out of the registry can be a dangerious operation. Use with caution.

NoelCan ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 4:29 PM

I had this posted in another thread......

I have suggested in other threads that Poser should have a basic program for $1,000.00
With expansion modules priced from $500.00 to $750.00

With all of this extra cash flow going into R & D....   Poser would soon become the software package that would eclipse anything else out there..

Or alternately,     change the minimum system requirements so people are not expecting Lamborghini performance at Toyota pricing.....!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 8:27 PM
Site Admin

Ok here's a progress report :

Run the anti virus posted above, didn't find anything
Temperature should be fine, I have a fairly new and decent cooling fan
Indexing service was off
I have ie8 but don't generally use it, none were listed in the task manager (80 billion svhosts but I'm told that is typical)
I run Glary once a month (sometimes more) hasn't helped
anyone have any other suggestions? I really don't want to take it to a repair shop. I only have to choices the guy who can never fix the problem or the guy who is expensive and takes forever.

I've included a shot of the task manager. It looks like there's a lot there but even when I shut down what I can it doesn't seem to help.

FightingWolf ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 9:28 PM

There can be quite a few reasons why your computer slows down here is a few.  For the most part trying to pinpoint why a computer is slowing down is a hit an miss. If one method doesn't work then try another.  Here are a few things that will help speed up your computer.

First before you start any programs:  Restart your computer and give it a chance to load up the start-up programs and settle down.  Then check your CPU usage in the Task Manager.  The CPU usage should be running between 1% and 12%  if it is running at 50% and higher then you have some system problems and you'll need to clean things out by going through the steps below.

1. If you have McAfee Internet Security or McAfee Quick Clean (it's included with the Internet Security package)  then you'll need to use it to clean out all of your temp files.  IE is really bad when it stores temp files.  Firefox does the same but it's no where as bad as IE.  If you don't have it then you'll need to find a reliable software that can clean temp files. McAfee Quick clean will not only fix temp files but it will also get rid of lost files and registry problems.

2. Spyware - check to see if you have some background programs or spyware that is sucking up your computer resources.  RedPhantom you should be ok if you are using McAfee.

3. Clean the Registry.  Find a reliable registry cleaner from a reliable source. Registry issues can be a big pain, because you'll usually need to run it twice.  Once to fix the problem and a second time to make sure that everything is fixed.  Sometimes fixing one problem allows the software to detect additional problems.

4. Defrag -  Only defrag after you have cleaned the temp files and the spyware.

In Reference to your screen shot it looks like you have McAfee and Ad-Aware running at the same time.  That's not a good thing because both of these programs constantly scan for changes in the registry as well as for programs that may sneak onto your computer.  Run only McAfee and disable the Ad-Aware.   Only use the Ad-Aware when you are cleaning your computer of spyware.  McAfee already has a spyware component built into it.  You don't need to get rid of Ad-Aware, just only use it when you are cleaning spyware from your computer and then stop it.

Your CPU usage is also very high.  Definitely looks like you have some registry issues going on.  But first take disable the Ad-Aware to see if that helps lower the CPU usage.  If not then you'll need to clean up the registry.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 10:24 PM

Sounds like a reinstall of the system would be easier. LOL

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 10:57 PM

there is a load of stuff running there.. I'm not surprised you're running slow....!

I'd start with Ad-Aware.
see the aawservice.exe running at 50% CPU? www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php take a look there.

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 11:16 PM

file_448270.jpg

I don't know what was active when you took the screen shot, what I see is that the AAWService and Corel Paont Shop is using almost 100% of the CPU. If your antivirus was scannong when you took the screen-shot it's fine, antivirus use CPU when is scanning, but if it was not the case, your antivirus is using half of the CPU doing nothing. The other task, Paint Shop, was you doing something with it at the same time, because it uses the remaing half of CPU time. I also found that your memory usage is too high.

For referrence here is my screen-shot where my only active program was FireFox.

Stupidity also evolves!

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 11:22 PM

Sorry for the mistake, replace above, antivirus by ad-aware.

Stupidity also evolves!

FightingWolf ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 2:42 AM

Quote - Sounds like a reinstall of the system would be easier. LOL

Sometimes it's is.  At 80% I usually tell people to start saving important files if they haven't done so.  If mine hits 80% then I know I'm going to do a big system restore.  ha ha ha..

FightingWolf ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 2:46 AM

kawecki

I wish I had 27 processes running..  I have about 58 processes running on mine after the start-up and maybe 70 once I start working on the computer.  

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 4:14 AM

Less processes active much better, some are necessary and must remain, other are inoffensive and the remaing kill them even not always easy.
You don't need check for updates, quick starts that instead only makes your computer slower and so on.
Today almost every softure thinks that it is the only owner of your computer and so, makes mess with the registry and installs processes that nobody needs and difficult to kill, to kill them you must deal with the start menu, edit the registry or even kill (delete) the offending file, not too much difference to a virus....

Stupidity also evolves!

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 4:42 AM

Quote - Then I thought to run stuff like ccleaner and ad-aware to see if that helped. It didn't. I ran McAfee. That didn't find anything. I've also notice that psp, firefox, vue and even windows explorer run slow, even if no other programs are running. I'm still leaning towards a virus even though McAfee didn't find one. Wouldn't be the first time. Assuming McAfee is corrupted by a virus

Anti-virus programs are useless once a computer has a virus installed.  Anti-virus programs are supposed to stop viruses from running.  Sure, they'll clean infected files.  But the damage is already done and the computer is compromised.

By the time you reverse engineer which virus you have and how to exactly remove just that one before it mutates into various forms, it would have been much quicker to just re-install the operating system (while behind a real firewall with no other computers powered up on the LAN... always).

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 7:53 AM
Site Admin

I've shut down ad-aware and paint shop  pro isn't always running. I was using it to process the screen shot. Looking now the biggest cpu user is system idle process which is jumping around anywhere from 72 to 98. I don't know what this is. Can it be disabled or is it saying that 72 to 98% of my cpu is idle?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 8:36 AM

Mine is always around 97% - 99%. Unless I'm doing something. If you watch your CPU Usage at the bottom. You will see your idle go up and down along with it.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 8:47 AM

Quote - I've shut down ad-aware and paint shop  pro isn't always running. I was using it to process the screen shot. Looking now the biggest cpu user is system idle process which is jumping around anywhere from 72 to 98. I don't know what this is. Can it be disabled or is it saying that 72 to 98% of my cpu is idle?

nope that's a process you cannot shut down and that is acting normally.

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 1:14 PM

More things that can make your computer very slow, check your BIOS setup.
Check your CPU and memory bus speed and see if are at normal value for your CPU model, motherboard and memory. Sometimes all is running at low speeds.
Check your power management, your computer can be hybernating every moment.
Check the hard disk is in 32 bit mode and Ultra DMA enabled.
Next thing to check is how are running your disks, go to control panel - system - hardware -device manager - IDE ATA controller - Promary/secundary channels, click on properties -Advanced sertings and see if is using ULTRA DMA 5 or 6, for CDROM can be lower. If you find the is using PIO mode you are damned and your disk turns very slow.
The only way to correct this mess is uninstall the IDE channel driver and restart your computer.

Stupidity also evolves!

NoelCan ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 4:11 PM

Why isn't anybody just saying, "For some reason, on certain computers Poser8 can be so
SLO..OO...OOO.....OOOO......W  that it is unusable."
This person is experiencing the exact same problems as I was having in September and october of last year.  Fortunately for Me SR2.1 eliminated most of My issues but if I do not clear the caches and restart My Machine DAILY  I will start to run slower and slower..

It is serving no purpose at all to always point the finger somewhere else..  One of the excuses given to Me was,  "It is a problem with Your FLASH player.  You need to upgrade.." or  "It is Your browser causing all of Your problems.."   If Poser is calling on external software to perform some of the functions that Poser once did on it;s own  Perhaps there is the place to look..

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 5:36 PM

noelcan, in the screen shot he posted, you can see a runaway process eating cycles, namely the adware process that has nothing to do with poser. it's a known bug with Adware.

please don't call rants on poser when it's not poser.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 7:16 PM

ok looking at the screen shot, you've got running something you should'nt.

Kill IOCTLSVC.EXE it's a problem.

http://www.glaryutilities.com/processlibrary/process/IoctlSvc.exe.html

NoelCan ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quote - noelcan, in the screen shot he posted, you can see a runaway process eating cycles, namely the adware process that has nothing to do with poser. it's a known bug with Adware.

please don't call rants on poser when it's not poser.

IMHO  I am not ranting..  I am only re iterating some reasonably obvious facts...

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 7:24 PM · edited Wed, 17 February 2010 at 7:25 PM

no, your ranting. we can read English and we are not stupid. stop trying to make out we are ok?

his machine has issues which if you could read Windows programs you'd see. see how that adware service is sucking 50% CPU while poser is NOT LOADED....? I suppose it's doing that anyway huh?

now just go away and let us help them ok?

oh if you wish to lodge a complaint with a mod about this post, please do.

to the OP.
I'm working on a list of stuff you can get rid of that should help your speed issues. gimme a bit here.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 7:43 PM · edited Wed, 17 February 2010 at 7:44 PM

file_448327.jpg

okies here we are.

as you can see, there's issues.
Adware you've dealt with.
Autodesk Licensing, I'd only let that run when needed.
Ioctlsvc.exe - installed by a usb drive. causes issues with resources and ain't needed.
Jusched.exe just updates your javaconsole and it does not need to be running constantly.

McCaffee. there's a major major drain on your resources right there. I'd recommend AVG, Avast!, Microspft Essentials, over that anyday.

Nero backup unless you are using nero for your backups, not needed.
another backupservice, see above.
3Dstudio Max server - unless your running max?
Regmanserv aka Advanced Registry Doctor. does not need to be running at all times.
tCap.exe - everything I found on this says it's trouble and sucks resources.

and finally Memturbo. sorry, but mem opitmisers are snakeoil. you want everything you can have in ram. empty ram is wasted ram. there's a huge row over these programs.... (personally I comedown on the side of they are useless)

NoelCan ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 8:39 PM

Kalbach:   I would NEVER EVER lodge a complaint about You.  You are generally Very Helpful,

Perhaps even an  "Oh no....   Not again"  would not go astray...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 17 February 2010 at 9:30 PM

Noel, the reason nobody is just saying what you asked is because the Poser-as-cause theory does not address what the OP said.

He said:

**"I've also notice that psp, firefox, vue and even windows explorer run slow, even if no other programs are running"

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 18 February 2010 at 8:19 PM
Site Admin

Noelcan thanks for your input but I'd say its not poser. I have problems even after clearing my cache and restarting the comp, even before I run poser again.

Just shutting down ad-aware and memturbo has made a difference. I'll check out turning off some of the other services kiabach suggested to see if I can get better results.

Thank you all for your help.

NoelCan ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 12:22 AM

No problem RedPhantom   It is just that there are several issue with P8,  the slowness being only one,   I just wish this one would just go away.  Just like another user suggested I do..!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 7:16 AM
Site Admin

Noelcan, maybe you should try some of these suggestions too. Even if there is a problem with your poser you still might see a difference.

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 8:33 AM

You may want to get Spybot Search and Destroy and run that... It may be that something got on your system that is blocking AdAware from disabling and AdAware is trying to disable....

My daughter got something like that a few years ago and after adding Spybot S&D to her system and running all the Scans, including AV, we found several issues that once fixed cleared up the original issue. I can not recall what it was exactly, but I do know she got from a Facebook Link (or MySpace Link) from a friend..

To Noelcan... Slowness is not an issue with Poser 8. Some settings and some systems experience slowdowns of Poser, but not of the system. If you are experiencing these issues, contact Support... you can put Attn John in the subject and it should come to me.

ratscloset
aka John

kawecki ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 9:41 AM · edited Fri, 19 February 2010 at 9:41 AM

SpyBot has some problems. I use Antivir as antivirus, it works fine and its shield guard add very little overhead to my computer and blocks any virus temptative to install or appear in the computer.
My wife was a fan of Spybot, so the computer was running Spybot and AntiVir together, one day while visiting some site, of course with IE, the site started to install a virus, at the moment AntiVir guard showed a warning message and blocked the installation, but..., at the same time SpyBot enter into action and block the action of Antivir shield guard and so, the virus was installed in the computer....

Stupidity also evolves!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 12:07 PM
Site Admin

Kaibach, where did you look up the services to find what that are and whether or not they are needed? I have a feeling my folks are gonna want me to work on their laptop next time I am there. They think that because I can build a computer I am this super user that can do anything.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 12:16 PM

google actually for the ones I don't know already
I just put in the name of the exe/service and then check each of the first coupla pages of results. (I never rely on just 1 or 2 reviews of these things)

a long time ago I learnt one of the major slowdowns for a machine is all the crap some programs love to have running just for them. printer drivers that load 'one touch' scanner addons (which you use like once a month), Adobe's PDF reader that leaves a app in ram 'just incase', winamp agent or .....the list goes on and on....

this stuff soon bogs a computer right down.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 2:00 PM

Here's a wild idea...

Do not use your Poser box for anything other than Poser.  That's assuming you have a spare to hand.

I'm fortunate enough to have access to 3 machines.  They're all old and slow but I hardly ever have a problem with Poser.  Ok so it's only P6 but back when people had problems with P6, I usually didn't.

Use another machine entirely for internet access.  If possible, throw all your other graphics apps on a third machine.

And, as suggested above, switch of absolutely everything that's not essential for the computer or Poser. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

NoelCan ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2010 at 3:18 PM

file_448395.jpg

Here is a screenshot of activity during a render immediately after rebooting.. Does not seem to be much going on but there is a significant visible keyboard lag. Even though I am only capable of typing with three fingers of one hand and two on the udder..

I will not turn My machine off until Monday Morning and I will take another Shot before I do..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.