Mon, Sep 9, 7:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Same Old Curious Labs? AKA What is your *!&^$#@ problem?

BAM ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 11:42 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 2:36 AM

Well, does it seem like Curious Labs is still severely troubled? Personally, I am very frustrated with their inability to communicate and keep proper records. I have attempted to contact them 5 different times over the last 3 weeks because I was not included in the P5 pre-order discount. I have IMed them 3 times and only received the canned response "Curious_Labs has received your message". I emailed them and got the response from Tori that "All offers and discounts were sent to qualified users via email". Well, CL and Tori...YOU ARE WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG !!!!!!! I absolutely bought P5 pre-order and suffered through the Beta Program. Hey CL, your records should show this. I have politely emailed them a second time and have received no response. Next, they farm out their ordering to an apparently unprepared and/or incompetent company like Digital River. Because of CL's poor customer service I guess I have missed out on the DR discount too? Finally, all CL seems to do here is come by for hit and runs. Just sad. I guess sales and customer service are unimportant to CL. Pitiful.

zippyozzy ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 11:56 PM

I finally received their newsletter this month after signing up twice. I, personally, can't make heads or tales how they do things on that site. I'm waiting to see if P6 will hit the shelves before I buy. I do not like ordering from websites without zero site support. Have you tried to IM them from here? You,re right though, they only come here to hit & run with their plugs & announcements. (mho) :)

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 12:18 AM

I'm still waiting too. Over 5 weeks with the I'll fix it for you next week for the first 3 and no response the last 2. IM's don't seem to work from here. I got the R'sity notice that they have read the Im's tonight but didn't bother to let me know what's going on. You would think they could have at lest told me they won't do anything. I could have ordered and got the 15% off. I didn't because I was promised a fix. Thanks for your help CL.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 1:28 AM

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I agree that this, especially for loyal, long-time customers, is very bad customer sales and service. With the number of products that I've purchased from CL, my information should be very easily found - and that goes for others as well. Seems to be a complete turkey shoot in who gets an order through and who doesn't. At this stage, there is absolutely nothing that I can do to fix the problem or go forward - the ball has been and still is in their court. As others have done, I've IM'd my information several times and patiently await a response. beryld, you, I, and anyone who was incapable of ordering the pre-order during the first few weeks should have that 15% honored. Call it a raincheck, call it a coupon, but don't call it gone because of their ineptness. With less than two weeks until expected release, they need to sit down and get these problems sorted.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 3:12 AM

Many of us hit snags with the ordering, especially with serial numbers which didn't "take", mostly because EGIsys didn't hand over complete records. We are dealing with a lot more than CL here... there is a defunct former parent company who was responsible for at least part of the accounting. As for CL not being in these forums as much as they were 3-4 years ago? That is the direct fault of the handful of members here who went out of their way to shoot them on site... and who still lie in wait to target any employee of CL. We all lose because of these gunslingers. If a technical person, someone who can actually answer the questions about the features, is driven out to cheers of applause and the self-congratulatory smirks of the jackals, why should anybody else hang around? No one is paying them to be in the forums, and I'm not sure that any sum of money is worth the abuse. Perhaps if we were a little tiny bit friendlier, they might feel like stopping by. I've met many of them, and they are hard-working decent people trying to make a product we can use to make art. Right now they are over-worked and facing a deadline. Instead of cussing them out, how about rephrasing your question so that someone will want to be helpful? Carolly

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 3:41 AM

I have to wonder about this being EGIsys' fault. Remember when Shade was being offered to Poser users at a discount. I believe that it required you to use your Poser serial number to get the discount on the non-Japanese version when released. Now, it seems that EGIsys would have handed over records by then, I suppose, and I was able to use my Poser 5 SN to order Shade Std 7 E for Poser users. So, what happened to my Poser 5 SN between then and now? Any ideas?

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 3:46 AM

Attached Link: http://www.yellowpages.com/

Try calling them on the phone, it's what I do if companies don't react. Often, you get more on 5 minutes of a friendly phonecall than 1 week of angry emailing. Don't bother searching CL's web site for their phone number. They're listed in the phone book.

12rounds ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 4:57 AM · edited Tue, 08 March 2005 at 4:57 AM

Calling from [insert your country here] to US is not always an option ... "call them" seems like the standard response around here, but to actually wake up in the middle of night (when it's business-hours in US), placing a damned expensive overseas phone-call and waiting in line for 15 minutes is not always a very good option...especially to many who write/read English, but aint that great when it comes to actually speaking.

Message edited on: 03/08/2005 04:57

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:10 AM

I have not sent a rude/angry/ anything of that type to them. No reason for it. I have been careful as to how softly I asked what is going on. How long do you have to wait before you are aloud to get angry?

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:53 AM · edited Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:55 AM

I don't know how it's for you, 12rounds, but for me in Germany it's cheaper to place a call to the U.S. than calling someone with a German cell phone. As for business hours, it's safe to call anyone in the U.S. at 8pm CET. Well..maybe it's just me, but I prefer having someone to talk to.

Message edited on: 03/08/2005 05:55

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 6:41 AM

I have had the "not a valid serial" problem. I PMed Curious Labs here and got a quick and friendly answer by Kathy. I was able to purchase the Poser6 pre-order. Hope this helps.

lundqvist ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 7:06 AM
Online Now!

Msg#5: "As for CL not being in these forums as much as they were 3-4 years ago? That is the direct fault of the handful of members here who went out of their way to shoot them on site... and who still lie in wait to target any employee of CL. We all lose because of these gunslingers." A joke, surely? I would assume that CL can take a bit of forum noise in their stride. You would think they'd like to be in amongst their user base. Not everyone was so mean to them that they frightened them away I'd hope.

Chris ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 7:07 AM

compiler wrote: I have had the "not a valid serial" problem. I PMed Curious Labs here and got a quick and friendly answer by Kathy. I was able to purchase the Poser6 pre-order. Hope this helps. Same here ... same procedure ... got my preorder too :) Greets Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

Kristta ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 8:08 AM

There has been a lot of negativity in this particular forum regarding the Poser 6 release and I believe that is what hauksdottir was referring too. It's not just that but can you imagine logging into this forum and having 500 IMs to read and answer in a single night? It could even be more than that. And I am sorry but computers are not fail safe on anything and that is where your purchase information has been stored and kept since you bought P5. All it takes is one person at the now defunct company failing to turn over one hard drive for CL to miss about 1,000 people on a special pre-order of P6. Let's also not forget that the buyers and users of Poser may have started with just a couple hundred with the first release but probably now has more than 10,000 users and buyers so just maybe your info is not right at their finger tips. I figure after saying all this, I'll have to take a nice vacation from this forum. While I'm gone, go ahead and flame the @#%$& out of me. Kristta PS I don't think people around here are too nice sometimes myself so I'll leave and maybe find all the others who have been kicked out.

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 8:59 AM

The Promotion was only for people that signed up to the Newsletter during a specific time period. It may not have been the best marketing concept, but that was the deal. If you signed up again during that time, you would have gotten the coupon as well.

ratscloset
aka John

InfoCentral ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 9:47 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2143085

I can certainly relate to your problems as I am going through the same thing myself. I just wish there was some why to talk to someone there instead of playing this stupid e-mail tag game with them that doesn't seem to end. Read the link on Customer Service and you will see what I am talking about.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 10:35 AM

So is there a point in telling us that you got your orders fixed with no problems? Is there some special email addy you have? Maybe a special club? Oh wait, one of the populars. Must be something. Can't be to gloat and tell us that it is our fault, must have done or said something wrong to make them treat us like this. I have to leave, I haven't started to steam like this in years.

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 10:47 AM

"So is there a point in telling us that you got your orders fixed with no problems?" err... yes there is : in telling you how I did, I thought that you could use the same procedure to get your own problem fixed. Isn't that what a forum is about ? Helping each other ?

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 11:04 AM

Finally, all CL seems to do here is come by for hit and runs. Just sad.

The issue is well-covered by the following statement:

*As for CL not being in these forums as much as they were 3-4 years ago? That is the direct fault of the handful of members here who went out of their way to shoot them on site... and who still lie in wait to target any employee of CL. We all lose because of these gunslingers.

If a technical person, someone who can actually answer the questions about the features, is driven out to cheers of applause and the self-congratulatory smirks of the jackals, why should anybody else hang around? No one is paying them to be in the forums, and I'm not sure that any sum of money is worth the abuse.*

On many issues, Carolly and I utterly disagree. But this isn't one of them.

She's hit the nail squarely on the head here.

Only I wouldn't dignify these nay-sayers by labeling them as "gunslingers"........I'd rather refer to them by a more apt term: whiny little cry-babies.

Every time that Curious Labs peeks into this forum, they find themselves immediately jumped on by shrill......people.........that seem to have nothing better to do than to spend their lives crying into their milk.

If I were CL, then I wouldn't particularly want to hang around these parts. I don't blame them for being "hit or miss" around here.

If my audience consisted of a bunch of kindergarteners yelling "MINE! MINE!!!! ME!!!!! ME!!!!!" -- and then screaming and throwing a tantrum when they didn't get their way -- then I wouldn't see much purpose in attempting to appease such a crowd, either. It's an exercise in futility. So why bother? Just issue an official statement or two, and then go to other places -- places where one can enjoy the company of their fellow adults engaged in adult conversations.

One often hears the analogy about the prevailing culture in the forums being "like herding cats".

No, it's not like herding cats.......that's too self-congratulatory of an analogy.....at least cats maintain a certain level of inward dignity.

A better analogy is that it's like tending a nursery school filled with whiny little brats who can't wipe their own......noses.....without crying hysterically about it.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

DominiqueB ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 11:21 AM

I have sent an e-mail to Curious Labs via their website's contact us page, about being an early adopter of P5. I never got an answer back, nor did I expect one really. P6 will simply not exist for me until I get an answer from them, no insults, no screaming in the forum, just silence from my credit card.

Dominique Digital Cats Media

InfoCentral ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 11:24 AM

Let me get this strait. Curious Labs sends me a coupon for $50 off any order that is $100 or more and is good till June 2005. I place my order but an unable to apply the coupon. I place the order anyways and will have the coupon applied to my order when they correct the problems. I contact Curious Labs who says then can't do anything contact Digital Rivers. I contact Digital Rivers who say they can't don anything contact Curious Labs. I contact Curious Labs who play dumb about the whole coupon issue. Three e-mails, the first over 2 weeks in replying, each taking 4 days and still not resolved. And you call us a "whiny little cry-babies." Reality check...

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 11:27 AM

no insults, no screaming in the forum, just silence from my credit card.

That's an adult solution to an adult problem.

Curious Labs has a lot on their hands right now. And they are a very small company in terms of personnel.

They've already granted extra price breaks for the early-on serial # difficulties which some people experienced.

I'd give them time to work things out.

We'd want the same sort of indulgence for ourselves.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 11:39 AM · edited Tue, 08 March 2005 at 11:39 AM

Let me get this strait. Curious Labs sends me a coupon for $50 off any order that is $100 or more and is good till June 2005. I place my order but an unable to apply the coupon. I place the order anyways and will have the coupon applied to my order when they correct the problems. I contact Curious Labs who says then can't do anything contact Digital Rivers. I contact Digital Rivers who say they can't don anything contact Curious Labs. I contact Curious Labs who play dumb about the whole coupon issue. Three e-mails, the first over 2 weeks in replying, each taking 4 days and still not resolved. And you call us a "whiny little cry-babies." Reality check...

I can't say that I've noted the "whiny" tendencies of some manifesting themselves in your particular posts.

There's nothing wrong with noting a problem. I've had problems with various companies before, myself.

But there is something wrong with attacking CL every time that they post in here.

If we wish to drive them off, then that's a good way to accomplish it.

Yelling at Katherine is equivalent to yelling at some hapless sales girl behind a store counter because the central office shipped you the wrong color of lace dolies.

In my experience, the quiet approach always works best.

Yelling is a good way to get people to ignore you. Message edited on: 03/08/2005 11:39

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 11:51 AM

I went and had a good walk out in the fields. Feel much better. "They've already granted extra price breaks for the early-on serial # difficulties which some people experienced." Some of us didn't get a chance with that one. How is stringing someone along, "we'll get you fixed up next week, every week," but next week never comes acting like an adult. I even stated in my first post, if anyone bothered to read it, that if they would have told me they wouldn't do anything to help, I could at lest have taken advantage of that savings. compiler- sorry, nothing personal. I was just getting flustered at the fact that we have said we,ve done the same as you with no results.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 12:08 PM

I signed up for the newsletter. Got it with no problem. Ordering P6 this week. Dont expect any there either. :: shrug :: Results may vary, guys.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 3:28 PM

Contact Digital Rivers again. (Americas Store) 952-646-5000 -or- 800-656-5426 (Global Store) 0044 (0) 870 44 32188 Explain that you could not get the Coupon to apply. Give them your order number and your Coupon Code. CL is right, there is nothing they can do about it. Digital Rivers is a Marketing Company for several companies, and depending on what call center your call is placed through will depend on your answer. They came up with a unique solution for me and I am happy. I should not have placed the order when the Coupon did not take, but I thought it could easily be fixed. It took almost a month of polite E-mails (6), IMs (3), and Phone Calls (2) to resolve the issue. On the other hand, if I had been a whiney little cry-baby demanding satisfaction, I would not expect to get the issue resolved.

ratscloset
aka John

EdW ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 3:37 PM

I sent an email to CL on Feb 17 about the upgrade for early P5 buyers... I got an answer today March 8. This might give you an idea on how bad they are backed up. In the email, Tori says they are having to verify addresses, purchase dates and such from old records (my guess is old paper records) and it is really a slow process. CL is not a big company with 100s of people handling these orders, emails and other problems. I did order P6 before I recieved this email and I am eligible for the early buyer upgrade. It will take an email or 2 or a phone call to digital river to get this adjusted, but it will get straightened out. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject

FishNose ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 3:55 PM

'nuff said. :] Fish

Qualien ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 4:43 PM

I absolutely bought P5 pre-order and suffered through the Beta Program.
So did I. I thought I might not have been offered the pre-order discount because I changed my email address a while back and lost my old one. I emailed CL asking for the pre-order discount, but received an offer to upgrade for the non-pre-order discount price, which I did.

I just got this email:

Thank you for contacting Curious Labs regarding the Poser 5 Early Adopters Promotion. We apologize for the delay in responding, as we have had to verify all addresses against our previous lists. We have determined you are eligible for this special price to preorder Poser 6...

If you have any difficulties in placing your order, or have already placed an order and want to receive this discount, please contact Digital River directly at:

(Americas Store) 952-646-5000 -or- 800-656-5426
(Global Store) 0044 (0) 870 44 32188

Qualien ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:09 PM

I just called Digital River, gave my order number, was put straight through to an operator named Kim. She cancelled my old order and I got on CL's site and placed a new one, WITH THE DISCOUNT!

This only took about 15 minutes. Not bad when it was probably my fault that I did not get the upgrade notification in the first place (because of my old email address being on file at CL).

Good luck with your prob BAM, maybe you will get it sorted out eventually too.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:29 PM

I find it strange that you all think it's a sin to have a legit complaint, but it's OK to call people names and say it's all their fault. I was so looking forward to buying P6 that after 5 weeks, and a hell of a lot of emails and IM's, very polite to the point of gaging, that I finally said something. Iv'e been quiet about this since Dec. where it started till now. I'm amazed at the hostility towards me and the bragging on how you got what you wanted. Can you truely say you would not be disappointed if you had to wait as long as I have and take it with salt and vinegar. Not to mention the community that you have supported for a few years, turns on you without any thought. I just want an answer so I can go buy my P6. Sorry that that is a sin to you. BTW, nobody here has bashed the software. We wouldn't be complaining about not being able to buy P6 if we were.

Wombat ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 7:11 PM

For me there is only one answer to that problems: Next time for sure not to buy early. I will wait! Thomas

InfoCentral ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 7:13 PM

Yes, I did contact Digital Rivers and they did say I could cancel my order and then reorder it and apply the coupon to that order. Here is the Brain Teaser Question: Why would I not want to take them up on this offer?

Ironbear ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 1:28 AM

"As for CL not being in these forums as much as they were 3-4 years ago? That is the direct fault of the handful of members here who went out of their way to shoot them on site... and who still lie in wait to target any employee of CL. We all lose because of these gunslingers." - Carolly

We are the terror that flaps on the 'Net! ;)

Dragged out by Hauksdottir as a boogeyman to frighten children and CL employees with. How mortifying. yawn

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 1:35 AM

A few more notches and you'll cut through to the barrel... and THAT ought to be interesting.

InfoCentral ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 8:06 AM

Just received another e-mail from Curious Labs. Now they say they have "put a request in for an investigation." What is going on! They have my order. They have my coupon. Just honor it. What investigation? They just keep dragging this on and on and on for no reason. I can only guess they are trying to figure out some way they can come up with so they won't have to honor thier coupon.

GWeb ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 12:16 PM

Silent him >:)

Caly ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 2:00 PM

Got to admit their Customer Service leaves much to be desired. Or maybe they have a list of their favorite people and everyone else gets to wait.... I pre-ordered, had my credit card info stolen, contacted these guys 2/25 to try to change the payment method. First you have to go through hoops on their web-site & you're forced to choose drop-down menu topics when you send them a question. Faced with no topic that matched my problem I picked the closest, Invoice, then typed in what the problem was. They did not read my e-mail at all, and rather sent me instructions on how to see my invoice online. This was after a day or two. So I sent them the e-mail again and asked them to actually read it. A few days later they've cancelled my order. "Sorry, there's no way to simply change your payment method. Please order again." Yes, but when I go to order now the special pricing is gone. So I sent them another e-mail about that. And they didn't read it again. I've received a few more "Thanks, we have cancelled your order" e-mails as I keep trying to point out the issue is now with actually ordering & prices. Finally I demanded a phone number. I have just received one in an e-mail. Today is 3/9. >< Now to see what happens... Geesh

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Wombat ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 2:39 PM

To preorder curious labs products is an adventure..really.

Wombat ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 2:39 PM

To preorder curious labs products is an adventure..really.

Ironbear ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 9:45 PM

"A few more notches and you'll cut through to the barrel... and THAT ought to be interesting." - Carolly

If CL pulls another P5 and bends all of these folks over and breaks it off in them again, you'll at least be able to list Judas Goat on your resume. THAT ought to be interesting. ;] Not that I'll give Curious Labs too hard a time over that, this time around: when they have this many people begging them to do it to them once again, and so many people like you running interference for them, the temptation has just got to be overwhelming for poor old Weinberg.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 1:20 AM

Larry gave us a reasonably comprehensive program for pennies... and it forced the bigger players to drop their prices. When I looked at Maya a few years back, it would have been $30,000 for a single basic seat of the software and more for the add-ons PLUS another $12,000 for the SGI box to run it on. Now? Maya, Lightwave, 3DStudio are all under $10,000 and an independent artist working at home can afford any of them. For that we all should be grateful. We have choice. Poser isn't perfect. I run into walls with it, too. But I didn't pay $30,000 either. (For that sort of price I'd expect it to read my mind, render the movie, and provide fresh buttered popcorn.) For what it does, Poser is an incredible value... and allows even hobbyists to make art and to share it. As much as we snicker at NVITWAS, the average joe has made an image and put his name on it and was brave enough to post it in public. He got views and got ego strokes and after a roguh day in the office that has value. It might not be Art, but it has made him happier. You might not like happy hobbyists, but depriving a couple hundred thousand people of a tool just to feed your own ego seems terribly selfish to me. So... what have YOU given the community? Larry gave us an award-winning piece of software that allows us all to make something according to our skills, and priced it within our budget. What in high heaven have you done? Carolly

Caly ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 7:17 AM

The price & use of Poser isn't the point Carolly. lol Just reminded me of my e-mails with their customer service. What happened when Poser 5 came out tarnished CL's reputation. Now, once again, on "faith" many are venturing into the CL waters. Even though they seem to be going about promoting Poser 6 the same way. We really don't know what we're paying for yet. Me, I figured I skipped P5 anyways, so not much to lose. I'll just be picking up a few more figures while the bugs get ironed out.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 7:26 AM

What I'm going to be interested in seeing is how many naysayers currently excercising their vast talents of prejudgement, if proven wrong by CL having a near flawless release of P6 (note the phrase near flawless. No software is perfect), will have the same level of moral courage to admit they were wrong as they seem to possess the moral outrage to keep a 2 year old fubar bright and shiny enough to take out and wave in people's faces. I rather doubt there will be many.

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 7:42 AM

Actually Caly, it isn't on 'faith'. It's based on how the entire program -series- has performed. P5 was the proverbial royal mongolian clusterf*ck of a release, no question. However, we also know that CL's parent company was in the process of going under...and being owned, CL didn't have any choice in the release matter except to obey their bosses. And you have to factor in exactly what was under the hood; P5 was a quantum leap over the 4 previous versions. The hair room by itself would have been a monster to perfect in one shot...and they had that, the dynamic cloth, the face room. I've said it before; the fact that P5 works at all is more than slightly amazing. P4's release was a bugfest as well...remember? All that's really changed in the dynamic is us, the users. Back then, people experimented and found uses for the bugs, and turned them into features. Now, there is much more of a 'I want it now and I don't want to think about it' mentality...which isn't exactly compatible with CG artwork at any realistic level. EGISys never impressed me as a stable company; it seemed too much like one of the many dotcom start ups that didn't have the business sense needed. E-frontier is a very different animal, being on release 7 of a popular pro modellingrendering app, and having survived in one of the more brutal business environments in the world. CL has the support of a company that has the capitol and the technical expertise to actually be an active partner in the process. That =does= change the equation a bit. At least in my book.

InfoCentral ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 5:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.s1.hashmirror.com/ftp/VM/Hx_animation/evolution.html

You know what this is all? Its all about customer service or the lack there of. I shouldn't take 8 e-mails and 2 phone calls to get something corrected. Now you would think that given the order number and given the coupon number that an adjustment would be made. 2 + 2 = 4. But no. 2 + 2 = we have to look into now. Go figure. As far as Poser being the reason for dropping the prices on high end software you may want to look at a video on the history of 3D applications.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 5:54 PM

Makes ya proud to have been an Amiga user, doesn't it? ;0)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Ironbear ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 5:56 PM

"few more notches and you'll cut through to the barrel..." - Carolly

You carve notches on the grips, not the barrels. And gunslingers don't carve notches - we leave that to the movie lot gunfighter wannabes like you. > "So... what have YOU given the community?" - Carrolly

Quite a bit. And you? Nice to see you reaching so fast for the last refuge of the rhetorically incompetent. Drugstore gunslinger. > "You might not like happy hobbyists, but depriving a couple hundred thousand people of a tool just to feed your own ego seems terribly selfish to me." - Carrolly

You might not like people pointing out that CL looks to be repeating a number of the same behaviours they have in previous releases, but enabling them in that potential behavior at the potential expense of your fellow community members merely to feed your ego seems terribly pernicious to me. > "Larry gave us a reasonably comprehensive program for pennies... and it forced the bigger players to drop their prices." - Carolly

That's an interesting interpretation of the reasons the pro-end companies dropped their prices. And you are basing that on what, precisely? Larry also spent a number of posts in this forum and the Beta forum here last release accusing legetimate users with problems of warezing, rather than admit there might be problems. It took Kammerer finally badgering Cooper almost into a breakdown in Beta forum before Steve Cooper finally admitted in detail what the situations behind the release were. A conveniently deleted forum now, which is an excellent thing for the revisionist history afficianados like yourself. > "What I'm going to be interested in seeing is how many naysayers currently excercising their vast talents of prejudgement, if proven wrong by CL having a near flawless release of P6 (note the phrase near flawless." - DaleB

I haven't prejudged the software, Dale. It hasn't been released yet. However, the same can't be said for Carroly and a number of the others who are jumping rabidly at the throats of anyone who dares to state that CL doesn't exactly have a good track record over the past six years. They're making the same "prejuding" error that you're accusing the naysayers of: prejudging that it's going to be a truly wondrous thing. And having watched that company, Wienberg included, and it's past actions in regards to this community, the weight of evidence is strongly in favor of the pessimistic. Many of the same people are still managing the Poser end of the company even after e-Frontiers bought it, so insisting they've turned a new leaf is a bit premature. Wait and see. I don't have a real problem with Poser, nor with CL as it currently exists. Yet. I'll reserve judgement on that to see what the release looks like, and what the actual [non-Rendo forums] reviews say. I do have a problem with the rabid fanboys who seem to be taking it as a deeply personal affront whenever someone mentions the past history, and suggests that waiting might be a better plan. Or suggests that they're not going to buy the new version because they no longer trust CL after the previous one. The people who were burned in this before have a perfect right to express their opinions and histories with the previous release, and to point to links, and to suggest that people coming into this more recently might want to wait and see what happens before pulling out the credit cards. ANd to point out problems with the current pre-order. They have every much a right to do so as someone has to ignore that and pre-order it anyway. And they both have a right to do it without having the CL Suckup Brigade tar and feather them based on nothing except bile and wishful thinking. I'm not going to prejudge P6 at all, aside from what I see as well deserved skepticism. I will prejudge hell out of the poserites playing Judas Goat for their supposed friends and fellow community members. Gorra problem with that, mate? > "Actually Caly, it isn't on 'faith'. It's based on how the entire program -series- has performed." - DaleB

And so was Poser 4. I remember the unfixed buglists from that one that still weren't fixed several years after. I still have links to several of them. And PPP was a clusterfuck. And P5.... and there were quite a few people like John Hoagland who dug into the guts of P5 and figured out that many of the unaddressed bugs from P4 were still present. It's the same codebase. And Keohane's already stated back aways that they're not addressing the codebase in this version: it's going to be SR5.5, with some new 3rd party add-ons. Look up the "new features" yourself: they're all things that are incorporated into the current Pixels3D Tempest engine. Just hooks added, Tempest features incorporated, and switches enabled. No makey. Lets us hope tha tWienberg learned from the last experience and now has a handle on how to incorporate 3rd party features into his six year old code withoyt adding new breakage. He should by now. I hope it works. Just don't kid yourself that you're getting something new aside from the bolt-on toys and possibly a new SR. Comapnies already said what the case is. Buy it or don't buy it on that basis, but do it on a real appraisal, based on your knowledge of how Wienberg's coding's worked in the past, not on wishful thinking. > "P4's release was a bugfest as well...remember? All that's really changed in the dynamic is us, the users." - DaleB

And not much, or always for the better at that. ;) I recall that you were pretty hot on the Lynch CL bandwagon following Poser 5. I'd have to page through old links to verify, and I'm lazy atm, but we were in a lot of the same threads back then, no? > "However, we also know that CL's parent company was in the process of going under...and being owned, CL didn't have any choice in the release matter except to obey their bosses." - DaleB

So they've said. And all of the people who've said it were in the CL side of the equation - and the recently canned side too boot - not on the EGIsys side of it. The outright misrepresentations that many of them propogated on their customer base and later copped to renders them less then sterling sources on that. EGIsys makes an easy target for that, and there's no corroborating nor conflicting statements. Those people proved their word wasn't trustworthy on P5 - why should it be trustworthy on "who's fault it was"? So much for "not on faith, Caly". > " E-frontier is a very different animal, being on release 7 of a popular pro modellingrendering app, and having survived in one of the more brutal business environments in the world. CL has the support of a company that has the capitol and the technical expertise to actually be an active partner in the process." - DaleB

I agree. A problem with this is that they kept one of the key components to the previous fiascos.... that should give anyone with a memory longer than 2 weeks - to swipe Legume's infamous phrase - a bit of pause. Two of them, counting Keohane... however he seems to be missing from the current CL exec lineup. However, if P6 bombs, they can always blame Unka Larry. > "And you have to factor in exactly what was under the hood; P5 was a quantum leap over the 4 previous versions." - DaleB

I am factoring in exactly what was under the hood: Poser 4 code with 3rd party plugins. Hair, the dynamic cloth, the face room - none of that was a CL engineered innovation. It was all bought and plugged in. Again, go hunt up the antecedents of the "new" features. Shadow catching, ambient occulisions, subsurface scattering - all additions to the tempest engine and the Pixel's 3D app, not CL written. Bet on it. The quantum leap isn't coming from Weinberg or CL - he hasn't managed a quantum leap since Poser 2 to Poseer 3. ************************************ Pretty muchly, Dale, Carroly, we'll see. If Poser 6 is going to be worth the release price, then it will be in spite of the naysayers. If it isn't, then it won't be in spite of your hyperventilating over it. Curious Labs can handle their own PR. They don't need you to run interference for them. Hire on there as a PR flack, and be an honest whore. And get paid for it.

• Monkeysmell

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 8:32 PM

I was one of the ones who seemed to not be having the kinds of trouble others were Bear, and asking about things like system configuration, to see if maybe the problem was solvable by cleaning up some issues at the user end. I work retail for a living. I'm already an honest whore. >:) I'm factoring the 3rd party plugins, new rendering engine, and so on myself. On top of aging, Mac based-Windows ported code. As I've said before, it was a miracle it runs at all, never mind how well it runs. I haven't made up my mind at the moment, as I don't have the app in hand to decide -with- (but frankly, I'm a little concerned with the instability that OpenGL could introduce). People do have the right to be hesitant, if they feel the need. But frankly, there has been more than a little exhumation of vitriol that should have been left buried a year ago. So P5 sucked rocks out of the gate. That was 2 years ago. This is P6. Those who will never touch another CL app to save their life are pretty much irrelevant in this matter...save only as a vocal minority, much of which apparently won't feel happy until they find the coffin and stake the bloodsucker personally. My concerns are more for the newbies who weren't here, and have no idea of the past history of the debate, and the personalities behind it. If it falls on its ass well and good. It will deserve the roasting it gets. But fairness demands that it be allowed to make the attempt, without mean spirited attempts at sabotage. And that isn't accusing you, Bear, but you can't deny that some of the rubbish has been just that. Hells bells, we're even getting naysayers over in the Vue forum about Infinite, and that tends to be one of the most laid back fora here. Makes me wonder what's being put in the water, y'know?

Qualien ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 9:14 PM

Makes me wonder what's being put in the water, y'know?

Not Kryptonite Kool-Aid, I hope. But to echo the sentiments of some much Poser-smart than i: If we don't upgrade to P6, who will? And if no one will will there be a P7?

Money makes the economy go round and no one should have to be stupid enough to cough up $89 or $129 or god-knows-how-many-euros for nothing on faith. But whether we use Poser for work or enjoy it as a hobby or even as a revenue stream on DAZ, what is the existence of a P7 worth to us? Surely more than nothing.

Sometimes it may not be stupid to give loyalty to those who do not necessarily seem, right now, to be worthy of it.

God knows I don't want the job of writing the code, or the task of selling it to the unwashed masses (of whom I am one), but someone has to do it, or surely there will never be a P7, and I for one want to see it.

Ironbear ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 10:27 PM

Might surpise you, but I actually agree with you, Dale. Especially on given the ancient code based that wasn't designed to interface with the new coding, I think they did wonderfuly to get SR4 stable. And that's not a slap - it's an honest assessment of the coding problems from someone who used to play wih code. That's why I'm not taking Poser 6 apart before it even hits the shelves. I know what kind of mess e-Frontiers inherited. Same time, that "Don't prejudge" crap that people keep spouting cuts both ways. Agree? There is no more basis for the assumption that e-Frontiers wil force Wienberg to pull a habit out of his rat this time than there is to assume that P6 will be a P5 fiasco. However, the skeptics have a lot more weight of experience on their side than the optimists. ;] Especially since a lot of the business model history looks to be repeating itself. There's an easy way to get me out of the discussion: the CL apologists can back the fuck up and let the buyers make up their minds without them running interference for CL. Let CL do their own PR. Let CL make their own announcements, without the forum weasel brigade advance selling it for them. Wait and see what they actually deliver, rather than encuraging people to pre-order on hype. Let them actually show if they've learned anything, and if they're serious about making good on their past fiascos. Let them deliver, or not. Then determine what to do if it's "Not". Don't want to wait for that, get ready to deal with the old wolves like me that don't like seeing the community shafted with the tacit and implict aid of its own. Like I said, Curious Labs can do this without ya'll's help and without my hindance. But if they get the one, you will get the other. And I won't bother with CL much this time - I'll let them wreck themselves: I'll go straight for the Judas Goats. Bank on it. ;)

• Monkeysmell

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.