Sat, Jul 20, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 15 1:07 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Repeat OFFENDER?!?!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 12:18 PM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 6:17 AM

WHY do some members feel they have to comment on just about every image in the gallery and when they do...use the same canned, copy & paste text for any given day. 

It IRKS me to no end  and shows no REAL appreciation for members artwork at all.  Anyone else feel the same way?

Sorry for my RANT..think its time to go grab ANOTHER cup of coffee! (LOL!)

J:cursing:e

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 12:22 PM

maybe the people dont know Enlish that well and thats why they use a premade line
Be happy they actualy post a comment ..
Premade are just as valid as made up one's....

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 12:36 PM

Some folk seriously think they're being community-minded when they comment on as many images as they can.  Others, as BAR-CODE has stated, just aren't English speakers, so they pre-write a comment, and copy/paste it on the ones they like.  Others are looking to GET about 1/2 the comments they give.   

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 1:10 PM

Quote JenX> ***Quote - Some folk seriously think they're being community-minded when they comment on as many images as they can.  Others, as BAR-CODE has stated, just aren't English speakers, so they pre-write a comment, and copy/paste it on the ones they like.  Others are looking to GET about 1/2 the comments they give.   ***

***In my opinion, this is a case of the latter -wanting comments in return.  Hey, but that's just me.  Honestly, one meaningful comment is worth more to me than this kind of thing.  Not into the comment hoarding mentality ...and never will be.  I've sent sitemail to the member to voice my concerns and hopefully they will understand where I'm coming from.

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 1:12 PM

Hopefully, they'll see your POV in a polite a manner as you seem to be taking this.  Let us know if you have any problems. 

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 3:12 PM

I guess you can turn off comments if it really bothers you?

People aren't going to change just because we want them to...and most of them mean well. 

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

bonestructure ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 12:55 PM

Hey, I'm happy just to get ANY comments.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Kattey ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 10:02 AM

Quote - Hey, I'm happy just to get ANY comments.

The kitten on your avatar is very cute :)
(your 3DMax works too :))

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2008 at 9:30 PM

Or you get the ones that gush omg this is goregous and fawn all over each other, I think this is more sicker than what you described. LOL

bonestructure ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2008 at 9:46 PM

While I look at the galleries regularly, I just don't make many comments anymore. No matter how good the image may be, I feel like it's a waste of electrons to just say 'hey, bloody good work, mate'. When I do comment I try to make constructive criticism on how I see an image can be improved, while at the same time letting the person know what I like. Because, why bother commenting if you don't like the image? Though I will at times offer constructive criticism to obvious beginners who seem to have potential. I like to be encouraging.

At the same time, if you look at an image that has twenty gushingly good comments, you start to feel rather curmudgeonly when you're the only one to say, hey, this could be better if...

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Lzy724 ( ) posted Sat, 06 December 2008 at 12:27 AM

Quote - Or you get the ones that gush omg this is goregous and fawn all over each other, I think this is more sicker than what you described. LOL

that is more bothersome than anything ever.  I dont mind the copy paste because of the language barrier, but come on with the OMG, gorgeous stuff because it seriously makes me wonder about some things.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 06 December 2008 at 2:41 PM

If I get more than 5 comments per Image I'm exstatic! I don't post my images for critiscism and have my comments flagged as such. I just want to know if people liked what I did. Period.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 9:25 AM

Sometime I wonder if the artwork is really being looked at anymore!  It seems EVERYTHING posted is AWESOME these days!   I see comments like GREAT RENDER and its a photograph...huh?  It's like we're turning into comment robots...it doesn't really matter what's posted anymore. A photo of a pile of dog crap...50 comments! :blink:  People have there FAVS and get their li'l email BOTS and have to post....kinda like Pavlovs dog...ding ding ding! 

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 4:07 PM

Quote - Sometime I wonder if the artwork is really being looked at anymore!  It seems EVERYTHING posted is AWESOME these days!   I see comments like GREAT RENDER and its a photograph...huh?  It's like we're turning into comment robots...it doesn't really matter what's posted anymore. A photo of a pile of dog crap...50 comments! :blink:  People have there FAVS and get their li'l email BOTS and have to post....kinda like Pavlovs dog...ding ding ding! 

I totally agree with you, the way people lie here is outragous, I see comments like outstanding work and its horrible, there I said it lol

They play the how many artists they know game and its sickning I only comment on work that is actually pleasing to me, not to the followeres or GORGREOUS and such like comments when I say outstanding you can bet you last dollar it is lol

Makes us not have many friends here but who cares, I dont want to know anyone that plays that game its pathetic

Daidalos ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 6:33 PM · edited Fri, 12 December 2008 at 6:46 PM

Jen,

Can I be completely honest here? Pleaaaaase oh pretty please?

Because I know if I am someones going to complain. :lol:

"The Blood is the life!"

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 6:40 PM

Oh I see its a gripe to tell the truth here lol

Daidalos ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 6:48 PM · edited Fri, 12 December 2008 at 6:51 PM

Yep. And as I said if I did, I am quite certain someone's going to be offended.

This is why I try to follow the rule if I can't say something nice I won't say anything at all.

Because sometimes the truth, the absolute complete honest truth, is not pretty, and not very flattering.

Infact sometimes the truth can hurt quite a bit. But hey don't let that stop anyone, on those images I post, in wich I ask for both critical and non critical commentary tell me what you really think, and if you think it's crap how I can make it better.

I'm always open to such comments. It's how I grow as an artist. I mean hell if no one had ever done that, I'd still be rendering pixalated, non antialiased images. :lol:

"The Blood is the life!"

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 6:51 PM

I stick to that rule thats why I refuse to comment and gush like 3/4 of the people on this place.
I will never go out of my way to hurt a complete stranger for no reason its rude.

Daidalos ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2008 at 5:28 PM

I agree it's rude to do that 3D Illusion. But then again, on the other hand I don't think someone should ask for critical feedback if they aren't going to like it when they get well criticism either. And lots of the folks out there do get mad, really mad, if thats the kind of feedback you give them, eventhough, they asked you for precisely that.

So as I was saying I find its best to always walk the middle ground, and not say anything at all, if I can't say something nice that is.

"The Blood is the life!"

3Dillusions ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2008 at 5:44 PM

You know I keep forgetting about that nice and critical part of posting
As I have comments on I seem to be blind about that bit, but I don't go out of my way to say something bad, only one when it was blatantly obvious they were using shaders and not lights and not telling people lol

Put my nose out of joint as when you render for a vendor with shaders it hides all the bad skin mats, makes me so angry so I usually tell people what lights and shaders I use, for me thats the only thing that rubs these days.

As for the rest, I can remember my first render, and all I can Say Is OMG, lights are your freinds, find the right ones and your artwork shines :)

frenchromeo ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2008 at 3:25 PM

Welcome in the world of rendo,i give you comments and you give me comments,i see lots of craps in the tops.Seems that ppl just copy/paste and fav just because they are "friends".I don't comment much,only on the images that i really like .If you want to get in the tops start making lots of comments and favs,it's the only way,don't matter if your image is good or not:Sad :)

Angelsinger ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2009 at 9:44 AM

Quote - maybe the people dont know Enlish that well and thats why they use a premade line...

I know of at least one person here who does this for the precise reason you mentioned.

Quote - Sometime I wonder if the artwork is really being looked at anymore!  ...I see comments like GREAT RENDER and its a photograph...huh? 

lol!! On the other hand, I envy those whose renders make me think it's a photo! :p

Btw, I saw a very spirited scifi image featuring a masculine, grit-covered fellow; one comment left was, "she is beautiful!" Of course, I laughed. After thinking about the variety of languages represented on this forum, though, it made me wonder if the commenter spoke a language in which the word for 'render' or 'image' (etc.) was feminine.

Sometimes I laugh first before thinking...

Quote - ...on the other hand I don't think someone should ask for critical feedback if they aren't going to like it when they get well criticism either.

Absolutely!

Quote - ...And lots of the folks out there do get mad, really mad, if thats the kind of feedback you give them, eventhough, they asked you for precisely that

Dude. I know just what you mean.

It's like ordering the shrimp/lobster combo and being angry because there's lobster on your plate. lmfao

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 2:02 PM

I have a poster who has posted nice things (although rather cookie-cutter-ish) on quite a lot of my images´. And.. er.. I LOVE comments. But a comment that only says "awesome" is a little.. "bleh.. I followed the eBot for THAT?"

At the same time I'm probably not good at handling critical comment, but mostly because we can't answer them - or... you can but it the critic answers back the first reply is autimatically deleted thereby making a mess of the whole string.

And in some cases there may be a very good reason for something in the picture. For instance I recently posted a pic in my LJ (since it's SO against the TOS here) where one of the people there pointed out that my Snape should be a lot skinnier. And that person was absolutely right. Thing is I was ALSO using that picture to test some poses for a friend - and when you're testing poses you need to use unmorphed characters.

Now, that's something I culdn't get a meaningful dialogue out of here, because the gallery and comments doesn't work that way.

I would also never ever throw a critical comment on how to "improve" this and that if it was something I didn't know at all. regardless of whether or not the posted had checked "Critical and non critical comments welcome" - it, too, might be someone who wasn't all that eloquent with the English language and didn't know what it meant.

If someone on the other hand posts in the forum asking for honest feedback on a picture, they'll get just that. I may like it or I may hate it, but I'll tell thekm WHY.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

DarkStormCrow ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 9:22 AM

I am probably one of those folks who you folks would find guilty of cookie cutter comments and or comment hoarding.

I do consider commenting as part of being community as much as some folks consider posting in the forums consider that part of being community. I comment on those folks who have chosen me as a favorite artist and those who comment on my images first, then I cruise the galleries and comment on other images I like. If you really want to see what images I really like then cruise my favorite images. Are some comments cookie cutter comments obviously yes, but that also depends on how much time I actually have availiable to comment. My return on comments is usually somewhere around 7 to 1 meaning for every 7 comments I make I usually get 1 back not a very effective hoarding plan if you ask me. Comments also , hopefully get folks to at least look at my work, when a name I dont recognize comments on something I have done I always go to thier gallery and have a look, usually commenting on the most recent and several others.

Most folks who make it to the top commented for the day or the art charts, have been on renderosity for a long time, have built up a following, and comment regularly. Many artists who I feel really do good work rarely make it onto the most commented because for the simple fact that they do not comment and support those that support them.

No one who posts on this site is such a great artist that they can get by by not commenting and just posting thier work, no matter how good you are or think you are you are not above supporting and reaching back to help new artists or those you think do less than stellar work. To me a comment good or bad is worth having and I dont have a problem with the negative, sometimes I will even tell you the negative when I post the image.

Some of the folks who post thier work here are disabled many would consider thier work is less than stellar but I support them anyway. I have a hard time posting a critical comment to anyone as not to discourage them, If I see something really bad and obvious I will site mail them I will not trash someones image in comments.

If you dont feel that folks are being sincere when the comment on an image you post then turn off comments. If you feel that your images arent getting the comments and recognition they deserve then you should participate the you have to ask yourself why, did you you look at the galleries of those who did comment?, did you thank them for thier comment?, Did someone who regularly comments on your images suddenly quit?, Personally if I am commenting on someones work over time and cant get a comment back on my usual one image a week for the most part, I quit commenting on thier work. I support those who support me.

My work is not the greatest.
No one elses work is crap.
No one is better than anyone else.
Everyones work has value.

Thats my view from the nest...

KHW

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 11:35 AM

I agree with what DarkStormCrow said....and I have quit commenting on some galleries simply because I feel its a waste of time if its not reciprocated once in a while.  I don't expect any type of comment in particular...and the threads i see like this one from time to time have discouraged me from posting comments randomly because you never know when someone will take offense because you didn't tell them exactly what they wanted to hear.

When I need help I have fellow artists here who will give me feedback i need...and the forums teach me a lot...I don't care if someone who comments on my work takes the time to go into details.....time is precious.....

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

marcus55 ( ) posted Wed, 18 February 2009 at 1:12 AM

Yes, commenting is a risky business; you never know when someone takes what you say completely in the wrong way and gets offended..  and I've never been a supporter of the you-comment-on-me, I-comment-on-you mentality..   nonsense......

Hence I decided to make my own policy for commenting,,  and that's why I don't have a lot of friends and very few comments...  lol

But I think I'm being a lot more honest about it, I only comment on an image when it stands out in the crowd, when it really grabs my attention and makes me want to look closer to see what the artist is doing...   I don't give a crap who the artist is;  what I mean by that is I won't be selective on who's images I give comments to because, to me anyways, that's just another type of predjudice..   if an image stands out I comment regardless of who the artist is...   and if it doesn't I move on...

I have a few favorite artists sure, but I have been following their work for some time and have come to trust the fact that they produce consistently quality work that is not only an inspiration to me but has also won my respect for their artistic abilities over time....

jus' my 2 cents worth...

IO4 ( ) posted Thu, 19 February 2009 at 8:16 AM

In my opinion, if you aren't satisfied or happy with the comments people leave, send them a private message explaining why or just turn the message facility off!  It's pretty pathetic  I think to give the option for making comments and then complain about them (unless they are rude or offensive because that isn't warranted).

I personally am grateful for any messages I get - that someone has taken the time to view one of my images and leave a comment  is kind in my book. They didn't have to.

I comment on whatever images I like that I come across whilst browsing. Doesn't matter who the artist is. If  I like it I will say so. I don't tend to write long comments, and sometimes I will just say something like 'Beautiful image!' because that's what I think! Sometimes I do want to be more explanatory, but can't always find the right words especially if it's an image that has really impressed on me emotionally.

It's a bit sad and ungracious that the issue of commenting (unless we are talking soley about comments that are just downright rude or offensive) makes some so uptight. It's a free artist community! Enjoy it!:)

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

marcus55 ( ) posted Thu, 19 February 2009 at 11:00 AM

I was in a writing community years ago and the way that group worked was - You had to write X number of critiques of people's stories before getting the right to post a story of your own...  but that wasn't all there was to it, there were rules too - when commenting on someone's work it wasn't enough to say I liked this or didn't like that, you had to state valid reasons why,,  and it didn't stop there - the language you used in critiquing someone's work had to be polite, respectful, without even a hint of rudeness or you were temporarily banned from critiquing or posting a story for a period of time, then the whole thing would start all over again...  

My only point of saying that is - giving someone negative feedback on an image they post is only useful when it is done in the right way and valid reasons are given to why a negative comment is being given...   since art is only in the eye of the beholder, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to just say it sucks without giving some reason or reasons why, and stating them in a respectful way..   That's the reason I never leave negative feedback on an image - I've always felt that if someone wants my ideas on how an image can be improved and they ask I would be happy to do so, but it would always only be done in the most polite fashion since ultimately my opinion or anyone else's for that matter is just that - only an opinion...    

~>M

Paloth ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 11:38 PM

In a perfect world, everyone who allowed for the possibility of critical responses would accept them in stride or learn from them. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world. There are pressures here. We must deal with the context. If everyone is sweetness and light (bad taste or popularity contest not withstanding,) it is harsh and rude to be truthful, unless you really love a work and rave in a manner that will seem to be a plea for reciprocal raves. These days, I’d rather just surf the ‘What’s New’ category and click on the art that looks good, without comment. At least that adds to the view count and expresses a form of appreciation, though I prefer comments myself and believe all the raves wholeheartedly!

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 03 March 2009 at 9:47 AM

May I add one thing...

How many ways can you truly say, "I was here, I looked at your work, and I liked it." without running out of ways to say it? I often, due to time constraints, CAN'T look at all the gallery images, much less comment. BUT, I also feel bad if no one looks at my work. SO, is it so bad to have a comment much like what I wrote above here, and use it on all images? AT LEAST you know that I visited, and I cared enough to leave word I was there! Often I don't have time to be able to post any comment, visit the whole range of the gallery and if i see something that really strikes me as impressive I just make the image a Fav, fully intending to come back and say something really meaningful... but I just run out of time! Sometimes I will see an image weeks down the line and wonder "How did I miss this!" But I try to see as much as possible.

Seriously, I know of a couple of people who leave a "generic" compliment. I feel good knowing they cared enough to always look at my work, and to always leave a little note that they stopped by. It is saying something when someone just takes the time to post anything (*even a generic), cause I know how tight time is to many.

On the other coin, how about people who get massive numbers of comments, because it is more about friendships, and less about quality art or content (*this is pointing out how friendships boost comments, not saying anyone is not a good artist!!!)? Are you maybe confusing the two issues? Are you looking for a larger friend network to comment on all your work? I have a moderate amount of friends and favs on line... I just can't always comment, because I have to take the pup out, help my elderly neighbor shop or so on. All of my friends do not always comment either. I don't blame them, they do when they can, but they also have lives off line. So what can you do?

If a person stops by, leaves a generic "I was here, and enjoyed your work." style comment... I should think it says they care. Does that help? In fact because i read this thread, I now plan to use those exact words on all pics! If it is incredible, I will sitemail the artist. Because if i do the generic post, I at least can look at more work and say something nice!  : )  So ThanX a bunch for posting this! : D

Hugs(*and I'll go take a look at your gallery too!)

Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 03 March 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hmm... this gives me an idea, it does. Off to the Suggestion Box...

Faemike55 ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 6:24 PM

I've been the recipient of more than one 'cookie-cutter' comment. at first it annoyed me but then I realized when I visited their gallery, they were living in another country and their command of the English language wasn't all that great.

Regarding critcal comments! I''ve actually requested that people 'rake me over the coals'  as it were when it comes to critiquing my renders. some do, right there in the comments and others send me a site mail pointing out various things that I goofed up on!
As I see it, the only way I'm going to get better, is if people tell me what I've done wrong and THEN tell me ways to fix the problem.

Now, I admit to some guilt when it comes to being 'gushing' as it were. However, I view it as their work is by far so superior to what I've done that I can't help it. It's not envy, it's more my god! How do I get to that level or quality in my images?

What I really enjoy is when someone posts the technical details of the render, that is, what they did to achieve the effect. That has helped me get to the level I'm at so quickly, I pay attention to things like that. I just wish that more people would do it.

Quid pro quo - I've actually been 'called out' on that one! one person sent me a SM informing me that it is a courtesy that if a person comments on your image you must go to their gallery and comment on theirs.  The problem with that, at least in my eyes, is that I do comment on a lot of her work, but she and a few others ONLY comment on my photos - nothing else! Does any one have an answer to that situation?

I'll sign off now!
 Let me know what you think
Mike

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 8:02 PM

Yes and after careful thought I realized that for me a generic comment doesn't cut it! LOL! I just have too darn much to say! I had thought a generic would cover things, and I could look at more art here. And then I realized I have to say something!!! It isn't me not to comment!

You know Mike as for people who comment selectively. I have a degree in photography... I know so many people who think photos aren't really art! And the opposite I am sure applies to non-photos for some! When it comes to art I honestly don't understand why it is divided into catagories! Good art is just good art! If something in it grabs you, say so, if it doesn't then discuss it discreetly with the person in sitemail?  I only know that I have no idea how many artist post daily, but a lot get overlooked because they aren't well known or have loads of friends. I wish I had time to post on so much more...

I don't know what to say about the "tit for tat mindset". Seems that I have heard a few say why did I not comment, but I am not always here! :P So that is for me an unanswerable question at best. 

Hugs

Ariana

Richardphotos ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 10:03 AM

myself, I hate typing and very bad at it.I use to be able to comment a lot when I was still working, but being retired also means being tired unfortunately.beats being in pain however from busting your butt all day

I appreciate any commenting, even negative as long as it meets renderosity standards for use of language. constructive comments worded right has far more impact than mean deceitful  slanders

language is a problem also and using translators is time consuming

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 10:15 AM

Oh i know it is so hard for a lot of international peeps to say something other then in thier native tongue! I get lots of language comments and I am just excited that they are so enthusiastic! Could be they are throwing stones or flowers... hell I wouldn't know the diff! But to see the comment is always fun!

Hugs

Ariana 

lior ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 2:51 PM

Quote - Oh i know it is so hard for a lot of international peeps to say something other then in thier native tongue! I get lots of language comments and I am just excited that they are so enthusiastic! Could be they are throwing stones or flowers... hell I wouldn't know the diff! But to see the comment is always fun!

Hugs

Ariana 

Hi Ariana

I've just commented your last artwork but I'm not a Poser artist so I don't know the tecnical Poser language and English is not my first language so it seems that you'd feel my comment has no meaning...but even if I'm not a Poser artist, Poser artists give me an influence.
If I don't like any artwork I prefer not to comment it instead of giving any  critical comment!

Hugs
Lior

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 9:22 PM

Oh no lior!

Quite the opposite! I mean to say that I have several friends that say, spanish or german is thier 1st language. Many do not use a translator. I meant you can 'see' and 'feel' the sincerity and warmth. Please do not take it as disregard or disrespect. I appreciate yours (*& and all comments) in any language.

I hope this helps you to understand how I meant the comment better. :)

Hugs

Ariana 

chimera46 ( ) posted Wed, 15 July 2009 at 8:41 PM

Quote - WHY do some members feel they have to comment on just about every image in the gallery and when they do...use the same canned, copy & paste text for any given day. 

It IRKS me to no end  and shows no REAL appreciation for members artwork at all.  Anyone else feel the same way?

Sorry for my RANT..think its time to go grab ANOTHER cup of coffee! (LOL!)

J:cursing:e

Awesome post, I just LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XOXOXOXOXO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

chimera46 ( ) posted Wed, 15 July 2009 at 8:42 PM

Someone had to do it :)

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

Faemike55 ( ) posted Wed, 15 July 2009 at 8:47 PM

I try to make my comments apropo to the image! I've noticed a couple people who seem not to get the concept between render and photo. but at least they're commenting.  One thing that gets me is that when a person faves and image and doesn't comment on the fave. I try to throw in a comment regarding the fave to let them know any additional thoughts!

As for the apology, none needed! Coffee yes! throw in a shot of brandy and it makes for a great night

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:12 AM

I am relatively new, uploaded my first image in January, I though maybe a newbie point of view could be of some interest.

The comment system, whatever its merits and/or faults is invented to solve a problem. The problem (that is worldwide) is the following: Everybody likes to get comments but is generally too lazy to give comments.

So if you have been around and asked you know that there is nowhere else you get any comments. Renderosity is the only place where it works. And it works by FORCING people to comment, ie if you want comments you HAVE TO give comments.

So before you critize, please point to some place where it works better. That will be difficult as you may discern.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 10:50 AM · edited Mon, 03 August 2009 at 10:57 AM

Sometimes when someone says  "Why doesn't anyone comment on my work?"  or "Why do they leave 'cookie cutter' comments on my work?" I wonder if they considered what else might be happening in everyday life with people?

I think that maybe it is just that lots of folk are tied down by time, work and other obligations. Here is the problem for myself. I am not online a lot. Generally I am online long enough to post and then I am back to work (*2 business', home, family, pets, online e-zine, forums on other sites, oh and creating art and such). I do both an online business and also a physical product business (*Leather and Fur work).
When I am online I try to catch up with my Fav Artists... but I can't always do so. I can only hope they understand.  Often I have less comments on some of my gallery posts due to this. But it can't be helped. I tried doing a 'coookie cutter' post to all of my favs, but that not only did not work, but I often like to make additional comments. So I do my best to keep up with my favs, and also see the new artists and give encouragement. But it is literally a time issue. I have a LOT of favs, and it is sometimes not possible to go to every single one's gallery to catch up. Some post 3 a day every day, and when I get on, I can be 30 images behind them. Hard to go through 30 images on possibly every single fav someone has. And on 30 images it is often hard to say something that doesn't end up sounding like a 'cookie cutter' comment!

So maybe it would be less "Offensive" when a person leaves that  'cookie cutter' comment, if  the people posting were to think about it this way. That person at least left some form of  a comment! I don't know seems that that should be preferable to no comment at all?! Because it actually takes time to do any comment. And at least they tried.

Hugs
Ariana

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 11:24 AM

FutureFantasyDesign, you are so right.

Myself I don't have so many favs that I cannot give a real comment but a 'cookie cutter' comment is better than none.

If we want to know how to behave -what that's comme il faut, there are no better place to check than high-society France during 18th century. For instance if someone was sick, and too ill to receive visitors they still made a short visit and left their card. When the person was well again he/she could appreciate those who had been considerate...

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 12:59 PM · edited Mon, 03 August 2009 at 1:00 PM

Very true! So that "Calling Card" etiquette should'nt be looked on as a "Slap in the Face" or being "Inconsiderate". But as at the very least making a sincere attempt to leave a comment.

Hugs

Ariana

Faemike55 ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:20 PM

I see both points and I agree. And I will  leave it at that

elfguy ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 10:56 AM

We all agree that people don't post critical comments, for the vast majority of cases. Personally I base myself on the number of comments, rather than what they say. If I post an image and it gets 15 comments, and another one gets 5, I assume that people in general preferred the first one. But that's about as far as you can take it. I see tons of images in the gallery I find amazing with few comments and others I find horrible that have lots, simply because of who posted them.

Spacer_01 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 8:32 PM

I've got a few outlooks and techniques of my own, some of which seem to help.

Including Information about the renders I post:
I usually post whats going on in the image I render or what I'm trying to achieve, or a little backstory, or usually what's going on in my life that came about into rendering the image. This is important to me as without any one of those catalysts, the render would never have came about, or the particular mood / feel / theme of the render. So I provide a few sentences or a reasonable paragraph (or two). If people view the image, read what i've wrote, then they get to understand a little more about what went into the image, why I made the image, and usually leave a nice thoughtful comment, sometimes reflecting on what i've wrote and rendered instead of getting as many cookie cutter comments. 

I'm not the only one who does this, as some of my gallery friends here usually has a story to tell that the image is to depict. Often its a history bite, with an anecdote of world history and fact. Whatever it may be, I often also see that people also tend to leave thoughtful comments and feedbck than the generic copy'n'paste.

I also see lots of people, who put up their images and don't offer or say a word about their work or what the image is about. Sometimes not much or anything is needed, sometimes the title says it all. Although I do have a few friends that do this, they put their image together in a way that its not a pinup, but rather in a silent movie type style that makes you wonder and guess.

Understanding the commenter:
As a few mentioned above here, theres usually a good chance that one doesn't realize that the commenter isn't always the same nationality, but from a different nationality with English not their primary language. Usually viewing their profile and gallery you find out those things.

Including my own thankyou:
I also usually add at the end of the image my own little cookie-cutter "Thankyou for viewing. Comments, constructive criticism and opinions are always and especially welcome." style thankyou card line. I do it to encourage commenting of all types, even though I really value and hope to get thoughtful ones.

Its not just about return-commenting:
I also do my best to return commenting on those who commented on me. I do my best to always browse their galleries, and one a few that I like, I'll leave a thougtful comment on, usually what stands out to me that makes me like the image. Some people really enjoyed my extra effort that I put into writing several sentances or a short paragraph, some of which have become good friends, and honestly comment their opinion on my works. This goes right along with the flipside of when I have a bunch of short 2-5 word comments then someone posts a few sentences which really stands out from the crowd. So it works both ways, along with the old saying - you have to give before (or if you want to / expect to) you receive.

I'm happy with what I get:
So, to me, I'm happy for the comments I get, which anything at all means more than just watching the view count climb. In appreciation I'm also happy to return the favor in commenting. Its certainly better than absolute nothing, and thats what I had came from on over at DeviantArt. (guess I wasn't part of a clique or social network over there. If your not then you'd might as well be stuck out in the middle of a desert, and left desperately thirsting for a comment that'd be like a few drops of water to one's parched throat). And thats directly the biggest contrast that I found when I came over here - when I post an image, theres at least going to be a few comments on it, rather than just a view and a wordless add to someone's fav collection. If someone even says a couple words, it tells me the person liked what I made, and it does feel good.  If I'm having a really down and out lousy day, all I need do is head to my gallery and be reminded people like my work so its not all bad. When I make my renders, I make them knowing they're not perfect,

Take what you like and scrap the rest:
Words of wisdom one of my gallery friends told me in their comment on one of my renders. It means to basically take what you like from the comments received, and don't worry about the rest is the rest isn't to your satisfaction, or different than your expecting. And sometimes people have different reactions to what you render, sometimes if its a different take on a familiar theme. I know at least once, I put up a render and titled it, and not everyone liked or agreed on the title, since the image wasn't what they expected by the title and the itsy-bitsy thumbnail they clicked on. But hey, thats totally ok, as the comment wasn't rude or disrespectful, it was simply the person being honest of what they thought.

Now, going back to the opening post title "repeat offenders" , I do have a question about one subject of commenting / leaving comments:

Have anyone of you here received possibly a generic short couple word comment, followed by the "please view my gallery" , and get that from the same person several images in a row?

Whats your stance on that? Is that commonly accepted here in the galleries? 

To me it least feels the effort is less about caring what you've rendered in your image but more like a self serving interest to get their view and comment number increased, possibly to climb that ladder. Or am I interpreting that wrong?

Faemike55 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 8:44 PM

the one(s) who say please view or visit my gallery I just really want to ignore or at least SM them aobut that comment.

What I do, if a new person visits an image and leaves a comment, I will go to their page, write them a thank you note, telling them I appreciate the time that they took to look at my image and invite them to, sometime in the future, peruse the rest of my gallery. At the same time, I have their gallery open and I will go through it and leave comments on the images that get my attention. If I really like their work overall, or they do a genre that I like, then I will go ahead and make them a favorite artist. and I explain why I've done it.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2009 at 12:58 PM · edited Wed, 02 September 2009 at 1:11 PM

***Warning! Some of my opinions are not popular!

Recently I have also seen the "...be sure to visit my gallery..." on some of my posts as well. I maybe understand the thought behind it, and don't really know what protocol is for this particular posting thought.

I have tried a new method to go back and see art that I have missed, altho it isn't working like I thought... I filter the auto 'bots from my gallery favs into a new folder that has only those notices. My intention was to go back when I get free moments and comment on all my favs at once! Didn't work. In 2 days I had over 100 images to back track to! By the end of the week I had over 700!!! And I only fav those very special (*to me) artists and other artists that (*to me) show potential. Not some of the others that are well known, like the general gallery mainstays that always have 60+ comments on the first day of thier posting (*slight exageration to make an example) (*because they perhaps might be relying on friends that comment). I feel honestly that many of these artists always in the top 100 are kept there because of these friends that drop in and always comment no matter what the pic may be. And that is keeping some of these artists with constantly high numbers, where were it not for that, they would be receiving the appx same amount of comments as any other artist here. Recently one of these high ranking artists made a post that no one liked thier work and they were thinking of quiting... well that got over 150 comments. I thought it not really very subtle. I did not comment. My comments go to those whose art moves me in some fashion. Sometimes it isn't everyone. So what can you say?

So often I see art that is so outstanding that only has maybe 0-10 comments, when clearly if compared side be side, excells in imagination, execution or both . THOSE are the ones I want to see & comment on!  Sometimes it is a photo or a fractal, sometimes it is inking, or 2D. But mostly it is new and interesting... it is just good art. Now on the other hand I often comment on new artists learning the program, or with great concepts but struggling with the execution. You see the raw abillity, but the finesse was not quite there yet. I have lots of fav'd pics that are just that. So I like to think I am fair.

As for my art. I know I am better then some, not as good as others.... but I also comprimised myself by whoring after comments. I lost my way and my art suffered. Now I am trying to do art the way I should, for me and my imagination, and style. And when I took up poser it was with every intention of expanding on what I already knew how to do. So my advice, comments are not nearly as important as how you feel about your art inside. That you create for creatings sake, not for others to say a passably sincere "Wow!". If you truly want a critique, write an artist that does simuliar work, or whose style you like or admire. Ask them for an honest assessment on your piece, not to get a comment but to get assistance!  ; )

I don't know if anyone who has posted here knows... I do the art editing for an on-line e-zine. I would love to see everyone's art in it! Novice or expert. But I post and no one responds or submits?! If you are an artist and want to have others see your work in a nuetral setting, feel free to contact me at ocsubmissions@gmail.com  You can list your gallery, (*and/or store too!). You can be sen by many and get feed back too. Mostly you can be recognized for your own merit. Think on it...

Hugs

Ariana

3_Bad_Mice ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 4:54 PM

they must love everyone ;)

NefariousDrO ( ) posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 6:56 PM

This certainly is turning into a lively discussion, so I thought I'd add to the mix, a little bit. Like most of you, I've seen a fair number of people who are clearly using a "copy and paste" comment over and over again. The sad thing is that I often end up disregarding the comment, but I do try to see what I can, first. Like many have pointed out, it often is from a non-english speaker. My own frustration is that between my day job and my way-too-many-interests, I just don't have alot of time to spend here looking and commenting, and it does impact the number of views as well as the number of comments. I think we all tend to build up our own little circles that we mostly concentrate on, and that's good. What worries me is that not long ago someone raised some of the concerns raised here on one of his posts, and was apparently pretty viciously attacked for it. He's withdrawn from Rendo as a result. Now, I might not feel he raised the issue in the best place for it to be discussed, and I think simply withdrawing in response to the attack isn't how I probably would have handled it if it'd been me, but it worries me that something like this would apparently generate such an attack. We all seem to want this to be a good community, so how did this happen?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.