Fri, Oct 4, 1:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Why are DAZ High Polycount Meshes so Popular ?

mylemonblue ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 3:46 AM · edited Thu, 19 April 2007 at 3:47 AM

KojiG2 totals--> 69805 polys 72166 verts

KevinG2 totals--> 76116 polys 78899 verts

JamesG2 totals--> 81595 polys 84154 verts

Poser 7 SimonG2 totals --> 81595 polys 84398 verts

Poser 7 SydneyG2 totals--> 97924 polys 100975 verts

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 11:36 AM

Thanks for the count.

Think if I want to keep up.

I need to build a super computer ;)

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 11:54 AM · edited Thu, 19 April 2007 at 11:55 AM

@aeilkema --

When it comes to DAZ, I'd never expect to hear anything positive coming from you.  In just about every thread where DAZ is mentioned, you've got nothing but negative things to say about them.  Constantly, and without letup.  Everywhere and at all times.  I don't know the reasons for this -- but I detect the sound of an axe grinding somewhere in the background.  For whatever cause.

So......I don't exactly regard you as an unbiased source of information on matters related to DAZ -- or as a judge of images produced using their products.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

wertu ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 12:05 PM

I wish there was some way to encorage people who make seriously usefull modifications to the Daz figures we all have to live with, or the e-Frontier figures fo that matter.  Most/all of the changes to the DAZ figures derive from user inovations but the whole climate for Poser has changed such that that kind of inovation is no longer encoraged, not in the market place and certainly not in the freebie world... imagagine Poser without Kozoburo, Traveler, and Jaager! I'm leaving out Hellborn and how many others? Some people are inovating like that today but they are paria... most are banned from RMP. Changes.

patorak ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 1:55 PM

Hi wertu

Regarding innovation.  I wish I could go into detail about the realistic figures I'm making,  but some would consider it spamming since they are going to be for sale.  So all I will say is this,  one of their key features are fully articulated hips i.e the new hip moves the same as any other part.  All done with bones.  Nuff said,  not my intention to spam.  Back to lurker statis for me.

Bye
Patorak

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 3:13 PM · edited Thu, 19 April 2007 at 3:14 PM

*So......I don't exactly regard you as an unbiased source of information on matters related to DAZ -- or as a judge of images produced using their products.
*If you've been to DAZ lately, you may have noticed I'm by far not the only one......

When it comes to DAZ, I'd never expect to hear anything positive coming from you.  In just about every thread where DAZ is mentioned, you've got nothing but negative things to say about them.  Constantly, and without letup.  Everywhere and at all times.  I don't know the reasons for this -- but I detect the sound of an axe grinding somewhere in the background.  For whatever cause.
This discussion isn't about me as a person, it's about poser figures. If you can't appreciate my opinion, fine, but please stop trying to get at me personally, no need for that. You seem to have the bad habit, urge and need to single me out. Constantly, and without letup.  Everywhere and at all times.  I don't know the reasons for this -- but I detect the sound of an axe grinding somewhere in the background.  For whatever cause.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 4:27 PM

I get tired of seeing this argument pop up again and again.  Having a preference for one figure or another is not being anti-DAZ or anyone else.  Virtually all poser figures have some sort of issue.  The G2 figures have poor shoulders, insufficient body morphs, and redundant versions.  Elle has no body morphs.  The chest of the Project Human male is too wide and the ears aren't out far enough.  Don and Judy have really odd faces.  V3 and M3 have spaghetti shoulders and cross talk issues.  Apollo has a gapping hole in his hip if his genitals are turned off.  Eroko has too few materials, which have odd names....

These figures have a lot of good in them as well.  The good usually outweighs the bad.  It just depends upon the creativity of the user involved.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 4:38 PM · edited Thu, 19 April 2007 at 4:41 PM

Quote - Hi wertu

Regarding innovation.  I wish I could go into detail about the realistic figures I'm making,  but some would consider it spamming since they are going to be for sale.  So all I will say is this,  one of their key features are fully articulated hips i.e the new hip moves the same as any other part.  All done with bones.  Nuff said,  not my intention to spam.  Back to lurker statis for me.

Bye
Patorak

Sounds cool. I'm not sure I understand the hip moves thing but I'm always on the look out for better and/or fully anatomicaly complete characters. I'll be looking forward to seeing your work when it's done.
:biggrin:

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 4:40 PM

patorak, please IM if you post information on what you are up to anywhere public.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 5:47 PM · edited Thu, 19 April 2007 at 5:50 PM

Quote - *So......I don't exactly regard you as an unbiased source of information on matters related to DAZ -- or as a judge of images produced using their products.*If you've been to DAZ lately, you may have noticed I'm by far not the only one......

This discussion isn't about me as a person, it's about poser figures. If you can't appreciate my opinion, fine, but please stop trying to get at me personally, no need for that. You seem to have the bad habit, urge and need to single me out. Constantly, and without letup.  Everywhere and at all times.  I don't know the reasons for this -- but I detect the sound of an axe grinding somewhere in the background.  For whatever cause.

I haven't been "at you".  I have, however, disagreed with you strongly in a couple of threads.  And it's been quite a while since that last happened.  So your specious claim of being persecuted doesn't hold any water.

If you are going to spend your forum time in hammering DAZ without letup, then you shouldn't be surprised when others with a different opinion respond to your ceaseless anti-DAZ ranting.

No, this isn't personal -- at least not on my part.  But it is personal on someone's part.  Constant attacks directed against DAZ in the forums must have a reason behind them.  A reason that goes beyond the technical aspects of polycounts.

As for other anti-DAZ types -- there's always a few of them around.  But none with your determination.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 5:48 PM

Quote - I get tired of seeing this argument pop up again and again.  Having a preference for one figure or another is not being anti-DAZ or anyone else.  Virtually all poser figures have some sort of issue.  The G2 figures have poor shoulders, insufficient body morphs, and redundant versions.  Elle has no body morphs.  The chest of the Project Human male is too wide and the ears aren't out far enough.  Don and Judy have really odd faces.  V3 and M3 have spaghetti shoulders and cross talk issues.  Apollo has a gapping hole in his hip if his genitals are turned off.  Eroko has too few materials, which have odd names....

These figures have a lot of good in them as well.  The good usually outweighs the bad.  It just depends upon the creativity of the user involved.

I agree with you.

SnowSultan ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 5:50 PM

"This discussion isn't about me as a person, it's about poser figures. If you can't appreciate my opinion, fine, but please stop trying to get at me personally, no need for that."

He's wasn't trying to attack you personally, he's just describing how many of us on the forums see you - as an anti-DAZ troll who never has ANYTHING good to say about them or their figures. I don't care much for the G2 figures myself, but I don't show up in thread after thread to criticize them and ramble about the flaws of the company that made them.

SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

BastBlack ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 6:26 PM · edited Thu, 19 April 2007 at 6:29 PM

Quote - ...Virtually all poser figures have some sort of issue.  -snip- Apollo has a gapping hole in his hip if his genitals are turned off. 

Some problems are easier to fix than others.
For instance, I solved the Apollo problem. Just download AltHip in the renderosity freebie section.

I would love to have the M3 JP problem fixed.

bB

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 6:43 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_375303.jpg

"I would love to have the M3 JP problem fixed"

No problem with the morphbrush. 🆒

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 7:13 PM

BastBlack, I was referrring to the hip in default Apollo figure.  I have not used your fix yet, but I definitely appreciate the fact that you made your technique available.  Apollo is my favorite figure so having stuff available for him is always great.

Sorry Joe, M3's shoulders still look unnatural to me.  He's a good figure, but I think that a lot more better results were put into the rigging of David over M3.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 1:05 AM

Quote - Hi wertu

Bye
Patorak

Patorak Spam away I started this thread to learn all about Poser.

If you build character meshes for Poser I want to hear every thing you have to say :)

And I have a few questions

What App do you build ya meshes in ?

I went from TrueSpace to Lightwave to C4D.

Have zBrush also, seen where some use zBrush for Poser.

I know how to make morphs in C4D.

Just have Poser 5 will get 7.

I know Poser 7 has some kind of morph system

Not a clue about how they make the morphs for Poser ?

But since Poser 4 even has morphs I am assuming there are deferent ways to do this.

How do you make morphs and get them in Poser ?

What is ya meshes Polycount ?

If ya care to elaborate on why I will be glad to hear it.

Be kool if Poser supported a sub divided system.

If a war starts on this thread they will close the thread and I will not learn any thing so I would appreciate it if you all wared else where, Thanks :)

RorrKonn

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 1:19 AM · edited Fri, 20 April 2007 at 1:24 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_375327.jpg

I thought that I was being innovative when I remapped Posette to take V3 textures.

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 1:53 AM

I haven't been "at you".  I have, however, disagreed with you strongly in a couple of threads.  And it's been quite a while since that last happened.  So your specious claim of being persecuted doesn't hold any water.

Just as much as your your specious claim of me constantly hammering at DAZ doesn't hold any water. Problem here is that some people only see what they want to see.....

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 2:09 AM

Quote - I thought that I was being innovative when I remapped Posette to take V3 textures.

I believe it was innovated, but I would not think many people use Possetta anymore.

Not getting many replays to ya new map ?

animators are probably the only ones that use her.is there a web site that poser animators go to ?

bet they would love ya new map.

and me of cores I am using Possetta to learn Poser with.

I down loaded ya map but don't know enough about poser yet to use it,yet.

but I am learning need a ObjectionMover (Mover101) utility that I never knew existed till ya told me, learning alot from this thread.

it's much easier to learn with small poly count meshes :)

A3 Slows down C4D.and here head wireframe almost looks solid.more then my brain can comprehend.

Is Possetta in P6,7 ?

I am making Possetta a out fit it will be free also but don't think many will down load it,

I am doing this to learn poser but if just a few Posetta fans & animators get a free out fit to use that's kool.

RorrKonn

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 2:50 AM

file_375336.jpg

**dphoadley@ RorrKonn** Look at my picture of the **Eurasian Nude Woman**, and compare her with the renditions of Vickies 3 & 4.  DO you see any reduction in quality because of her low polycount?  I don't.  The more that people use PosetteV3 for their artwork, the that people  will see that she is a viable, economical (both time and money wise), and esthetically pleasing alternative to the DAZ figures.  Because she textures exactly the same as V3, she could even be used in scenes together with V3 to the enhancement of both, i.e. sisters, mother & daughter, mistress & acolyte, etc. In short, the more that people use her, the more accessories there will be for her.  And  there are STILL lots of free items out there for her, if one knows how to scrounge. DPH PS: Here is PosetteV3 with  Frecklepack skin for V3 by Maskedit, the Renaisance Dress by Chimeraware (actually, it's acombination of the P4 Catsuit for the top, and the P4 Formal Dress for the skirt, blended together with texture and displacement, & Transparency maps.  Quarker's Saphirefox hair was used for her head. A standard P5 Judy pose was used her, with some adaptation.

wertu ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 9:15 AM

Mr. Hoadly certainly you are... the only recent freebies of such a dramatic/inovative substance I can think of are yours, Anton's and Pitklad plus Stahlratte also. I am very appreciative... I must add Face_Offs publication of the theory and details of his commercial product for DIYers.

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 9:23 AM

file_375372.jpg

(Decloaking) Hi RorrKonn

When it comes to 3d modelling apps,  I recommend the app you are most comfortable with.  I use Lightwave 8.5.  I'm currently beta testing Lightwave 9.2.  I don't use Z-Brush,  but I've seen some great artwork with the Lightwave to Z-Brush combination. 

I don't have Poser 7.  I do all my rigging in Poser 5.  Poser 6's centers kept flying around when I would rig.  As for morphs,  I make my own with Lightwave,  export the obj then bring up the properties panel in Poser and load morph target.  ( Side note:  checkout www.flay.com they have some great plugins for Lightwave ) 

My figure poly counts range between 4k to 100k+ depending on the project.  Poser figures are between 25k to 35k give or take.  When I make my figures,  whether for Poser, Games, or 3d anatomy charts,  I start out with two edgelooped frames,  one for the head and one for the body,  based on Grey's anatomy,  adjust,  then fill in the details. Usually,  extruding edges ( keeping the polys uniform while tracing the reference picture ) and adding beveled discs ( ankles, knees, buttocks, belly button, and elbows ).  ( Side note: save the details to a parts box ).  If you would like,  e-mail me at chieftanoclan7@sbcglobal.net and I'll give you copies of the edgeloop frames.

If you are interested in creating you're own figures the first place I recommend is the 3d modelling forum at www.cgtalk.com .  especially the "post your favorite tutorial" thread.

As for rigging,  learn to rig in your 3d modelling app first, this will give you more options with your figures and you'll be able to apply the techniques to Poser.  I applied what I learned in Lightwave rigging when I isolated the hip bone.  My next experiment will be static bones,  that won't move, but will be able to lend their spherical fall off zones to smooth the mesh around different joints.  After that,  IK'ed body handles and who know's maybe a reversed foot rigging.  The main difference between Lightwave and Poser is this, Poser has groups,  Lightwave has parts.  Poser has spherical fall off zones,  Lightwave has weight maps. 

I've heard that Daz Studio is going to support sub-d,  I hope that Poser will as well.  Fbx support would be nice too.

Cheers,
Patorak 

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 9:25 AM

file_375373.jpg

Here's the head edgeloop frame

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 11:45 AM

Looking at some of the latest DAZ stuff, I'm inclined to think that they just don't know what to do with Poser 5 and later. And they have their own DAZ Studio which is, in many ways, still at the level of Poser 4. Now, there are some talented people selling content through DAZ, and V4 seems to involve some clever stuff, as well as some really awkward choices--look at the UV mapping for one--and a lot of things poorly explained, and I'm beginning to think that there's nobody there with the particular inventiveness of Anton Kisiel. That sort of creative genius is rare, and it sometimes leads you into other problems. But I don't think DAZ have access to it. The other side of the problem is exemplified by both DAZ and eFrontier. Look at the quality of information in a DAZ readme. Examine the Poser manual, and try to figure out what the shader nodes do. Does anyone remember the discussions of the P5 Hair Room? You have to communicate the details of the innovation, in a way which allows people to use it. Of course, people have to read the instructions too. There's a lot of mileage in click-click-click-NViaTWaS.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 9:40 PM

Quote - (Decloaking)
Hi RorrKonn

When it comes to 3d modelling apps,  I recommend the app you are most comfortable with.  I use Lightwave 8.5.  I'm currently beta testing Lightwave 9.2.  I don't use Z-Brush,  but I've seen some great artwork with the Lightwave to Z-Brush combination. 

I don't have Poser 7.  I do all my rigging in Poser 5.  Poser 6's centers kept flying around when I would rig.  As for morphs,  I make my own with Lightwave,  export the obj then bring up the properties panel in Poser and load morph target.  ( Side note:  checkout www.flay.com they have some great plugins for Lightwave ) 

My figure poly counts range between 4k to 100k+ depending on the project.  Poser figures are between 25k to 35k give or take.  When I make my figures,  whether for Poser, Games, or 3d anatomy charts,  I start out with two edgelooped frames,  one for the head and one for the body,  based on Grey's anatomy,  adjust,  then fill in the details. Usually,  extruding edges ( keeping the polys uniform while tracing the reference picture ) and adding beveled discs ( ankles, knees, buttocks, belly button, and elbows ).  ( Side note: save the details to a parts box ).  If you would like,  e-mail me at chieftanoclan7@sbcglobal.net and I'll give you copies of the edgeloop frames.

If you are interested in creating you're own figures the first place I recommend is the 3d modelling forum at www.cgtalk.com .  especially the "post your favorite tutorial" thread.

As for rigging,  learn to rig in your 3d modelling app first, this will give you more options with your figures and you'll be able to apply the techniques to Poser.  I applied what I learned in Lightwave rigging when I isolated the hip bone.  My next experiment will be static bones,  that won't move, but will be able to lend their spherical fall off zones to smooth the mesh around different joints.  After that,  IK'ed body handles and who know's maybe a reversed foot rigging.  The main difference between Lightwave and Poser is this, Poser has groups,  Lightwave has parts.  Poser has spherical fall off zones,  Lightwave has weight maps. 

I've heard that Daz Studio is going to support sub-d,  I hope that Poser will as well.  Fbx support would be nice too.

Cheers,
Patorak 

Patorak

Very kind offer about your mesh that looks great bye the way,but I have character meshes.

http://www.atomic-3d.com/RK_3DArt/RK_Chrome_Portrait_01.htm

http://www.atomic-3d.com/RK_3DArt/RorrKonn_Battle-Skull_600_2005.htm

http://www.atomic-3d.com/RK_3DArt/3D_RK_Faces.htm

Have bodies also will post them here soon.

Recovering from a virus ,still loading software from where we reformatted.

Haven't got my 2D app loaded yet that captured crops etc etc.

I can rig,weight,morphs and all in C4D.

Depend 99% on morphs 1% on rigs thou.

Hung out at CGTalk for years learned a lot there.

Still have a lot to learn about Poser.know very little about Poser.

RorrKonn

Flay,Worley is in Atomic,LW Links,need to update the page thuo :)

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 9:46 PM

Quote - Looking at some of the latest DAZ stuff, I'm inclined to think that they just don't know what to do with Poser 5 and later. And they have their own DAZ Studio which is, in many ways, still at the level of Poser 4. Now, there are some talented people selling content through DAZ, and V4 seems to involve some clever stuff, as well as some really awkward choices--look at the UV mapping for one--and a lot of things poorly explained, and I'm beginning to think that there's nobody there with the particular inventiveness of Anton Kisiel. That sort of creative genius is rare, and it sometimes leads you into other problems. But I don't think DAZ have access to it. The other side of the problem is exemplified by both DAZ and eFrontier. Look at the quality of information in a DAZ readme. Examine the Poser manual, and try to figure out what the shader nodes do. Does anyone remember the discussions of the P5 Hair Room? You have to communicate the details of the innovation, in a way which allows people to use it. Of course, people have to read the instructions too. There's a lot of mileage in click-click-click-NViaTWaS.

Antonia Tiger

Could you educate me about Anton Kisiel.

Did he use to work for DAZ ?

What did he do that makes him a Poser genius and all ?

RorrKonn

jjroland ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 10:50 PM

This is an interesting thread - alot to learn here.  
I'm wondering - how does one know how many polys are in a particular character - is there somewhere you can go to look?

I recently attempted an animated scene with 4 m3s and quite a few daz clothing pieces.  I did not accomplish my goal - but this thread made me wonder if it might be possible with apollo ( I haven't got around to getting him yet).  Is there a significant difference in the "polys" between the two?  What is the number difference?

Is it the opinion that I might have better luck in that endeavor using him?

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

mylemonblue ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 10:53 PM

Anton is one of the communities most advanced at rigging and knows well the esoterics of what goes on inside CR2 files. He was once associated with DAZ at one time.

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 2:30 AM

Attached Link: Anton Kisiels Website

Anton Kisiel worked once for DAZ. If you search for his name there you will find quite a lot of stuff he did. After he left DAZ, he made Apollo Maximus, arguably one of the best figures around. Anton made Apollo free some weeks ago, go on his website, download Apollo and see what's special about him. You may be impressed.

Anton is active here as well, but it is easier to reach him at the forum of Content Paradise.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 2:32 AM

Attached Link: Get Apollo here....

And to try Apollo.....

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

patorak ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 6:58 AM

Hi RorrKonn

Excellent work.  As for Poser,  I suggest " Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5 " by B L Render.  It's a great book with a lot of useful information.

Cheers,
Patorak 

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 7:06 AM

Quote - This is an interesting thread - alot to learn here.  
I'm wondering - how does one know how many polys are in a particular character - is there somewhere you can go to look?

I recently attempted an animated scene with 4 m3s and quite a few daz clothing pieces.  I did not accomplish my goal - but this thread made me wonder if it might be possible with apollo ( I haven't got around to getting him yet).  Is there a significant difference in the "polys" between the two?  What is the number difference?

Is it the opinion that I might have better luck in that endeavor using him?

App like LW,C4D tells you Poly Counts.Do not know if Poser does.

Poser meshes have a lot of morphs that makes the meshes file size larger also.

For animation

Unless you have a renderfarm of alot of computers and a app that supports render farms.

you only other option is real time renders.

iClone and Real Talk is built for real time renders and has every thing ya need to succeed at producing Video's fast.

http://www.reallusion.com/

If you have a killer 3D card and do not use any complex stuff you could cheat do realtime renders in any 3D app.

would not look as good if rendered.

RorrKonn

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 8:14 AM

mylemonblue,bantha

Thanks for the info.

patorak

Thanks for the complement

" Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5 " by B L Render is at the top of my to get list :)

RorrKonn

Channing ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:17 AM

JoePublic, That M3 render looks great. I've not really gotten the hang of the morphbrush ... do you mind providing some tips on using it to correct M3's shoulders like you did?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 12:52 AM

file_375570.jpg

All I've read was the first thread, so my apoligies for any reitertion.

The answer, simply, is more curves.  The V3Print.PZZ this image was rendered from is roughly 5MB, and I'd say at least half of that is hair and shoes.

3D Polycount is very similr to 2D Resolution.  At a small scale everything looks the same, but render out to life sized, or something to fill a billboard, and there is no substiution for bigger polycounts and resolutions; your getting more places to pinpoint, bigger, textures.  

The Master V3Master.PZ3 that the V3Print.PZZ was formed from, is over 250MBs, but that file is as much as an archive as anything else.  When I'm not just making it bigger, and I do'nt need(for spinning dials) I do'nt work with it.  I've several threads I explained how I got from my Master to my Print scenes, but in a nutshell the free tools you may be interested in are:

SVDL's Spawcharcter.PY.
Ockhams ZeroMorphs.PY - To prep for the next tool.
SVDL's DeleteMorphs.PY - Deletes any moprh with a value of zero.
MorphManager - To really gut the BlankV3.CR2
And knowing how to Export/Import MT.OBJs is a major bonus

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:08 AM

Quote - All I've read was the first thread, so my apoligies for any reitertion.

The answer, simply, is more curves.  The V3Print.PZZ this image was rendered from is roughly 5MB, and I'd say at least half of that is hair and shoes.

3D Polycount is very similr to 2D Resolution.  At a small scale everything looks the same, but render out to life sized, or something to fill a billboard, and there is no substiution for bigger polycounts and resolutions; your getting more places to pinpoint, bigger, textures.  

The Master V3Master.PZ3 that the V3Print.PZZ was formed from, is over 250MBs, but that file is as much as an archive as anything else.  When I'm not just making it bigger, and I do'nt need(for spinning dials) I do'nt work with it.  I've several threads I explained how I got from my Master to my Print scenes, but in a nutshell the free tools you may be interested in are:

SVDL's Spawcharcter.PY.
Ockhams ZeroMorphs.PY - To prep for the next tool.
SVDL's DeleteMorphs.PY - Deletes any moprh with a value of zero.
MorphManager - To really gut the BlankV3.CR2
And knowing how to Export/Import MT.OBJs is a major bonus

I disagree, i believe that the main important thing is the quality of the mapping, and the quality of the texturing.  To prove my point, I'm discussing with karen1573 the possibility of organizing a contest between my PosetteV3 and the Daz V3, where identical textures, poses and lighting would be used to see who could create the bettere looking render.
Yours truly,
David P. Hoadley

patorak ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:22 AM

Hmmm....   The next gen games for the new xbox 360 are going to support figures with 10k to 20k poly counts.  Now,  I wonder why the gaming industry would want figures with higher poly counts.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:31 AM

DP - How would you explain 2D Resolution?  

It'd be lie car racing though.  Some cars are bulit, and geared, for torque; to finish at quarter mile race in the fastest time.  And other cars are built,. and geared, to maintain 200MPH, for miles and miles and miles on end.

If the contest were to render a screensaver animation, then yes, you would have a power advantage; you would get off the line much quicker,  V3's weight would get in my way, and be a waste.  But turn the table and open the contest from the macro scale; have us render life-sized to billboard sized frames, that the judges would be inspecing with magnifying glasses, and the competition would be similalry missmatched.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:37 AM

Hay has anyone ever heard of Vector Polys?  I hav'nt, but I know this is the mathmatical savior to always being conserned about what your 2D Resolution is.  As when you create a Vector based 2D image, it never has a Resolution.  Vector based images look the same small as they do posted on the side of a building, because the relationship between each pixel is a mathematical equation.  I bet Polys could do this also?

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:44 AM

I thinking in terms of the average size render in the galleries here, the kind that most people say can't be done in quality without a Hi-rez figure with less that half a million polys. ;=D
DPH

Zarat ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:56 AM · edited Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:58 AM

Quote - Hay has anyone ever heard of Vector Polys?  I hav'nt, but I know this is the mathmatical savior to always being conserned about what your 2D Resolution is.  As when you create a Vector based 2D image, it never has a Resolution.  Vector based images look the same small as they do posted on the side of a building, because the relationship between each pixel is a mathematical equation.  I bet Polys could do this also?

Something like this. But this method is in use for quite some years already.
Not exactly the same tho as vectors have to many limits that won't matter much for 2D, but for 3D.

For some reason (-lazyness-) there are just to many sticking to highpoly tell hell freezes over.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:59 AM

👍

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 2:07 AM

Ha-ha...hah...

That's the feeling I got.  I know it's be math intesive, but you'd think this'd be right up our alley?  I've thought this would be the way to go eventually, and I'm real surprised we do'nt see it anywhere.

/me feels to side from laughing so hard...

Zarat ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 2:33 AM

I remember to have it seen the first time while programming GPU's.
GPU's are good for vector math and they are cheaper than true vector processors.
Back in about 1999 or so that was. lolz...
Later, about 2001, it was nothing fancy anymore to do complex scientific sims or graphics on the gpu. AFAIK There was never a software for homecomputers because they got only 1 or today 2 graphicsystems and the 32bit aren't a big help here as well.
The problem would have been to get the data fast enough to the graphic subsystem.
The next problem would have been the memory limit of 2GB or 4GB.Somewhat later there were renderfarms to solve the memory and number of gpu limit.
For rendering some fancy picture a single gpu and a normal pc are enough. Same as with 2D vector graphics.
The math makes it a bit more difficult to change shapes but there are scriptlanguages and there are even new ones in developement currently. Just nor for mass market as usual...

It's also a question of marketing. Right now it's just many whitepapers, formulas and few nice pictures. That won't sell...

There's a project somewhere with a little (technical only) description for some approach to use math based graphics for fast depiction. Have to look for the link later...

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 2:48 AM

Don't know what Vector Polys are 100% for sure Deferent app call there stuff deferent things.

some of the older tex was called Vector Polys or something like that at one time.

LW calls sub dividing there mesh SubPatch

C4D calls sub dividing there mesh HyperNURBS

But in TrueSpace Nurbs are something totally deferent.

All I ever use is Polygons and Vertices

I don't even care about splines or nurbs.have absolutely no use for them what so ever.

I spent 9 years so far mastering Polygons and Vertices anything that can be done with splines or nurbs can be done with Polygons and Vertices so why should I care about splines or nurbs ?

Poser is nothing like the main App's like LW,C4D

LW,C4D = to xBox 360

Poser = to the original Ntindo made back in the 80's, I think it was the 80's

LW,C4D you can make a person look walk talk and BEND Realistically and not be able to tell there 3D.

at a polycount a whole lot lower then the 100,000.

The technology for Realistic Characters is all ready out there been out there for years buy alot of deferent names.

RorrKonn

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 3:06 AM

Thanks for the background Zarat, it was nice to hear somebody refer to this.

BTW - What is a GPU, is it a Graphics Processor Unit?  Is that the processor on a video card? 

RorrKonn - Are NURBs really vector based?

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 3:39 AM

Vector graphics are very old thing, it were the first 3D applications.
Its advantages were that needn't memory, in those days memory was very small and slow, but needed a special analog vector monitor that was something as an oscilloscope and not a raster device as is the computer monitor or TV.
It worked fine in those days because 3D images were limited to lines and geometric solids, but you cannot do a curved surface with a vector device!
When memory become available in size and with enough speed vector monitors were replaced by raster monitors and vector graphics belongs to history.
There are still some 2D applications that still use this concept as TTF fonts, but its only use is for something that can be described by line segments.
You can make an hypeboloid with vectors but never a sphere!

Stupidity also evolves!

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 3:54 AM · edited Sun, 22 April 2007 at 4:00 AM

Quote - Thanks for the background Zarat, it was nice to hear somebody refer to this.

BTW - What is a GPU, is it a Graphics Processor Unit?  Is that the processor on a video card? 

RorrKonn - Are NURBs really vector based?

vector, trigonometry and alot of other stuff may be used for coding a 3D app

but the term Vector, Trigonometry is seldom if ever used in 3D.

All we care about is Polygons,Vertices,Splines,Nurbs,UV's Textures .jpg,.bmp.etc etc.

the definition of Nurbs very from app to app

same name totally deferent tool thou.

You would half to ask coders of each app about Vectors.

The definition of Vector may very from app to app coders don't know

RorrKonn

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 4:03 AM

😄

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 4:21 AM · edited Sun, 22 April 2007 at 4:22 AM

You dudes are losing your head in the middle of lots of tecnical names. When a middle average Poser user (not too much guru, not too much newbie) needs a model, he/she doesn't ask for its nurbs, vectors, trigonometries, polycounts, etc. When I look for a model, I search:

-Realism
-Easy load in the Pose Window
-Easy pose when you moves it

Of course, the most polys, the most spent memory, so your possing efforts will be harder in the screen

Posette was a nice model, but her joint points was a hell, and she was less realistic. With all works and time of people like David or Narcissus, she's a very usable model again

But when I bought V4 I wasn't thinking 'how many polys she has?'. I was thinking on 'how many realism can I get with her?'

You dudes forget that not all we Poser users are programmers... :sad:

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.