Fri, Sep 20, 7:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Voting on Gallery Uploads

Charmz ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 7:31 AM

My personal opinion, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Some artists post only once or twice per week, some once or twice per month, some really good artists post all together on the weekends when they have time to finish renders they have been piddling with all week long.. to make them wait to post their renders and or space them out one per day... thats not good.

MBaker ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 9:02 AM

There seems to be many people here contradicting themselves.
First saying "it doesn't matter", then immediately after saying "I will post elsewhere if I'm restricted to one a day". To be honest I would be happy for these people to go elswhere as I don't think this wonderful community needs people like that anyway! I think a lot of people have the wrong idea of what this community is about! To me there should be no competition of any kind on this site (Besides the Competition area of course) It should be a place where people can receive comments to help them learn from people qualified to judge (U know what I mean) when they first start out, and for more experienced people to get help refining their work and increasing their skills. Also a place where people can gain recognition too. I find it really funny that people think Renderosity NEEDS them and can't live without them, and that making stupid threats of posting their work elsewhere will sway the decision. LOL. Bye Bye. See you later!
I think this site needs more respect for what it does, and people should be grateful of the opportunity it provides for them. If they want to go elsewhere then go! Back to the "how many posts" issue - Who makes more than 1 image a day of good quality? And even if they do, is it such a big deal to wait until tomorrow to post the next one? The only reason people can be that desperate to post is that they are in a quantity competition. Get rid of these people!
1 a day gets my vote! There are plenty of quality, intelligent, polite and amazingly helpful people here. I have seen too many sites like this slip away into a state of disrepair that are now full of immature idiots calling each other names. Come on guys, Lets keep this site quality. Nobody likes change, but if it needs to be done to keep this site at a friendly professional level then it should be done without question. :o) Peace!

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 9:12 AM

MBaker - well put.

TMGraphics ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 10:03 AM

1 per day (7 week) and a low $ rate for more than that.

FearaJinx ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 1:14 PM

You mentioned so many members. But take note when the last time some of them visited the site? Exactly. Some haven't been back in years or months. What are you going to do with them? I haven't voted yet. I haven't made up my mind. I just thought I through that in. Johannah

mlevans ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 1:27 PM

MBaker, I fear you misunderstand. I did not say I will post elsewhere instead of posting here, but merely that I will post elsewhere. As I suspect quite a few other people also will do. There was no "threat" intended, and I don't believe any was implied. The pity of all this is that at least in theory we all knew and agreed to the rules when we joined the community. Did all these folks who want to change them now for whatever reason not look the site over first? Did they not notice that there are a fairly substantial number of people posting and quite an amazing number of images? Or did it merely not occur to them that when they posted their own work it would be just one amid many? You know, it just makes sense to make yourself aware of how a place works before signing up. If you don't bother to do that beforehand and consider the implications, you shouldn't sign up in the first place. As to who makes more than one image a day of good quality, all modesty aside for the moment, I have done any number of times. So have lots of others in this community to my certain knowledge. And we don't post every single thing we do either, so it's not a quantity competition. Get rid of us? With whom shall we begin? Peace.

creativechaos ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 1:39 PM

MBaker - "Who makes more than 1 image a day of good quality? And even if they do, is it such a big deal to wait until tomorrow to post the next one? The only reason people can be that desperate to post is that they are in a quantity competition." 1st - I can and have made more than one "good quality" image per day. That's what happens when I get bored and have nothing else to do. Maybe they're not as brilliant as some people's work like Blackhearted, Ecstasy, Linwhite, Ferguson, etc, but I'm still proud of my accomplishment and enjoy posting it when I finish with it. For me, having to wait a day or more to post something I create will result in FORGETTING about it. It's not a matter of "I want to get as much out there as possible" it's a matter of "Damn, I'm REALLY proud of this image and have to wait to show it to people." I don't post every day, sometimes there's a few days, weeks or even MONTHS between my posts because of things going on or lack of inspiration, etc. Then there's the time when I'm working on 2-3-5 projects at once and more than one gets done at a time. So for you to say "Who can create more than one quality image a day?" is a fair ammount of bullshit. No, not everyone can or does, but some people can and do. But IF someone is gonna limit my artistic outlet, I really do wanna know why. Speculation about this or that, it's a bandwidth thing, it's too many posts, it's complainers saying their work gets burried...doesn't help us understand WHY this issue has come up. So maybe until we know the REAL reason behind why it came up, we need to quit our bitching at each other and try to find out why. If it's a bandwidth/cost issue, then yea, we need to respect that, but if it's whiners saying "it's too hard to look through the galleries" or "My work gets burried in a few hours from the front page of what's new" They need to grow up, there's a lot of stuff in the really real world that not everyone likes.

My Store              My Gallery

Remember...getting lost is the senic route to the eventual destination. (And a lot prettier than the straight road)

Poppi ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 1:51 PM

mlevans, you said a few posts up: "the storm is coming...and it looks like the status quo is about to be status screwed. If anybody needs me, I'll be in my gallery, deleting images. Peace. " this sure sounded like you were going to take down your gallery and move on. i've been here a few years....and, this place has more than tripled in membership from when i signed up. and, with poser, even vicki being on magazine covers....it is not so much of an "artist" site, anymore...rather a mixed bag of folks who enjoy using poser. i remember when folks here had ONLY posette and the dork....yet made the most of them, often with morphs pulled in anim8or. many of the terms that i signed up under are gone...and, guess what...i don't like all of the changes. the change that i like LEAST is the fact that so many of the talented folks that I LOOKED up to when i joined have moved on down the road....seems THEY didn't like some of the changes either. the poser gallery used to be what i signed on, here, for....now, that is not so. the poser gallery used to truly inspire me to whip out poser and try and do some of the neat stuff i saw, there. now, viewing it, still a habit...has become a chore at times. MBaker....you were right on the money.

MBaker ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 2:15 PM

In response to Serpentis and mlevans. Hi guys. I think you misunderstand. mlevans - The thing about posting elsewhere was not aimed at you. I don't remember saying anything about work being buried or too much work on the site or that I am unhappy with the current state of the site as it was when I joined. My point is totally about stopping the site becoming something other than professional. When I say professional I'm not talking about grades of work but about a professional manner in which people act. Also if you can turn out more than one quality image a day mlevans then good for you, you have my total respect as you have a talent I do not. U also Serpentis. But is it really a big deal to post again tomorrrow? I can see that maybe people need constant feedback and help with WIP's so maybe a seperate WIP's gallery could be kept at the present limit or more, but I see no real need for more than one finished image a day. If you are not in a quantity competition guys then U have nothing to worry about with my comments do U, as they were targeted at people who are! U must agree that if people are doing this then that is not good - As for getting rid of them, well when I think of it how could U ever prove which ones were and which ones weren't? So I guess I said that without thinking, sorry guys. Not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. Serpentis - U mentioned a time when U were working on 2-3-5 projects at once and finished more than one in a day. I wasn't talking about finishing work on the same day but making images start to finish in one day. Again, good for you if U can. I agree with you about the complainers serpentis too. Hope this has straightened things out a little. Peace.

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 3:49 PM

serpentis - "For me, having to wait a day or more to post something I create will result in FORGETTING about it. It's not a matter of "I want to get as much out there as possible" it's a matter of "Damn, I'm REALLY proud of this image and have to wait to show it to people."" I'm all for reasoned arguments but please! You really want us to believe that you create a piece of work and you're so proud of it that you forget about it within 24hrs? lol! Your "proud" and mine don't mean the same thing then! illusions - I can't believe you did that. You actually went through the thread and... shudder... :) "I find it hard to imagine that there are that many people uploading more than 1 image per day" Earlier I had a look at Bryce. 50% of the 18 images on page 1 were groups of 3 that had been uploaded all at once. Not hard to spot. It happens all the time in Bryce. I don't know about the others, but if it doesn't happen, who cares anyway?

mlevans ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 3:53 PM

To MBaker...100% agreement with you on that aspect of things. And the crazy thing is, there is a WIP Gallery, but it would seem that very few people actually make use of it for its intended purpose. The reason, I suspect (and this is just conjecture), is that fewer people browse that gallery, so consequently they get fewer views and less chance of any criticism, constructive or othewise. Just maybe the real problem is not so much the number of posts as it is the failure of individuals to post to the proper gallery. So we're probably not really all that far apart on these issues. I still can't agree on the "no real need for more than one finished image a day"; after all, what is the real need for art at all. Everyone has different needs, surely. Note to Poppi: Nope, no chance, so I hope no one was planning to rent the space out. Quite a few people here have spoken on the sheer numbers of images, about the quality or lack thereof, and at least one person suggested that no one artist have more than 100 posted at a time. Having noted that my gallery was over that number, I deleted some that were even by my meager standards not up to snuff. K?

mickjl ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 4:13 PM

I say 5 gallery uploads a day is reasonable. if it were just 1 I think it'd piss off more people than it's worth to regulate them... Busy people may want to do it all at once. A restriction is - uh - restricting. Is there some kind of problem with abuse??? What's the benefit??? The more images the better - right? I say 5 a day is reasonable. More new images for web site vistors to check out equals more page views blah blah blah... By the way - THUMBNAIL SIZE should NOT be restricted to 15kb. It's nearly impossible to make a decent sized thumb that looks good under 15k. Be kind to your web site members and allow up to 20kb per thumbnail. Your gallery listings will look much better as a result and the extra 5kb will barely have a dent on web server traffic or page load times. Make it fun and easy for people to interact on Renderosity. Don't over regulate.

Poppi ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 4:15 PM

actually, mlevans....when i read that last night, it made me feel a little sad. i actually checked to be sure your gallery was still up, this morning. :*)

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 4:29 PM

THUMBNAIL SIZE should NOT be restricted to 15kb. It's nearly impossible to make a decent sized thumb that looks good under 15k. You can compress ANY 200x200 image into 15K no problem whatsoever, without any perceivable loss of clarity. If you find any thumbs in my gallery that are fuzzy or poor quality compression I'll give you a coconut. If you're having problems you're not compressing properly. The 15K limit is there because not everyone has the luxury of cable, many - like me - are on dial-up and wouldn't appreciate pointless increases in an already torturous load process.

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 4:39 PM

".since you are really only concerned about how the current limit is affecting only you." Well of course I am! Are you unable to realise THIS IS A POLL! Knock knock, anyone home? Everyone votes for what they want! It's not a difficult concept, surely you can understand it? Why should I vote for what someone else wants? Look up "democracy" in a dictionary. It goes like this... I vote. Other people vote. The majority wins. If I'm being "selfish" (yeah, whatever) then I won't get very far, will I, because who will back me up if it's just for me? Get a grip. Your quote of "I don't know about the others, but if it doesn't happen, who cares anyway?" That's right, pretend you don't know what I meant and do your bit of trolling. You've already violated the TOS in your efforts to cause trouble and I'd advise you to back off. It's clear I meant that if nobody loads 3 images then the limit change won't make any difference, therefore "who cares?" but I suppose it was any easy one to twist around. "There is no point in changing the limits if those limits are not causing a problem for the majority!" Then why have the majority so far voted to CHANGE THEM THEN? Or are they all stupid and they're just following what I say like sheep. It shows what you think of your fellow members.

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 4:41 PM

"You pushed and pushed this issue in Community Improvements and in this thread" Oh yes, sure I did. I started how many threads... ooh, one. One whole thread. And that was just asking if anything was being done, not even suggesting anything. Wow, I can see how this would really be called "pushing" the issue.

rockets ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 5:00 PM

"Then why have the majority so far voted to CHANGE THEM THEN? Or are they all stupid and they're just following what I say like sheep. It shows what you think of your fellow members." I think the people that would vote to keep it the way it is haven't voted because they don't know the poll is going on. They are busy rendering and browsing the galleries. I just stumbled upon this thread or I wouldn't have known it either.

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

creativechaos ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 5:01 PM

Tuttle "I'm all for reasoned arguments but please! You really want us to believe that you create a piece of work and you're so proud of it that you forget about it within 24hrs? lol! Your "proud" and mine don't mean the same thing then!" I'm a busy person, I'm a college student, I co-own/run a day care facility, I have a life, friends, boyfriend, family to tend to, I have a million and one other pressing issues besides remembering what site I uploaded what image to and when I can upload another one. When I say I'll FORGET...I mean I'll forget to upload it if I can't upload it right after it's finished. Talk about twisting words around. Seems like you're doing a damned good job of twisting others words around, so get off of your pity-party, woe-is-me in the Bryce Gallery because my work gets burried under people who upload 3 images at a time and someone might actually have to go to page 2 to see my latest attempt to make a mountain images." Yea, my work gets burried, probably faster than yours does tuttle. You don't see me complaining about it. If people want to look at my work, they look at it, if they don't, just because it's hanging around the front page a few hours longer doesnt' mean that more people are gonna look and/or comment on it. If it doesn't interest them, it just doesn't interest them. 1 or 100 uploads a day won't change that fact. As for the whole "throwing things together and hitting render...it takes a hell of a lot more thought than that to make a decent image out of Poser. I've been working with the program for the past 3 years and have been learning how to model, texture, pose, and make my own light settings. I'd have to say the majority of my work quite a large chunk of what I post HAS my original stuff in it and yes, it takes longer than a day to do it, but I'm one that doesn't have one project going at the same time. Right now I have about 15 open projects, all of which will be finished in the next few weeks. But hey, just cos I get more than one done a day I'm not an artist right? I'm not as tallented as the ones that only finish one per week or month right? Oh f***ing well. I'm me, plain and simple and for someone to tell me "You don't have the right to show your work because you already uploaded an image today (which is usually at 3 or 4 am) I can't upload another one till tomorrow" Hell, most of my uploads happen right after I finish the open projects, usually 6-7 hours apart depending on what else I'm doing. NOT 3 in a row in 30 seconds.

Remember...getting lost is the senic route to the eventual destination. (And a lot prettier than the straight road)

creativechaos ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 5:03 PM

Rockets - I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement. I wouldn't have known about this thread unless Thomas hadn't told me. I barely frequent the forums any more because of the useless dribble and weekly "Is this art" debates amongst the scattered "Look at my new toy" crap. More people need to know about this.

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 5:04 PM

Illusions - My last words on the matter: The use of a poll means that individuals do not have to consider the effects on others - the other voters will do this for themselves. This is not being "selfish", it is simply the way these things work. Any change made will be the best for the community as the majority will have voted for it. Anyway, I've made my point as clear as I am able. If you want to consider me selfish, that's fine, and if you want to continue to blame me for daring to suggest something in the Suggestions Forum then that's fine too. I won't be getting into a pointless argument and getting this thread locked. I'll just end by saying if you personally want to set an example and do what's best for the community, rather than yourself, then you'd better go with what the majority currently want, which means changing your vote to "7 per week" whatever your personal views on the matter.

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 5:20 PM

Serpentis - I've had arguing with people with some chip on their shoulder in this thread, so instead I'll agree with you. So yes, you're right, I'm depressed because I don't get any views or comments on my miserable "I'm trying to make a mountain" images. I am indeed grasping at any straw that will get my appalling efforts noticed for even 10 seconds longer than are at present, and I don't care who I have to screw to do it. That OK? rockets - you're right to. The only people who frequent this forum are the ones who have spare time, due to them not being busy rendering 3 images in one day. I couldn't agree more. It is clear the poll is biased for this reason. Also, I agree with all the posts that will follow this one, whatever they might say. On the ball, every one of them. Great!

creativechaos ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 5:33 PM

tuttle - Grow up already. Talk about twisting words around to suite a purpose. I've seen your gallery, while not my favorite type of art, you DO get the views and comments. 19, 27, 21 comments per image. Honestly, I think you're one of the ones that just want as many comments as you can on your images the way you're bitching about "The bryce gallery gets 3 images per user uploaded at a time" What? Those 27 comments weren't enough to stroke your ego? How about instead of trying to limit those of us who don't get those kind of comments, try to help us. Hell, I was escatic to break 20 on one of my images (still wondering how the hell that happened...but hey) I don't see how limiting gallery uploads to one per day will make those types of things any better than they aready are. If people don't want to look at an image they're not gonna look at it. No matter if there's 1 or 100 uploads per day. It's not going to increase commentary, views or quality. They'll just be less of stuff for people to look through and less variety.

tuttle ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 5:54 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12375&Form.ShowMessage=1223125

OK, I'm perfectly willing to have a reasonable discussion. First off, check out my thread in Ideas Forum about feedback and comments. You'll see straight away that saying things like "Those 27 comments weren't enough to stroke your ego?" are so far removed from what I really want that it's the complete opposite. Why would I go to the trouble of proposing ways of getting more constructive comments (rather than those of the "great image" variety) if I want my "ego stroked"? At the very least I'd start posting T&A. "How about instead of trying to limit those of us who don't get those kind of comments, try to help us." Help in what way? I'd be glad to help. If you call posting well over 1,500 comments myself "not helping" then maybe I can't help out after all, but if you have ideas then don't keep them secret, let's hear them. "If people don't want to look at an image they're not gonna look at it." Very true, but what about people who WOULD like to look at an image. I miss loads of images because on dial-up I simply don't have time to trawl every one, and it does worry me when someone takes the time to comment on my images and I then miss their image, because it looks like I'm just in it to get feedback from others (yes, like some of the more ignorant might suggest). I never suggested this was a miracle cure for all the woes of the gallery, but it would surely help. You only have to look at the rate views appear on an image to see what effect page position has. I can get maybe 100 views in 3 hours on page 1, but on page 5 I'll get maybe 5 or 6 in a day. If the galleries move even 20% slower as a result, more people will see more works, they'll comment more on individual pieces, yours included, and also (wash my mouth out for saying it) I do think it will focus people's mind on what they're posting, so they'll post their best works.

Kendra ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 6:59 PM

I don't understand the complaint. Is anyone honestly uploading even 3 images per day? If not, is it just being told what to do that you don't like? The only time I ever uploaded 3 in one day was when I finally got up the guts to put what I'd been working on in my gallery for the first time. I could have handled a 7 per week limitation.

1 a day or up to 7 a week seems more than reasonable. The only problem I could see is if it was definitely limited to 1 per day (eliminating the "or 7 in a week") and someone might have a gallery image as well as a product showcase image to upload in one day.

...... Kendra

kukri ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 7:08 PM

Perhaps 7 a week isn't unreasonable. But the reasoning behind the question puzzles me. I doubt if I've ever posted seven images in a week, but why the vehement insistance? "My image gets buried in the gallery so noone sees it?" Piffle.

NOTE: JAPERY - ENGAGE SENSE OF HUMOR HERE My highly unscientific survey (watching the hits on galleries) indicates to me that the best way to get eyeballs around here is to make the mammaries bigger than the head, add minimalist chainmail and soft focus, and voila! 1000 hits! :-) END JAPERY

Seriously, though, aside from the Victoria's-Secret-by-way-of-Frazetta images, the most eyeballs go to those who have a lot of relationships in the community. People like to see their friends' work. That's not a bad thing, in itself.

Now, sooner or later, the avalanche of artistry (note the Ezra Pound like alliteration) is going to bury the lovely meadow of Renderosity in which we all so adore lolling away the sunny hours. We will all eventually face the "Disaster of the Commons" - when everyone has unrestricted access to a resource eventually it is useless to everyone. So some sort of reasonable limit doesn't strike me as unfair.

lrf ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 7:45 PM

I've been a member of this community for 18 months and just began uploading images in April of this year, and quite honestly I will test and review my work over many hours and days before I feel some sense of satisfaction that it is proper to share my work with the world. I have a super fast computer for rendering and it still takes alot of time to weed through final results, so uploading multiple images per day, several times a week doesn't seem very discriminating. Besides the rational thinking behind multiple uploads per day from an artistic POV, I think members must realize, that with the popularity of the Renderosity gallery, that we all benefit from the free gallery system, and before long, at the rate images are uploaded and with members too consumed with artisitic narcism we may face fees for uploading our wonderful works. And just as a fan of the gallery and other member's work, it diminishes the viewing experience when you have to scroll through hundreds of images just to see what is new for the day.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 8:37 PM

"when everyone has unrestricted access to a resource eventually it is useless to everyone" Actually, it's more a problem of too much resource for many to access as fully as perhaps they'd like to. I've seen posts by people saying that they were starting up a site and asking for images. Apparently however, everyone wants to be at the Big R. Better buried at Rendererosity than noticed somewhere else I suppose. AT any rate, an organism can only grow so big before it ceases to function effectively. Maybe Renderosity has reached that point and it's time for a split, a spinoff an alter ego. Whether it be Poser only, a rfereed site for the masters, a low brow site for the hackers or all Vicky, all nude all the time, whatever.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

ysvry ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 10:09 PM

allow as many uploads as a person wants but build in filters so u can ignore the ones you find crap.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

ShadowWind ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 10:35 PM

Bravo Illusions. We are voting on something that has no statistics to know whether or not limiting the galleries would even provide a solution. I think at this point, I would probably table this poll and discussion until a week full of statistics could be provided to give us a good indication. I'm not saying Illusion that your figures aren't accurate, but a spot check is not necessarily what is really going on. I would think that the poll here is really skewed now by people not knowing the facts which have only been made clearer here as the discussion has gone on. Also I don't think this was posted in the gallery where it would make the most impact. Most people never heard of it, but would sure to be affected by it. I would have to say that I would be seriously disappointed if this was just all about how one artist feels he's getting buried too quickly and not about the honest effort to alleviate the viewers from having to sift through 517 images in a day.

I still think something needs to be done (not because my image gets buried, but as a viewer, there should be a bit easier way to see the images we want), and Illusions gallery filter idea seems to be the best one I've heard. It's not mandatory and it will help viewers who may not be interested in all galleries (or even genres)...It won't stomp on anyone's rights or censor anyone or keep them from posting their works.

Right now, buried or not, the gallery viewing time runs about 18-24 hours. Every image in that time has a pretty equal shot of being seen. Just because you are no longer on page 1 doesn't mean people don't see it. I go back about 20-30 pages often and pick out the thumbnails that I think are interesting or artists I know of their work. If you aren't getting views Tuttle, find thumbnails that work better. If I'm not mistaken you use all full screen thumbnails which don't always do an image justice and can turn many viewers off, figuring they've already seen the pic by the thumbnail only. Generally any full thumbnail I do is almost guaranteed to do worse than the tease ones.

Another 2c and I may be out of change...
ShadowWind

Oh wait, found a couple pennies...Also keep in mind Tuttle that different galleries have different view ratios. In Poser, a good view ratio is generally 200-500, where in Bryce it's only 100-300 on average. In some of the quieter galleries, it's even 50-150. So don't try to compare why you aren't getting as many views as the Poser people, because many viewers only look at the gallery they are most interested in. Just thought I'd throw those coins into the fountain of knowledge here. I'd make a wish, but probably a dragon would come out and devour me whole. :)

calum5 ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 11:03 PM

I voted to keep 3 per day because thats how many I sometimes post!I have stocks of works in final prep mode waiting for the last tweak to go! But saying that I also would prefer the slowing down of image uploads due to your images flying away in minutes through the pages 2,3 etc and byeeee unless you have favs attatched or people with loads of free surf time!!Maybe comprimise with a 2 a day to keep everyone happy? ;) But thats just my opinion!;0) I'll manage whatever happens... Calum5

blessed_isis ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 11:04 PM

i think we should leave it the way it is, it is very convenient for everyone. but thats just my pov

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 11:45 PM

It's great that Rendie means enough to bring out such passion on all sides of this issue, but please keep it to a dull roar - below the TOS radar.

Thanks,

Crescent
Renderosity Mod (who finally got time to render today ....)

lygher_xero ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 11:56 PM

3 a day is fine, leave it be.

Turtle ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 12:20 AM

What is this??? You want to give up the opitions to post 3 a day. This is dumb and stupid. What is the matter with you people? You don't give up anything, in the way of freedom to post, freedom to anything. Next we'll have to have sepreate gallerys for the differant religions, for smokers and non smokers. GROW up and smell thoes roses. Listen people I did not burn my bra for nothing in 1968. Old and Proud. I'm calling for a sit down strike. Bye

Love is Grandchildren.

swissy ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 1:23 AM

I agree with Turtle.....Why now this great Discussions about this?????????
My english are not so good bud i understand enoug to say this is dumb and stupid!!!
This Community works so good, i am now a long Time here and never i have had a Problem with this.
So pleas why dont let all like it is??
For me i have sometimes no Inspirations for a new Image and sometimes i made 3 ore 4 at a Day ^-^!!
If someone not like to look at Images so he dont go to look!
And sit down with Turtle
Bye all your swissy

TT ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 1:41 AM

I like it how is it now, 3 per day. :)

"I like my species the way it is."

Ecstasy ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 2:08 AM

I dont know..... I visited the "Contest Gallery" and there was no images. Maybe what the site should do is create a Curtique and pro gallery with all mediums allowed but subject to a vote of wether they are accepted or not,something like the pending que a merchant has to do for a product. I voted 3 a day though. I dont care who knows what I voted....... I got the idea from epilouge, an artist has to go throiugh a pending before the art is accepted and veiwable to the community. I realy wish whom ever comes up with these ideas would ask the community what it would like to see in the galleries and tos before they shove this stuff down I throats....I'm a reluctant whore of the store because Im told you have to give us this much before we let you sale here and if its not exclusive we take more of the split... Now this:/ What am I suppossed to think? am I working for an insurance company ???

Akia ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 2:11 AM

I agree with Rockets too. If I can only upload one picture a day, forget about it. I do work in spurts. Sometimes I have nothing for a week, and then I get inspired and wind up with four or five. I think a big problem is that some artists put up basically the very same work from just differing camera angles and perhaps lighting. I agree that the artists need to show some discretion on what they put up, and they shouldn't just do it to beg compliments. That should be done in the forums. But there are people who are proud of what they've done and want to show their peers what they've done. Whether or not anyone comments, it's a good feeling to put up something they've worked hard on, and it's even more exciting to have someone (especially someone whom they admire) post a positive or helpful comment on the page. I think restraint on the artist's part should be emphasized more than limiting people who really do have three powerful images to upload. I've been guilty of uploading a work-in-progress, but I don't do that anymore because I know the finished product is always more appealing than the lump of digital clay. Just my two bucks, dolares, dinar, yen, rubles, pesos, pence and any other foreign currency.

Placebo ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 2:34 AM

For me the limit seams plain silly if this isnt a bamdwidth/space issue. I mean we are all different right? I cant see a point with this limit discussion. I like to render and do pictures and some weeks i have more than 7 ideas and other weeks not.

Restrictions kills creativity!

(Maybe we can have a only 7 per week gallery for those who wants to post in that and where their pictures are judged if theyre ready or not)

lygher_xero ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 3:11 AM

i agree placebo....restrictions kills creativity!! LOL slogan of the rebels!! lol

TT ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 3:35 AM

Well spoken Anders, great slogan xero!:)

"I like my species the way it is."

A_ ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 4:06 AM

The way I see it - leave it as it is. Some people feel the need to create every second of the day, and if they succeed in doing this - good for them! Some people post 3 images a day, that's great for them. Some post 1 a month, that's also great. I don't think anyone who feels the need to post 3 a day should be restricted. Apart from this, I think that most people post about 7 pictures a week (or a little more), and I don't think it should become some sort of a "rule" around here. I think everyone should be free to do as they like. In other words - keep it like it is. :)

oliveramberg ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 4:22 AM

In my opinion everybody should be able to download as many images as he likes. I don't think that there are to many out there who are able to publish more than one or two Images a week anyway.

tuttle ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 5:32 AM

ShadowWind - "Also keep in mind Tuttle that different galleries have different view ratios ... So don't try to compare why you aren't getting as many views as the Poser people, because many viewers only look at the gallery they are most interested in." I'm not comparing anything. :) This has been dealt with this earlier (OK it's a big thread, you may have missed it) so just to re-iterate, this is not solely about the number of views / comments that I personally get (although sure, more is better). As some "kind" soul earlier pointed out, I DO get many views and comments - at least as many as the Poser people - so I am not complaining on a personal level that my stuff is never seen. In fact, I'm not complaining at all, except about the non-construcive "discussion" surrounding what should be a simple issue. I voted and we'll see what happens. I'm happy with whatever the final decision will be, as it will be the result of what the majority want. Escstacy - "I realy wish whom ever comes up with these ideas would ask the community what it would like to see in the galleries and tos before they shove this stuff down I throats...." What do you reckon the purpose of this thread / poll is? Have a guess and get back to me. Turtle - I know it's easy to miss posts buried deep in this thread, but to post immediately after Crescent warns people about the TOS, with your opinon that most people on Rendo are "dumb and stupid" seems odd to say the least. I think you're confusing freedom with unregulated chaos. Nobody is suggesting crazy things like seperate galleries for religions or smokers (eh?) but I will be suggesting a separate gallery for grouchy old women with no bras.

Maveris ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 5:41 AM

Hi all, My english is not good but I understand and read all the previous posts... I really don't understand what the poll meaning...so for example if I don't post images for a year the admins give me the bonus for posting 365 images in one day? I agree with you... It's a very dumb question but I think that it's similar to the poll question. I think that a comunication from the admins like: "Ok guys we have bandwidth problem and we accept only 1 post for day" is better. I'm not an artist and I post images for have an input from the members about improving my images... So I think that any limitations really stops the members (like me) that need an opinion form others. Just my 0.02 Euro, Mav :) P.S. Sorry for my poor english

tuttle ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 5:44 AM

OK - a question to those that say they may create no images for several days and then more than one in a day. Akia and others... The poll "change option" is for 7 a week, with a maximum of 3 per day. That means if you, say, create 6 in a day you can upload 3 at once and will have to wait a maximum of 24hrs in order to upload the other 3. This is UNCHANGED from the current method! There is NO DIFFERENCE at all! The difference only comes into play if you create more than 7 a week, but that is not what people are complaining about. So I simply don't understand the argument. How can you complain about a change that will not affect you?

tuttle ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 5:47 AM

There is no problem with bandwidth.

pjaj ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 6:59 AM

I just wanted say when I first started out here at Renderosity, I uploaded images here and there, then I started to post almost everyday (maybe 2 or 3 images a day). I had fewer viewings and really no comments at all (1 or 2, 5 comments was the max back then). Now I may post 2 images in one day and still get the same amount of viewings and comments. I'm not able to view everyone's work all of the time. But I must say, every since they added the option where as you can add your favorite artist to your homepage, when I check my emails and I see all of my favorite artist links to there images, it's much easier for me to go to those image(s)to view and comment if I want. To the beginning artis, if you post to the Poser gallery, view as many images as you can and study them. Use your imagination and come up with something creative. No, you might not become a pro overnight, but as you keep creating, viewing various images and posting, eventually you'll receive comments and more viewings. You'll actually start learning tactics and other ways to add the your creative art. I only can speak for the Poser gallery, because that's where I do all of my posting at. Have a wonderful day everyone:-)

PJAJ

jwdell ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 8:42 AM

First off I have to say that durring my lurking sessions in the forums I have followed and read many of the threads(Mostly in 2-d and Mixed Media forums) that led to this particular discussion. I can't even believe that it's being given serious consideration. It appears to have all been brought about by a few artists who are whining because their images move down the list too quickly and don't recieve the viewings/comments that they feel they deserve. I don't believe there is a bandwidth or server strain related issue, though I don't know that for certain.
To those people I say this. When surfing the galleries, I blast through pages with 18 thumbnails at a pop, on a page of 18 I actually view maybe 3 pics, based on whether or not the thumbnail appeals to me. You can limit posts to one per month if you like, but that's not going to change my or anyone elses surfing habits. I'm still only going to click the thumbs that appeal to me in some form. If there are less images, that only means I'm going to finish earlier then go to Renderotica or 3-D Commune, not stay here looking at other images that I didn't find appealing to start with. (In no way am I trying to flame anyones work,it's a matter of what appeals to me personally. so please don't take offense.)
So you limit it to one per day, does this solve the problem, hell no! The first result is that some of the best artists here, Serpentis, Rockets, Liewald, Blazerwiccan, etc. who are skilled enough to create 3 or 4 images per day take offense and go elsewhere. Many of them already feel stifled by being limited to 3 per day. The whiners are still not going to recieve the viewings they feel they deserve, and by nature will always find something to whine about. My feeling is that limits aren't going to change anyones surfing habits so limiting the number of posts per day, week or whatever can only have a negative impact on this community!

Charmz ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 9:25 AM

I hear a lot of noise in the preceding posts about creating a "pro" section.. just exactly what would define an artist as "pro"? If the galleries were sectioned off as described, how would a beginner gain? There would be less "pros" surfing their gallery so less opportunity for constructive and informative criticism. As for those 'best artists' leaving Rosity because of upload restrictions, not real likely. Will they post elsewhere as well, almost certainly, most already do.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.