Sat, Sep 21, 12:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: OT Leaving Poser...FOREVER!!!!

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 7:21 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:46 PM
Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 7:31 PM

LOL!

There were a lot of people abandoning Poser for Ds/ bryce a few years ago, and many of them are still using poser today.

Same old same old.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 8:04 PM

I got some news for carrara 6 pro users: don't get rid of poser just yet. it works without poser (opens cr2 files, allows posing and shows morph "dials") but it's still alot easier to do various operations in poser IMVHO.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 8:14 PM

I understand a few people are a wee bit upset with carrara 6 pro at the moment. I was thinking about getting it until one of my friends emailed me this message, " DON'T!!!' so I passed...LOL!

My Facebook Page

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 8:25 PM

LOL! Wolf, here  I was, about to tell ya not to let the door hit ya on the way out! Thanks for the giggle! I understand all of the frustration people are having but you'd think by now they'd all be used to releases like this. I haven't seen a single release ever come out perfect yet!

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 8:40 PM · edited Sun, 02 September 2007 at 8:40 PM

file_386894.jpg

I hear they are taking pre-orders for the latest "poser killer"

get them credit cards ready

My website

YouTube Channel

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 8:40 PM

I've been testing C6P all weekend. It's 60% hype, and the rest is mostly wishful thinking.

Wait for 6.1. Shouldn't be more than a few years....

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 8:51 PM

Quote - I've been testing C6P all weekend. It's 60% hype, and the rest is mostly wishful thinking.

In what ways? Seriously - I haven't gone near it (I still have v. 1.1 here), but was thinking ab't getting C6 (not the "Pro" version, because I can always stump for the upgrade later if it's all that). All I see is offhand opinion... anyone got specifics? Thx in advance, /P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 9:10 PM

Attached Link: http://www.newportnet.com/

> Quote - LOL! > > There were a lot of people abandoning Poser for Ds/ bryce a few years ago, and many of them are still using poser today. > > Same old same old.

shrug Perhaps, perhaps not. I still have P6 installed on the HDD from a long while back, but can only recall using it for one project @ Faeriewylde in the past 18-24 months or so. Looking at it nowadays, I've found no real desire to plonk down for P7. That said, notice that forum folk only account for less than (at most) ~1% of those who use Poser (don't believe me? peek at the list of member sessions on Rendo sometime - the vast majority inevitably belong to "Visitor" - and that's not counting the sheer number of folks who never even bother with Rendo, or CP, or...? ). N.B. Sorry if I'd been missed for the past week - honeymoons (esp. those located at the above link) tend to make a guy forgeful of such things as computers. ;) Anyrate - point is, while a forum (Poserforum to be specific) saved Poser from oblivion, it certainly isn't the end-all be-all of Poser's userbase (or D|S' userbase, or Bryce's userbase, or Carrara's userbase, or ...? ) /P

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 9:21 PM

peng, we gonna hafta finish beta-testing it before we can say much. so far, one big problem (with regard to poser files) is importing pz3 files. between the alpha testers and the code monkeys, they obviously did alotta work, but they missed quite a bit as well. I'll say one thing - the morph sliders in carrara are easier to use than the poser dials IMVHO.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 10:11 PM

I have C6 Pro.  It's pretty nice.  There are some glitchy things about it but I like it just fine.  I'm not a Poser user, I'm a Studio user and as I get more and more used to things in Carrara, since it's rendering engine is just like on drugs it's so fast, I may be able to switch eventually.  I don't like that you can't select more than one texture surface or body part at a time so that reminds me a bit too much of why I don't care for the Poser interface all the much but I'm sure there is something I'm overlooking. 

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 11:03 PM

RamWolf, what happened? You said you were going to wait. LOL.

I think they got what they wanted. Something released before it was ready so they can complain that Daz should have waited and fixed some of the obvious bugs. Par for the coarse, ain't it.

It was not only Poser.  They keep saying Vue too. There are some on the forum that insisted that C6 was Gods/Daz gift to CG and there was no need for Poser or Vue anymore and some beleived all thier hype, even if it was all guess work. Funny how some were telling poser users that are having problems with the two apps as was promised, to quite using poser.

It's just another tool to help get the results you want and your the fool to believe it's the end all be all app. But the dynamic hair looks nice the way it can be interacted with motion.

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:14 AM

Hey, just to chime in here. I think most of the people that say with C6Pro you don;t need Poser anymore haven;t really tried the program. I LIKE Carrara, have done all of my major modeling in it since version 3.0, but it won;t replace Poser on it own!  However it's a great partner program with poser, and the new features have bumped that inter-usability up (IMHO) more than a little.

Like most major 3D packages, Carrara has it's own internal rigging system and morphing system. Now it has it's own dynamic hair. I hope to see dynamic cloth in the near future (someone will make a plug-in then in the next version it will come standard). As with other software these functions ARE NOT the same as Posers functions, however DAZ has gotten them to be fairly interchangable, much more than you find with software like Lightwave, or Studio Max, can;t speak for C4D as that seems to have a fairly reasonable ADD ON plug in to use Poser stuff.

If your an artist, you may or maynot find Carrara to be of use for you. You can directly import about 75-80% of Poser content directly into Carrara and operate it as you would in Poser (maybe not as easily, but then again Carrara ISN'T Poser). Carrara has a very hefty render engine, that is fast and produces some VERY good renders, but again it's not Poser so you';ll need to learn some of it's specific functions inorder to get the best out of it.

For content creators well, you can't rig poser figures directly in Carrara, but you can bring in a figure, model cloting for that figure, pose the figure and check the fits, and even "dial" in morphs for th figure and adjust the clothing to fit the morphed figure, all of this makes it a really nice package to create content in. I can;t think of any other package out there that lets you do all of thie to POSER content.

So the bottom line is if you're looking for a Poser REPLACEMENT that will use Poser content, than Carrara isn;t it, I doubt you'll find a 100% replacement. BUT if you're looking for a tool to work WITH Poser content then I can highly recommend Carrara 6. And who know, you may find that the system in Carrara itself can be used to make some really nice 100% Carrara content renders..

mike

Paloth ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:33 AM

How does Carrara 6 handle large scenes, I wonder..? I don't need the 'Ray Dream Supreme' modeler. I'm up to my eyebrows in modelers. (By the way, Modo 203 is about the best I've seen for intuitive tools that are easy to use.) The quick renderer sounds great; landscape creation would be useful--as long as it doesn't look like something from Bryce.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 1:30 AM

Quote - RamWolf, what happened? You said you were going to wait. LOL.

I think they got what they wanted. Something released before it was ready so they can complain that Daz should have waited and fixed some of the obvious bugs. Par for the coarse, ain't it.

It was not only Poser.  They keep saying Vue too. There are some on the forum that insisted that C6 was Gods/Daz gift to CG and there was no need for Poser or Vue anymore and some beleived all thier hype, even if it was all guess work. Funny how some were telling poser users that are having problems with the two apps as was promised, to quite using poser.

It's just another tool to help get the results you want and your the fool to believe it's the end all be all app. But the dynamic hair looks nice the way it can be interacted with motion.

YA, I gave in... sorta.... I really was waiting for the comparison chart to see what I needed to see to decide.  I figured that DAZ would come through with an update pretty quick for the stuff that was not working as expected for everyone so why pass up a great opportunity to get a med high end app that has all this extra stuff that WILL come in handy eventually.  So here I am!!! 

I think the only thing I'm really disapointed in so far is that the ADS dials for Apollo don't show up and so no scaling or anything like that for him.  Too bad really but it's DAZ so..... it's fine!!  Wouldn't expect them to all of a sudden bend over backwards to add support for a figure they wanted to buy at one point off of Anton. 

Ho hum........

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 1:51 AM

Hey Ram, have you tried saving an ADS Posed Apollo figure to the runtime as a CR2 and loading the figure via C6's content tab? Just wondering if it loads them that way.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 2:11 AM

I'm into Lightwave, AutoCAD, and now starting with Modo.  I've 'applied for' C6Pro, too.....

I have no plans to leave Poser.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 3:20 AM

Daz was a bit slow on the uptake with the comparison chart.

I'm waiting till the last couple of day of the sale before I upgrade. I liked my C5pro, had it from the start. But, I love my Vue6.5I. Find Poser the easiest to set my scenes up in first. Each have thier strong points.

I can't stand modeling in Carrara. I liked hex but 2.2 was a bust for me. That's why I went for the Modo deal, I have not regretted a single minute, Can't wait to get my hand on 301. Looks to be quite a few of us went the Modo way. LOL

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 6:06 AM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 6:09 AM

BTW I am not knocking DAZ or Carrara6 Pro
that "situation" will workout or become old and forgotten.

Im just *"poking fun"*you might say, at those rebellious poser users
who claim they want to "leave poser" but take all or most of poser with them
to their savior app.
sort of like the teenager who hates living under his parents "restrictions"
but when he "moves out" he is horrified to learn that he will not only have to cook his own pancakes but will have to stir his own batter as well.

Ive observed this phenomenon for years and frankly have concluded
that anyone who truly wants to leave poser for another 3D Character app has done so.
the problem arises when on attaches ones heart to certain Functions features and attributes
of certain specific "character figures"

Such as The Ubiquitous "V"Chick
There is a person (whom's name I wont mention)
who has spent the last three  years or so franticly seeking advice on
which high end application he should jump to to rid himself of the
oh so slow "firefly" renderer in poser.
but despite all the well documented testimony of users of those high end apps
despite the fact that these apps are largely responsible for some of the more extraordinary
CG seen in hollywood movies etc.

for this individual it always gets reduced to ***"can it (MAYA.Max ,XSI,LW et al )
bring over my beloved "V" chick with her dynamic
hair, morph dials and firefly/python based skin shaders for rendering her Nakkid closeups".

Then there are the dial turners who become shocked and mortified at the sight of any
character app that does not have "Dials" identical to poser .

"will my poser canned light sets transfer over
 to (fill in the blank app_________ )"

This "concern" amazes me the most.
the primary reason IMHO that poser renderer is so weak/slow
is that its still tied to a very primitive lighting system.
but again instead of learning the superior lighting of the new application
some prefer to force it to use the ones from poser.

***"My certain sexy outfit for Bel Bel ( Yack!!) wont work in this other app due to its magnets
or pose handle etc." or Apollo's proprietary poser based "ADS scalers" wont function in
(fill in the blank app_________ )

Again one who is truly serious about "moving beyond" poser needs to accept that all these
"features" that are so hard wired to poser will NEVER completely export over to another application despite the gratuitous claims of those promoting this fantasy. 

My website

YouTube Channel

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:17 AM

Well you can't blame people for wanting to try to move Poser figures into other apps, because frankly your options are terrible otherwise.  If you're not trying to move Poser assets to your other app (whatever it is), you must immediately master - not just learn, ***master:
***- Modeling

• Rigging
  • Texturing
  • Designing face morph targets

And then you must:

• model a figure
  • rig it
  • texture it
  • design face morph targets

... before you can achieve what a typical Poser/D|S user can do within the first hour of using their app.  That's a few thousand hours of study, practice and work.

My Freebies

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:27 AM

For me, the problem is not "master this" or "keep this functionality." It's that I have thousands of dollars invested in useful objects, and thousands of hours invested in creating my own stuff, and thousands of shortcuts (such as all of Schlabber's free poses and piles of DM poses I purchased) that allow me to do my work -- which is not reinventing wheels -- efficiently. The reason I'm fed up with Poser is that it wastes my time. It doesn't work any more.

I won't give it up until I find a way to continue to do what I use it for, but I will give it up the instant I find that alternative. That's the kind of customer loyalty companies like Microsoft, e-Frontier, and DAZ deserve, by the way. The kind they've given us for years.

M

replicand ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 10:46 AM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 10:47 AM

The way I look at, a hammer can't do a job that a screwdriver is designed for. As much as I dislike Poser's limitations it's still useful from time to time. I needed just a humanoid shadow for a recent project and whiz bang I got the results I was looking for quickly. Would I try to do animation production in Poser? Prolly not. I agree that Poser's lights are primitive, though I'm not sure that's what makes it so slow. Though mileage varies, I get relatively speedy renders out of Firefly.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 11:08 AM

Quote - I hear they are taking pre-orders for the latest "poser killer"

get them credit cards ready

Does it run on Linux? Hehehehe... :biggrin:

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:53 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:54 PM

One of the major reasons why I don't intend to leave Poser:

My highend interest is in inorganic or hard surface modeling.  Not in soft-body character creation.  I am far more interested in arch viz, modeling machinery, and vehicles.  But should I need to populate a scene with a human or two -- then Poser is just the ticket for accomplishing that task quickly & easily.  Without spending copious hours designing my own humans.  Or spending copious amounts of money buying pre-modeled human figures at TS or elsewhere. 

The software itself is expensive enough already.  Pre-made highend content is way too costly: especially for items which might be single-use.  Spend $350 on a figure that I'm only going to use in one scene -- ever?  I don't think so.......................

It's possible that I'll pick up organic modeling more-or-less by osmosis as I get into the higher end stuff.  But organic will probably never be my primary focus.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 1:24 PM

Quote - Well you can't blame people for wanting to try to move Poser figures into other apps, because frankly your options are terrible otherwise.

...don't forget the money. A typical user has invested hundreds, if not thousands of bucks, into their digital Barbie Doll sets - me included. Now me, I have managed to shift my investment into use with D|S and such (mostly by avoiding Poser-only features, such as dynamic stuff). I see the same arguments in the whole Linux vs. Windows arguments... folks have a ton of apps that they have accumulated data and money in, that only work in Windows. Thanks to WINE, Crossover Office, etc etc, most of that has been resolved. Apple has managed to somewhat overcome the same obstacles with Parallels. OTOH, Things get obsolete. Posette ain't the main gig anymore. Neither is V1 or V2. Over time, things will change. (as for transferring lighting? LOL! man... even my ancient copy of Carrara 1.1 has lighting --not counting IBL-- that kicks the sh!t out of Poser's... /P

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 2:29 PM

Even starting from scratch, imo there's no good commercial alternative to the typical Poser figure when working with one of the bigger apps.  The stuff on TurboSquid, even discounting the heavy price premium, is all one-of-a-kind and in most cases is not rigged.  I think the best case is Masha, and even that figure only has 10 face morph targets for expression.  If someone knows of any alternative to building a figure from scratch I'm interested to hear it (although I'm pretty happy now with interPoser Pro + Cinema 4D).

My Freebies

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 2:52 PM

If we could get Poser's basic functionality combined with C6Pro's renderer together in one program -- I'd be pleased with that.  As well as with the built-in ability to 'talk' to highend apps, of course.

Poser Pro? (question mark).

Some might claim that's impossible.  But I discarded that word awhile back.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 3:09 PM

Quote - Even starting from scratch, imo there's no good commercial alternative to the typical Poser figure when working with one of the bigger apps.

Agreed - even most professionals (at least the ones around the CG slave pits I know of) will squitch in a Poser figure here and there for quick but high-end-looking installations. (but then, most have already pre-rigged 'em themselves into 3DS Max, Maya, etc - clothing/morphing a figure in Poser or D|S, then exporting the whole shebang and adding the pre-built skeleton to it). > Quote - Does it run on Linux?

The first competent version to do it will get my money and even help/efforts towards improvements... and I don't particularly care if EF, DAZ, or whomever is the one to do it. You see, I've already got AC3D for modeling on my install of Fedora Core 7, Blender for the really heavy stuff, and a whole wad of programming toys and tools to customize whatever else I need to tack on. My Mac is still running strong. That said, I'm slowly feeling the itch to upgrade and I decided not to shell out $2500+ on a new one (esp. if I can shell out only 1/3 of that on a homebuild box and plonk in Ubuntu or Fedora Core instead). I know there's OSX x86 out there, and folks have easily gotten OSX to run on non-apple hardware, but IMHO that involves more effort and time than I'm willing to push out nowadays - time/work that can be spent on things like artwork. And no... we ain't doing Windows if we can avoid it. The various treadmills there (A/V, DLL Hell, bloat, anti-spyware, etc) are too much of a drain to a guy who is more comfortable at a bash or ksh prompt than in some resource-sucking "Aero" GUI. /P

hdaggers ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 3:12 PM

I am barely a Poser user. I don't like it very much but if it does the job then I will not discard it from my harddrive.... On the otherhand I feel the Poser-verse has outgrown Poser, if there is an alternative, vive la alternative!

This test render is all done in Carrara6 after 1 day figuring out the dynamic hair and "poser-content" functionality. Rumors of its failed launch are greatly exagerated.

wetcircuit.com
credits: Vicki3, GND2, Vali's Fyrhe(?sp), 2035Girl, More for 2035, 3Dream's painted skullcaps, Carrara6, Dosch HDRI (background, not lighting), HowartH poses, free Rogue goggles, etc etc etc

Poser wasn't used at any stage to create this image -- other than the vast legacy of Poser content that makes us so happy. All hail Poser!

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 3:47 PM

good to hear! I'll be sniffing about for a few days, then I'll prolly plonk for it if the reviews I see are good (esp. when visible results are posted :) ). BTW: Are you using Mac or Windows?

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 4:54 PM

Quote -

Like most major 3D packages, Carrara has it's own internal rigging system and morphing system. Now it has it's own dynamic hair. I hope to see dynamic cloth in the near future (someone will make a plug-in then in the next version it will come standard). As with other software these functions ARE NOT the same as Posers functions, however DAZ has gotten them to be fairly interchangable, much more than you find with software like Lightwave, or Studio Max, can;t speak for C4D as that seems to have a fairly reasonable ADD ON plug in to use Poser stuff.

Dynamic cloth was planned to be in version 6 but was delayed.  It will be made available as a set of plug-ins for Carrara and Studio.  There will be a free verson which will allow you to load and use premade cloth objects.  There will be a fairly cheap version of the plug-in which will alow limited modification of existing cloth objects, and finally a higher priced developer plug-in to allow full cloth object creation.  I think coordinating the plug-in development between Carrara and Studio, to keep the content compatible between them, was a factor in the delay, but I may be wrong.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 5:00 PM

"If we could get Poser's basic functionality combined with C6Pro's renderer together in one program -- I'd be pleased with that.  As well as with the built-in ability to 'talk' to highend apps, of course."

That exists already C4D +interposer pro and this  month V-ray

***Poser Pro? (question mark).
Some might claim that's impossible.  But I discarded that word awhile back.

No  sir not "impossible" Just  " undesirable" from a workflow stand point
when one is "hosting" a scene
for rendering only
as will be the case with "Poser Pro" according the EF reps a SIggraph

My website

YouTube Channel

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 5:09 PM

Quote - If we could get Poser's basic functionality combined with C6Pro's renderer together in one program -- I'd be pleased with that.  As well as with the built-in ability to 'talk' to highend apps, of course.

Poser Pro? (question mark).

I think you should give C6 a look.  I've been seeing good C6 renders in the forums over there already.  Some people just aren't having the problems others are making the huge fuss over.  Yes, certain figures do not work yet with C6.  These figures are being reported in hopes that the cause can be found.  Yes, Poser 7 scenes can cause problems.  This has been tracked to  a change in lights between P6 and P7, and some users have managed to get their scenes in after running a delete light script in Poser and resaving.  Other problems have had to do with broken texture references, unusually long, strangely named or nested runtimes, which shouldn't be too shocking given the problems Poser has had itself with these things.

The most encouraging words came from a beta tester who basically said that most of the problems people are having getting Poser content into Carrara will be forgotten once they start actually using Carrara.  People are getting their content in and there are renders to prove this.  The tricks and workarounds will become common practise in time, but it's not surprising that so much is being made of Carrara's shortcomings when so many people are initially using it at the same time and most all of them are trying to attempt the same problematic things.  

I'll be installing it soon, so let's hope I'm not being overly optimistic. 

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 5:40 PM

The only problem with work arounds are that companies don't feel they need to fix something if they can get enough users to except it and defend the initial problem with said work around.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:01 PM

Quote - I think you should give C6 a look.

I am supposed to be getting a link to download C6Pro sometime in the next several days.  It's already paid for -- but some of us are having to wait on it.

I'm certain that just like with most things, the reality of C6Pro will be discovered somewhere in the middle.  C6Pro won't "kill" Poser, but neither will it be the bust that some who are currently having trouble with the app are claiming.  No doubt, in some cases it's a simple matter of user issues being misinterpreted as software bugs -- while others are running into the type of oddball problems that will inevitably crop up whenever a brand new piece of software gets installed onto many, many different PC's with many, many different types of hardware configurations.  It would be impossible for DAZ or for anybody to account for them all -- and that's a legitimate use of the word 'impossible'.  😉

But that won't stop people from being upset when the new software crashes on their PC, while others are sailing on placid, silver waters & creating beautiful pictures.

It's a metaphor for life.

I think that C6Pro will work out to be a fine mid-range program.  I'm thinking that Poser Pro will be, too.

hdaggers ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:17 PM

Quote - BTW: Are you using Mac or Windows?

MacBook Intel 2G dual core.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:48 PM

...and the only thought that went through the bowl of Petunias was 'oh no, not again'"...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:53 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:54 PM

Quote - > Quote - BTW: Are you using Mac or Windows?

MacBook Intel 2G dual core.

The word "Mac" is good enough for me (dual G5 here) - I don't think the Intel v. PPC thing will make that much diff. It's kind of a very nice benefit from owning a Mac... if it works on one, it's liable to work on 99.999% of the rest of 'em. :) -- > Quote - The only problem with work arounds are that companies don't feel they need to fix something if they can get enough users to except it and defend the initial problem with said work around.

Dunno... a lot of resistance that I find in the professional world (at least computers and networking-wise) has to do with defending all that initial investment in the now-inefficient way of doing something. Either the previous solution was overpriced, too unique and proprietary to have any alternatives, or simply was purchased/implemented in ignorance... or the environment has changed enough to make the existing process/solution cumbersome. It's always a bit costly at first to change solutions, mostly spent in time and effort at figuring out the new way of doing it. OTOH, once you're there, and your workflow and prduction is geared towards the newer methods, then the old is seen for what it is. As per Carrara v. Poser, I dunno yet - I'd have to use C6 first to tell for certain. OTOH, I already know the deficiencies within Poser, D|S (by itself) and other apps. If C6 solves a large chunk of those without too much of a learning curve, and while using most of my existing files, then cool - I'll flip right to it without ever looking back (I'm practically there now; I use Vue more often than I use Poser nowadays). /P

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:33 PM

I was refering to work arounds for known bugs. Not for user error. We all know that different apps do the same thing as others, just differently and the user need to learn how to do it the proper way for said app. That is not a work around though, is it.

An example would be Hex 2.2 changing the order of verts and having to use a work around to fix the problem in order to use it. There are quite a few users that like to shout you down and tell you that there is no need to fix it because of the workaround. Companies can use that as an excuse to not fix the bug. Or they will but charge you for it. Hex 3.

I'm not saying that Daz won't fix it, I used it as an example to get the proper meaning of my last post.

I'm real glad I'm waiting for the last day of the sale before I buy. Some of the issues should be addressed as to what is going on by then, plus I may not have to wait days after buying to DL.

Dajadues ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 5:11 AM · edited Tue, 04 September 2007 at 5:12 AM

I dont use anything else for rendering but Poser. No other program makes Poser file extensions except Poser. There's no way to get rid of Poser, those other programs dont rig & save Poser files.

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 8:48 AM

Lets see C6Pro...hmm.
Will not import anything you make in XDresser. You need a work around
Will not import anything if the word runtime is anywhere in you directory path other then the real runtime as in "myruntimes/People/V4/runtime"
Lack of support and or countless problems inporting pz3's created in poser 7
Expectation that Transposer 2 would come with p6, because transposer came with C5.
If you choose a large scene items come in different scales.
Dual monitors was broke in C5 Mac, still broke in C6Pro Mac (no work around)
You can't pose eyes for V3 (not sure about other characters) in C6Pro.
Many newer products-character sets use shaders. They are lost during import and you have to recreate them yourself. Some people bought certain items because they came with shaders and are disappointed that they might have wasted money on that purchase.
yadda, yadda, yadda...

Where Daz screwed up was they didn't test it correctly or didn't have enough beta testers. Plus there major mistake in my mind was they built this thing up in their pre-release publicity with their sneak peaks, uTube videos, etc to the point of mad frenzy....user expectations were higher then a kite. When the kite, fell and hit the ground, those same users are using the same mentality of a mad frenzy....Over expectations created by Daz, is coming back to bite them. In hindsight, they probably would have been better off with a soft launch. Sort things out, then make a bunch of noise.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 8:55 AM

Quote - I was refering to work arounds for known bugs. Not for user error.

The sad part is, in many cases so am I. Take for instance the Firefly rendering engine... most folks are stuck with using it, because (as quoted directly): "I dont use anything else for rendering but Poser. No other program makes Poser file extensions except Poser" ...which on the surface is true. For a simple workflow, most folks aren't going to want to sit there and export to .obj, or use another program's import functions (which can read .cr2 and other Poser-specific files), etc. Exporting/importing is in reality a workaround to avoid the limitations and yes, bugs in Firefly. It is also a workaround to avoid the limitations in Poser itself (atmospherics, terrains, lighting, etc). > Quote - An example would be Hex 2.2 changing the order of verts and having to use a work around to fix the problem in order to use it. There are quite a few users that like to shout you down and tell you that there is no need to fix it because of the workaround. Companies can use that as an excuse to not fix the bug. Or they will but charge you for it. Hex 3.

Exactly. > Quote - I'm real glad I'm waiting for the last day of the sale before I buy. Some of the issues should be addressed as to what is going on by then, plus I may not have to wait days after buying to DL.

I figure I'd hang out and see how it turns out. I learned the hard way about being an early adopter in 3D stuff by way of Poser 5. /P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 9:03 AM · edited Tue, 04 September 2007 at 9:04 AM

Quote - Lets see C6Pro...hmm.
Will not import anything you make in XDresser. You need a work around
Will not import anything if the word runtime is anywhere in you directory path other then the real runtime as in "myruntimes/People/V4/runtime"
Lack of support and or countless problems inporting pz3's created in poser 7
Expectation that Transposer 2 would come with p6, because transposer came with C5.
If you choose a large scene items come in different scales.
Dual monitors was broke in C5 Mac, still broke in C6Pro Mac (no work around)
You can't pose eyes for V3 (not sure about other characters) in C6Pro.
Many newer products-character sets use shaders. They are lost during import and you have to recreate them yourself. Some people bought certain items because they came with shaders and are disappointed that they might have wasted money on that purchase.
yadda, yadda, yadda...

Hrm. All but one of those can be rectified on my part by using D|S to import previous Poser-only files. Then again, the vast majority of stuff that I use is D|S only nowadays. When you say you cannot pose eyes, in which way do you refer - specific dials, .pz2 files, ...? Dunno about the multiple monitors thing - then again, in what way is that broken? You cannot span the main window, or you cannot have the tools on one monitor and the main window in another? Transposer2 should come with C6Pro (but not C6) - same as C5/Pro, no? /P

lam2 ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 2:11 PM

About the eye posing problem.
In my case, I import v4.1 directly from the browser tray, and when I turn facial morph, say "eye width" morph for example, eye sockets would move but eyeballs won't follow the movement. They stay at the default position. Very sick looking.
Of course, there's workaround, but it should be fixed.
After all, v4.1 is DAZ's flagship model and the C6pro their flagship app.
There are many small problems like that in c6pro, but I like this app in general.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 3:28 PM

Hrm. All but one of those can be rectified on my part by using D|S to import previous Poser-only files. Then again, the vast majority of stuff that I use is D|S only nowadays. When you say you cannot pose eyes, in which way do you refer - specific dials, .pz2 files, ...? Dunno about the multiple monitors thing - then again, in what way is that broken? You cannot span the main window, or you cannot have the tools on one monitor and the main window in another? Transposer2 should come with C6Pro (but not C6) - same as C5/Pro, no? /P  

have you gone to the daz store?  it's c6 pro that's out.  i don't even know if c6 standard is available yet.  checking.... if it is, i don't see it.

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 5:30 PM · edited Tue, 04 September 2007 at 5:30 PM

Quote - Hrm. All but one of those can be rectified on my part by using D|S to import previous Poser-only files. Then again, the vast majority of stuff that I use is D|S only nowadays. When you say you cannot pose eyes, in which way do you refer - specific dials, .pz2 files, ...? Dunno about the multiple monitors thing - then again, in what way is that broken? You cannot span the main window, or you cannot have the tools on one monitor and the main window in another? Transposer2 should come with C6Pro (but not C6) - same as C5/Pro, no? /P

Well I use P7 mostly. Don't own anything earlier (P6, P5, etc.) Messed round with D/S for a bit and didn't care for the interface. The eyes issue is replied to by someone else and also mentioned in the Carrara forum here and confirmed by several users in that same forum. The dual monitor support for Mac's I find out after the fact never worked in C5, and it doesn't work in C6P. You put it in multi monitor mode or use several of the suggested methods of change a setting restart, change another setting restart...when in multi monitor mode none of the pallets function and most likey the program locks up. You can either use a pull down menu at the top and kill the multi monitor process or in several attempts I tried that failed, delete the preference file and start over from square 1 because it was locked up at the splash screen. You think if this was an issue in C5 that wasn't fixed or changed for C6, they would have made mention of it under the system requirements...but they didn't do that. One has to assume if this was a repeatedly reported problem in C5, Mac version they would have fixed it in C6...but they didn't do that. Plus they left the options in place that don't work in C6. Sloppy programming. No transposer is not included in any version of C6. There are comments on the Daz fourms about it costing an additional $100.00. Yet when you read the feature set for C6, on the Daz website it states full support for PZ3's, with no disclaimer that this only covers P6 files, not P7 files. Seems kind of odd to me, when you see content sold on the Daz site that is clearly marked only supports D/S or D/S and the following versions of Poser, or just these versions of Poser..why they didn't do the same and state clearly which versions of pz3's where supported and which were not. I seriously doubt anyone can dispute that DAZ didn't know full well in advance that P7 files were not supported and for reasons only known by Daz management chose to keep their mouths shut. The result causing them customer ill will.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 6:08 PM

Quote - An example would be Hex 2.2 changing the order of verts and having to use a work around to fix the problem in order to use it. There are quite a few users that like to shout you down and tell you that there is no need to fix it because of the workaround. Companies can use that as an excuse to not fix the bug. Or they will but charge you for it. Hex 3.

I can tell you one thing, I'm in charge of evaluationg an acquiring production applications we use here at the office... From Autocad to 3D studio to dozens other smaller caliber ap's. 
One thing that I definately don't do is buy upgrades the minute they come out. Usually wait 6 months or longer, or even skip a version if needed, to avoind major calamities of buggy releases that seem to be the latest fashion in yearly software releases.

In last 20 years, I haven't seen that much of an improvement from one release to the next to make it worth risk the bugs that can take your production down.

A bug in a software for an individual hobby user can be a major annoyance. For a company employing 20-30 people working on this software, a bug that takes you out of production for an hour or two a day gets to be extremely expensive. It's not investing in new software that costs a lot, it;s the loss of contracts that weren't happy with your product due to 'buggy new software' that can cost you 100's of times the cost of software.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 6:21 PM

The only good thing about hex2.2 was, i didn't have to pay for it. I had to go back to 2.1, which works. All does not matter anymore as I have replaced it with Modo. I don't have as much faith with Daz products as I used to.

Morgano ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 7:16 PM

I can load Miki 2 from her personal Poser runtime (i.e. not from Poser 7 Central) into C6 and she appears.   She renders nicely, too, I have to say, but I think that she possibly has the same eyeball problem as I have seen mentioned for V3.     I think there are other dead areas, too.   The "fist" morph for the hands seems to work, but "grasp" and "Spread" don't;  nor do any of the finger-specific morphs, as far as I can see.  

I can't claim to be mad about the modelling capabilities in Carrara.   Is it any advance on the P7 Morph Brush?   DAZ seems to be going overboard about modelling software, at present, what with selling ZBrush and Modo, alongside its own Hexagon .   Carrara 6  doesn't remotely threaten any of those (unless I am missing something in a very big way - admittedly, that wouldn't be a first), but Modo clearly has Hexagon in its sights, even if ZBrush remains unique.   Does that mean that DAZ has Luxology in its sights?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 9:29 PM

" but Modo clearly has Hexagon in its sights, even if ZBrush remains unique.   Does that mean that DAZ has Luxology in its sights"

Not even close. Hex is nothing compared to Modo. I can't see a product like Modo dummy down to have Hex in it's sites.  I really doubt that Daz is looking to Luxology. It was a good deal for both companies to make some extra money and for Lux to expand to more users. Would you say Daz has thier eyes on Zbrush because of the same deal or Right Hemisphere or even Lightwave? No. They have enough to worry about with what they have now.

ZBrush and Modo would be closer but as I have only tried a Zbrush demo, I can't give an honest opinion on which is the stronger software. I would say Modo for shear power and addaptive ui with what ever combined tools you want to create. But, I don't like how Zbrush was set up so it did not fit me like modo can. So My opinion would not be the same as someone that likes using ZBrush.

Yes, anything that has some modeling tools would be better than P7 brush. Who knows, Maybe Poser will get some added modeling tools in the future. Not to far fetched whenyou think about it.

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 9:48 PM

Quote - Yes, anything that has some modeling tools would be better than P7 brush. Who knows, Maybe Poser will get some added modeling tools in the future. Not to far fetched whenyou think about it.

One has to assume the CP engineers, marketing and management are watching closely. It will be interesting to see how all these recent developments effect the upcoming poser pro announced about a month or so ago. The next 6 months to a year should be interesting to say the least. Who will be the winners and who will be the losers. IE gain and loose market share.

Gary

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.